Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crux gave me mild motion sickness

• Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    The crux and also the Runespite Ward are both pretty nauseating in 1st person

First person itself is nauseating.

We should totally ban first person too. /S
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont play in first person but I find Crux really cool for a character mechanic effect, I wish the base classes had something
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I only play 1st person view and these rotating crux triangles are unbearable, makes you really sick. When I see others running around with them its no problem, but around yourself... Please, ZOS, make them go away asap!
  • E_Lucan
    E_Lucan
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree on this, I'm in the same boat. I love the DLC so far and I want to enjoy it but running around in a dimly lit dungeon with three obnoxiously bright rotating triangles at the edge of where I'm focusing on constantly is giving me a headache. Maybe it's a new strategy to prevent you from playing for too long at a time, you get a migraine after 2 hours of looking at it so you have to take a break lol
  • blueprudence
    blueprudence
    ✭✭
    Please add migraines to the dev request. I'm 18 hours into a blinder which triptan & codeine hasn't shifted.

*Goes back to sleep, with her cold face cloth in a darkened room.
  • Dreaders123
    Dreaders123
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have passed this on to the dev team and they are investigating possible ways to address this issue of motion sickness. We'll update once we know more.

Please include nausea and eye strain with the colour selection and no way to tone it down. Multiple arcanists in a group and I needed to log off, and I don't seem to be alone. It's a really bright green set of effects against normally dark backgrounds - that's a recipe for damaged eyes long term and eye strain short for a very many people.
  • Dreaders123
    Dreaders123
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have passed this on to the dev team and they are investigating possible ways to address this issue of motion sickness. We'll update once we know more.

We have been bringing it up for months! Both motion sickness and headaches/eye pain.

Better late than never, but I couldn't even get an answer on stream when they were specifically discussing their abilities. Not even a we'll pass that feedback along. I don't know if they just didn't see it or not. But, it was pretty disappointing how long this feedback was offered without reply.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it now and hope this issue is fixed sooner rather than later for the sake of affected players.

I never used PTS but I saw this beiing consistently called out on Twitch streams, and it's been called out in PTS forums. Sadly it's now urgent.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont play in first person but I find Crux really cool for a character mechanic effect, I wish the base classes had something

If all classes had a similar constant obnoxious effect, I'd have to stop playing ESO :(

Also I play in 3d person.
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »

If all classes had a similar constant obnoxious effect, I'd have to stop playing ESO :(

Also I play in 3d person.

I find that looking down in third person can lessen the impact of the crux particles.

If anyone asks why you're looking at the ground just say you are RPing as a submissive.
    Edited by Dr_Con on June 6, 2023 9:23AM
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anybody got a video of what effect exactly is giving you guys motion sickness? I don't get it.

I'm not dismissing your experience, I'm just curious.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry no video, but to me it's the bright neon green pyramids that float around your character constantly:
    0sbglk60o7wa.jpg

Nerevar forget!
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    The effects have really put me off playing the class, which is a shame. It looks like fun.

I would definitely like to see the effects turned down and the circling triangles replaced or removed.

A longer term alternative would be to give us the option to turn off effects for either our characters and/or other players and also the option to limit effects to essential group skills only. That way, everyone could control what they see on their screen and the people who like the effects wouldn't have their enjoyment spoilt.
  • E_Lucan
    E_Lucan
    ✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    Anybody got a video of what effect exactly is giving you guys motion sickness? I don't get it.

I'm not dismissing your experience, I'm just curious.

The triangles floating around your character. When I'm playing (in third person), I'm looking at where my character is going, but the triangles are very bright and constantly moving. This tends to drag my focus forcefully to where they are, so there's a constant battle going on between where I'm trying to look and where my eyes are trying to focus due to the motion and effects, so for me this is what causes the issues. I don't get strong nausea but I do get pretty bad headaches from it.

For some people it might just simply be that the triangles are rotating in one direction perpetually and the rest of the environment is moving in a different direction (when they're walking). The triangles are very bright and fairly quick so they're hard to ignore. In first person, they're constantly drifting across your screen and blocking parts of your vision, which is also not great ofc.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One of the first things I do when creating a new character (after re-binding all the keys... seriously, why do I have to do that?!?), is shifting the camera view in 3rd person so they're exactly in the centre of the screen. I feel that helps a bit with the rotation because they're now swirling around the point where you're looking anyway. (That said, I don't know how people play with off-centre characters.)
  • E_Lucan
    E_Lucan
    ✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    One of the first things I do when creating a new character (after re-binding all the keys... seriously, why do I have to do that?!?), is shifting the camera view in 3rd person so they're exactly in the centre of the screen. I feel that helps a bit with the rotation because they're now swirling around the point where you're looking anyway. (That said, I don't know how people play with off-centre characters.)

It's definitely a matter of habit - I play with off-centre characters because if they're in the middle of the screen I can't see what's directly in front of them since they're blocking the view, and I find myself rotating the camera to make up for it anyway. I might try this though if the crux becomes too bothersome, though I hope they invent some sort of fix for it that just lets me switch off the visuals or make them static or something so I don't have to get used to a new camera angle just to play the game migraine-free lol
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give the dev responsible for adjusting visuals a task of doing Alik'r dolmens incognito for a while now when plenty of arcanists are grinding there at same time.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Please include nausea and eye strain with the colour selection and no way to tone it down. Multiple arcanists in a group and I needed to log off, and I don't seem to be alone. It's a really bright green set of effects against normally dark backgrounds - that's a recipe for damaged eyes long term and eye strain short for a very many people.

Yep, we have passed that info over to the team as well. Thank you for the added context!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I hope is that we either get an option to disable the crux visuals or make them vanish when you are out of combat,

I don't want to take away the effect for those who enjoy it, but to me the constant visual effect is to distracting.

Nerevar forget!
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What I hope is that we either get an option to disable the crux visuals or make them vanish when you are out of combat,

I don't want to take away the effect for those who enjoy it, but to me the constant visual effect is to distracting.

You can remove your crux by simply using fatecarver once as temporary workaround. You don't need a target to do so, just beam anywhere and crux is gone till you stack it again.

PS: Thanks for also understanding that a lot of us really have fun with the new class, just the way it works.
    Edited by Braffin on June 6, 2023 12:49PM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just reduce the rotation speed to like a tenth of what it currently is. That's a super easy solve since it requires nothing more than a quick adjustment of a variable in the vfx system.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    You can remove your crux by simply using fatecarver once as temporary workaround. You don't need a target to do so, just beam anywhere and crux is gone till you stack it again.

Its good to know that there is existing a workaround, but I am quite sure that a lot of people will be affected who dont read the forums. There shouldnt be any visual effects in a game that can do harm to people and need a workaround.

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »

Its good to know that there is existing a workaround, but I am quite sure that a lot of people will be affected who dont read the forums. There shouldnt be any visual effects in a game that can do harm to people and need a workaround.

There is no need to read this on the forums. Spending crux is the core mechanic of arcanist and every tooltip (for example fatecarver's) is telling you how to spend them.

To be clear on this: I care for people which are indeed affected by crux due to motion sickness and a solution for that has to be imminent.
    But if this is becoming a topic about demanding "change arcanist visuals in general, because I don't like it and I find they aren't fitting eso", then my answer is no.
    We can of course talk about a general solution of unwanted visual caused by other players, but that's a discussion not limited to arcanist.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they could replace or give the option to replace the animation with a static rune over the head of the character that gets bigger the more stacks you get.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The crux actually made me feel slightly nauseous,
    this have never happened to me in a game before but it's hard to take the eyes of those bright green floating pyramids :s:o
    Do you play 1st person or 3rd person view?
    I have a few friends who avoid FPS games because of motion sickness they feel while playing.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • E_Lucan
    E_Lucan
    ✭✭✭

To be clear on this: I care for people which are indeed affected by crux due to motion sickness and a solution for that has to be imminent.
    But if this is becoming a topic about demanding "change arcanist visuals in general, because I don't like it and I find they aren't fitting eso", then my answer is no.
    We can of course talk about a general solution of unwanted visual caused by other players, but that's a discussion not limited to arcanist.

I'm kind of surprised by how quickly this has turned into such an "us vs. them" situation - not reacting to what you said per se, no hate to you, but this is something I see come up related to this so often and it puzzles me.

Many of the threads on this that I personally have seen are often solely people who have fairly serious health problems as a result of looking at the class visuals, and yet I see people come to the threads and respond like the people who are trying to enjoy the game but actually can't because of a health problem are actively trying to ruin their gameplay experience.

I think there are always going to be people who dislike the class visuals, or anything else - there's always a small percentage of people who are unhappy, at all times, and naturally they'd use the health argument to boost their own complaints about the topic. But it almost feels as though these people are sort of being lumped together with people who get migraines or nausea due to the crux effects, and it's really odd. It doesn't need to be extreme vs. extreme, we could just all agree to have a toggle for the crux visuals, or to have them only show in combat, or to have a static version of them, and we could leave the "I hate the arcanist and want to change all the visuals and style" people to lead that debate somewhere else, right?

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    E_Lucan wrote: »

I'm kind of surprised by how quickly this has turned into such an "us vs. them" situation - not reacting to what you said per se, no hate to you, but this is something I see come up related to this so often and it puzzles me.

Many of the threads on this that I personally have seen are often solely people who have fairly serious health problems as a result of looking at the class visuals, and yet I see people come to the threads and respond like the people who are trying to enjoy the game but actually can't because of a health problem are actively trying to ruin their gameplay experience.

I think there are always going to be people who dislike the class visuals, or anything else - there's always a small percentage of people who are unhappy, at all times, and naturally they'd use the health argument to boost their own complaints about the topic. But it almost feels as though these people are sort of being lumped together with people who get migraines or nausea due to the crux effects, and it's really odd. It doesn't need to be extreme vs. extreme, we could just all agree to have a toggle for the crux visuals, or to have them only show in combat, or to have a static version of them, and we could leave the "I hate the arcanist and want to change all the visuals and style" people to lead that debate somewhere else, right?

Your're completely right on this, I agree.

That's why I wanted to clarify in the post above, there is a difference between health-wise limitations (which needs to adressed asap. that's why I provided a workaround) and people hiding their personal agenda behind this affected group. The latter is in my opinion just shabby and deserves no further attention.
    Edited by Braffin on June 6, 2023 1:36PM
    ---
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a solution to only have these effects show in combat, because when you have multiple players at a dolmen or even just in a group and several of them are using the effects (or even just one of them) then they would still be a massive problem as it would be in combat. There needs to be the option to disable such effects both on you and on others, preferably with some other form of display that isn't visually intrusive.
  • E_Lucan
    E_Lucan
    ✭✭✭

Your're completely right on this, I agree.

That's why I wanted to clarify in the post above, there is a difference between health-wise limitations (which needs to adressed asap. that's why I provided a workaround) and people hiding their personal agenda behind this affected group. The latter is in my opinion just shabby and deserves no further attention.

Thank you, and yeah! I happen to be one of the people who can't fully enjoy the class rn and it's a shame, because I was looking forward to it for quite a bit and, when they're not giving me a migraine, I do quite like the class visuals and overall style (admittedly I base too many of my characters on colours and was waiting for ages for a nice green-themed class lol). So here's hoping ZOS implements something good to remedy the situation and we can all stop having to dodge people who are hiding their plain dislike behind the health discussion.

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's not a solution to only have these effects show in combat, because when you have multiple players at a dolmen or even just in a group and several of them are using the effects (or even just one of them) then they would still be a massive problem as it would be in combat. There needs to be the option to disable such effects both on you and on others, preferably with some other form of display that isn't visually intrusive.

As far as most people affected by motion sickness report it's the desired solution to at least have the option to turn them off out of combat. That's something I support.

We're also not talking about "these effects" but only one of them, namely crux, as only the combination of color and rotation is causing this problems. Fatecarver for example can't do that, as color alone isn't enough to trigger motion sickness.

The sorc's twilight DOES trigger motion sickness btw, nonetheless I see quite some people ranting here against arcanist while refusing to acknowledge this problem entirely in other threads.

Edited for addition:

If you don't believe that, you may see for yourself in this thread. Very insightful to say the least.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/discussion/622230/twilight-matriarch-appreciation-thread
    Edited by Braffin on June 6, 2023 2:01PM
    ---
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me about an hour to decide that, "Yeah, these stupid spinning triangles are annoying [snip]", and that I could get rid of the ones around me by using a non-targeted skill that consumes them after combat. This was in 3rd person. If I was stuck playing in 1st person I'd never play my arcanist and would probably want a refund, as they go from an annoyance to nausea-inducing.

@ZOS_Kevin if the dev team is asking how common this complaint is, add me to the list.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 10, 2023 4:30PM