The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Necromancer, a heavily neglected class

• Utt of the Freezing Tomb
    techprince wrote: »
    1. Has no Major Brutality/Sorcery/Savagery/Prophecy buffs. Potential abilities for the said effects: Bone Armor/Skeletal Mage/Spirit Mender
    2. Has no Gap Closers, no speed buffs. Potential abilities for the said effects: Expunge/Bitter Harvest
    3. Has no snare and immobilisation removal or immunity skill. Potential abilities for the said effects: Expunge/Bitter Harvest
    4. Has no dedicated execute. The passive Death Kneel only activates at 25% which is practically useless in PvP. Potential abilities for the said effects: Death Scythe. Convert Flame Clench into an execute. Restore Shock Clench's stun.
    5. Has no instant CC. Ground CCs are extremely slow. The totem is also bugged and fears only on 2nd tick i.e. after 4 seconds. Increase the animation speed of Grave Grasp and Allow Agony Totem to instantly fear.
    6. Single target spammable has the slowest projectile speed. Increase the projectile speed of Flame Skull and morphs. Attach some status effects other than just damage increase.
    7. Major Vulnerability and Empower were given to others via items and sets. So the class no longer has anything unique to offer to the group. Allow Skeletal Mage to apply Minor Vulnerability on the target OR increase the duration of Minor Vulnerability from the synergy of Agony Totem to 15-16 seconds. Allow Empowering Grasp to apply Minor Courage to the Allies and Ghostly Embrace to apply Minor Cowardice/Minor Brittle to the enemies. Separate these two morphs, and shift all negative effects from Empowering Grasp to Ghostly Embrace. One for allies, one for enemies.
    8. Spirit Guardian dies too early. Its health has been reduced significantly. Buff its health back to some decent amount.
    9. Blastbones can no longer chase targets effectively as their movement speed is low and pathing is terrible. Increase the movement speed of blastbones, fix its AI pathing.
    10. And the list goes on.

This may not affect PvE or Stamina Necromancers as much but what about Magicka Necromancers

Read my post https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/639032/necromancer-need-some-love-again-here-some-suggested-of-changes-to-balance-necromancer#latest
    Yes
    Yes
    1. Has no Major Brutality/Sorcery/Savagery/Prophecy buffs. Potential abilities for the said effects: Bone Armor/Skeletal Mage/Spirit Mender
    2. Has no Gap Closers, no speed buffs. Potential abilities for the said effects: Expunge/Bitter Harvest
    3. Has no snare and immobilisation removal or immunity skill. Potential abilities for the said effects: Expunge/Bitter Harvest
    4. Has no dedicated execute. The passive Death Kneel only activates at 25% which is practically useless in PvP. Potential abilities for the said effects: Death Scythe. Convert Flame Clench into an execute. Restore Shock Clench's stun.
    5. Has no instant CC. Ground CCs are extremely slow. The totem is also bugged and fears only on 2nd tick i.e. after 4 seconds. Increase the animation speed of Grave Grasp and Allow Agony Totem to instantly fear.
    6. Single target spammable has the slowest projectile speed. Increase the projectile speed of Flame Skull and morphs. Attach some status effects other than just damage increase.
    7. Major Vulnerability and Empower were given to others via items and sets. So the class no longer has anything unique to offer to the group. Allow Skeletal Mage to apply Minor Vulnerability on the target OR increase the duration of Minor Vulnerability from the synergy of Agony Totem to 15-16 seconds. Allow Empowering Grasp to apply Minor Courage to the Allies and Ghostly Embrace to apply Minor Cowardice/Minor Brittle to the enemies. Separate these two morphs, and shift all negative effects from Empowering Grasp to Ghostly Embrace. One for allies, one for enemies.
    8. Spirit Guardian dies too early. Its health has been reduced significantly. Buff its health back to some decent amount.
    9. Blastbones can no longer chase targets effectively as their movement speed is low and pathing is terrible. Increase the movement speed of blastbones, fix its AI pathing.
    10. And the list goes on.

This may not affect PvE or Stamina Necromancers as much but what about Magicka Necromancers?

Edit: Added some potential solutions.

Read my post about necromancer
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/639032/necromancer-need-some-love-again-here-some-suggested-of-changes-to-balance-necromancer#latest
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So night blades are getting Major Prophecy / Savagery on cloak WITHOUT EVEN ASKING FOR IT and almost every necromancer is asking for this in their toolkit are still getting ignored. Great.
    Edited by techprince on July 26, 2023 10:33AM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if Necros had a good CC like that broken Archanist one that doesn't even let you break free
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So night blades are getting Major Prophecy / Savagery on cloak WITHOUT EVEN ASKING FOR IT and almost every necromancer is asking for this in their toolkit are still getting ignored. Great.

The RICH get RICHER!
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mechanically the necromancer would be tricky because so many necro skills are criminal acts. A player can choose not to use them in certain locations but I doubt a companion could do that reliably.

The whole class was already lore breaking. A spit in the face to the main story.
    It would be a stretch to somehow find a good necromancy companion story.
    It sounds like a joke.
    Edited by LittlePinkDot on July 30, 2023 1:13AM
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @LittlePinkDot there is absolutely nothing lore-breaking about necromancer being a playable class. Not a single thing.

Take some time to look up how necromancy works and you will see. If you are referring to the morality of it, there are indeed "good" and "evil" ways of doing it. Even so, TES games have always left the morality of your character up to you as the player.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    Mechanically the necromancer would be tricky because so many necro skills are criminal acts. A player can choose not to use them in certain locations but I doubt a companion could do that reliably.

who cares, you are playing a necromancer. Let me kill guards then
    I just want man flesh.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    The tethers suck hard and that's been generous. In pvp they are more of a liability because it alerts enemies to your direct position... Just follow the tether and target the necro

I'd like to see them turned into a ground AOE around the corpse that gives you the buff when standing in the AOE and hits all enemies not the one in a million who gets one tick when they cross through that measly line.

Make it leave a big phat AOE dot. Necro's dot passive bonus is completely wasted on Necros.

Make blastbones not require a target and make it leave an AOE on impact.

This could give the poor necros some damage stacking that at least fits with their class passives.

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tethers suck hard and that's been generous. In pvp they are more of a liability because it alerts enemies to your direct position... Just follow the tether and target the necro

I'd like to see them turned into a ground AOE around the corpse that gives you the buff when standing in the AOE and hits all enemies not the one in a million who gets one tick when they cross through that measly line.

Make it leave a big phat AOE dot. Necro's dot passive bonus is completely wasted on Necros.

This could give the poor necros some damage stacking that at least fits with their class passives.

I like that BB chases a target. The problem is that it doesn't chase the target!
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I detest blast bones. Why do I keep playing this class?
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should just change blastbones into a ground ability like blazing spear and graveyard, just have it put itself together and explode doing DoT damage.

I like that it runs after people and that’s good on paper but it just doesn’t work in some game modes especially Cyrodiil

I’m losing faith that this class will be fun and playable again though.
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭

I like that BB chases a target. The problem is that it doesn't chase the target!

Yeah the general idea of blastbones is great when it works
  • Malprave
    Malprave
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only play necro in pve and I enjoy that but I think trying to pvp with one would be rough. Too slow and clunky but in pve it has a certain rhythm and if you build right so you’re supplying your own corpses it works, unless you get another necro in the group using your corpses.

I did think as I went through all my characters to freshen their builds up that it seemed especially tough to get the damage out of the necro. I thought maybe having its own source of major berserk would help. A class execute would be nice.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I posted my ideas in this thread yet so I'm going to do it now. (Edited with updated ideas)
    I'm making an updated version of my Necro ideas thread from 2023 (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/633137/suggestions-for-necromancer-changes). One thing that ZOS has been doing lately is making skills require less micromanagement and loading them with multiple functions:
    Cephaliarch's Flail:
    Infuse your arm with abyssal magic to form tentacles that lash out at your foes dealing 1939 Physical Damage, healing yourself for 969, and generating Crux. Enemies are immobilized for 3 seconds and marked with Abyssal Ink for 20 seconds. Deals up to 100% more damage to enemies with less than 50% Health. You deal 5% increased damage to enemies drenched in Abyssal Ink.

Tome-Bearer's Inspiration:
    Etch a series of runes onto your weapon that pulse with power once every 5 seconds. Each pulse enhances your class abilities, and striking an enemy with one deals an additional 1161 Magic Damage and generates Crux if you have none. While slotted on either ability bar, gain Major Brutality and Major Sorcery, increasing your Weapon and Spell Damage by 20%.

The Necro needs this same treatment.

Blighted Blastbones: cost determined by the highest resource.
    (I have mourned the loss of Stalking Blastbones and I have accepted that fact that I'm just going to have to change my Necro)

Death Scythe:
    As I have seen suggested on the forums, both morphs of the Necro scythe should get execute scaling. I agree that this would be a great and very needed addition.
    - Hungry Scythe: should also apply life steal to all enemies hit.

Skeletal Arcanist/Archer: grants major sorcery/brutality when slotted on either bar. Increase the damage that their attacks do.

Shocking Siphon: while slotted on either bar grants major prophecy/savagery and increases damage done by 3%. The AOE remains on the ground even if the tether breaks early.
    - Mystic Siphon: the increased Health, Magicka, and Stamina Recovery persists even if the tether breaks early.
    - Detonating Syphon: the damage AOE now sticks to you.

Flame Skull:
    - Riccochet Skull/Venom Skull:
    applies burning/poisoned status effects. (Increase travel speed)

Spirit Mender: when active, applies minor cowardice to attackers.

Bone Totem: summons an effigy of bones up to 28 meters away. After 1 second, the totem begins fearing nearby enemies every 2 seconds, causing them to cower in place for 4 seconds. (Changed to allow both morphs to be targeted)
    - Warding Totem: (Formerly Remote Totem) grants minor protection when standing in the area of effect.
    - Agony Totem: afflicts enemies in the area of effect with minor vulnerability.

Restoring Tether: the effects persist on the player even if the tether breaks early.

Render Flesh:
    - Blood Sacrifice: consumes a corpse to grant you Major Courage for 10 seconds.

Expunge: reduces the cost of all your abilities by 3% while slotted on either bar.

Bitter Harvest: when slotted on either bar, reduces your damage taken by 3%.

ULTIMATES:
    Frozen Colossus: Unleash a decayed Flesh Colossus to pulverize enemies in the area. The Colossus smashes the ground three times over 3 seconds. Dealing damage applies Major Vulnerability to any enemy hit for 12 seconds.
    - Glacial Colossus: does frost damage and stuns enemies on the second hit instead of the third.
    - Pestilent Colossus: smashes the ground only once and does disease damage. Afflicts enemies with a pestilence that does damage over time.

Animate Blastbones: instead of resurrecting allies, this ultimate summons up to three blastbones to attack the nearest opponent. Summoned Blastbones are immune to being crowd controlled (other than by another ultimate). Reduce the cost of this ultimate to 200, down from 320, to make it more usable.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on March 13, 2024 6:18PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone else already mentioned I think the best thing they could do to Necro’s Scythe is turn it into a version of Arcanists Flail. Add bonus execute damage and maybe a snare.
  • arch1t3ct
    arch1t3ct
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah man, this class is being neglected for too long
  • SandandStars
    SandandStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blast Bones
    Cliff Racers
    Dark Deal

*Shrug*
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot damn, still relevant.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone else already mentioned I think the best thing they could do to Necro’s Scythe is turn it into a version of Arcanists Flail. Add bonus execute damage and maybe a snare.

Adding an execute scaling to the Necro scythe would be a fantastic idea. That's exactly why it's not going to happen.
  • CardinalJack
    CardinalJack
    ✭✭
    I find necromancer impossible to play due to its Blastbones and corpse management.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find necromancer impossible to play due to its Blastbones and corpse management.

It's challenging. Which is why the class needs buffs (and payoffs) for execution.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it seems the Blastbones changes are going through. RIP.
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The horrible state of necromancers.
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried the new one and it was absolutely awful!
    You have a delay on the buff, it doesn't show buff timer on action-bar you can't prebuff before engagement like other buffs.

I've got a strong muscle-memory that needs to be rewired to something I don't like.

I tried parsing with it and I puked...
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the almost one year this thread has been going, did anyone ever imagine that Necro could possibly get worse? Did anyone ever think we’d look back at these complaints and go, “boy, those were the good old days…”

I’m legitimately convinced that it’s time to just delete Necromancer from the game. Every change has made the class worse and worse, with this last one taking away the one semi-decent thing the class had going in terms of offense. It’s clear that ZoS has no idea what to do with the class whatsoever.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the almost one year this thread has been going, did anyone ever imagine that Necro could possibly get worse? Did anyone ever think we’d look back at these complaints and go, “boy, those were the good old days…”

xq1dy7l7ko5h.gif