The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Necromancer, a heavily neglected class

• AvidNecro
    AvidNecro
    ✭✭
    I am hoping to gain the reputation with keeping this class alive on Xbox NA, and will absolutely us this thread to promote myself and all my necro knowledge and glory, in hopes to gain more followers and other dedicated necros to keep this class going. Maybe ZOS will give me some attention someday. Would love to help the community and its favorite class the Necromancer.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-MCdWSaxKomnpcayGbCoqg
    Twitch: twitch.tv/avidnecro
    Necromancer Main
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I detest blast bones. Why do I keep playing this class?

I would like to have this comment stricken from the record. I was just frustrated. I didn't want Blastbones to go away. I just wanted it to be better. 😂😭
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    I detest blast bones. Why do I keep playing this class?

I would like to have this comment stricken from the record. I was just frustrated. I didn't want Blastbones to go away. I just wanted it to be better. 😂😭

Don't blame yourself: in order for you to be responsible for the nerf, the combat devs would have to have read your comment. And we know that listening to the players is usually the last thing they do! :p
  • Serpari
    Serpari
    ✭✭✭
    Mechanically the necromancer would be tricky because so many necro skills are criminal acts. A player can choose not to use them in certain locations but I doubt a companion could do that reliably.

The whole class was already lore breaking. A spit in the face to the main story.
    It would be a stretch to somehow find a good necromancy companion story.
    It sounds like a joke.

How is the class lore-breaking when we have an entire story with Vastarie and the Order of the Hidden Moon using necromancy in a way that's beneficial/doesn't involve thralldom? Purely from a mathematical standpoint, not every necromancer joined up with Mannimarco and his ilk. You can craft an incredibly compelling story from being a necromancer who was betrayed by the Order of the Worm, or never joined the Worms at all. Or a necromancer who doesn't even see themselves as a necromancer as the common parlance does, as necromancy is culture-dependent.

There's a lot of issues with necromancer—and none of them have to do with lore, but gameplay. "We should never get a necromancer companion because I don't like the lore," is silly. It isn't fair to the people who spent time, effort and possibly money too to level this class and have it continuously underperform and be, well, broken. Necromancer needs a rework, but not deletion. It's too late for that, and it'd cause a maelstrom of bad PR. Only way I could see that work is creating a class change token and give everyone with a necromancer a free class change, but the devs are on record stating there's no plans for a class change token, so.

tl;dr: It's not lore, it's gameplay. Necromancer needs a rework, stat.
    Edited by Serpari on March 15, 2024 7:19AM

The bird of Hermes is my name
    Eating my wings to make me tame