The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companion gear prices

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I think is worse... it isn't necessarily "supply and demand"... it's pure GREED. There are players who continuously check the prices on TTC and as soon as they see a cheap listing, they rush out to buy it, then re-sell it at much higher prices. I've been noticing this going on with companion items (especially the more popular traits) in the past week. I see a cheap listing, I rush out to buy it, and suddenly its gone, but I check back on TTC a short time later, and a new listing pops up that exorbitantly higher. When you look at the Master Merchant price and you see a previous sales amount of 500K and now they're selling for 9M... yeah, that's PURE greed and is disgusting IMO.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Gruumsh1
    Gruumsh1
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Gruumsh1 wrote: »
    Companion gear isn't worth the ridiculous prices people charge. Your guild banks often have piles of them but not in the weight/trait you want but in the end the measly stats they grant in comparison to each other is laughable for the cost. Your companion doesn't stay alive long enough for it to matter regardless of the gear you put on them. The colour choice people chase is more a player OCD/completionism thing.

Clearly you've never taken the time to actually invest into the companions, because if you had, you'd realize that everything you just said is completely wrong. The only people who have failures with companions are those who don't actually take the time to level them completely, assign the proper skills, and equip them with the correct gear for their assigned role.

So you're saying the "million+ gold" price tag for all purple gear (over blue gear) for the "+3.6%" or a "few hundred armour" stat increase across all 12 pieces is worth every penny? I wasn't really discussing how good they can be, just mainly how ridiculous the prices are for the tiny stat bump they get from all the over-priced gear.
    Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Gruumsh, Miiighty Gruumsh!
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companion gear isn't worth the ridiculous prices people charge. Your guild banks often have piles of them but not in the weight/trait you want but in the end the measly stats they grant in comparison to each other is laughable for the cost. Your companion doesn't stay alive long enough for it to matter regardless of the gear you put on them. The colour choice people chase is more a player OCD/completionism thing.

Clearly you've never taken the time to actually invest into the companions, because if you had, you'd realize that everything you just said is completely wrong. The only people who have failures with companions are those who don't actually take the time to level them completely, assign the proper skills, and equip them with the correct gear for their assigned role.

So you're saying the "million+ gold" price tag for all purple gear (over blue gear) for the "+3.6%" or a "few hundred armour" stat increase across all 12 pieces is worth every penny? I wasn't really discussing how good they can be, just mainly how ridiculous the prices are for the tiny stat bump they get from all the over-priced gear.

Where and on what system are you playing ?

And as general question for all following this thread:
    Is there a big difference in prices for purple between for example PC-NA and PC-EU ?
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People gear up companions strangely.

I basically hoard all my drops unless a current companion needs it.
    Then when the new companions hit I have a full wardrobe for them.
    I go on to sell off anything unused, while the prices are still high.

After, I slowly start building up a gear selection again from scratch.

(Oh, and old purple gear that is bound is always saved. Just in case…)
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean if people are willing to buy purple well-traited companion gear for ridiculous prices (I don't think it's worth it at all)... that's what I'm going to sell mine for. IMO, one can't just call the sellers greedy and leave it at that... it takes two. People are willing to pay crazy prices. If they weren't, the prices would drop.

Part of the issue too is people not planning ahead, and then all wanting gear for their companions at the exact same time when the new chapter drops. The last time we got new companions, the demand and prices dropped quite substantially after the initial surge. One might just as easily suggest that the problem is that the buyers are impatient... as that the sellers are greedy.

They're pretty rare drops, so I'm either going to get my money's worth or keep them to throw on my own companions.

On the rarity issue.. perhaps it's worth discussing whether ZoS should look at providing a more guaranteed way to get companion gear. Like allowing crafting of companion gear to some extent... or providing it as a guaranteed quest or event reward (we did get gold companion rings as an event reward last year, for example). I don't really have a strong opinion on it, but this would be a way of bringing the prices down and giving more players the opportunity to build the companions of their dreams.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on June 2, 2023 4:30PM
  • Dysturbed
    Dysturbed
    ✭✭✭
    good info thanks
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of increasing the drop rate, ZOS should implement the ability for us to UPGRADE Companion gear. This way we could buy green or blue gear and upgrade them ourselves without having to rely on greedy (yes greedy) players who swoop in to grab cheap items and then resell them at exorbitant prices just to keep prices up.

Sure, not planning in advance, but also the fact that many of us tested recently on PTS and see a benefit (albeit slight) to running Purple gear.

Impatient? That too. Because it would be nice to have the gear BEFORE we get our companions, instead of having to wait weeks or months for prices to return to a more reasonable place.

I wouldn't be so bitter if it wasn't so many of the SAME people selling these items... so you know they are doing exactly as I said. Sitting at their computer refreshing TTC- probably several windows open- and as soon as they see a cheap item placed, they jump back to the game and scoop it up. It leaves those of us who just want to play the game and have fun a bit bitter over it. It also wouldn't be bad if they were doing this because, they needed gold for something, but I have no doubt most of them are just doing so because they care more about having millions in their bank versus actually playing the game. I know in other games players were like that, all about having tons of money in the bank, selling... selling... selling... yet doing nothing with the money they made. Sure, they CAN play that way, but it just sucks for everyone else who just want these items to further enhance the enjoyment of the game.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need legendary drops. We've been purple for a while.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »
    We need legendary drops. We've been purple for a while.

Those are being used for limited time specialty items. We got the Ascendant Ring 3% Quickened vs the epic 2.6%.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of increasing the drop rate, ZOS should implement the ability for us to UPGRADE Companion gear. This way we could buy green or blue gear and upgrade them ourselves without having to rely on greedy (yes greedy) players who swoop in to grab cheap items and then resell them at exorbitant prices just to keep prices up.

Sure, not planning in advance, but also the fact that many of us tested recently on PTS and see a benefit (albeit slight) to running Purple gear.

Impatient? That too. Because it would be nice to have the gear BEFORE we get our companions, instead of having to wait weeks or months for prices to return to a more reasonable place.

I wouldn't be so bitter if it wasn't so many of the SAME people selling these items... so you know they are doing exactly as I said. Sitting at their computer refreshing TTC- probably several windows open- and as soon as they see a cheap item placed, they jump back to the game and scoop it up. It leaves those of us who just want to play the game and have fun a bit bitter over it. It also wouldn't be bad if they were doing this because, they needed gold for something, but I have no doubt most of them are just doing so because they care more about having millions in their bank versus actually playing the game. I know in other games players were like that, all about having tons of money in the bank, selling... selling... selling... yet doing nothing with the money they made. Sure, they CAN play that way, but it just sucks for everyone else who just want these items to further enhance the enjoyment of the game.

Astonishing the ancestral moths didn't smother you the very moment you heretically named the "flippers" by their real name :smiley:
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have one character whose job it is to collect all of my companion gear. My other toons put all blue/purple items they pick up into the bank, getting rid of greens, and he pulls them out and holds them.

He's got about 160 or so companion items, mostly blue and above. I have him summon all companions every now and then to see if he has better gear than what they are wearing and swap them out. I'm sure I'll have more than enough gear to kit out the new companions.

I'll now repeat what I've been saying for years: Everything for sale in guild stores is obtainable through playing, if you're too busy or lazy to farm them, be prepared to pay.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • SkaiFaith
    SkaiFaith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    Is there a big difference in prices for purple between for example PC-NA and PC-EU ?

@hrothbern It's crazy to hear "Millions" to a console player: I recently found Purple Light Soothing Robe for 10.000; Purple Light Quickened for 100.000 and Purple Medium Aggressive Jack for 100.000.

If I have to expose myself - there are people hoarding Companion Gear and selling it at high prices. I just try to grab all the cheap ones that I can before them and place at around half the price, so that we split the earnings :) in the end I save them the time of going through all the traders by themselves...
    Making millions this way, even if slowly.
    Edited by SkaiFaith on June 4, 2023 11:48AM
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    phaneub17_ESO, can you post full build for Ember (and maybe other companions) please? items-traits-skills-tips

It's going to change next week. Telvanni Efficiency is going to open a wider array of builds. Ember may not be king anymore, Isobel or Azandar may take that spot and can do it with 3 abilities only because they won't ever reach 4 and 5 with the maximum cooldown reduction, it actually gives them room for survival abilities rather than straight damage.

If you want to stick with Ember, the absolute best setup after Necrom: You Telvanni Efficiency. Two-handed, dual-wield, or Ice Staff. 2 Medium, 5 Light, 7 Shattering, 5 Aggressive. Starfall, Crystal Blast, Sniping Silver, Haste, Second Wind. The timing will be shortened 9-hit strikes in 6 seconds repeats every 9 seconds (7 times per minute). This brings her total to 88,965 damage to Overland, Delve, and Public Dungeon mobs. 72,774 damage to Group Dungeon, Trial, and Arena mobs without Major Breach and Minor Breach applied.

Alternatively, you can get Ember's opening salvo into 12-hit strikes, this wasn't possible before because of Sniping Silver cooldown was still at 8 seconds with 31% quickened and Ascendant Ring, it would constantly clip. Telvanni Efficiency alone brings Sniping Silver down to 6 seconds, Starfall and Crystal Blast cast times together makes 1.2 seconds which goes perfect with Second Wind before Haste in this setup. In this case she would do a total of 118,620 damage over 8 seconds in her opening attack; however, the repeat cast Haste won't be as consistent so don't expect it to continue that way. The other way above is more predictable, but if you want higher upfront damage at the start of combat this will do more.

This is super interesting, thanks for sharing.

Personally all of my characters are typically tuned for group PVE play (healers/DPS/tanks for dungeons and trials). I use the companions when I am playing solo (a tank getting endeavors, gathering skyshards, whatever) or duo-ing with a friend (two of us and two companions see what we can handle in DLC dungeons, for example). I don't really theorycraft, so I'm curious if you think Telvanni Efficiency is going to be worth carrying around five additional pieces in my inventory for when I use companions. A good use case for me would be, I'd bring my Oakensorc with Ember, and my friend might bring a NB hybrid healer/DPS with Bastian as a tank, both characters in golded out meta gear. I'm also often running around with my own hybrid templar healer, and can solo most world bosses in that setup, so I want to squeeze out as much DPS as possible from my companions just to make things go faster. Is the tradeoff from the meta gear going to be worth it? I was pretty sure it wouldn't, so I dismissed the Telvanni Efficiency set entirely and still see a strong need to know how to maximize companion DPS without it.

As far as the main topic of this thread, I haven't even LOOKED at companion gear prices since it was announced there would be Necrom companions, but even before that I thought the prices for "the best" gear were ridiculous. I truly wish we could deconstruct, re-trait, and/or upgrade the gear so that the drops we get ourselves are more useful. Mostly I get drops that are only worth vendoring. It's super annoying. It also amazes me anyone bothers to list green or blue gear (although I'm glad they do) because I sure don't have space in my inventory to hang onto all of that as I figure out what build I want. And, since I do a lot of content where companions aren't allowed (PvP, dungeons, trials) I find it tough to earn my own gear. I don't have a bunch of extra playtime each week just to do other content so I can get gear for my companions for the not-so-frequent solo play sessions. I understand I'm probably not the primary target audience but for me the RNG with companion gear (especially considering they have to be out to get drops) is just the worst system ever.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    I don't really theorycraft, so I'm curious if you think Telvanni Efficiency is going to be worth carrying around five additional pieces in my inventory for when I use companions.

Without companions around or they're dead on the ground its the same as the Seducer set, but universal as the cost reduction applies to everything rather than just magicka. Telvanni Efficiency makes it more lenient to have mix-matched traits for beginners and advanced alike, all other traits become better with the only exception is Augmented; that trait will be obsolete. Quickened no longer becomes the required go to for everything, but doesn't make it less desirable either.
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really theorycraft, so I'm curious if you think Telvanni Efficiency is going to be worth carrying around five additional pieces in my inventory for when I use companions.

Without companions around or they're dead on the ground its the same as the Seducer set, but universal as the cost reduction applies to everything rather than just magicka. Telvanni Efficiency makes it more lenient to have mix-matched traits for beginners and advanced alike, all other traits become better with the only exception is Augmented; that trait will be obsolete. Quickened no longer becomes the required go to for everything, but doesn't make it less desirable either.

yes
    all very much true

And as minor comments:
    Augmented needed already imo a review and now all the more

"I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »

@hrothbern It's crazy to hear "Millions" to a console player: I recently found Purple Light Soothing Robe for 10.000; Purple Light Quickened for 100.000 and Purple Medium Aggressive Jack for 100.000.

If I have to expose myself - there are people hoarding Companion Gear and selling it at high prices. I just try to grab all the cheap ones that I can before them and place at around half the price, so that we split the earnings :) in the end I save them the time of going through all the traders by themselves...

Thanks
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    easy solution you and a friend do the non dlc pledges on vet with compnions, lots of fun plenty of companion items and no queue times
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recently sold a purple soothing hat at 1.5M at PCEU and it was likely someone bought it to sell for hefty profit. (I did mention listing it on my trade guild chat because it was at low end and it sold pretty quick. )
    Edit: Looks like the price range for that item on TTC is 1.8-4M at time I'm writing this.
    Edited by rpa on June 5, 2023 1:08PM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With Telvanni Efficiency, 10x blue bolstered + purple S&B (costing not that much), and the right companion choice, would you be able to tank dragons ?

You lose only 3% damage mitigation and 700 Armor Resistance between 10x purple or 10x blue.
    Perhaps even green bolstered would work.
  • Haenk
    Haenk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I too think the prices are a bit crazy.
    My solution: Just move the best items to my current companion. There is no point in upgrading all companions, as I likely never use them again after maxing them.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With Telvanni Efficiency, 10x blue bolstered + purple S&B (costing not that much), and the right companion choice, would you be able to tank dragons ?

You lose only 3% damage mitigation and 700 Armor Resistance between 10x purple or 10x blue.
    Perhaps even green bolstered would work.

There is no simple answer to "can my companion tank dragons?" because there's so many variables and mechanics built into those things and they change depending on which dragon you're fighting. For example their Dragon Bite isn't a heavy attack so companions aren't going to pull up to block it, but it can hit upwards of 36,000 damage; all out quickened or bolstered tank will die in one hit whereas a vigorous tank will survive and if using Bastian or Sharp-as-Night can heal quite a bit back. Same goes for the overhead breath if caught by it, a vigorous tank will survive, quickened and bolstered will die.

When dragons pull out that area wave that pulses constant cold, fire, or shock damage per tick will melt a vigorous tank like butter, whereas a bolstered tank will survive, a quickened tank will outheal it no problem. Quickened tanks will do better against gathering the add spawns and keep attention, bolstered can survive the mobs, vigorous will get beat on and you have to heal them through it or they're getting bludgeoned to death.

So to answer your question... pick your poison.
  • Dark_Wizard
    Dark_Wizard
    ✭✭
    phaneub17_ESO, please any advice, which companion/build now does max dps?
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the words "Telvanni Efficiency" quoted in this thread.

Can somebody explain, in simple layman's terms, what this jargon MEANS?

And without using other jargon to define it, because using jargon to define jargon gets horribly recursive?
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭

jle30303 wrote: »

And without using other jargon to define it, because using jargon to define jargon gets horribly recursive?

It's an armor set released with the latest chapter that causes your companion's cooldowns to be reduced by 50% as it's 5pc
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For one, you could have just copied and pasted Telvanni Efficiency into Google and it would tell you exactly what it is. Second, given that you have six stars on the forums, you should already know that the forums are a place full of jargon, and that sometimes you have to do a bit of research to know what people are talking about. There are many times I've had to do a Google search by typing "ESO ..." and whatever jargon I wanted to know- it's pretty efficient at providing immediate information. Just an FYI. :)
  • Dack_Janiels
    Dack_Janiels
    ✭✭✭

ppxy1z77pkgc.png
    PC-NA, yeah the prices are insane.
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For one, you could have just copied and pasted Telvanni Efficiency into Google and it would tell you exactly what it is. Second, given that you have six stars on the forums, you should already know that the forums are a place full of jargon, and that sometimes you have to do a bit of research to know what people are talking about. There are many times I've had to do a Google search by typing "ESO ..." and whatever jargon I wanted to know- it's pretty efficient at providing immediate information. Just an FYI. :)

It would have taken less time and effort to simply answer the question.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ppxy1z77pkgc.png
    PC-NA, yeah the prices are insane.

That’s crazy. I genuinely had no idea there’s a market for companion gear. I’ve been vendor trashing every purple piece I don’t have an immediate use for.
    Edited by Reverb on June 14, 2023 5:38PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »

It would have taken less time and effort to simply answer the question.

And what about next time, and the time after, and the time after that? Perhaps I thought it would a great idea to educate someone so that they can get an immediate answer and save adding more lines to a thread post.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is companion gear gold tier?

Or just purple?