Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Can we please get a Auction House?

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CrazyKitty wrote: »
    An auction house would destroy the economy. It would make it far worse than it already is, and would be redesigning a core part of the game design.

They can't fix the stuck in combat bug, so there's no way they could make such a drastic change the guild trader system without redesigning from the ground up.

• Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    TTC needs to be INSIDE eso and i would be happy.
    also with right click port to vendor area.
  • Trejgon
    Trejgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to throw in my 2c:
    I can respect ZOS wanting to have guilds to be enablers of big scale trading.
    I can respect ZOS wanting to facilitate guild traders to give meaning to different areas that would be otherwise deserted after the newness factor moves on.
    It is totally fine to be trying to build off economy based on goods being cheaper when sold by guilds that have their traders in herder to reach areas.

But all of that come with limitations that obscure trading activities, and in particular one way that theyt could alleviate that issue, would be to give us an API, that would provide all the information that sites like TTC need to function, without need for some background app, and awkward conversation between addon and said app.

If such API exposing trader data to public existed, all of those third party sites could have up to date full information they could provide to users, and have it for all platforms, so that nobody is left out.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trejgon wrote: »
    I am going to throw in my 2c:
    I can respect ZOS wanting to have guilds to be enablers of big scale trading.
    I can respect ZOS wanting to facilitate guild traders to give meaning to different areas that would be otherwise deserted after the newness factor moves on.
    It is totally fine to be trying to build off economy based on goods being cheaper when sold by guilds that have their traders in herder to reach areas.

But all of that come with limitations that obscure trading activities, and in particular one way that theyt could alleviate that issue, would be to give us an API, that would provide all the information that sites like TTC need to function, without need for some background app, and awkward conversation between addon and said app.

If such API exposing trader data to public existed, all of those third party sites could have up to date full information they could provide to users, and have it for all platforms, so that nobody is left out.

There should have been a central ah system from jump. This game has been so flawed to the point I made billions of dollars going around buying items people had no clue of what their value was and flip them for 20-100x what I bought them for. Legit one time I bought a PCP item perfect trait for 1k and the item was worth over 100k........ People are worried about ah lowering the price of an item but right now current system players are blind and they get screwed as the seller because none are listed in the area they got a trader. That's okay for me to do to them (and if not me someone else would have) but having 1 central database to tell them hey look the item you have is worth 100k maybe they put it up for 90k just to move it fast rather than sell it for 1k. It shouldn't come down to add-ons being the defining feature for a game console players don't have that (and please PC players don't come back with should be playing on PC lol the game is on both and should work equally for both)
  • JavaRen
    JavaRen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swapping guild traders for an auction house, the math:

Number of players that will quit playing or stop buying crowns if this change is not made = X
    Number of players that will quit playing or stop buying crowns if it is made = Y

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an auction house isn't the best option, but it would nice for there to be something between selling Ancestral Reach motifs into oblivion for 13 gold, and making a whole job out of selling your surplus by joining a guild with a minimum weekly sales targets.

It could be different from how trade has been managed for the last 10 years, but sometimes we do get a quality of life update that makes something radically more accessible. I never played trials until the Group Finder was introduced.
  • ShadowPaladin
    ShadowPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Three things...
    1. The last post in this thread was May 2023, before someone started it up again a week ago. Therefore this is - lets say - a *semi* necro :o !
    2. The whole topic has been discussed countless times over and over and over ... - an endless amount of *and over* later - ... and over again, so that all pros and cons have been stated. In addition (as ADarklore already wrote) it was mentioned by ZOS that this will never ever happen. That means its a waste of time to keep this whole matter alive. All should understand, its finished, settled, beat, at its end, done!!!!! NO AUCTION HOUSE WILL COME!!!!! All who won't and can not accept that and are not able to live without it should change to a game with an auction house, like SWToR, Star Trek Online, WOW, AION or what ever out there is..!
    3. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin Could someone from ZOS please close this thread with this tiresome theme and if possible shutdown same or similar threads when popping up?

P.s.:

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin

I would recommend to creat a list of **frequently created threads** which have been created over and over and ... and over again. Discussed to death. And so on. Give answers and or information to the thread themes, which more or less makes ANY further discussions pointless and then clearly state to everyone that creating new threads with themes mentioned in that list will be shutdown immediately! A good example for this can be found at the Star Trek Online forum (HERE).

• Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JavaRen wrote: »

Number of players that will quit playing or stop buying crowns if this change is not made = X
    Number of players that will quit playing or stop buying crowns if it is made = Y

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.

Number of new players who will be more likely to stick around rather than ditch the game after three days....? This is what sometimes worries me about ESO and, especially, this forum. It seems overly preoccupied with people who have been playing for donkeys' years and are extremely attached to the status quo. Meanwhile, all sorts of things that are fairly unattractive for bringing in *new blood* are ignored.
    Edited by Northwold on January 9, 2024 11:10PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Use TTC website.

It is unfortunate that this is a requirement, though. ZOS tried to do something different, only to end up requiring the aid of third-party tools in order to make their system work better. Which I guess is no surprise, it's an Elder Scrolls game after all.

It doesn't work better though. Yeah, it's harder to find certain rarer items on console. But, at the same, console prices are much, much better.
  • sshogrin
    sshogrin
    ✭✭
    I don't think an open Auction House would be good for the game, or Guilds.
    I do think that having a Guild Trader Listing Board would be a good thing for the game.
    Guild Traders are insanely expensive now, with the number of Guilds that want a Guild Trader, and "low" number of Guild Traders in game, it's driven up the weekly cost of a Guild Trader, which in turn has driven up the prices of most items. I've played ESO since Beta, and have seen prices skyrocket.
    I think that having a Guild fee to be on the Trader board would satisfy a lot of people/guilds. It would cause some price competition across the guilds, lowering some of the prices of things, and would allow people to stop spending a bunch of time going from zone to zone to find something they're looking for after searching on TTC.
    The Guild Trader Listing Board could be put in all zones for people to search. You'd still have the listing fee, Guild taxes, and Guild requirements for being on the listing board, which would keep the desire to join a guild. There are a lot of guilds that are just social guilds mainly because people don't want to spend the time to come up with the fees to obtain a Guild Trader. You have to sell an a lot of things, bringing in the taxes for a guild, to win a bid on a guild trader. When traders cost millions of gold a week, it's very difficult to sustain a trader without it being a full time job...this is a game, it should be fun and relaxing, not feel like a job.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inflation would go off the charts with a central auction house, and every trade guild would instantly become obsolete. The way it is now people have a chance to find the items they need in most cases, even if it is tedious and time consuming. So while the system now is clunky, it way better than a central auction house.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played other games with a central auction house.
    It makes it easy for players to "corner the market"

I like the guild traders and having to travel to buy stuff. It's part of the immersiveness of the game.
  • ceruulean
    ceruulean
    ✭✭✭
    Could the devs introduce a middle ground? For example, a rumor system where you ask a <merchant> to help you find an item, type in the name, and get a list of matching items listed within the zone. You'd still have to walk to the store.
    Edited by ceruulean on January 10, 2024 5:23PM
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »

I like the guild traders and having to travel to buy stuff. It's part of the immersiveness of the game.

Addons for ESO do exactly that on PC.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, actually, they don't.

The key difference is both scope and the freshness of information.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.

Number of new players who will be more likely to stick around rather than ditch the game after three days....? This is what sometimes worries me about ESO and, especially, this forum. It seems overly preoccupied with people who have been playing for donkeys' years and are extremely attached to the status quo. Meanwhile, all sorts of things that are fairly unattractive for bringing in *new blood* are ignored.

This is akin to saying new players will leave because their level 15 character can't join vet trials. Everything a new player needs is readily available to that player. Gold is very easy to come by in game even for new players. Trading much like running trials has tiers. Players that dedicate massive amounts of time to trading get the most from trading. The players in a hurry to reach the end and want all the cool things now might become frustrated with how long it takes but that is on them. If they instead just enjoy the game they will find as they level they can get everything they need and a good amount of what they want.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, all sorts of things that are fairly unattractive for bringing in *new blood* are ignored.

And yet, a lot of what has been added in the last few years *is* focused on newer or more casual players or making the game less grindy in various ways. Not necessarily all implemented well, but that's a different issue.

- Accountwide Achievements
    - Rework of public dungeon fragment drops
    - Companion System
    - Heavy Attack Builds and Oakensoul
    - New Tutorial
    - CP rework to rein in vertical progression, and the related substantial increase in the speed of leveling to cp 160
    - Stickerbook and curated drops
    - Jewelry Crafting rework
    - Crafted sets like Order's Wrath that provide good stats with a very low trait requirement
    - Ring of the Pale Order
    - Free gold upgrade mats added to login rewards
    - Easy overland difficulty retained in new DLC
    - Rework of prologue quests and similar to prevent quest-overload for new players
    - u35 (yes there was DEFINITELY an implementation problem here, but the stated goals were to raise the floor and lower the ceiling, and simplify rotation management).

I mean I could go on with this, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But how far should they go? If the game is basically over in a few weeks and there's nothing longer-term to work toward, people aren't going to stay. Bringing in new players is important, as is keeping them long enough to become old players. I would bet, though this is only my opinion (but zos has data) that players who join guilds have higher levels of engagement and retention.

And though the forum certainly skews more toward the longer term players who tend to like some or many aspects of the game as they are, there is nothing inherently "bad" about them and their opinions are actually just as valid as those who want to see radical change.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on January 10, 2024 6:52PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Inflation would go off the charts with a central auction house, and every trade guild would instantly become obsolete. The way it is now people have a chance to find the items they need in most cases, even if it is tedious and time consuming. So while the system now is clunky, it way better than a central auction house.

This is the reason nothing will change significantly. Too much is built on the gold sink that the current system is. That is the fatal flaw and keeps us using something that may have seemed great 10 years ago but that fails so many today.

That was not true when I played WoW. I could actually find what I want and know a good price to sell things for. Wasting hours heading around to find things from different guild traders (even with TTC, impossible on console) is not immersive anymore than removing mounts would make the game more immersive.

Which ones? They definitely aren't on console, but even using TTC is far from perfect. I have spent hours using the TTC website only to travel places and find the item I was looking for is no longer there.
    kargen27 wrote: »

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.

This is akin to saying new players will leave because their level 15 character can't join vet trials. Everything a new player needs is readily available to that player. Gold is very easy to come by in game even for new players. Trading much like running trials has tiers. Players that dedicate massive amounts of time to trading get the most from trading. The players in a hurry to reach the end and want all the cool things now might become frustrated with how long it takes but that is on them. If they instead just enjoy the game they will find as they level they can get everything they need and a good amount of what they want.

So we need to keep broken things just as they are? Remember the advance that multi-crafting made? That "worked" prior to that and you could make money in spite of it not being there, but even the console experience is much better with it than the way it was.

Having TTC functionality built into the game, possibly making the "go fetch that item for me" be an extra gold sink as well, would make things much more enjoyable.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, all sorts of things that are fairly unattractive for bringing in *new blood* are ignored.

And yet, a lot of what has been added in the last few years *is* focused on newer or more casual players or making the game less grindy in various ways. Not necessarily all implemented well, but that's a different issue.

- Accountwide Achievements
    - Rework of public dungeon fragment drops
    - Companion System
    - Heavy Attack Builds and Oakensoul
    - New Tutorial
    - CP rework to rein in vertical progression, and the related substantial increase in the speed of leveling to cp 160
    - Stickerbook and curated drops
    - Jewelry Crafting rework
    - Crafted sets like Order's Wrath that provide good stats with a very low trait requirement
    - Ring of the Pale Order
    - Free gold upgrade mats added to login rewards
    - Easy overland difficulty retained in new DLC
    - Rework of prologue quests and similar to prevent quest-overload for new players
    - u35 (yes there was DEFINITELY an implementation problem here, but the stated goals were to raise the floor and lower the ceiling, and simplify rotation management).

I mean I could go on with this, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But how far should they go? If the game is basically over in a few weeks and there's nothing longer-term to work toward, people aren't going to stay. Bringing in new players is important, as is keeping them long enough to become old players. I would bet, though this is only my opinion (but zos has data) that players who join guilds have higher levels of engagement and retention.

And though the forum certainly skews more toward the longer term players who tend to like some or many aspects of the game as they are, there is nothing inherently "bad" about them and their opinions are actually just as valid as those who want to see radical change.

Too many here will say almost any feature is "just great now" (minus perhaps the exceptions you note) and fail to realize that quality of life (some don't really understand that term) features are liked by many people.

Perhaps we will never get full consensus on the value or drawback of a central auction house, but having some way to get systemwide information in game would help most players and be a net plus, even if it still had the "travel around" part.

The only "solution" that would annoy me would be making it a Crown store cost as they did with skyshards.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a bin where we can leave items for any player to pick up? At least someone would gain from that.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaushad wrote: »
    How about a bin where we can leave items for any player to pick up? At least someone would gain from that.

Kind of like those "free book" places in some areas.

Some would get filled with junk so would need an auto-purge function as well.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭

Kind of like those "free book" places in some areas.

Some would get filled with junk so would need an auto-purge function as well.

Perhaps an expiry time and the existing search functions.
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    i gave an answer that closes the discussion.
    ttc functionality built into the game , still keep the sellers as they are but stops forcing you to spend time going around to each to look if you do not have access to ttc.
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quethrosar wrote: »
    ttc functionality built into the game , still keep the sellers as they are but stops forcing you to spend time going around to each to look if you do not have access to ttc.

That doesn't close it because we'd still have to jump hoops to sell. I don't really care that I don't know where things are on sale. I'll look around the alliance capitals when I'm there and back when there were free trading guilds, which certainly didn't sell in those cities, I could sell. But they always lost their post in the end and then I'd look for another guild set to fail.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this appears to be a favourite example that comes up in EVERY discussion of trading in ESO, can I just point that, no, buying / selling is *nothing like trials*.

Trials are a group activity that take you through a specific location fighting monsters.

Strip out the guild stuff for a second on buying and selling. Why do people buy and sell in an MMO?

- to buy/sell gear to use in other gameplay activities
    -to buy/sell crafting materials etc to make stuff to use in other gameplay activities
    - to buy/sell furnishings to use in other gameplay activities
    - to buy/sell potions, food and the like to use in other gameplay activities
    - to make money to be able to do all those things and to use that money, also, in other gameplay activities.

There is always going to be disagreement on trading in ESO. It's a controversial topic. But could we please avoid really bizarre false analogies as if they're somehow convincing arguments one way or another. It just gets silly.

Trading is an underlying system in MMOs that facilitates other gameplay activities in the game. Trials, dungeons, tales of tribute, Cyrodiil, whatever you like aren't. They are the other gameplay activities.

The whole reason trading comes up time and again is because of this. People have a problem with the way an extremely important facilitating system has been set up in this game, for various reasons depending on the person and, indeed, the platform. If people have a problem with trials, Tales of Tribute, whatever, they just don't play them. But trading serves a completely different and all-affecting function.
    Edited by Northwold on January 10, 2024 11:10PM
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we went to a AH I would want it to be like BDO, where there is a range for the price of items and it is not set by the player themselves, but rather the economy. Just my 2c
    PvP needs more love.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the reason nothing will change significantly. Too much is built on the gold sink that the current system is. That is the fatal flaw and keeps us using something that may have seemed great 10 years ago but that fails so many today.

That was not true when I played WoW. I could actually find what I want and know a good price to sell things for. Wasting hours heading around to find things from different guild traders (even with TTC, impossible on console) is not immersive anymore than removing mounts would make the game more immersive.

Which ones? They definitely aren't on console, but even using TTC is far from perfect. I have spent hours using the TTC website only to travel places and find the item I was looking for is no longer there.

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.

So we need to keep broken things just as they are? Remember the advance that multi-crafting made? That "worked" prior to that and you could make money in spite of it not being there, but even the console experience is much better with it than the way it was.

Having TTC functionality built into the game, possibly making the "go fetch that item for me" be an extra gold sink as well, would make things much more enjoyable.

you are claiming something is broken when in fact it works quite well. Sure there could be a few tweaks but the system isn't broken. For how much people talk about TTC it really isn't all that is being made of it. If you count on TTC to find bargains you missed the bargain most the time. It isn't an up to date nor complete data base. It is good for finding rare items when you don't much care cost and don't want to spend a lot of time looking. Other than that you are better off without.

I would like to see a bulletin board in the main city of each zone that lists what every trader in that zone has available. There would be no prices listed and you would have to visit the trader to purchase the item. This would allow people who just want an item quick with no concern for price to go to most convenient location. It would also allow for bargain hunters to continue going from trader to trader searching for a good price.
    As I've said many times this system is multi-tiered and players at any level can participate in trading. Those that treat trading like end game are rewarded. They should be. A central location takes their game away from them. It isn't their fault some choose not to participate in this one aspect of the game.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like one too, I even suggested in the past putting it in Fargrave bazaar and making Fargrave a zone free for all players.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    I'd like one too, I even suggested in the past putting it in Fargrave bazaar and making Fargrave a zone free for all players.

Be careful what you ask for. If you think inflation and prices are bad now, it would be 10x worse with a central auction house. A central auction house is a horrible idea. The only way it would work, as another poster pointed out, is if ZOS set the sale prices of items and the players had no way to game the system.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Having access to TTC doesn't always help as well, since it doesn't show what is really in stock NOW.

This would be far better for all platforms.

That doesn't close it because we'd still have to jump hoops to sell. I don't really care that I don't know where things are on sale. I'll look around the alliance capitals when I'm there and back when there were free trading guilds, which certainly didn't sell in those cities, I could sell. But they always lost their post in the end and then I'd look for another guild set to fail.

It would solve most of the pain points. Removing the need for a trading guild is never going to happen, especially because of its gold sink aspect. This would at least make things findable.
    Casul wrote: »
    If we went to a AH I would want it to be like BDO, where there is a range for the price of items and it is not set by the player themselves, but rather the economy. Just my 2c

How does the player differ from the economy?

X <<<<< Y

ZOS ain't that stupid.

you are claiming something is broken when in fact it works quite well. Sure there could be a few tweaks but the system isn't broken. For how much people talk about TTC it really isn't all that is being made of it. If you count on TTC to find bargains you missed the bargain most the time. It isn't an up to date nor complete data base. It is good for finding rare items when you don't much care cost and don't want to spend a lot of time looking. Other than that you are better off without.

I would like to see a bulletin board in the main city of each zone that lists what every trader in that zone has available. There would be no prices listed and you would have to visit the trader to purchase the item. This would allow people who just want an item quick with no concern for price to go to most convenient location. It would also allow for bargain hunters to continue going from trader to trader searching for a good price.
    As I've said many times this system is multi-tiered and players at any level can participate in trading. Those that treat trading like end game are rewarded. They should be. A central location takes their game away from them. It isn't their fault some choose not to participate in this one aspect of the game.

The current system is very broken if it is "working as intended". I don't use TTC for the best "bargains" I use it to help find (on the PC) things I am looking for, such as a motif I need for a Master Crafting Writ. The current system is a huge failure for that, though TTC will at least tell me a reasonable price (only on the PC).

The current system means most don't bother with much trading, especially on consoles, even if they are in a trading guild, as I am. (Dipping my toe back into both console and PC now.)

Why would allowing knowing the going price and locations for items break the game, except for those who focus mostly on flipping poor pricing decisions by others?

I also notice you ignored my comment about having a gold sink "helper" to task with getting an item for you.

FelisCatus wrote: »

Be careful what you ask for. If you think inflation and prices are bad now, it would be 10x worse with a central auction house. A central auction house is a horrible idea. The only way it would work, as another poster pointed out, is if ZOS set the sale prices of items and the players had no way to game the system.

Have you ever played a game with a central AH? Your claims simply are not true in those games. Why would they be true in ESO? A central trader will not happen, but not because of this reason but because of the gold sink aspect the current system provides. Making TTC functionality in the game and open to all would fix much of the problem right away. Flippers might get hurt some, but even then I suspect people will poorly price things as I have seen in other games, keeping flippers busy if not focused differently.

========

Overall, this is at least as serious of a concern as the difficulty of open world content (which has its own thread) since it has posters on both sides anytime the issue comes up.

I personally bet those who say "the perfect system is just fine" either benefit greatly from it or would say that about any other quality of life change, such as crafting prior to multi-crafting. (Or the fileting that is now added to the provisioning locations.)

Yeah, the game worked prior to those improvements, but it was not as good.
    PC
    PS4/PS5