Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Can we please get a Auction House?

• Lags
    Lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always believed that they should just have an auction house. Either that, or they should ban addons like tamriel trade center. To be clear i like the traders the way they are now, and wish they would keep it this way and remove these addons. I may be in the minority but, what is the point? These addons make it like an auction house anyway. Id perfer things like they were on console, where the market felt more natural, and knowledge went a long way. On here its 90% of people just post for what an addon tells them.
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    Game has been out for nearly 10 years now and the reality of it is this. Trading guilds and just people in general who are filled with people who are use TCC day in and day out. They have so much gold it's not even funny I'm talking 500m -1b and up. They just hoard gold and keep making more and others sale it for irl money. This is a job for some people and my only problem is the game is old with not enough gold sinks or things in general for people to spend gold on.

New players, casual players and just people in general who don't really get that invested in the mini game of trading miss out on every somewhat descent deal. So they end up not even being able to afford anything and have to spend an un godly amount of time farming for the items. It's capitalism in video games and the saying the rich get richer while the poor get poorer rings true just as true in eso and every mmo as it does in the real world.

It only gets worse as time goes on. What makes this 10x worse is when the playerbase shrinks the inflated prices will never go down and how you get somewhat rare and honestly just items in general that aren't even that hard to obtain go from being like 50k at the start of the game to them being 10m. Even if the item isn't worth it. We've seen this happen time and time again ever mmo that has ever existed.

1 central trading hub wouldn't fix the market it would really just make it even easier and faster for rich people to stand at the trader for hours at a time every day buying every single item that goes up on the listing to buy it just to resell and keep the price where it's at. The only real solution would be for an mmo to make every item in the game be sold from vendors which wont happen and I'm not saying they should do that.

You must be doing something right though the loudest people in this forum saying no are the ones who would be affected the most. Either way this is just something that happens with old mmos and the main issue is there not being enough gold sinks because with trading the gold is never gone it just changes hands. This is the sole reason why and how inflation gets this bad in mmos they have nothing to spend their gold on. They have to have gold sinks to remove gold from the game and the weekend vendors are not enough.

Edited by TheMessengerOfDeath on January 7, 2024 6:11AM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just came from a Cooperharley video on Youtube covering this forum thread. If ESO introduced a central auction house, this an idea for how it could be done..

There are a lot of ways it could be done. However, it will not happen with the current leadership as they are the ones who chose this design with a purpose in mind. It is their baby.
    Edited by Amottica on January 7, 2024 4:46PM
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »
    It's so time consuming to have to run to each and every zone checking every trader for a specific piece of gear when we could have a auction house in a major zone where multiple guilds can list items. You could even make 3-5 Auction Houses spread across Tamriel to hold multiple guilds as to not bog down one single zone. Just something that would make shopping/selling a lot easier in my opinion

No thank you. I like running to Traders in Zones. Its the most engaging an Auction House in an MMO has ever been. ESO has the most incentives to visit old zones of any mmo out there.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has already said they will not create an auction house because, 1) trade guilds are important to the game and keep players engaged, 2) because they don't want cities to become obsolete. Imagine if there was a single 'trade city', all of the other current main trade hubs would be EMPTY and not feel 'alive'. I much prefer it the way it is. Besides, there's a sort of Auction House accessible online, which is what I use when I want to track down a specific item.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    An auction house is the only thing that would keep me in the game. In 10 years my few experiences with people in trade guilds has made me vow never to even try another.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An auction house is the only thing that would keep me in the game. In 10 years my few experiences with people in trade guilds has made me vow never to even try another.

I got hate-whispered in Cyrodiil once... we should probably eliminate that too right? Dungeons and trials too.

Anyway, I think after 10 years the ship has kinda sailed on this.

I personally enjoy the trading system and think it's part of what makes ESO unique... my own experience was that I once thought the trading system was terrible because it forces you to be in a guild... and was at a point where I was losing interest in ESO until I gave in and tried joining a trading guild that ended up being full of wonderful friendly people who play all aspects of the game and helped me move from questing and normal dungeons to harder content while doubling the size of my friends list.

But sure, the system is not perfect and could use some QoL updates, and perhaps some changes to provide an option for people who aren't interested in engaging with trading guilds.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any evidence of this behaviour specific to trade guilds in general?
  • JavaRen
    JavaRen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer to hear that, the stellar and inclusive attitude of my first trade guild's GM, and the community and support I have had from that guild and it's successors is what has kept me in ESO for almost 9 years.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Meh I could care less now..I refuse to use Guild Traders, so I trade with friends' and folks I know in game

Which is a ridiculous number of people lately we all hang on a Discord (One of the channel's is In-Character which can be a hoot) and I can usually find whatever I need in less time than it takes to trave to a Guild Trader, if you do it that way buying can be downright affordable in ESO.

Ya know, you and the friends you know can form a guild. Then you all can post things to sell to your friends at reasonable prices, even if you are offline…

No we refuse to participate out of principle...trust me we're good...
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe this resurrected thread is still allowed to continue....

I don't like (and don't participate in) the guild trader thing. I'm a serious minority. But it's an "over and done' thing at this point.,

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh I could care less now..I refuse to use Guild Traders, so I trade with friends' and folks I know in game

Which is a ridiculous number of people lately we all hang on a Discord (One of the channel's is In-Character which can be a hoot) and I can usually find whatever I need in less time than it takes to trave to a Guild Trader, if you do it that way buying can be downright affordable in ESO.

Ya know, you and the friends you know can form a guild. Then you all can post things to sell to your friends at reasonable prices, even if you are offline…

You do realize you have basically formed a guild, if you want to call it one or not. You are just doing exactly the same thing, just in a harder way.

You don’t actually need to hire a trader, if all you are interested in is selling to each other.
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    An auction house would be fantastic for whales. I can have addons ping for any item even slightly underpriced, buy them and resell for much higher. We'd have an inflation bonanza! This is too much work with the existing guild trader system. Say goodbye to ever buying reasonably priced dreugh wax again B)
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Use TTC website.

Useless on console.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    If ZOS moved to a centralized AH from the current guild trader setup, the exodus of guilds would probably be likened to a tsunami....

I doubt that. Nobody plays MMOs to rack up billions of in game gold that's worthless outside of the game.

That is very incorrect. A lot of people play MMORPGs for the purpose of collecting gold. It may be worthless outside of the game, but that pretty much applies to everything in the game. Even Achievements are worthless once you get away from the server that stores them.

I am a strong proponent of guild based local commerce. I see no need for Amazon in the game, and I agree with Varanis in that I don't think the ESO server could handle such a thing.

Yes, some play to amass gold, but is that really good for the game as a whole?

Needing to have TTC on the PC (and nothing similar on consoler) shows that the need is there and having it in game would be much better.

The current system works like a huge gold sink, so it will not go away, but it really sucks when you are trying to sell or find something specific that is not common, especially on the console.

At least having an in-game way to use TTC features would help. That would keep the gold sink but still help finding things and finding the going cost for things.

Note that many made quite a bit of gold on WoW action houses even with them being centralized, so making gold is not prohibited with that.

Though I do not expect that, but still want a centralized in game ability to find something when I want it. Charge me gold overhead for such searches (a reasonable level) and perhaps a "Door Dash" fee to nab it when an item is at a guild vendor I am not near.

Make it an ESO+ service if you want to add more drive to that.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a big no thank you to an auction house from me.

• barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    the system we have is a mini game in and of itself, changing to an auctionhouse system would cause a lot of players to quit.

I'll wait for them to post their stories.

Oh Baloney

People are Not qoing to quit when they change a system or mechanic. The Trader system is Not any sort of mini-game. Its a royal pain, which is only alleviated if you use PC and the TTC addon. All Half the Players want to do is Sell their stuff, all the Other half want to do is Buy the stuff.
    So instead of making something simple we have this nonsense - 1) You Are Not Allowed To Sell your Items across zones unless you find a Guild with a trader. 2) without a PC and the TTC, you have No idea which Trader has the item you are looking for... and if you find the item you have no idea if you are getting the best price.
    The only thing an AH would do to change any of this, is to make the game smoother and more enjoyable, since everyone could simply use the AH to take care of the Minor Aspect of the game called selling/buying items.
    I play a number of different games that all have AHs, and NONE have the 'manipulation' horrors people here claim.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »
    If ZOS moved to a centralized AH from the current guild trader setup, the exodus of guilds would probably be likened to a tsunami....

I doubt that. Nobody plays MMOs to rack up billions of in game gold that's worthless outside of the game.

That is very incorrect. A lot of people play MMORPGs for the purpose of collecting gold. It may be worthless outside of the game, but that pretty much applies to everything in the game. Even Achievements are worthless once you get away from the server that stores them.

I am a strong proponent of guild based local commerce. I see no need for Amazon in the game, and I agree with Varanis in that I don't think the ESO server could handle such a thing.

IMHO

If one participates in a game... solely to gather currency through buying/selling

They are Not playing the game.

:#
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Use TTC website.

It is unfortunate that this is a requirement, though. ZOS tried to do something different, only to end up requiring the aid of third-party tools in order to make their system work better. Which I guess is no surprise, it's an Elder Scrolls game after all.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do realize you have basically formed a guild, if you want to call it one or not. You are just doing exactly the same thing, just in a harder way.

You don’t actually need to hire a trader, if all you are interested in is selling to each other.

:|
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Mansquito
    Mansquito
    ✭✭✭
    I actually love the idea of an auction house but think there would have to be a few tweaks;

#) Move it around different zones on a weekly basis, so that it can almost be an event and incentive to go to a particular zone.

#) Have a limit on items you can list in that particular week (maybe a max of 10 per player), with perhaps a 24 hour timer for each item?

#) Have the choice of implementing reserves for each item, but if so there is a higher listing fee.

#) Limit the amount of one particular item to say, 10. So if you wanted to sell say, a Rallying Cry Ice staff but there was already 10 listed, you couldn't. You don't want to oversaturate it.

#) Introduce a mechanism whereby you can watch a particular item or particular type of item, and get mail updates when something changes.

Probably some others but there are some things off the top of my head that I feel would make it better.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The current guild trader system only favors a few rich guilds and puts a lot of stress on the rest to try and come up with the ever increasing weekly cost of a trader in spots worth having a trader. There's also a lot of price fixing that takes place on PC when you have addons that show you prices of items across the traders.

Doing away with the need to bid on and buy a trader every week would greatly benefit the masses and only hurt the few large guilds at the top that corner the market.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing away with the need to bid on and buy a trader every week would greatly benefit the masses and only hurt the few large guilds at the top that corner the market.

I suspect that doing away with the only significant gold sink in the game would NOT benefit the masses.

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mansquito wrote: »
    I actually love the idea of an auction house but think there would have to be a few tweaks;

#) Move it around different zones on a weekly basis, so that it can almost be an event and incentive to go to a particular zone.

#) Have a limit on items you can list in that particular week (maybe a max of 10 per player), with perhaps a 24 hour timer for each item?

#) Have the choice of implementing reserves for each item, but if so there is a higher listing fee.

#) Limit the amount of one particular item to say, 10. So if you wanted to sell say, a Rallying Cry Ice staff but there was already 10 listed, you couldn't. You don't want to oversaturate it.

#) Introduce a mechanism whereby you can watch a particular item or particular type of item, and get mail updates when something changes.

Probably some others but there are some things off the top of my head that I feel would make it better.

Examine auction houses in other games, including WoW. It works fine without those limits.

I suspect that doing away with the only significant gold sink in the game would NOT benefit the masses.

I would question how much most would be harmed, except for likely price escalation. It is an expected gold sink, and thus is not likely to go away.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What to do about gold sinks is an interesting question (I've usually suggested deliberately handicapped game-controlled traders for people who don't want to join guilds, rather than an auction house, for that reason -- guild traders remain a thing and so the gold sinks persist -- and because many people like the character of having lots of different traders; though there remains the issue of how anyone on console is ever supposed to find anything).

IF an auction house were ever to happen (and it seems very unlikely), there are other ways to implement gold sinks. For example, ready made guildhalls in game which offer unique gameplay features that guilds have to bid for. But it would take A LOT of work on the part of ZOS to create these in the numbers required to make them worthwhile.

It could revolutionise guild gameplay, though.
    Edited by Northwold on January 9, 2024 11:27AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logistically, an “auction” house can’t happen Let’s just break this down.

A) First let’s get the terminology straight, what are people asking for? They want what the guild vendors are doing without the guild. Except, the guild vendors are NOT auction houses, they are just straight forward vendors. Nothing is up for auction. (This will be important later. )
    So what some players are actually asking for is a sort of Universal Vendor.

B ) History. The guild vendors were not implemented at the start of the game in the way they are now. Originally, the only to sell to players outside of your guild, was to take over a keep in cyrodiil.
    When they implemented the vendors that are dotting the map, they did it for many reasons. One was it felt like a very RP implementation. Two, it made all map areas important, as the different vendors kept players moving throughout the world. And a third was it was a great gold sink.

C) Plain and simple logistics. (The heart of the matter and the thing that the players asking for a change hate to hear.)
    Guild traders right now are limited on the amount of items they can sell. Guild members can sell 30 items (maximum) and guilds are limited to 500 players (I believe, I am away from home for a few weeks). That is 30x500=15,000 items max. There are over 200 guild vendors in the game as well I believe.
    Go to a busy vendor and do a search, that “lag” in finding your item? That lag is there at only 15,000 items. Now times that by 200, and then let the server have to withstand all the players posting and buying things at the same time. While you are still searching.
    That ore you were looking at? Gone before you can buy it. Search the server again (while hundreds of others are doing it as well). That new ore listing you were looking at? Gone again before you can hit purchase. Well search again…
    The servers will catch on fire in a day.

•••

I keep saying this, there are tons of guilds with vendors out there whose only requirement is that you be an active member. That’s it. No need to interact. No need to participate in anything. No dues.

Join one of those.

There is no need to change anything, because the change is not logistically possible.
    Edited by BlueRaven on January 9, 2024 12:18PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tradewind wrote: »
    What's your purpose in making guild stores for guild members only? Why not make them for everyone? – sliyerking

Dev/Zenimax reply:
    "Our goal is to make the economy more player-based, but not to have a system that allows you to find anything at any time because there are so many players involved on a megaserver. With extremely large communities, low-percentage drops can become highly available in auction houses. It ends up harming the “gear chase” portion of the game."

My question is: Then why can players use websites like TTC? Zenimax doesn't want to add certain QoL in the game, yet they provide the tools for others to create them.

If an auction house can "end up harming the gear chase portion of the game," doesn't TTC do the same? Moreover, since TTC earns real-life money through advertising on the page, isn't it more detrimental than an in-game auction house?

Allowing websites like TTC to share the price of items seems okay, but allowing them to share the location?! Why? If ZeniMax says this would "end up harming the gear chase portion of the game"?

I am having difficulty understanding the multitude of answers\actions provided by Zenimax regarding various topics, as they do not seem to make any sense.

I think the "gear chase" argument may have been part of the original reasoning, but there seems to have been a shift toward reducing the agony of "gear chase." I'm not saying the original argument is no longer valid, but perhaps it's no longer as much of a concern as it was back in early 2014?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    An auction house would destroy the economy. It would make it far worse than it already is, and would be redesigning a core part of the game design.