The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hardware Refresh Work Update – March 31, 2023

• Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »
    The lag is unfortunately back, and old exploits are being used to increase lag again, any news on this?

Doubt it. The lag very quickly returned to Cyro NA after the refresh. Hardware can only do so much..at the end of the day they need to optimize or refactor code.
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Server issues have returned for the pvp server on PCNA.

Pop was cut in half when the new server were installed, what's the excuse now?

I would expect a company owned by Microsoft to have better access to high quality servers and engineers that run them. That is unless the delay was digging the "new" servers out a landfill.
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭

I would expect a company owned by Microsoft to have better access to high quality servers and engineers that run them. That is unless the delay was digging the "new" servers out a landfill.

Well fortunately, Kyle, the hardware refresh isn't the end of the fixes for performance. The server rewrite begins with the Necrom chapter.

@DirtyDeeds765
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well fortunately, Kyle, the hardware refresh isn't the end of the fixes for performance. The server rewrite begins with the Necrom chapter.

@DirtyDeeds765

I wish ZOS would verifiera that, so far not a word, so I must assume it’s delayed.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    LarsS wrote: »

@DirtyDeeds765

I wish ZOS would verifiera that, so far not a word, so I must assume it’s delayed.

If we haven't heard anything to the contrary, we should assume it's still coming. Not vice versa.

@DirtyDeeds765
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DirtyDeeds765

If we haven't heard anything to the contrary, we should assume it's still coming. Not vice versa.

DirtyDeeds765

When it comes to schedules for backend work, I am not sure I completely agree. That stuff seems to slide around more than a skeever on ice. :smile: Still, as this is server side, it does not have to be part of PTS at the onset. Or, given recent Lobby issues, maybe it already is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is from the studio directors letter in Dec. 2022.

"Our multi-threading work continues, as we announced a month or so back. Just to remind everyone, this is the initiative that will result in better overall server performance. As we already announced, we will be phasing these changes in over the course of 2023, starting with the Chapter in Q2. We’ll keep everyone updated in patch notes going forward."

link https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/63363

There is nothing in the PTS patch notes about the multi-thread code, thus it's by their own words delayed.
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    The latest update brought a large increase in system temps. We've gone from 72 to about 94. During the same period, PvP performance has degraded (more errors including a very stubborn "stuck in combat bug"). PCNA
    Edited by StihlReign on May 1, 2023 11:54PM
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is from the studio directors letter in Dec. 2022.

"Our multi-threading work continues, as we announced a month or so back. Just to remind everyone, this is the initiative that will result in better overall server performance. As we already announced, we will be phasing these changes in over the course of 2023, starting with the Chapter in Q2. We’ll keep everyone updated in patch notes going forward."

link https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/63363

There is nothing in the PTS patch notes about the multi-thread code, thus it's by their own words delayed.

Is this a correct assumption to make @ZOS_Kevin, @ZOS_MattFiror, @ZOS_GinaBruno? We haven't received any updates on the multi-threading in any patch notes, so the first phase of the multi-threading work is not going be implemented with Necrom?

@DirtyDeeds765
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin The Bethesda Support says on Twitter, the new Servers for Xbox NA are up now, is this right? Why we don’t get any Information here?
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaavaa wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin The Bethesda Support says on Twitter, the new Servers for Xbox NA are up now, is this right? Why we don’t get any Information here?

Thought the same thing. Would expect zos to be celebrating it since its been a big deal for such a long time, but theres nothing from zos at all?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »

Thought the same thing. Would expect zos to be celebrating it since its been a big deal for such a long time, but theres nothing from zos at all?

Seems to me that no one from ZOS or Bethesda ever said that the maintenance today was going to be the hardware update.
    Edited by Elsonso on May 3, 2023 1:58AM
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    gronoxvx wrote: »

Seems to me that no one from ZOS or Bethesda ever said that the maintenance today was going to be the hardware update.

I'd post the truth, but like I said in another thread it's probably to see if there's a placebo effect, or simply to not get everyone's hopes up. Also pretty sure they said that xbox would likely not see much difference because they are the lowest population.
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    lskjfh0bkj8j.jpeg
    This is what Bethesda says. Idk
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lskjfh0bkj8j.jpeg
    This is what Bethesda says. Idk

Cool. Now I find myself wondering whether ZOS knows this happened. :smile: ( <-- a lame attempt at humor... yes, I know they know it happened. :neutral: )
    Edited by Elsonso on May 3, 2023 9:34PM
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, they're doing such a great job with that improved communication they promised!

Really looking forward to the first part of this code rewrite being released in Q2 as promised.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • GreatGildersleeve
    GreatGildersleeve
    ✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    Man, they're doing such a great job with that improved communication they promised!

Really looking forward to the first part of this code rewrite being released in Q2 as promised.

Q2… 2023? 2024?

• goboltz
    goboltz
    ✭✭✭
    So since the XB NA Servers got done this week & the Mayhem is announced as May 11th, Can we guess or get Confirmation that the PS NA Servers will get done Monday/Tuesday may 8/9 coming up ?! Since all should be done BEFORE the pvp event !
    [PS5] [NA] [EP] - "Cheese for Everyone" !
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    goboltz wrote: »
    So since the XB NA Servers got done this week & the Mayhem is announced as May 11th, Can we guess or get Confirmation that the PS NA Servers will get done Monday/Tuesday may 8/9 coming up ?! Since all should be done BEFORE the pvp event !

I will bet a cheese wheel that the next server hardware upgrade comes after Mayhem. :smile:
  • HushAzrael
    HushAzrael
    ✭✭✭
    Any ETA on PSNA server upgrades??
  • Steel_Heart777
    Steel_Heart777
    ✭✭✭
    Also looking for any update on PS NA server upgrade.
    • PS5 NA - EP Since Launch
    • CP 2400+
    • 2nd Ever EP Grand Overlord PS4 NA - Spartan Ze - Stamblade AR50
    • PactBerserkr - Stamden AR50
    • Lord Bigdaddysmash - Stamcro AR50
  • Goodman777
    Goodman777
    Soul Shriven
    I don't know about you, but there are lags in battle, often skills are not activated during active pvp.
    can anyone say whether there will be improvements in this direction, or with lags and we will give up forever?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goodman777 wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but there are lags in battle, often skills are not activated during active pvp.
    can anyone say whether there will be improvements in this direction, or with lags and we will give up forever?

The server replacement is not intended to improve performance but to forestall end of life issues with the old hardware. On PC-NA we did see some improvement initially in PvP, but ever since the replacement things have been slowly degrading. Three weeks ago on a Tuesday afternoon one keep fight was so bad it took 6-7 presses to fire a skill and the entire game was a slideshow for my whole group. It was worse than I’ve seen it in years. It does vary week to week, though. Some weeks are better than others.

They’ve said that the performance improvements are meant to come with the code rework they are doing. They promised details on that as part of the Q2 PTS patch notes, but so far we haven’t seen any further information.
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was assuming they'd make some type of update here after the PS EU and xbox NA updates. I don't think I've seen an actual official update on forums yet that these even happened. Are we just not making any updates anymore?
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC/NA/GH was bad yesterday (May 7). There was a long 3-way battle for Castle Faregyl that lasted over an hour, and from what I saw in zone chat a lot of people were experiencing delays of up to 5 seconds for skills to fire (if they ever fired at all), repair kits to work, or to mount. I was seeing these delays even on the other side of the map from the actual battle.

I'm a pretty optimistic person in general and I've been willing to be patient and give ZOS the benefit of the doubt, but I'm starting to wonder if I need to take a break from the game during MYM to avoid too much frustration.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

DirtyDeeds765

DirtyDeeds765

When it comes to schedules for backend work, I am not sure I completely agree. That stuff seems to slide around more than a skeever on ice. :smile: Still, as this is server side, it does not have to be part of PTS at the onset. Or, given recent Lobby issues, maybe it already is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The server-side code is the core of the game. This is the foundation and where the game actually plays out. This is where it is determined if we damaged or healed something.

Why would we not want to test significant changes to the game's core?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

DirtyDeeds765

DirtyDeeds765

The server-side code is the core of the game. This is the foundation and where the game actually plays out. This is where it is determined if we damaged or healed something.

It isn't up to us, though. They have dropped things outside of normal PTS schedules. For backend things, they can do it at any time, since users don't have to install anything.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We would love to thoroughly test the changes, hence the continual asking on where the progress is, what will actually be covered by these changes, and when might they be on the pts etc for us to do so.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

DirtyDeeds765

DirtyDeeds765

It isn't up to us, though. They have dropped things outside of normal PTS schedules. For backend things, they can do it at any time, since users don't have to install anything.

I did not say it was up to us if we were to test any of this.

I expect Zenimax has discussed this at great length and nothing we say in these forums will make a difference as we do not see the full picture. I am saying that as someone who has led the building of plans for testing new systems and software updates for systems that are much more important and impactful than ESO. Though the load aspect of an ESO server will be much more challenging to test than what I have worked with and it will require a true load as software for testing such a load is not accurate.