The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This is good and all but uh, where are the cloaks/capes?

Papasears1982
Papasears1982
✭✭
IMO I would rather have guild cloaks/capes than tabards or hell why not both. Make it happen =)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No capes, please.
    PCNA
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game doesn't have clothing physics or else the engine would melt. At best you'd have a cape that is glued to your character skeleton.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Papasears1982
    Papasears1982
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    The game doesn't have clothing physics or else the engine would melt. At best you'd have a cape that is glued to your character skeleton.

get what your saying im not looking for Nvidia hairworks type cloak. just something simple
  • Papasears1982
    Papasears1982
    ✭✭
    No capes, please.

or at least a Motiv for it
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A motif is just a style, not the actual piece of gear.
    PCNA
  • Papasears1982
    Papasears1982
    ✭✭
    A motif is just a style, not the actual piece of gear.

yea im cool with that, doesnt need to be another piece of gear just a add to whatever u got on or however they would do it
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would require a slot, like the slot for a tabard. But cloaks would clip through everything like weapons and mounts etc..
    PCNA
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A non-physical cape would be fine, something that would appear after some moments of inactivity. Could do fun stuff with it too, like having wings made of smoke instead of a cloak altogether, or some sort of aura around the player.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would require a slot, like the slot for a tabard. But cloaks would clip through everything like weapons and mounts etc..

This. Unless they can make it move perfectly it will just be an eyesore.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at any character with even semi-long hair and you can see why capes are a bad idea.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They had capes in Alpha/Beta. There is a reason they dropped them before going live.
    Just search Capes /Cloaks here on forums for years worth responses about this.
    The bottom line is take a look at the Bretons Hero costume to see why "No Capes / Cloaks".
    They don't work with this engines physics.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guild tabard already have simple velvet animation. Just enlarge it to shoulders and thats it.

Though i can't imagine how to render all weapons and shield on the back. This can be done by disabling rendering of weapons at all... Or you need way more powerful engine, as already mentioned.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    A non-physical cape would be fine, something that would appear after some moments of inactivity. Could do fun stuff with it too, like having wings made of smoke instead of a cloak altogether, or some sort of aura around the player.

I want wings so bad
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelanora wrote: »
    Dr_Con wrote: »

I want wings so bad

Same here. I also want wings.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    oh god ESO is going to turn into Runescape 3
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭
    Big NO from me. I hate cloaks & capes with a passion you wouldn't believe
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory Edna gif

edna-is-da-best.gif
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they can animate tails to sway I'm sure they could figure out animation for cape clothing too :)
    Edited by Bat on February 23, 2023 1:14PM
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They had capes in Alpha/Beta. There is a reason they dropped them before going live.
    Just search Capes /Cloaks here on forums for years worth responses about this.
    The bottom line is take a look at the Bretons Hero costume to see why "No Capes / Cloaks".
    They don't work with this engines physics.

this should be pinned/made a banner at the top of the forums. might reduce the monthly 'capes' threads.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have said they wouldn't work very well with the game's physics engine. Look at how skirts, robes and the Breton Hero Armour works - they all stick to your character and warp slightly as they're running rather than moving like loose cloth. If they added a cape it's likely it would be stuck to your back and move very oddly, or not at all. More like 1/2 a tabard than a cape.

Incidentally it's not just this game, apparently cloth physics is difficult to get right in a lot of modern games, especially attaching loose cloth to moving characters without causing performance issues. I remember reading an article that when the Batman Arkham games were being developed (where they couldn't avoid having a cape) one person spent 2 years on nothing but getting the physics and animations right, and part of the reason they used it for so many gameplay things was to justify that effort.

Having said that GW2 had the same problem and they sort-of worked it out a while ago and now have some capes. The physics is a bit janky - they often do clip through other things you're wearing, or through the character entirely and there's usually a noticeable gap between the character's shoulders and the cape. Also being GW2 a lot of them are heavily stylised or not made of cloth, they're shiny plastic strips or lava or smoke or whatever. But people who kept on asking for capes seem happy with them, so I suppose they're good enough.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they add cloaks then they also need to add a huge world boss with a special cloak grab attack where they grab your cloak and swat you around like Hulk on Loki.
    uq0amx0u19lc.gif
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on February 23, 2023 2:39PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMO I would rather have guild cloaks/capes than tabards or hell why not both. Make it happen =)

Yes, yes, EVERYONE wants all the clipping issues that capes and cloaks would bring. They would work great with staves, bows/quivers, two handers, and shields. There couldn't possibly be any problems with pauldrons, tassets or faulds, and I'm sure it would never interfere with sheathed swords or sheathed dual weapons. All the hair styles and hats and masks and headpieces would work perfectly as well. .... Yes, that was totally, completely sarcasm.

No capes/cloaks please.
    Edited by JKorr on February 23, 2023 2:57PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like more cloak type motifs like mercenary, where it looks like you’re wearing a long coat or cloak but open in the front unlike a robe.

I don’t think capes, much less wings, fit in ESO at all and the floaty capes in GW2 look pretty silly to me, even with that games more whimsical aesthetic.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

get what your saying im not looking for Nvidia hairworks type cloak. just something simple

You don't get what they are saying. Go look at the Breton hero armor and that is the best a cape / cloak can look in this engine.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are nearly a decade into the game. If capes were something that was in any way a reasonable option we would have them.

Don't forget, in the span of only a few decades we taught rocks to think and render light patterns through crystals that went from pong to fast blue hedgehogs, to simulated worlds and stories.

Somethings work easier than others, some things aren't worth the effort, and some are ambitious miracles that are held together by bubblegum and shoestrings. Lets take the W's we got.

Maybe we will get there one day, but not as a feature for a MMO that already has pushed the limit of performance in many respects
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are the reasons I've heard over the years from the community for not having them, but each have pretty simple counters:

1) Cape physics would put too much strain on the engine—it's impossible in ESO.
    Then don't implement cape physics, give them pre-defined animations a-la World of Warcraft, Runescape, etc. (loincloth pieces in armour already do this).

2) Capes without proper physics would look like cardboard, so better to have no capes at all.
    Not necessarily. Again, loincloth pieces already do this on armours in-game, and they don't look jarringly out of place. In fact, even our player characters use pre-defined animations for different motions, yet I don't see people complaining about how cardboard we look. Well-made animations would nullify this problem.

3) "No capes!" Edna meme.
    I don't care about your meme.

On the other hand, these are some more serious arguments I've just come up with off the top of my head (but they also all have counters):

1) Game balance. Adding a new gear slot means retroactively developing a cloak piece for every set in the game, which is A LOT. More worryingly for game balance: whereas now you have 12 gear slots to while balancing monster sets, dungeon/trial sets, and mythic items, you will now have 13 gear slots. This will change everything about how gear balance will work, and will likely require re-turning of *everything* in-game.
    Or... just have it be cosmetic like a tabard. Why not? A tabard is probably more cloth than a cloak would be, so why would a cloak NEED to be considered a "gear slot" and a tabard not.

2) Continuity. Since Morrowind TES games haven't had cloaks, so adding them to ESO would be a break with what makes ESO special: it's connection to TES. We can't go around changing anything willy nilly otherwise it ceases to be a TES game and becomes something else.
    A cloak would hardly break the fabric of the TES universe. In fact, Harkon in TES5 already has a short cape on his outfit, it's just not a piece of equipment per se. It's kind of silly to imagine that people in this universe wouldn't wear cloaks, especially in colder climates like Skyrim. They're not gonna break established lore, and it's not so much of a continuity change to make a difference.
    Edited by Anumaril on February 23, 2023 4:47PM
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game barely runs as it is..

I recently put *simple* clothing physics onto capes in Skyrim via modding and even that was taxing, in ESO it would be an absolute Ohio simulation.

(and for those who say you want a physics absent cape like above) Please view the Breton Hero costume, and its attached cape which already exists in game, and tell me you really want more of that.

...maybe they should just give us more of that so we don't have to see more of these cape threads.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on February 23, 2023 5:31PM
    love is love
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game barely runs as it is..

I recently put *simple* clothing physics onto capes in Skyrim via modding and even that was taxing, in ESO it would be an absolute Ohio simulation.

(and for those who say you want a physics absent cape like above) Please view the Breton Hero costume, and its attached cape which already exists in game, and tell me you really want more of that.

...maybe they should just give us more of that so we don't have to see more of these cape threads.

Then we would see "hide capes" threads. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Obligatory Edna gif

edna-is-da-best.gif
    Cloaks would force an rebuild on weapons and shields on the back work, also on how bulkier armor or costumes with backpacks works, this is with cloth physic as it can not do miracles as in the parts below is clipping.
    I say I prefer shields you can grab rater than hover 10 cm from my hand.
    Yes you get capes but also the enjoyment of seeing you character stuffing an staff or two handed axe up their ass, more gross than fishing in Sims 3 on an nude character but here it would simply clip the cape and into hammer space.
    Still an infinite better idea than nerfing gold weapons as it would make tempers cheaper because?

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are sitting over there with the Templar Group Utility, Stamplar Buffs, Necro Fixes and PvP balance