The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

nerf siege

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    monty-python-holy-grail.gif
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    monty-python-holy-grail.gif

"Now go away, or I shall teabag you a second time!"
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    buff siege. and make ballistas and catapults mobile.

New Mount called Siege O'Matic

It comes equipped with all your sieging needs. When near a door it acts a battering ram. Player is able to swap between any type of ballista of their choosing and catapult of their choosing before entering Cyrodiil.

In addition, player cannot be dismount when using this mount. Mount comes equipped with siege shield and best of all player gets all defensive buff when on the mount.

Crown cost of mount 50K. Just because its an all in one mount.

Smurf killer 9000
    Mobile 2 person mountable cannonball that rapidly shoots coldfire oils like a minigun... Invented by dwemer because of <shtty lore explanation> . Also it comes with camo installing which prevents enemy seeing the red circle indication!
  • Heals_With_Orbs
    Heals_With_Orbs
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite see the issue here.

If someone fires a trebuchet at you outside a keep etc, or on bridge, you roll dodge out of the way. Sometimes it becomes too much and you just have to back off completely, but a lot of the time its more an exercise in mobility and awareness.

What I think could be improved is the visibility of siege equipment damage on the ground

You get these little red rings that you can barely see, and sometimes you get killed and hear an explosion with no other warnings. When someone drops boiling oil on the floor, I'd expect there to be some animation or visible patch on the ground. You get coloured areas for enemy attacks which you can adjust in the settings, There doesn't seem to be anything for siege attacks.

I fully expect siege to clobber you more than a swipe from someones sword, and zappy spells etc.

What will hurt you more? someone hitting you with a club? or a huge boulder landing on your head?

There's a reason why boiling oil was used in castles centuries ago :)

You know what I think is the real problem? its players who can stand in a huge barrage of siege attacks from a dozen players, such as these troll tanks and ball groups and they just stand there reading a magazine.

That to me is complete nonsense and proof of how ridiculous it can be. In fact its sometimes the other way around, your skills get more results than the siege equipment
    Edited by Heals_With_Orbs on August 31, 2023 2:47PM
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it annoying that siege damage is STILL unblockable, since they changed/broke something.

I don't know that ZoS has ever even acknowledged this. I mean, they don't play the game, much less PVP, so I guess they probably don't know.
  • Blackrim
    Blackrim
    ✭✭
    nuttytom wrote: »
    Siege has been a staple of Cyrodiil combat since it was first introduced. Recent trends however have driven this game mechanic from one used for sieging keeps and shooting enemy siege to simply being used as a way to bypass the core purpose of Cyrodiil and to an extent the core combat of this game.

Having read the recently published core combat mechanics it has left some to wonder how does firing a 12,000 DPS, unblockable, undodgeable weapon at a player fit into all of this? The reality is, it doesn't. Siege fights still happen as they should but these weapons are now being deployed more aggressively on the fly to siege down individual players. There simply is no counter to this regardless of skill level and this is being utilized not just by casuals but also higher skilled players.

People are seeing the simple fact more and more of why bother to fight when you can use a weapon that has 5x even upwards 10x the damage of any damage a build is able to output. Simply add this to a more tanky player who perhaps uses sets with Elf bane or vicious death (Yes these work with siege despite players on the forum trying to say otherwise) and you have an out of control problem that with each day is becoming increasingly worse.

If PvP within Cyrodiil is to survive, could developers clarify perhaps the core values of Cyrodiil? Are we too assume this siege is to be used in place of skills? People will leap to the defense of siege claiming they use it to kill "tanky" players but this isn't just being used on such players anymore. This is now a norm for all players to use on anyone at any given opportunity. Anyone who has been to Cyrodiil will have seen this. In a way it is even being used to bypass any form of more “traditional” (open field/On the ground fights) PvP.

Should Cyrodiil continue down this trend into a "siege wars" where PvP (The reason for Cyrodiil) will take a backseat in terms of skills and fighting players on the field or should there be an adresse of the fact that siege unfortunately is reaching an out of control level.

Please nerf siege only two factions use it in Greyhost
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackrim wrote: »
    nuttytom wrote: »
    Siege has been a staple of Cyrodiil combat since it was first introduced. Recent trends however have driven this game mechanic from one used for sieging keeps and shooting enemy siege to simply being used as a way to bypass the core purpose of Cyrodiil and to an extent the core combat of this game.

Having read the recently published core combat mechanics it has left some to wonder how does firing a 12,000 DPS, unblockable, undodgeable weapon at a player fit into all of this? The reality is, it doesn't. Siege fights still happen as they should but these weapons are now being deployed more aggressively on the fly to siege down individual players. There simply is no counter to this regardless of skill level and this is being utilized not just by casuals but also higher skilled players.

People are seeing the simple fact more and more of why bother to fight when you can use a weapon that has 5x even upwards 10x the damage of any damage a build is able to output. Simply add this to a more tanky player who perhaps uses sets with Elf bane or vicious death (Yes these work with siege despite players on the forum trying to say otherwise) and you have an out of control problem that with each day is becoming increasingly worse.

If PvP within Cyrodiil is to survive, could developers clarify perhaps the core values of Cyrodiil? Are we too assume this siege is to be used in place of skills? People will leap to the defense of siege claiming they use it to kill "tanky" players but this isn't just being used on such players anymore. This is now a norm for all players to use on anyone at any given opportunity. Anyone who has been to Cyrodiil will have seen this. In a way it is even being used to bypass any form of more “traditional” (open field/On the ground fights) PvP.

Should Cyrodiil continue down this trend into a "siege wars" where PvP (The reason for Cyrodiil) will take a backseat in terms of skills and fighting players on the field or should there be an adresse of the fact that siege unfortunately is reaching an out of control level.

Please nerf siege only two factions use it in Greyhost

Lol I guarantee your faction uses it too, it just doesn't hurt you.
  • MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    agree, nerf siege.
    Everyone is asking for it.
    And what is zos doing? Buffing meatbags 😂
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't quite see the issue here.
    What I think could be improved is the visibility of siege equipment damage on the ground
    You know what I think is the real problem? its players who can stand in a huge barrage of siege attacks from a dozen players, such as these troll tanks and ball groups and they just stand there reading a magazine.

That to me is complete nonsense and proof of how ridiculous it can be. In fact its sometimes the other way around, your skills get more results than the siege equipment

Turn up the brightness of the AOE colour in settings to make the siege damage show more.

Agree with the rest of what you wrote.

Don't like siege damage? Get someone to put up a siege shield! Or be tankier. My tanky PVP character usually just laughs at siege damage without a siege shield. Siege certainly does not need nerfing. I think its damage is about right.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buff siege. Bring back ground oils.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ground oils were awesome!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Buff siege. Bring back ground oils.

Bring back mercenary contracts, except this time add a Pact/Covenant/Dominion Siege Operator, that will place a 10 kiloton nuke siege, and fire it at the closest enemy player.
  • Oblivion_Protocol
    Oblivion_Protocol
    ✭✭✭✭
    People are constantly talking about nerfing siege. But when I watch a group of players with one or two healers completely laugh off a barrage of cold fire siege, I’m afraid I have to disagree with that assessment. Hell, I can absolutely shrug off oils on my 44k HP Warden. I can just stand under them like it’s a gentle rain. So really, siege engines need to be buffed, because they are no threat at all in their current state.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are constantly talking about nerfing siege. But when I watch a group of players with one or two healers completely laugh off a barrage of cold fire siege, I’m afraid I have to disagree with that assessment. Hell, I can absolutely shrug off oils on my 44k HP Warden. I can just stand under them like it’s a gentle rain. So really, siege engines need to be buffed, because they are no threat at all in their current state.

Yes every single day you will find a solo player standing on a rock outside an outpost taking multiple coldfires and meatbag hits and just shrugging them off like they were nothing. The only way to kill them is to get in their face and stunlock/ fear them and hope they make a mistake and miss a block/heal/shield.

Granted, you have to build for that, and that's not a build you'll find in a ball group or small man. But no one can deny that it is indeed possible to make siege look trivial under the right circumstances.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem with siege is it has always benefited the side with higher numbers, as they have more players available that can set up siege.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel