Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Game Freezes on Launch (Please post information here!)

• skysky92
    skysky92
    I'd take a look at it but I'm too busy chasing ambulances. Or waiting to play a game I paid for.

I see where you're coming from, because I've been trying to get it to work 15 hours as well, but acting like that isn't going to solve anything. It's just going to get you more aggravated and everyone else annoyed. Send them a ticket if you haven't already, leave, watch some tv or something.
    Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    Lol @Heishi I'm an attorney kiddo. If Terms of Service were so ironclad, we'd all be happy little flying monkeys in Oz. Lol.
    Lord, I was born a ramblin' man,
    Tryin' to make a livin' and doin' the best I can.
    And when it's time for leavin',
    I hope you'll understand,
    That I was born a ramblin' man
    Options
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Patience.... Xenimax and Bethesda tend to get problems fixed fairly quickly. Startup glitches always make Early Access almost useless. Devs can test a lot in Beta but Beta is not the Real Thing! Just have patience and see what happens over the next 35 days.
    Options
  • Kanvindr
    Kanvindr
    What is the error code when you blue screen? Let's start there.
    Options
  • skysky92
    skysky92
    Kanvindr wrote: »
    What is the error code when you blue screen? Let's start there.

Is there supposed to be an error code? I never saw one. I mean, the "play" button just greys out after you click it and then nothing. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Options
  • BlackOmega
    @Heishi‌

Thank you for posting that!
    BlackOmega
    Scourge of the Universe | Inquisitor of Knowledge | Jack of All Trades
    Options
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol @Heishi I'm an attorney kiddo. If Terms of Service were so ironclad, we'd all be happy little flying monkeys in Oz. Lol.

If you're an attorney, you should be used to reading terms and already know the things I pointed out rather than complaining about them :p I copied and pasted directly from the Terms. They may not be ironclad in their entirety, but those sections pretty much speak for themselves
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
    Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    I don't get an error code. It just freezes. Can't move mouse, ctrl-alt del, anything. It just hangs there.

I seriously doubt it's a hardware issue because I played the beta, but if it will help:

I have Windows 7 on a custom build, got 2x8 Corsair Vengeance RAM, an AMD Radeon 7860 video card, an ASUS M5A97 motherboard. What else you need?
    Options
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackOmega wrote: »
    @Heishi‌

No problem, the terms can be long to read, so I figured I'd pull some cliff notes the help. I vaguely recall in Sanguin's Section we agreed on another touchy subject.
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
    Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    @Heishi‌ In the legal world, what you write, what you mean, and what you actually deliver are three very different things. Google "adhesion contract" and educate thyself. Particularly the "shrink wrap as adhesive contract" discussion that's very alive and real in intellectual property.
    Edited by Siegfried_Greymane on March 31, 2014 12:55AM
    Options
  • Kanvindr
    Kanvindr
    Maybe it just takes time to launch? On my alienware takes a whole 2-3 mins.
    Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    I will try waiting longer but it was 15 mins earlier :-(
    Options
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is part of the reason I don't like lawyers.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • PoliticalEwok
    I'm getting the same thing as @Siegfried_Greymane it just crashes and i'm unable to do anything from there on.
    Options
  • ZOS_JordanH
    Greetings, all. We are experiencing an increase in contacts coming in to our Support Team. We are working to get customers' issues resolved as soon as possible. Rest assured, if you have submitted a ticket to our Support Team, we will address your issue.

We are investigating issues with our launcher and will report back with any updates. Thank you for your patience and your cooperation.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • BlackOmega
    Heishi wrote: »
    BlackOmega wrote: »
    @Heishi‌

No problem, the terms can be long to read, so I figured I'd pull some cliff notes the help. I vaguely recall in Sanguin's Section we agreed on another touchy subject.

Most MMO's have similar types of Terms of Use, etc... After reading through several of them, I know the drill.

As for refunds based on launch issues, highly doubtful. D3 and other online games with horrid launches show that it is extremely rare for refunds to be handed out based on issues.

Unfortunately, not reading an agreement you are entering into is not an excuse or a defense.
    BlackOmega
    Options
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Heishi‌ In the legal world, what you write, what you mean, and what you actually deliver are three very different things.
    In the legal world, what you mean is outlined in what you write, that's why they have redundant statements like:

(i) Content (defined in Section 2), (ii) other products or services that You install or play, including, but not limited to, ZeniMax’s computer and console entertainment software game(s) (collectively, “Game(s)”), (iii) software, including, but not limited to, third-party software (“Software”), and (iv) related services, such as downloading and uploading media, forums, and additional features (together with Content, Games and Software collectively referred to as “Services”)

If you don't write it into the terms, contract, ect what you mean can be interpreted which is the biggest cause for holes in the clauses. If what you actually deliver isn't what is written, that's when it becomes an issue. In this case, the rights to service and access are pretty clearly outlined
    Options
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    @Siegfried_Greymane‌
    As you are a lawyer, you know what you need to get an impression of a case. Right? right. So. You opened some threads, ranted here and there in the forums, but nothing to help the techs out to help you with your breaking computer.

If a computer freezes completely it is usually some kind of software or hardware error (and a severe one), sometimes it is a bug in the game. Usually it is a broken system.

So, to get your some more info on your case:

What antivirus are you using? Please disable it. Is your Windows up to date? Do other games work without a hitch? Is your graphic card driver up to date? Motherboard driver? Chipset?

You see...the possibilities why you freeze are nearly endless.
    Options
  • Kanvindr
    Kanvindr
    Seems that running as administrator helps other people. Try that.
    ZOS_RobertM Moderator mod
    9:33AM
    Hey everyone, if you are having this problem the first thing we want you to try is making sure you are running the client as an administrator.

If you are still not able to launch the game another thing you can try involves navigating to your UserSettings.txt file. The default location is My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online/Live. Once in that folder, locate the UserSettings.txt and open it with Notepad.

Locate the line "SET RequestedNumThreads "X" change the X from whatever number it may be to 0.

Once that change is made, save and close the document and try launch the game again.
    Edited by Kanvindr on March 31, 2014 1:04AM
    Options
  • skysky92
    skysky92
    Hey you guys. I fixed it. thanks to ZOS_RobertM. Go to Documents>Elder Scrolls Online, Live and check to see if you have a UserSettings.txt file. If you don't, follow his instructions here: forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/61018/launcher-wont-launch/p2
    Options
  • PoliticalEwok
    But why would i get this issues now and not back in Beta?
    Options
  • Kanvindr
    Kanvindr
    ZOS_RobertM Moderator mod
    10:51AM edited 5:47PM
    If the UserSettings.txt file is not present in the My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online folder, here's what you'll need to do (apologies in advance for the immense amount of text):

Open a new text document in Notepad

Paste the following information into the text document

SET MouseRawInput "1"
    SET MouseSensitivityFirstPerson "0.50000000"
    SET MouseSensitivityThirdPerson "1.28999996"
    SET MouseSmoothing "0"
    SET InvertMouseWheel "1"
    SET InvertMouseY "1"
    SET InvertMouseX "1"
    SET CachedRLREnabled "1"
    SET CachedReflectionResolution "4"
    SET CachedShadowFiltering "5"
    SET ScreenshotFormat "BMP"
    SET PregameGammaCheckEnabled "0"
    SET HardwareCheckEnabled.2 "0"
    SET SUB_SAMPLING "2"
    SET REFLECTION_QUALITY_v3 "2"
    SET PARTICLE_DENSITY "3"
    SET HIGH_RESOLUTION_SHADOWS "1"
    SET SHADOWS "4"
    SET GAMMA_ADJUSTMENT "112"
    SET VIEW_DISTANCE "1.69000006"
    SET GPUSmoothingFrames "10"
    SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS "0"
    SET RAIN_WETNESS "1"
    SET LENS_FLARE "1"
    SET GOD_RAYS_v2 "1"
    SET ANTI_ALIASING_v2 "1"
    SET AMBIENT_OCCLUSION "1"
    SET COLOR_GRADING_v1 "0"
    SET BLOOM "1"
    SET DEPTH_OF_FIELD "1"
    SET COLOR_CORRECTION "1"
    SET SOFT_ALPHA "1"
    SET DISTORTION "1"
    SET CHARACTER_LIGHTING "1"
    SET DIFFUSE_2_MAPS "1"
    SET DETAIL_MAPS "1"
    SET NORMAL_MAPS "1"
    SET SPECULAR_MAPS "1"
    SET CLUTTER_2D "1"
    SET SIMPLE_SHADERS "0"
    SET WATER_FOAM "1"
    SET VSYNC "0"
    SET MAX_ANISOTROPY "3"
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"
    SET PreferMaximizedWindow "0"
    SET FullscreenHeight "0"
    SET FullscreenWidth "0"
    SET WindowedHeight "768"
    SET WindowedWidth "1024"
    SET SOUND_ENABLED "1"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_VOLUME "50.00000000"
    SET FOOTSTEPS_ENABLED "1"
    SET SPEAKER_SETUP "0"
    SET BACKGROUND_AUDIO "0"
    SET VO_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET VO_ENABLED "1"
    SET UI_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET UI_ENABLED "1"
    SET AMBIENT_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET AMBIENT_ENABLED "1"
    SET SFX_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET SFX_ENABLED "1"
    SET MUSIC_VOLUME "70.00000000"
    SET MUSIC_ENABLED "1"
    SET AUDIO_VOLUME "59.00000000"
    SET AUDIO_ENABLED "1"
    SET TooltipFilter "2"
    SET TooltipNumOptions "2"
    SET EffectsLookupViaBinarySearch "1"
    SET Language.2 "en"
    SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    SET PatchDataPath "game:/GameData/"
    SET CacheDataPath "machine:/Cache/"
    SET GameCameraFirstPerson "0"
    SET AcceptedEULAVersion "2"
    SET DirectionalDamageIndictorVisibleInThirdPerson "0"
    SET CameraFramingTransitionEnabled "1"
    SET SkipPregameVideos "0"
    SET HasPlayedPregameVideo "1"
    SET RangedKillCamera "0"
    SET PlayerKillCamera "1"
    SET LastMonsterKillCamera "1"
    SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.01000000"
    SET ParticlesEnabled "1"
    SET RequestedNumThreads "0"
    SET FreeUnusedGrannyFileSections.2 "0"
    SET IsTrustedMachine "1"
    SET RememberAccountName "1"
    SET AccountName ""
    SET LastRealm "NA Megaserver"
    SET CustomUIScale "1.00000000"
    SET UseCustomUIScale.2 "0"
    SET RollDodgeDoubleTapEnabled "1"
    SET RollDodgeDoubleTapTimeWindow.2 "185"
    SET CameraZoomDistancesSynced "1"
    SET SiegeCameraZoomDistance "6.00000000"
    SET WeaponsOutCameraZoomDistance "2.00000000"
    SET WeaponsSheathedCameraZoomDistance "2.00000000"
    SET MaxNetworkWriteBuffer "10485760"
    SET MaxNetworkReadBuffer "10485760"

Save the file as UserSettings.txt in the My Documents/The Elder Scrolls Online folder

Restart the launcher
    Options
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Siegfried_Greymane‌

I missed your edit. You are absolutely correct about the adhesion contract:

A type of contract, a legally binding agreement between two parties to do a certain thing, in which one side has all the bargaining power and uses it to write the contract primarily to his or her advantage.

An example of an adhesion contract is a standardized contract form that offers goods or services to consumers on essentially a "take it or leave it" basis without giving consumers realistic opportunities to negotiate terms that would benefit their interests. When this occurs, the consumer cannot obtain the desired product or service unless he or she acquiesces to the form contract.

There is nothing unenforceable or even wrong about adhesion contracts. In fact, most businesses would never conclude their volume of transactions if it were necessary to negotiate all the terms of every Consumer Credit contract. Insurance contracts and residential leases are other kinds of adhesion contracts. This does not mean, however, that all adhesion contracts are valid. Many adhesion contracts are Unconscionable; they are so unfair to the weaker party that a court will refuse to enforce them. An example would be severe penalty provisions for failure to pay loan installments promptly that are physically hidden by small print located in the middle of an obscure paragraph of a lengthy loan agreement. In such a case a court can find that there is no meeting of the minds of the parties to the contract and that the weaker party has not accepted the terms of the contract.

To me that essentially reads, know what you're signing up for when you create the account or cancel the account, which they gladly offer via section 7 of the terms. It's skewed in favor of the stronger party, but they give you an out if your don't agree.
    Options
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    he is having a different issue.
    Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    @Yshaar‌ Yes, everything is up to date. I played the Beta, worked fine. I play Secret World, works fine. I run everything fine. Everything is up to date. Even my USB drivers are up to date.

My antivirus isn't an issue, it's MalwareBytes, and I have configured it for gaming.

I re-downloaded the files. Same issue. I copied and pasted the correct settings into UserSettings.

Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    It should not crash my PC. That's mind boggling.
    Options
  • BlackOmega
    It should not crash my PC. That's mind boggling.

Pretty sure you are not the only one having this issue. I have read one or two other posts with peoples experiencing the same issue (crashes after program starts up).

Since it seems to not be a one-off, I am sure they are looking into it.

BlackOmega
    Options
  • ZOS_JordanH
    While we investigate functionality issues with the launcher, there are a few pieces of information you can provide us with. You can respond in-thread with your information:

Firstly, if you would, attach these 4 files:

1. host.developer log file
    2. Launcher.Settings file (located in the \Zenimax Online\Launcher directory)
    3. A screenshot of your \Zenimax Online folder or a listing of any subfolders in your \Zenimax Online folder
    4. A screenshot of a right click + properties of the The Elder Scrolls Online or The Elder Scrolls Online EU folder to determine the size of the data you currently have.

You can also help us by providing answers to these four questions:

1. Which environment were you patching when this happened? NA, EU, PTS?
    2. What region are you actually in geographically?
    3. What environment(s) are now showing in your patcher? NA, EU, PTS
    4. Is this a brand new install or is it being patched up from a previous version?

Again, you can simply reply in this thread. Thank you again for your patience as we try to resolve this issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    Q's:
    1. NA
    2. NA
    3. NA
    4. Initially it was a beta launcher that I patched, then I deleted everything and reinstalled.

Options
  • Siegfried_Greymane
    How do I attach files to a post?
    Options