Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Not only Nocturnal, Anyone looked at Mara’s Balm?

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am so concerned by 2 new sets far behind any DOT, or light and heavy attack nerf. Even above my main class nerfs.

Balance ebbs and flows. Game changing mechanics are far more damaging
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just have it on a 1 sec CD? Seems more like a bug to me.

Even the sets own cleans should only heal for 2k, as any other cleans mechanic in the game.
  • seventyfive
    seventyfive
    ✭✭✭
    FrankonPC wrote: »
    A few thoughts and observations after testing this set:

1. This set not only applies to effects ending via cooldown or purge, but also people recasting. If you reapply poison inject, 1k heal. If you reapply embers before the effects end, you get 2k( 1 for the dot, 1 for burning status.
    2. You also heal every time you cc break or remove a snare, so it's not just for purges.
    3. Every 15 seconds severely outnumbered you get a crimson in its prime like heal. I've had multiple outnumbered situations where status effects were running off my bar. That means an over 10k+ heal every 15 seconds on top of these other heals.

sxq6pf12v8ei.jpg

Just imagine charged force pulse builds stacking status effects. That's an up to 4k heal every time effects end or are reapplied. Extremely powerful set and kind of slept on because nocturnals is so much more problematic

Please post this in the "official" PTS Combat Balance thread to lower the odds of it gettings missed. It's possible the heal is supposed to be tied to the cleanse only and it's simply a technical error that it is free from it without any cooldown as a whole 5 piece bonus on its own.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel this one is going to get missed and go live...
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On this update There are 2 types of OP sets:

The first type of set 1VsXers hate because it will give low level players in groups the ability to cripple 1vsXers by just applying depuffs on them. On the other hand, it won't really benefit 1VsXers so they will probably would not have used it themselves. Obviously 1vsXers are very vocal about this type of set.

The other type is the opposite, it can be abused by 1VsXers to make near immortal builds but it will not really help the average casual that will die from a 3 hit combo from a good player. This type of set is being kept hush hush because most top players already recognized the power of this set and are planning on using it.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The first type of set 1VsXers hate because it will give low level players in groups the ability to cripple 1vsXers by just applying depuffs on them. On the other hand, it won't really benefit 1VsXers so they will probably would not have used it themselves. Obviously 1vsXers are very vocal about this type of set.

The other type is the opposite, it can be abused by 1VsXers to make near immortal builds but it will not really help the average casual that will die from a 3 hit combo from a good player. This type of set is being kept hush hush because most top players already recognized the power of this set and are planning on using it.

Not saying you're wrong on motives...but I don't think anyone thinks Maras is anything but broken. I thought it would get a cooldown this week.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This type of set is being kept hush hush because most top players already recognized the power of this set and are planning on using it.
    I don't think overpowered PvP heal proc sets in a tank meta are anything anyone wants. The wording on this set doesn't let on just how often it procs or how much it heals for, and most of the attention is on various massive damage nerfs.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That 1st set is a concern to everybody because it would equally screw everyone. Those ball groups would be using it on each other, and any 1vXer would be using it on each other if they were in a spot they felt the need to fight. Most don't as they are held up in an enemy resource and not going to respond to their own.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This type of set is being kept hush hush because most top players already recognized the power of this set and are planning on using it.
    I don't think overpowered PvP heal proc sets in a tank meta are anything anyone wants. The wording on this set doesn't let on just how often it procs or how much it heals for, and most of the attention is on various massive damage nerfs.

Its true, but I'm very convinced that the game's main influencers are quite aware of this set power and yet I cannot find even one video related to this set, I also think this thread is only forum thread related to this set.

On the other hand, you have so many videos and forum threads discussing how OP Nocturnal is, how this set should be scrapped regardless to CD, etc...
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1st set is a concern to everybody because it would equally screw everyone. Those ball groups would be using it on each other, and any 1vXer would be using it on each other if they were in a spot they felt the need to fight. Most don't as they are held up in an enemy resource and not going to respond to their own.

There are so many ways for ball groups to do nasty things to other ball groups, not sure buff purging is up there on the list. I think one good positioned "Suppression Field" is so much more disruptive compared to 5 players wearing this set. But IDK...
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There are so many ways for ball groups to do nasty things to other ball groups, not sure buff purging is up there on the list. I think one good positioned "Suppression Field" is so much more disruptive compared to 5 players wearing this set. But IDK...

Doing those things are not mutually exclusive.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its true, but I'm very convinced that the game's main influencers are quite aware of this set power and yet I cannot find even one video related to this set, I also think this thread is only forum thread related to this set.

On the other hand, you have so many videos and forum threads discussing how OP Nocturnal is, how this set should be scrapped regardless to CD, etc...

Comparatively, a defensive set that just prolongs you dying, at the sake of giving up a damage set, isn't nearly as problematic as an offensive set that not only has the potential to increase the wearers power against a target, but also forces the target to spend resources to counter repeatedly.

So, while both sets are a problem, especially now knowing how Mara functions, Nocturnal was/is far more problematic due to its offensive/debuff nature.

I think that Mara is getting less coverage because it Nocturnal is just that much more of a problem, and, based on the set bonus wording, it doesn't looks like it would really be an issue. Pair that with the Plaguebreak meta, and a set that purges just isn't desirable looking.

Now, with the underlying functionality of the set better undertsood, Mara seems OP for sure. But still, Nocturnal is worse.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i mean, im talking about it in here, on my stream etc. the problem is testing this set. it's tough to get people on the pts to attempt to replicate this set for an outnumbered situation. I think it's extremely broken with how it applies, but i can't quantify "how" broken it is because of what we can test on the pts
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. This set not only applies to effects ending via cooldown or purge, but also people recasting. If you reapply poison inject, 1k heal. If you reapply embers before the effects end, you get 2k( 1 for the dot, 1 for burning status.
    2. You also heal every time you cc break or remove a snare, so it's not just for purges.
    3. Every 15 seconds severely outnumbered you get a crimson in its prime like heal. I've had multiple outnumbered situations where status effects were running off my bar. That means an over 10k+ heal every 15 seconds on top of these other heals.

sxq6pf12v8ei.jpg

Just imagine charged force pulse builds stacking status effects. That's an up to 4k heal every time effects end or are reapplied. Extremely powerful set and kind of slept on because nocturnals is so much more problematic

Please post this in the "official" PTS Combat Balance thread to lower the odds of it gettings missed. It's possible the heal is supposed to be tied to the cleanse only and it's simply a technical error that it is free from it without any cooldown as a whole 5 piece bonus on its own.

ill do that today plus a video with what i have tested. hopefully it's enough
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree.

The wording on mara's balm, to any player that has played the game for years, implies that a purge or snare removal must he used in order to proc it. This is what myself and probably many others thought upon initially reading the set, which would make it niche and only decent for templar/warden.

The fact that it procs from all the other things is obviously an oversight on zenimax's behalf. There is no way they intended for it to proc on reapplications, expirations etc.

Or maybe they did. To he honest, anything is possible given that they approved and implemented nocturnals ploy to the PTS. I think the reality is that both of these sets show that not a single person in combat design or itemization actually does PVP.

At minimum, maras balm needs a 1 second gcd. It probably also should not proc on reapplications.
    Edited by React on August 4, 2022 2:45AM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sxq6pf12v8ei.jpg

ill do that today plus a video with what i have tested. hopefully it's enough

Hi, That will be great, looking for forward watching it.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »

Disagree.

The wording on mara's balm, to any player that has played the game for years, implies that a purge or snare removal must he used in order to proc it. This is what myself and probably many others thought upon initially reading the set, which would make it niche and only decent for templar/warden.

The fact that it procs from all the other things is obviously an oversight on zenimax's behalf. There is no way they intended for it to proc on reapplications, expirations etc.

Or maybe they did. To he honest, anything is possible given that they approved and implemented nocturnals ploy to the PTS. I think the reality is that both of these sets show that not a single person in combat design or itemization actually does PVP.

At minimum, maras balm needs a 1 second gcd. It probably also should not proc on reapplications.

1)Experienced players know that any set without any kind of a CD attached to its procs should be at least reviewed and tested. This is a red flag to begin with.

2)You can suspect this set is OP just by looking at its overall power compared to other sets of the same type. Even without knowing the unexpected behavior of this set you can see its got potentially more power than "Robes of the Hist"(which always considered a strong healing set) + "Wyrd Tree's Blessing"(the best selfish purge set), so atleast double the power compared to a normal set.

3)Now you add the potential synergy with a class like templar(and any templar can recognize the potential instantly) and you think to yourself, "wait" , any time I sue "Extended Ritual" I can get 11K heal for free on top of the set's normal functionality?

Forget the fact it procs from many things that don't suppose to proc it, its insanely OP regardless.
    I agree it needs at least 1 sec CD. I would prefer that the healing effect will be attached to the purge effect on a 15 sec CD(~13k heal). BTW, even if look at this set as suggested- 6 negative effects removed+13k heal every 15 sec(automatic proc), its still probably one of the best back bar survival sets out there. This is how strong this set is.
    Edited by Lughlongarm on August 4, 2022 7:07AM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that this set heals every time any kind of negative effect is reapplied or cc break snare removal etc is kind of insane.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree.

1)Experienced players know that any set without any kind of a CD attached to its procs should be at least reviewed and tested. This is a red flag to begin with.

2)You can suspect this set is OP just by looking at its overall power compared to other sets of the same type. Even without knowing the unexpected behavior of this set you can see its got potentially more power than "Robes of the Hist"(which always considered a strong healing set) + "Wyrd Tree's Blessing"(the best selfish purge set), so atleast double the power compared to a normal set.

3)Now you add the potential synergy with a class like templar(and any templar can recognize the potential instantly) and you think to yourself, "wait" , any time I sue "Extended Ritual" I can get 11K heal for free on top of the set's normal functionality?

Forget the fact it procs from many things that don't suppose to proc it, its insanely OP regardless.
    I agree it needs at least 1 sec CD. I would prefer that the healing effect will be attached to the purge effect on a 15 sec CD(~13k heal). BTW, even if look at this set as suggested- 6 negative effects removed+13k heal every 15 sec(automatic proc), its still probably one of the best back bar survival sets out there. This is how strong this set is.

Sure, in general sets with no CD are stronger comparatively to one's with a CD. But when the assumed context of the proc is only when using a snare immunity or purge, the set becomes dismissable for all but templar, warden, or possibly necromancer. It isn't until you understand all of the unintentional proc conditions that the set becomes OP - before that, it is just another hist-like set where you're sacrificing a ton of damage to become tankier. The reality of the game currentley is that if you wear a set like this, you will not kill any half decent player in pvp.

On the PTS as of last week, the damage is signifcantly lower in pvp as well. This might have changed due to the weaving changes in the most recent pts patch, but the unreasonably tanky meta on the pts further pushes a set like this from the meta.

If they don't fix it, you'll need to double bar for it to be truly broken aswell.
    Edited by React on August 4, 2022 2:31PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree.

Sure, in general sets with no CD are stronger comparatively to one's with a CD. But when the assumed context of the proc is only when using a snare immunity or purge, the set becomes dismissable for all but templar, warden, or possibly necromancer. It isn't until you understand all of the unintentional proc conditions that the set becomes OP - before that, it is just another hist-like set where you're sacrificing a ton of damage to become tankier. The reality of the game currentley is that if you wear a set like this, you will not kill any half decent player in pvp.

On the PTS as of last week, the damage is signifcantly lower in pvp as well. This might have changed due to the weaving changes in the most recent pts patch, but the unreasonably tanky meta on the pts further pushes a set like this from the meta.

If they don't fix it, you'll need to double bar for it to be truly broken aswell.

As it is right now, definitely double bar. Don't many players use sets like "Aetherial Ascension" double bar on live? Mara’s is much much better.
    Edited by Lughlongarm on August 4, 2022 3:54PM
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree.

As it is right now, definitely double bar. Don't many players use sets like "Aetherial Ascension" double bar on live? Mara’s is much much better.

Double barring makes sense so that you get the full maximization of all of the dots being reapplied.

At the same time though, just having it as a back bar option for when you get jumped on and have to go defensive isn't bad at all either. Was dueling a friend last night and he only had it back barred and it was his largest source of healing. Hots could have been better but he just didn't need to apply them because of mara's
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, there is a cp star that removes all negative effects when you drop below 25%... Just putting it out there, its basically like a second life with this set XD
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Btw, there is a cp star that removes all negative effects when you drop below 25%... Just putting it out there, its basically like a second life with this set XD

If break free removing the stun effect works for this too, that CP star that auto breaks free would synergize well here too.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

If break free removing the stun effect works for this too, that CP star that auto breaks free would synergize well here too.

Something something procs shouldn't proc procs.
    Good thing the team is hard focused on pve changes, so this set likely will go live as is.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't check cp, but we did test wyrd tree and it proc'd mara's. So there's a good chance that the cp constellation will as well.

not that you would run wyrd and mara's, but just wanted to see if sets could proc the set.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Single barring it can give you control on when the auto-purge at 6 debuffs happens preventing groups from being concerned with PB
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uploaded a video today on maras

https://youtu.be/jH0BRNiq4ko
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uploaded a video today on maras

https://youtu.be/jH0BRNiq4ko

Great Video, thank you for making this.
  • Fidget1302
    @ZOS_Icy @ZOS_Gilliam I'll provide a video link below from PTS where a content creator tested the Mara's Balm set in 1v1 and in 1vx scenarios. This set needs serious, serious adjustment. Add a cooldown on the first heal. Do something. Sets like Plaguebreak won't be an effective counter, and there's no skill ability or other set that is a counter to this. So, there's no counter play. If you want balance in PvP environments, you have to have counter play for everything. In the video you'll see the content creator standing still and letting his opponent empty burst combos on him and the set heals him through it and cleanses. The content creator literally didn't cast a heal or defensive or buff ability - just stood there doing nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH0BRNiq4ko&t=619s

Thank you.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welp, looks like the set is going live as is. Time for everyone to run it and be unkillable for a few months.