The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nameplates

• Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    /AGREE /SIGNED /WANT
    NAOW!
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    No to nameplates and all the other whining to clutter up the UI. If you need to discern npc from player turn on health bars for either one. If you need to see who a player is, hover your mouse over them and whisper for more info.. ya know.. interact with the human
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Sidney
    Sidney
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly do you mean by name plates? The names themselves? Or healthbars? or a combo?

I have nameplates on. I can see nameplates of npcs (green), enemies (red), players (teal), and group members (blue).

Might be part of my addon if you guys don't have that and if not, you should check out esoui and snag some mods.

I'm using a lot but the one likely to give the nameplates is FTC.

There is also a mod called rainbow reticle which will tell you if you mouse over a guildie, friend, group member - configurable as well. However it doesn't allow me to see names of players that I'm not mousing over, so maybe this is what you mean.

If that's the case, yea I'd like to see this implemented too.
    >.<_____/
    If you want me to read a post aimed at me, please put @Sidney.
    Please give us tail armor and dyeable tail ribbons.
    Click Here -->Support Dyeable Tail Ribbons<---
    All your mats r belong to Khajiit.
    Click Here -->Support Tail Armor<---
  • albinokitten
    albinokitten
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how anyone could disagree with wanting an OPTION for nameplates. You know, you can keep them turned off right?

I'd probably switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. I love a little roll play every now and then, seeing name plates would help me distinguish those around me.
    Edited by albinokitten on April 15, 2014 12:36PM
  • Oblongship
    Oblongship
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaosx wrote: »
    Zenimax, please re-enable the ability to show nameplates. I understand there are players who wish the full immersion experience, and do not wish to have them enabled, but if there is an option to enable or disable nameplates, everyone wins!

If you won't re-enable this UI feature, please enable the nameplate API so add-on developers can create something for your player base.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no

This would very much so affect pvp and I am not ok with that.
  • albinokitten
    albinokitten
    ✭✭✭
    How would this effect PvP? I now know who killed me? That doesn't really matter and with how many enemies are around I'd end up getting myself killed trying to act on revenge. *Yay more alliance points for you!*
  • icengr_ESO
    icengr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I would be fine with an option. but I don't want to see nameplates. just don't complain later when you turn them on and your fps goes down.
    Edited by icengr_ESO on April 15, 2014 12:43PM
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    No to nameplates and all the other whining to clutter up the UI. If you need to discern npc from player turn on health bars for either one. If you need to see who a player is, hover your mouse over them and whisper for more info.. ya know.. interact with the human

Yes because trying to chase someone down while trying to keep your mouse over them just to trade or whisper is intuitive and not in the least frustrating let alone trying to work out who's who?

I take it you're either new to MMORPG's or really do enjoy running around oblivious to who is around you in game?
    I don't see how anyone could disagree with wanting an OPTION for nameplates. You know, you can keep them turned off right?

I'd probably switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing. I love a little roll play every now and then, seeing name plates would help me distinguish those around me.

Exactly.
    I tried selling a motif today, I was standing in the Devons Watch bank and I kid you not took us both 5 minutes to find one another amongst the crowd gathered there...was about to call it quits when we finally found eachother.
    Again I'll say it, it helps identify who's around you, put a name to a face so to speak and helps in raids/groups/pvp.
    A toggle SHOULD be in game.
    Really not that hard.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with it as long as it's an "option"
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /Signed

this needs to be added for all the reasons mentioned.

Don't want it fine, toggle it off and please allow your game fellows the option to play the game how they want. With toggle it wont impact on you, don't be so mean!
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • veneficus
    veneficus
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. The UI needs to stay minimal. This is an Elder Scrolls game not a WoW clone. Also having nameplates displayed as an option would provide those who want nameplates with a distinct advantage in PvP and force those who do not want this element to use it in order to stay competitive.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    veneficus wrote: »
    Absolutely not. The UI needs to stay minimal. This is an Elder Scrolls game not a WoW clone. Also having nameplates displayed as an option would provide those who want nameplates with a distinct advantage in PvP and force those who do not want this element to use it in order to stay competitive.

Again with this WoW clone comparison.
    How does having a players name above their head give any kind of advantage in pvp? Sorry but that is just ridiculous.

First and foremost this is a MMORPG not a single player TES title. It is all about socializing, getting to know others and being able to identify who is who.
    Want immersion? Go play single player TES.
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, since this is not classic ES and it is MMO and nameplates are essential in all mmo's. At least there should be an option to enable or disable nameplates or NPC's or players.
  • Lucent
    Lucent
    ✭✭
    I have gotten used to the lack of player nameplates but I would really like to see some kind of nameplate option or symbol for merchants at least. For enemy players I have health bars enabled so I can know what I'm walking into when coming across a new village, etc., to know if they are hostile or not. It is, however, difficult to find out which one the of the people standing around crafting areas, for example, are merchants right away. This is especially true in low level areas, higher areas it becomes more obvious by the way they are dressed. Another example of the lack of merchant info displayed is that I just recently discovered that there is a merchant in the Mages guild that sells rings and necklaces, would have been helpful to have known sooner. :p Those who argue this due to immersion issues have never been to a real department store? Even store employees wear nametags to identify who they are, in real life!
    Edited by Lucent on April 15, 2014 1:50PM
  • nickroc
    nickroc
    ✭✭
    would be nice to know who the hell you are playing with, instead of a mess of people with no social aspect.
    Error 301: You purchased The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭

You do not need to clutter up your UI, because you would have the option to not enable nameplates. Your gameplay experience would not change whatsoever from the way it is today.
    Sidney wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by name plates? The names themselves? Or healthbars? or a combo?

A nameplate is the name of a character or NPC shown in text above that character or NPC's head. Nameplate functionality is currently disabled in ESO, only health bars show above character and npc heads. The target frame which shows the character or NPC's name when you target them with the reticule is something else entirely.

Oblongship wrote: »

Actually there are ways to make it not effect pvp at all. If ESO takes a page from GW2's book, instead of the players name above their head, it can instead say "Daggerfall Invader" or "Ebonheart Invader" etc, they do not necessarily need to show the players name. It's about compromise my friend ;)

icengr_ESO wrote: »
    I would be fine with an option. but I don't want to see nameplates. just don't complain later when you turn them on and your fps goes down.

There is no evidence to show that enabling Nameplates would significantly impact FPS. Even if it did, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the impact.

As I mentioned in my above comment, individual player nameplates do not need to be shown in pvp if that is a concern for you. Also, adding an option to a game does not "force" any one to use it, that's why they call it an "option", because it's "optional". Just like Video effects, sound effects, auto loot, changing chat text colors for different chat channels, etc, nameplates would just be one more option amongst all the rest. Your gameplay experience would not have to change from the way it is today at all.

Edited by Chaosx on April 15, 2014 2:24PM
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaosx wrote: »

You do not need to clutter up your UI, because you would have the option to not enable nameplates. Your gameplay experience would not change whatsoever from the way it is today.
    Sidney wrote: »

A nameplate is the name of a character or NPC shown in text above that character or NPC's head. Nameplate functionality is currently disabled in ESO, only health bars show above character and npc heads. The target frame which shows the character or NPC's name when you target them with the reticule is something else entirely.

Oblongship wrote: »

Actually there are ways to make it not effect pvp at all. If ESO takes a page from GW2's book, instead of the players name above their head, it can instead say "Daggerfall Invader" or "Ebonheart Invader" etc, they do not necessarily need to show the players name. It's about compromise my friend ;)

icengr_ESO wrote: »

There is no evidence to show that enabling Nameplates would significantly impact FPS. Even if it did, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the impact.

As I mentioned in my above comment, individual player nameplates do not need to be shown in pvp if that is a concern for you. Also, adding an option to a game does not "force" any one to use it, that's why they call it an "option", because it's "optional". Just like Video effects, sound effects, auto loot, changing chat text colors for different chat channels, etc, nameplates would just be one more option amongst all the rest. Your gameplay experience would not have to change from the way it is today at all.
    +10
    What a concise and well structured response to ignorance.

• Neesie
    Neesie
    Oh, yes. Brilliant idea! I really want to be able to single out players with names like Hamburger Jackson so that I can get kicks from NOT healing them!

Seriously, though: ignore this guy. Not having name and guild displayed is a wonderful deviation from the typical MMO model that makes the game more immersive.
    Neesie - Argonian Templar, Ebonhart Pact
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Neesie wrote: »
    Oh, yes. Brilliant idea! I really want to be able to single out players with names like Hamburger Jackson so that I can get kicks from NOT healing them!

Seriously, though: ignore this guy. Not having name and guild displayed is a wonderful deviation from the typical MMO model that makes the game more immersive.

@Neesie‌ why exactly would you have to single out anyone? You realize that you have the ability to NOT display nameplates, effectively keeping your gameplay exactly the way it is today, right? I understand that you are obviously not in favor of nameplates, but you have the freedom to not use them. No one will force you to change the way you play, so you can continue to enjoy not playing with nameplates, even with the feature added to the game, and not heal or heal people as you choose ;)
    Edited by Chaosx on April 15, 2014 4:06PM
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Anoteros wrote: »
    +10
    What a concise and well structured response to ignorance.

Thank you, I appreciate the comment. I'm just trying to understand why players who are against nameplates do not realize they do not have to enable the option...

• c.andersenb16_ESO
    The lack of minimap, nameplates, point and see info and everything like it, have made this MMO the most immersive i have yet seen, i feel like im part of this world and have to "point" at with my char, to see what something is or do. I feel info boxes make me look away from the pretty world, so i am quite happy with how things are, even the chaos it brings with it, its beliveable and immersive!
  • roblock81b14_ESO
    I am all for nameplates too. For questing and such I would likely turn them off but in the heat of battle inside a dungeon or raid it sure would be nice to quickly identify the person I am trying to keep alive. For me at least the health bar in the party window does not seem to scale with the health bar over heads.

Basically when I am looking in the party window it looks like someone is down to 60% hp but when I finally figure out who it is to send over a heal it looks like they are at 80% in the overhead health bar.

I still cannot understand how others would be upset with it as an option...you do not like it then shut it off. Nobody is gaining an advantage and I am sure they could always set it to not display nameplates in pvp anyways.
  • gudsy
    gudsy
    Soul Shriven
    +1 on nameplates.

Opening the group panel to see who is the tank in my group or having to open the map in a city each 5 seconds is much more immersion breaking imo,

• Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neesie wrote: »

The lack of minimap, nameplates, point and see info and everything like it, have made this MMO the most immersive i have yet seen, i feel like im part of this world and have to "point" at with my char, to see what something is or do. I feel info boxes make me look away from the pretty world, so i am quite happy with how things are, even the chaos it brings with it, its beliveable and immersive!

For starters, if you don't like it why are you bothering to post in a topic about wanting nameplates?
    And secondly so because you do not like this feature those of us who do should succumb to your way of playing blind and oblivious? Sorry but no.
  • Anoteros
    Anoteros
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am all for nameplates too. For questing and such I would likely turn them off but in the heat of battle inside a dungeon or raid it sure would be nice to quickly identify the person I am trying to keep alive. For me at least the health bar in the party window does not seem to scale with the health bar over heads.

Basically when I am looking in the party window it looks like someone is down to 60% hp but when I finally figure out who it is to send over a heal it looks like they are at 80% in the overhead health bar.

I still cannot understand how others would be upset with it as an option...you do not like it then shut it off. Nobody is gaining an advantage and I am sure they could always set it to not display nameplates in pvp anyways.

I've been trying to work out what exactly is motivating these 'immersion' cry babies to constantly protest against this. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm wondering what immersion they keep harping on about exactly. They all have to press a key to interact and do things, they all have to mouse over the same dialogue when talking to npcs and the chat window is in their face 100% of the time what about menus for abilities, guilds etc...Floating nameplate text which can be toggled above a players head is no more immersion breaking that the game features I just mentioned.
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Edited by Chaosx on April 15, 2014 5:01PM
  • starstruck
    starstruck
    ✭✭
    Daendur wrote: »
    I think nameplates contribute to create a community.
    Running around, surrounded by a bunch of unknown strangers is pretty different than running around surrounded by well known people.

Or running around surrounded by a bunch of familiar named strangers, after u keep bumping into the same few people. :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Endolith
    Endolith
    ✭✭✭
    A mod said previously that petitions were against the terms of use of the forums, so I expect you'll see this thread closed.

I like it without the name tags. If they want to add a toggle, I don't have a problem with it. It's kind of an easy-mode addition to the current PvP, but that's what people like.
  • Phyrdrin
    Phyrdrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful when making petitions, as they are against the official forum rules. At least, that's what I've been told in the past. I don't care about this situation either way. Mainly, I'm curious as to why people would think having nameplates would give an advantage in pvp or otherwise. This seems absurd.
    "Surprise me. Say something intelligent."
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Ah thanks for the info, I checked the terms of service and did not see anything stating petitions were against the TOS. I'll remove the link.
This discussion has been closed.