The Lost Depths DLC and Update 35 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Nameplates

Chaosx
Chaosx
✭✭
Zenimax, please re-enable the ability to show nameplates. I understand there are players who wish the full immersion experience, and do not wish to have them enabled, but if there is an option to enable or disable nameplates, everyone wins!

If you won't re-enable this UI feature, please enable the nameplate API so add-on developers can create something for your player base.

Special Note: To players who oppose name plate functionality, you can choose to disable name plates, and your level of immersion in the game will not change from what it was previously. No one is forcing you to use the name plate option, and your game play experience will not change by adding this option to the game.
Edited by Chaosx on April 15, 2014 5:00PM
  • Zeviroth
    Zeviroth
    Same, I could have ran across hundreds of guildmates and friends yesterday without ever knowing...
  • kelisw1ub17_ESO
    THIS please
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Zenimax, is it possible for someone to explain the reasoning behind the lack of nameplates? Can someone from your company make an official statement on why they were removed from Beta? Can a Zenimax employee let us know if Nameplates could be considered in the future, or are we beating a dead horse so to speak?

    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom you have been really helpful answering players questions, any chance you could find out about this for us?
  • azraels_grave
    Actually not enabling nameplates allows for better PvP. You can't see x player hiding around the corner waiting for you. With nameplates you can because they show very well in any environment.
    "Reality does not exist online. So please do not infect my gaming experience with your perception of reality."
  • krees28b14_ESO
    krees28b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Actually not enabling nameplates allows for better PvP. You can't see x player hiding around the corner waiting for you. With nameplates you can because they show very well in any environment.

    True. But, you can auto disable nameplates upon entering PvP and allow them for PvE. But, in PvP I would like to see the name of the guy that just killed me or I killed him. Something like " You have killed player xxxx". Just so I know, not like I will see him every day or something but you never know.
  • Hypersillyman
    Hypersillyman
    ✭✭✭
    There's no real reason not to at least include this as an OPTION. Those who don't like or want them can turn it off. Those of us who do want them can turn it on. Everybody wins.
    LFG Fippy Darkpaw. PST.
  • Shineko
    Shineko
    ✭✭✭
    Actually not enabling nameplates allows for better PvP. You can't see x player hiding around the corner waiting for you. With nameplates you can because they show very well in any environment.

    Hiding an enemy player's nameplate until the player is targeted, the same manner as highlighting an enemy by pointing at them, or have it pop on when the enemy is in combat with an ally isn't really much of a stretch.
  • TeRyn
    TeRyn
    ✭✭✭
    Macoy wrote: »
    I would like to have name plates mainly to see my friends/guild mates.

    +party members.

    Simply adds an option for this. Enable nameplates. Disable. So friggin simple.

  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Still here, lurking, reading, enjoying the screenshots. We're working on pushing the new build to the North American megaserver right now. No changes to the ETA yet (still looking at a few hours, maybe a couple.) As soon as we can provide a time, we will.

    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ Is there any chance you could find out some info for us about nameplates from your team while we wait for the servers to come back up?
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

    Hi ladies, I know you are both swamped with pm's and tickets and bug reports, but if you could find a spare minute or two to reply to this thread, or to have a member from your team respond, I would really appreciate it.

    I ran a quick search for posts about "name plates" and "nameplates", and I can see there are quite a few people asking for this feature to be added. Could we please get an official response, to set the record straight?

    Why were nameplates removed from the game?
    Why was the API for nameplates removed, preventing anyone from making a mod providing name plate functionality?
    Why are all the threads asking for nameplates going unanswered?

    Even if you could just say "this is something we are working on", this would make a lot of people happy.

    So how bout it, any official comment?
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaosx wrote: »
    Zenimax, please re-enable the ability to show nameplates. I understand there are players who wish the full immersion experience, and do not wish to have them enabled, but if there is an option to enable or disable nameplates, everyone wins!

    If you won't re-enable this UI feature, please enable the nameplate API so add-on developers can create something for your player base.

    No. Elderscrolls doesnt have nameplates. Adding it or a mini map or other WoW features will make this not an elder scrolls game.
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @Ragnar_Lodbrok I do not see how adding nameplates will make this "not an elder scrolls game". if you don't like or agree with nameplates, you do not have to enable them, and your game experience will not change.

    As for nameplates being a "WoW" feature, ever major MMORPG in the last decade has incorporated nameplates into their UI. This is not a single player game, it's an online community, so this game is already "not like an elder scrolls game".
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaosx wrote: »
    @Ragnar_Lodbrok I do not see how adding nameplates will make this "not an elder scrolls game". if you don't like or agree with nameplates, you do not have to enable them, and your game experience will not change.

    As for nameplates being a "WoW" feature, ever major MMORPG in the last decade has incorporated nameplates into their UI. This is not a single player game, it's an online community, so this game is already "not like an elder scrolls game".

    Id rather have Elder Scrolls Online than x typical wow style mmo. If you want name plates there are 999 other mmos that have them. Stop trying to change Elder Scrolls away from being elder scrolls. They would lose far more players by changing that formula than they would satisfy.
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @Ragnar_Lodbrok - Why exactly would they lose players by adding nameplates, when you can simply disable them and not use them? It's like an ice cream store offering vanilla or chocolate ice cream. If you don't like chocolate...then don't buy it. You can still have your vanilla goodness, and other people who enjoy something different can have their chocolate.

    If you do not turn the nameplates on, there is absolutely zero change to your gameplay experience, so your argument does not make sense. If you don't want to see them, you don't have to, you realize that right?

    "One of the core philosophies of The Elder Scrolls Online is to allow you to play the way you want" This is what their developers believe in, so if players want nameplates added, they should provide them.

    Edited by Chaosx on April 4, 2014 4:18PM
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are not in the game for a good design reason, namely keeping it Elder Scrolls. If you cant see that people would be upset over that (like Zenimax clearly does), then likely nothing I or others could say would change your mind. I like the no name plates because it does feel like an immersive real world without it. Its refreshing.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    There used to be nameplates in the game. It was during the beta. They were in big blue block letters way above your head. They were honestly terrible. Not saying that if they added nameplates now they'd be like that, they'd obviously be better. Any way, zos will most likely NOT add nameplates. However, there are add-ons for this that are fully functioning so I see no reason why you guys are complaining here about that you want zos to add nameplates (which they have heard so many times already) instead of just going to download a add-on (I know for sure one exists but I'm to lazy to search up a add-on that can easily be googled by a 12-year old) that makes nameplates me in the game.
    That's all, your questions have been answered.
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    Guess what @Ragnar_Lodbrok‌, they added dungeons, and skyshards, and a looking for dungeon tool, and guilds, and all sorts of things that were not part of any other elder scrolls game. How is it that nameplates change Elder scrolls so badly in your eyes, but none of these other features they added do? Your arguments do not make any sense.

    You say you like the no name plates because it feels like an "immersive real world".

    Adding namplates WONT CHANGE that. Your game will still be the same, you don't have to turn the nameplates on, you can keep them off, and your game will be just as immersive as it ever was.

    How does adding something you don't see or use, ruin your immersion?
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @xshadowclawzz12 actually the API for nameplates to work is currently disabled, and there are no working addon's for nameplates because of this.

    tamrielfoundry.com/topic/have-a-question/page/2/#post-350838

    But by all means, if you decide to become less "lazy" and want to provide me with the name of this addon you speak or, or better yet a link to it, that would be just dandy.
    Edited by Chaosx on April 4, 2014 4:54PM
  • xshadowclawzz12
    Chaosx wrote: »
    @xshadowclawzz12 actually the API for nameplates to work is currently disabled, and there are no working addon's for nameplates because of this.

    tamrielfoundry.com/topic/have-a-question/page/2/#post-350838

    But by all means, if you decide to become less lazy and want to provide me with the name of this addon you speak or, or better yet a link to it, that would be just dandy.[/quote
    There is absolutely no need to be rude. And as i've already said, a 12 year old can google that add-on. just search eso nameplate add-on or something like that. What you need to understand is that it's my free will to sit here and help you and that I can choose to help you to the degree I want. I didn't go and search for that add-on because it's something I mean you can easily do yourself and that I don't want to go to that lengt with helping you. The comment I made should easily be enough help for you and it was what I chose to do. Nothing more nothing less. I think it's ungrateful of you not to be happy with the lengt of help I had already offered. Instead you get mad at me for not going further for something that you could easily do yourself. Please, be more mature than this.
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @xshadowclawzz12 I think you misunderstood my post. When i said "if you decide to become less lazy", i was simply using the term you yourself used to describe yourself.
    (I know for sure one exists but I'm to lazy to search up a add-on that can easily be googled by a 12-year old) that makes nameplates me in the game.

    I apologize, I am not trying to be rude, and and no one is contesting your "free will". On the other hand, referring to people as "12 year olds" in a derogatory fashion such as you did in your post, most definitely comes across as rude ;)
  • Hobotron
    Hobotron
    ✭✭
    There used to be nameplates in the game. It was during the beta. They were in big blue block letters way above your head. They were honestly terrible. Not saying that if they added nameplates now they'd be like that, they'd obviously be better. Any way, zos will most likely NOT add nameplates. However, there are add-ons for this that are fully functioning so I see no reason why you guys are complaining here about that you want zos to add nameplates (which they have heard so many times already) instead of just going to download a add-on (I know for sure one exists but I'm to lazy to search up a add-on that can easily be googled by a 12-year old) that makes nameplates me in the game.
    That's all, your questions have been answered.

    Two things:

    1) There is no add-on that can do this, as it's disabled in the API.

    2) He asked for a response from Zenimax, not a random player. Replying on their behalf with incorrect information helps neither party.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    Hobotron wrote: »
    There used to be nameplates in the game. It was during the beta. They were in big blue block letters way above your head. They were honestly terrible. Not saying that if they added nameplates now they'd be like that, they'd obviously be better. Any way, zos will most likely NOT add nameplates. However, there are add-ons for this that are fully functioning so I see no reason why you guys are complaining here about that you want zos to add nameplates (which they have heard so many times already) instead of just going to download a add-on (I know for sure one exists but I'm to lazy to search up a add-on that can easily be googled by a 12-year old) that makes nameplates me in the game.
    That's all, your questions have been answered.

    Two things:

    1) There is no add-on that can do this, as it's disabled in the API.

    2) He asked for a response from Zenimax, not a random player. Replying on their behalf with incorrect information helps neither party.

    Oh sorry that I desided to help even though he asked zos... I didn't know they had changed the add-ons to now allow nameplate add-ons. do you think I meant for the information to be incorrect? Just though i'd be nice and help but jesus christ... you people get mad no matter what
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ still trying to get your attention, and perhaps provide us with some answers with regards to name plates. Would be much appreciated, thank you.
  • Conifur
    Conifur
    Chaosx wrote: »
    Zenimax, please re-enable the ability to show nameplates. I understand there are players who wish the full immersion experience, and do not wish to have them enabled, but if there is an option to enable or disable nameplates, everyone wins!

    If you won't re-enable this UI feature, please enable the nameplate API so add-on developers can create something for your player base.

    No. Elderscrolls doesnt have nameplates. Adding it or a mini map or other WoW features will make this not an elder scrolls game.

    So I get a house with unlimited storage - since that is a feature in ES games.

    It is an MMO now, not a single player game. MMO means you are to interact with others, it would be good to have names.
  • PopeNofun
    PopeNofun
    Soul Shriven
    Signed.

    I understand the "immersion" angle. But, seriously, practically speaking, this is a themepark MMO and no nameplates means people end up just blending into the faceless NPCs.

    That aside,
    -can't see peoples names if theyre funny
    -can't follow group leaders easily in pvp
    -can't distinguish guildmates in zones if theyre not in my pt

    PLEASE put this back soon. I could fix the lack of dmg numbers with an addon at least. THIS is silly.
    Beats-By-Dre (@PopeNofun)
    [N'wahs With Attitude]
    {Ebonheart Pact}{Bloodthorn campaign}
  • Chaosx
    Chaosx
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ Hello again ladies. Still hoping to get your attention, and get an answer to the questions I asked in the main post. I understand you have your hands full squashing bugs and pushing patch notes, but we would really appreciate it if you could take a minute out of your schedule to review this thread.

    Thanks
    Patiently waiting for an answer
    Chaosx
  • Yevon
    Yevon
    ✭✭✭
    I would also LOVE to see nameplates to display titles, name, and guild. Allowing for these nameplates to be enable or disabled should be nice compromise for all but the hardest of heads.
    "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to see this feature, not because I can't play without it, but just for the simple fact it is nice to be able to recognize your friends or guild mates. Being in a large guild and most of the people you don't even know yet, it just helps to see a name and guild tag over them when you run into them. Maybe say hello and get to know the person after you realize this person is in my guild. Right now everyone just looks and feels like an npc in a crowd. It doesn't have to be a large tag, just something we can see or even have a size adjustment in the social settings.
  • Daendur
    Daendur
    ✭✭✭
    I think nameplates contribute to create a community.
    Running around, surrounded by a bunch of unknown strangers is pretty different than running around surrounded by well known people.
This discussion has been closed.