The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

All mail items deleted along with character

• Warfield
    Warfield
    I got a reply, reads as follows:

"Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues after deleting your original character, I know how frustrating this can be. This is an issue we are aware of and one we hope to have solved soon. I bring your ticket to the attention of the relevant department and they will be in contact with you as soon as they can.

I hope this helps, if you have any further issues please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your patience on this matter and continued support :)

I will see you in Tamriel, keep your blades sharp my friend!"
  • Dunwyrd
    Dunwyrd
    Soul Shriven
    I find it a bit of an oversight on behalf of the developers because typically players make a mad rush to jump in game early to reserve names without paying much attention to character creation.

After never playing in Beta, I logged in first time ever this morning and quickly reserved a few names.

There was a problem with zooming in during character creation so when I made my primary - I thought, "It looks good enough..."

I got to level 3 and then logged out and then saw him in the login screen and decided, ya.. he doesn't look good..... DELETE.

I recreated my character the way I wanted (zoom was working this time) and then discovered the pre-order items were gone...

Just a wee bit of oversight as I imagine there's got to be a few thousand people out there deleting characters right at the start simply due to things like name reservation and that zoom bug ....

It happens - I'm sure they'll have a fix for us soon.
  • Biezenw22eb17_ESO
    Moedig wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was probably one of the first to do this, I managed to log in to EU megaserver at about 11AM WEST and proceeded to create a toon, but then realising ESO doesn't auto-capitalise the first letter of your characters name I deleted and re-rolled to correct name (and faction) without thinking- all by about 11:05AM. Fail.

I ended up losing all items, submitted 2 support tickets, one direct for email the other for phone call back, both responded here is the email one:

"Oh dear, we here at the union are very distraught to hear of such a thing. We bet it has to do with Molag bol, and his nefarious villainous crew. Unfortunately, we are not able to do regenerate a lost visitor to Tamerial at this time. But, rest assured that I am passing this up to my high elves with magic far far above those of a lonely mud crab."

I then received a phone call from one of the support guys in America who said that loads of these calls had started to flood in and that they didn't have a way to recover deleted accounts or to re-send the mail out currently. They did say they were working on a solution and creating a list of all accounts affected so they can roll it out to those affected as soon as a suitable solution was found.

This should be account wide like every other MMO, or have a similar /claim function to LOTRO that lets you reclaim deleted bonus/pre-order items. Or even an in-game NPC vendor where you can repurchase the items if lost or deleted. Not exactly a complicated fix.

TL:DR; No solution right now so sit tight, working on a fix and will be rectified ASAP. If you contacted support about it you will be on the list to receive a fix.

you were surely 'brave' (moedig) to undertake all these steps in your post. I'm about to drop out my second request for chat, since the..... waiting period. Also eager to achieve an answer on my send e-mail as well. But i will not be going to phone anytime soon :P

But i still wonder how they are able to fix this. Time will tell i guess, gotta love the "launch madness".
    Edited by Biezenw22eb17_ESO on March 30, 2014 8:41PM
  • Moedig
    Moedig
    you were surely 'brave' (moedig) to undertake all these steps in your previous post.

Hah, I see what you did there :wink:. Launches are always the same, this is actually one of the most successful I've been a part of, this is more of a architectural oversight than a bug really, it's all of OUR fault we have no items, but THEIR fault for having a silly system in the first place.
    Anyone as excited as people with early access on launch day will inevitably never read an in-game auto-generated e-mail with a very small warning in much detail.
  • Conijn
    Conijn
    Dunwyrd wrote: »
    I find it a bit of an oversight on behalf of the developers because typically players make a mad rush to jump in game early to reserve names without paying much attention to character creation.

After never playing in Beta, I logged in first time ever this morning and quickly reserved a few names.

There was a problem with zooming in during character creation so when I made my primary - I thought, "It looks good enough..."

I got to level 3 and then logged out and then saw him in the login screen and decided, ya.. he doesn't look good..... DELETE.

I recreated my character the way I wanted (zoom was working this time) and then discovered the pre-order items were gone...

Just a wee bit of oversight as I imagine there's got to be a few thousand people out there deleting characters right at the start simply due to things like name reservation and that zoom bug ....

It happens - I'm sure they'll have a fix for us soon.

sorry to read a lot of people are effected by this

So are the items bound to the first char you create, even if you logged back out
    without checking the mail?
    or are the items bound to the first char you check the mail with?

the first one i created is still in his cell, now i wanted to remake him but im
    afraid my preorder items will be gone aswell if i deleted him
  • PrissAssigirib16_ESO
    i also deleted a charictor as it was in the wrong faction NOWHERE did it say that these were 1 time things which is STUPID in every other game i have ever played they are sent every time u make a charictor
  • Soneka
    Soneka
    Soul Shriven
    i have same problem here is a shame, i bought an Digital Imperium account, not a character !!! i NEED MY ITENS !
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate this being looked into! I hope the solution is "make vanity pets account wide". Just want to add my voice to that cry!
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Baraz
    Baraz
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is a mistake on the part of ESO and a solution should be found (though the current launch message about this issue is a cool move).

I paid only for the Explorer Pack, so I'm not even preaching for my own wallet/items.
    Edited by Baraz on March 30, 2014 9:30PM
  • JOnEB4EvR
    JOnEB4EvR
    I did this exact same thing! Except I chose the wrong alliance. I really want my vanity stuff! I've already sent a couple emails. I really hope they fix this.
  • snigernissen
    snigernissen
    ✭✭
    Moedig wrote: »
    Shouldn't have been an issue to start, whoever came up with this idea at the devs sprint should be forced to buy us all doughnuts and wear the dunce cap.

THIS !!!!
  • althefonzo
    althefonzo
    Soul Shriven
    This happened to me as well. But i called this morning. the guy i spoke to said he would forward a message to the programming people and i should have my Ritual of Mara and Monkey back soon. he couldn't tell me when "soon" was. but i'm still waiting.
  • Matheren
    Matheren
    I deleted one of my characters, but it wasn't my first one. I still have the beta monkey and Imperial items, but never got the Explorer's Pack stuff.
  • Benjo
    Benjo
    Same here, pretty bumped, didn't have a face slider when creating my first character so I deleted him along with all the explorer pack goodies. I hope they replied to my email and maybe find a fix.
  • Emzz
    Emzz
    Well I deleted my first char but I didn't open mail and redeem any item yet all I seem to have received via mail on my new character was the pet imgakin and pledge of Mara. So i don't know if without redeeming them I've "deleted" them which is unfair tbh since I didn't redeem them In the first place.
  • dbl4k
    dbl4k
    Soul Shriven
    I'm glad I read this. Also wasn't aware from the pre-order offer that these were items you'd only have for one character - that's not a normal convention.

I feel a little misled by this.

Not like trade descriptions act misled, but more like "it feels a bit petty to even mention it but still c'monnnn!" misled. :)

Unless this is just a silly bug or something :D
  • ESO_Maya
    ESO_Maya
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Admin, I attempted to use this website: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask and it has stuck on "submitting" each of the 6 prior times I attempted to use your website. Perhaps you can post a simple email address we can our request to get our stuff restored.
  • Rawblin
    Rawblin
    ✭✭
    I used that exact web address just after 5AM MDT this morning Maya. It went through fine and all. It is now 4:46PM MDT (16:46, Almost 12 hours later) and I still have not even received a response email acknowledging that they heard me.

I have very little faith at this point in time that I am on this "list" everyone keeps mentioning of people waiting for the fix... let alone that this fix is actually coming anytime soon.
  • ESO_Maya
    ESO_Maya
    ✭✭✭
    @rawblin ugh thanks. maybe they'll make some kind of server wide fix. we can hope anyway......
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can the mods sticky this or something so people know its an issue?
  • moondoggy
    moondoggy
    this did not happen to me but i learned it was like this due to being on the pts server. i could totally see where someone who did not learn this from previous experience would get burned and be super mad! i'm sure (they better) customer support can re-send the items to your account. they need to at least copy WoW in that aspect and make sure there is a system in place that will prevent you from deleting a toon if you have mail and/or have bind on account items on said toon!
  • Eligius
    Eligius
    Soul Shriven
    Odd the mail I got with my items CLEARLY STATES "DO NOT DELETE THE HERO THESE ITEMS ARE ON OR THEY WILL BE GONE" maybe you didn't read it through but you really should you spent that much money on it and didn't take a few seconds to clearly read through the terms.

Hell it even tell you to put them into the bank to share them how could you miss that whole instruction in the mail with the items?

Trouble is that's only on one of the emails for the Ritual of Mara thing. Doesn't state it on the others and the email reads as if it is for that one item. It's also the last email on the list, so some folks may not have even gotten to it before deleting their characters - especially the folks who got nailed with the bug that wouldn't let them zoom in on the toon's face during creation.

I'd read that and expressly took my character through to the bank before deleting after depositing that item there. On a whim, I put everything else in there too other than the Coldharbour CE maps, didn't have the room. Of course, after deleting and recreating my character I'd lost the map.

• ESO_Maya
    ESO_Maya
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax: fairly simple solution, spawn a merchant NPC. Index the promotional items. Set permissions to allow the sale of replacement items for 1g, if eligible and no longer in the account inventory. I've seen this done somewhere else, but don't recall which mmo. Thanks for making this a priority item, I know hundreds of your loyal customers will appreciate it!
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DarkKnight wrote: »
    I don't know how they didn't anticipate this.

I too lost an item but it was only the beta monkey pet. I can wait for that. But the fact is every other MMORPG makes these items per character.

No, every other MMO really doesn't Pre-order bonuses are always account wide. Everytime you make a new character, you get these things. This is the first MMO I've played that restricts this content to specific characters. Does it really hurt the balance of the game to make Rings of Mara account wide or get a 1g horse? SMH....

Actually that's what I meant by per character. Every character gets them, not just a single character on an account. You could create and delete a hundred characters a day and every new character would get the items.

I wonder if there's still time for them to change it in ESO?
  • Moedig
    Moedig
    I also mentioned the promotion vendor NPC earlier, I also cannot recall what MMO thus is from, I think most do it though and seems a reasonable logical thing to do.

As you mentioned it isn't a hard fix, dump the NPC in all starter cities and copy pasta the same code with different item Ids that the imperial horse has within the stables. Problem solved!
    Edited by Moedig on March 30, 2014 11:16PM
  • Shailla_Ketra
    Shailla_Ketra
    ✭✭✭
    Luxx wrote: »
    I have the exact same issue. Nowhere in the mail does it specify that they are one time use either.

Actually, if you read the mail with the ring of mara pledge attached, it DOES say that if you delete the character the items will be destroyed and that you must put them in the bank first. It also has a pop-up warning when you sign into the game.

• Moedig
    Moedig
    I have the exact same issue. Nowhere in the mail does it specify that they are one time use either.

Actually, if you read the mail with the ring of mara pledge attached, it DOES say that if you delete the character the items will be destroyed and that you must put them in the bank first. It also has a pop-up warning when you sign into the game.

Pop up warning added AFTER the thousands of people inundated customer support with this issue.

It's a poor design and was obviously going to backfire, hindsight is a mother! But it isn't difficult to fix, for a company that claim to care about their players I will trust they will give us a fix, else they will have a huge number of annoyed customers before the games real release date.

The customer is always right!
  • Datamadness

Pop up wasn't there at 6:27am when I deleted my first PC. And as the screen caps that are linked under this post show, it wasn't on all items.
  • Moedig
    Moedig
    Also, they have now added a massive banner to the forums hah
  • Valn
    Valn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It only says that on the mara pledge message. Not the vanity pets message or explorer packs.

And also the pop up warning seems to have been added AFTER this issue was made aware.