Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Morrowind will soon be given out for free with the 20th anniversary?

TheRimOfTheSky
TheRimOfTheSky
✭✭✭✭
The prologue quests Ascending Doubt and A King’s Retreat both take place in Vvardenfell (Pulk, sareloth grotto, Lady Arabelle's camp at Nund), and since prologues only go to free areas, Vvardenfell will probably be made free DLC like Imperial City.

Considering Tes III: Morrowind turns 20 this May, and the only players who don't have the Chapter are literal veteran players that bought the game before 2018, I can see them releasing it for everyone. Its pretty long overdue. Don't know about the Warden class tho, but hopefully it goes free

Hopefully more prologue quests will explore out-of-bound or unnamed places like Arkngthand, Telasero, and Nchardumz as places we can go inside of, since they have exteriors but are currently blocked off. They already have interiors designed, so it would make Zos' job easier; plus nostalgia factor. There's also a chance Sheogorad will one day be a zone DLC like Zeb Cook talked about, since Vvardenfell is base game.
ON-place-Arkngthand.jpg
ON-place-Telasero.jpg
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I doubt very much that the Warden class will be unlocked, but I guess we'll see. Have you been able to test on an account that doesn't have Morrowind on PTS to see how the experience works? That's weird that a prologue quest would have you go somewhere you might not have access to.
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering Tes III: Morrowind turns 20 this May, and the only players who don't have the Chapter are literal veteran players that bought the game before 2018,

On consoles Alt accounts can play ESO for free, they don't have to buy the game all over again. However they DON'T get access to Morrowind. As such I am hoping you are correct and it releases for free. Then my alt crafters can craft in Vvardenfell just like my normal account!!! :D
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought you were talking about the single player RPG then I remembered... ESO and Skyrim players will never play Morrowind

Edited by DagenHawk on February 7, 2022 11:10PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DagenHawk wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about the single player RPG then I remembered... ESO and Skyrim players will never play Morrowind

Why ever not? I might - I still have all the games available though I can't play Arena (WAY too tiny on my 4k screens) or Daggerfall (in first person only which doesn't agree with the vertigo I deal with on a daily basis). Admittedly, the graphics are not "modern" (well, they were when MW released) and the animations aren't particularly good....
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prologues don't goto free areas,they goto accessible areas without eso+ or buying DLCs.Since Morrowind has been free with basegame for a while,the prologue would be there in a zone most can access.If you have an older account before they added it free with basegame,you're outta luck unless you buy the full game discounted on the old account so they add it,or buy DLC ingame.
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prologues don't goto free areas,they goto accessible areas without eso+ or buying DLCs.Since Morrowind has been free with basegame for a while,the prologue would be there in a zone most can access.If you have an older account before they added it free with basegame,you're outta luck unless you buy the full game discounted on the old account so they add it,or buy DLC ingame.

pretty much what this person said
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this happens, this makes my idea for "sequel chapters" a possibility given that everyone would have Vvardenfell. Excellent opportunity to expand on abandoned heists/sacraments systems using the Morag Tong faction.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Played Morrowind back around the time Oblivion came out (a friend loaned it to me - "hey, check out this awesome game series!").

That said, I tried to go back to it a year or two ago, and I'd forgotten just how lousy old-game user interfaces were. It's pretty painful.
    (is that Skywind project still going? :) )
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want a remaster of TES 3.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any prologue that has gone to an area that wasn't free? Morrowind is still DLC. It's listed under DLC, goes on sale from time to time, etc.

I could see them making the non-Warden version into a freebie
    Edited by spartaxoxo on February 8, 2022 1:52AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Played Morrowind back around the time Oblivion came out (a friend loaned it to me - "hey, check out this awesome game series!").

That said, I tried to go back to it a year or two ago, and I'd forgotten just how lousy old-game user interfaces were. It's pretty painful.
    (is that Skywind project still going? :) )

Yes.... but slowly.

https://tesrskywind.com/
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm playing Morrowind right now (well, not right NOW). The other night after ESO server maintenance started I hopped into my ongoing game and managed to get through Galom Daeus on my still-lowish-level Monk who fights Hand-to-hand, Unarmored, using no potions, poisons, scrolls, or magic during fights-- although he does use magic, just not aggressively. I'm just starting to practice on his Alteration skills so he can start making good use of the Shield spell-- something I never had appreciation for until I started playing a Healer in Arena.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    I just want a remaster of TES 3.
    That will have to wait until Skywind is done. Then Bethesda can repackage all the textures under the "Special Edition" brand and sell it on every platform for the price of a AAA game.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vvardenfell is already included in the base game, if you bought the base game after mid-2018. Players who bought the base game prior to that didn't get Vvardenfell for free, but every new player in the past almost-four years have Vvardenfell as a part of their base game purchase.

By this point, I suspect that the people who don't have it are in the minority, and it would make sense for ZOS to extended the free Vvardenfell to the few old accounts that still don't have it.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are also talking about the single player game in here... TES 3 has to be my favorite TES game. The game is painfully old, the graphics are cringy now, but hot damn that game was hard. People who only played Skyrim would be hopeless in Morrowind. The answers to the puzzles are not literally written on a wall for you! You do not get a compass pointing you to exactly where you need to go!

tsomw_mw_dwemer_puzzle_box.jpg
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we are also talking about the single player game in here... TES 3 has to be my favorite TES game. The game is painfully old, the graphics are cringy now, but hot damn that game was hard. People who only played Skyrim would be hopeless in Morrowind. The answers to the puzzles are not literally written on a wall for you! You do not get a compass pointing you to exactly where you need to go!

tsomw_mw_dwemer_puzzle_box.jpg

I've played TES III many times. It's still find it difficult at times.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one plays Morrowind every other year - great classic, straightforward gameplay and levitation is always fun.

All you need to do, to not *** up the main quest, is to avoid random killing spree.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did report this on the PTS forums and mention it should be free as its free with newer versions of ESO.

We'll see.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • OmniaRR
    OmniaRR
    Is it not automatically included in the base version of the game anyway?
    ...older player so please speak slowly... ;-) - Guild ...still searching ^^
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Morrowind is included in the base game.
    Everyone who buys ESO now gets Morrowind included.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmniaRR wrote: »
    Is it not automatically included in the base version of the game anyway?

Yes it is. For a few years I think. Least it was two years ago when I bought the game.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

I'm playing Morrowind right now (well, not right NOW). The other night after ESO server maintenance started I hopped into my ongoing game and managed to get through Galom Daeus on my still-lowish-level Monk who fights Hand-to-hand, Unarmored, using no potions, poisons, scrolls, or magic during fights-- although he does use magic, just not aggressively. I'm just starting to practice on his Alteration skills so he can start making good use of the Shield spell-- something I never had appreciation for until I started playing a Healer in Arena.

@SeaGtGruff ; Make a game save. Then go have tremendously overpowered fun with uber alchemy. You *have to* save your game if you want to do this because it can easily screw everything up. Its incredibly easy to get potions that will last for hundreds of hours, boomerang effects that can eventually kill you, and getting revenge on cliffracers with levitation and fire or lightning shield. You'll get a whole new appreciation for bug zappers. After you have fun, you can go back to your normal save and keep playing.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morrowind is included in the base game.
    Everyone who buys ESO now gets Morrowind included.

Yep.

The question is how many people bought ESO before MW was included, but haven't gotten it some other way (ESO+, chapter purchase, etc). I imagine it's a small group, but I can't know for sure.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on February 9, 2022 1:27PM
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be a nice gesture to unlock it for legacy players.

As would including Summerset in the base game now that it's been several chapters released since they bundled Morrowind with new purchases.
    PC NA
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I played it for as long as XBox360 supported it, even though it crashed every 30 minutes, I could only have two save files and the quest journal pre-expansions was in chronological order, so I kept loosing track of what I had done already.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone that has purchased every chapter, I wish they would just make the oldest free every year. That way we could get prologue quests, companion quests, etc in these zones instead of just putting them in the dated vanilla zones. They bundle them with the latest chapter every year anyway, but that does not guarantee everyone has them. This way they could get more use out of these visually wonderful zones.
    Edited by Fata1moose on February 9, 2022 3:22PM
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was right 😈

It was just for eso's 8th anniversary rather than tes 3's 20th
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is like getting broccoli with a side of brussels sprouts for your Birthday meal.
  • PrinceDamien
    PrinceDamien
    ✭✭✭✭
    The article mentioned that they wanted to make sure that everyone can take part of High isles Prologue, which seems to take part in Morrowind.

Not sure if it was planned with the 20th anniversary or not.
    But if it was, kudos.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is like getting broccoli with a side of brussels sprouts for your Birthday meal.

Depending on how those two things are prepared, that could be an awesome birthday meal!
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!