The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good stuff.
  • Nevidyra
    Nevidyra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Matt. This is a good step in the right direction for communication. Please keep the community updated as you guys make progress or run into roadblocks-- that's all we ask for, thank you!
    -PC/NA/AD-
    CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
    Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
    Gryphon Heart [✅]
    Godslayer [WIP]
    Dawnbringer [N/A]

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update!

I do genuinely mean that. I remember how the Groupfinder rework went (i.e. months over schedule and some high profile failures before it succeeded), so my expectations are tempered accordingly.

If it were easy, your team would've fixed it already. That's a compliment.

I would like to point out that the circumstances of releasing this update would be less explosive if we'd been getting smaller Official updates, instead of hints on Rich's personal stream.

That's not knocking his stream. I'd really rather he didn't get muzzled over this incident. Rather, if a bit of gameplay development is official enough that he can talk about it in a personal capacity, it really ought to be official enough to warrant some sort of update to the playerbase in addition to getting to talk about it on his personal stream.

More official communication - even if it's unsatisfying "we're really working on it, we swear" answers to the playerbase - is better than less and leaving us in the dark until something explodes and now we find out what's going on as part of damage control.

It was well said: "It’s long past time to give everyone an update on where we are with PvP improvements."

Had Rich's hints on stream back in December that this was coming been followed up with this announcement a couple days later, this whole kerfuffle would be going down much more positively for him and ZOS.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I would have expected this rewrite to have been ongoing, not just started now. This is obvious and ongoing technical debt. I know no one likes to deal with it because it isn't the new shiny but technical debt needs to be addressed or we get what's happening in cyrodil.

That being said, thank you for updating us. I appreciate the effort and I hope communication continues in this vein.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All my hopes and dreams of Naval combat Sunk.

Not excited for more un chalenging PvE that has no impact on the game or my character.

Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for finally bringing that information up "officially" without any cryptic stuff from private streams etc. It should've been made available at the very least before new world release to mitigate some damage but here we are now, with only hope for the distant future to bring some grace back to eso.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, in order to give everyone a good play experience in high-intensity situations like PvP and Trials, we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it. This should dramatically increase server performance

Fantastic news.
  • Marwka
    Marwka
    Soul Shriven
    i would criticise some stuff about this post but im too insecure being called a crybaby
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    It's comforting to see it laid out that it's known performance is poor and that you're willing to rebuild.

The prospect of special weekend events is nice - please keep dangling that carrot at what's left of the pvp community so they can ride out the next year.

There it is to all the haters too - pvp is here to stay for the foreseeable future, so is Cyrodiil :):):)
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) (for example, potentially special rulesets or weekend events), (...)
    2) but we won’t be adding any new features to PvP until the work mentioned above is complete(...).
    0) As a PvE player, I do hope my mates that enjoy slaughtering each other will be pleased.
    1) weekend events - don't forget Bandaari cats with some random cooking-recipe-specific repeatable quest! :P Now, being more serious, if -IF- you do that, I am firmly convinced the PvP community will love it
    2) at the very least, you've given us a... no, *the* reason to patiently wait.

Good job ZOS
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    Honestly I would have expected this rewrite to have been ongoing, not just started now. This is obvious and ongoing technical debt. I know no one likes to deal with it because it isn't the new shiny but technical debt needs to be addressed or we get what's happening in cyrodil.

That being said, thank you for updating us. I appreciate the effort and I hope communication continues in this vein.

Rich first started talking about this months ago. As i see it... The official message does not herald the start of work, but the commitment to finish it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance of separating pvp from pve in the future?
    Many skills would be amazing to use on stam (new morphs) and other classes but can't because of pvp balance.

That being said, i wish all the eso team good luck and a good year, Thanks for giving us a better game in the future and keeping the current one great.
    Edited by francesinhalover on January 12, 2022 7:18PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • atherusmora
    atherusmora
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update!
    (Pet)Magsorc Main
    PS4 NA
    PvX
    Long Live the Queen!!!
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for finally bringing that information up "officially" without any cryptic stuff from private streams etc. It should've been made available at the very least before new world release to mitigate some damage but here we are now, with only hope for the distant future to bring some grace back to eso.

The damage was done when people literally couldn't play in the slide show. It's not like there is a choice when it does not run. The good thing about NW is that it has kept many teams together, who otherwise would have scattered to the winds awhile ago.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The first good news I've heard about the game in a long time. Looking forward to seeing the fruits of the team's labor; thank you for the update!
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

This kind of communication is good and seems to be what players want.
    Its good to hear what the plans actually are, and not just another "We're working on it" with no info.
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all due respect for the update; this feels like you did "a year of performance" to string us along a year; then "performance testing" that drug out to nothing over the course of another year and now "hey we got a plan. Just hang in another year?" It's been months since the test, and you are starting now? I'm sorry but I'm sceptical even though I appreciate breaking silence as opposed to having a spouse insult us.
  • Bowmanganie
    Bowmanganie
    ✭✭
    Glad you have continually worked on it, testing and trying everything possible before rewriting basic foundational code of the game. I do not PvP all that much, and never really have any issues that I do not have in any other multiplayer game so I never know what all the hub bub is about. Having weekend events or special rules campaigns sound interesting. It has to be hard because of all the plaforms and differences in those platforms. PC just by itself would be a nightmare I suspect. Thanks for the notice Matt. I will be here most like until this game actually does die, but the rumors of its death has been extremely exaggerated.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update!

I'm curious though if this huge architecture rework will affect the addition of new game systems, as you already slowed down on that front last year? Well, I guess we'll know more on the 27th.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for this.

Now, can we please have regular, official updates on what’s been happening? It doesn’t have to be every month or long explanation, just quarterly official update will be good.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankyou for the comunication, more of this going forward please :)
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly was expecting going into this thread to see hateful comments, bating and general toxicity i usually see. but i am surprised i didn't, gg ESO forums.

But this is a good update, as always clear and honest communication and the best thing is to not rush it, things like this take time and i can imagine one slip up could really, REALLY badly mess stuff up, Take your time, don't rush it. It will all be worth it ZOS. <3
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this. Something like this was communicated on a different platform but it's awesome that it's also on the forums here too in an official manner especially with more information.

Thank you for taking the time to get it right.
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great update. The timing is a bit suspect, but this is exactly the type of communication we have been asking for. Open and honest communication.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Words. What are words for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ

I'm showing my age big time by linking this video, but it fits the situation....on both sides now ironically. The devs have not been listening to us for years, and now the situation is so festered that the player base can't reasonably have faith in the company and believe the words in a statement they put out.

I'm really glad to finally see at least a cursory effort at PR and dealing with this situation. But lets be clear about what this statement says.

It says that in the fourth quarter of year four of "we're working on it", they finally figured out what the issue is and developed a course of action. And that players who have been enduring this will finally be able to expect some improvement near or after the end of year five of "we're working on it".

The companies timeline and expectations of what customers should fairly endure is fundamentally disrespectful to the customer.
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After removing a couple of posts, we would like to remind everyone to keep the discussion on the original topic of the thread. Derailing the discussion into matters discussed in other threads is non-constructive, as is Bashing. Moving forward, we would like to remind everyone to keep the conversation respectful and within the Community Rules.
    Staff Post
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So <...> we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it.

Oh dark moons.
    giphy.gif

PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is great news! Re-writing the code will be a huge undertaking, but it will definitely be the best thing in the long run for the performance of the game.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope im wrong, I WISH im wrong but this post just reads like corporate damage control.

Server are and have been the issue for a long time, yet the client was prioritized?
    FPS issues could have been solved by lowering the graphics in big fights, servers we have no way to solve ourselves.
    And 2 years after the year of performance you are "starting work on it right now"

Starting to work on it now. It wont be done for atleast another year.

So we have an excuse for yet another year with zero PvP content.

Some other small scale pvp content like arenas or something to keep players happy was no option?
    Its the same excuse over and over again, no cyro content cause it could make lag worse, no other pvp content so we dont split the player base. Without content the player base keeps shrinking...

-> So you are basically "working on it" for another year. Dont expect any PvP content.