The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO PvP Update [Updated June 2022]

• Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    So should all PvPers cancel subs for the foreseeable next 2 years or so? This announcement tells me I shouldn't get my hopes high for an unacceptable amount of time. With the state of PvP now, it really means I'm expected to accept being unable to play for years more.

Software development is not that complicated as you make it sound. Maybe this statement would work with a clueless upper management, but certainly not with a community already waiting for years for significant fixes.

IMHO your priority should be this, and only this. Hire more people if you need to. Everything else is irrelevant.

This to me is only PR damage control.

[snip] Also, keep in mind the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of players care more about PVE and questing, the PVP community is a significant minority in the game. Sure some players do both, but if you've been playing ESO for as many years as I have- you'd know what I say is true. [snip]

[Edited for Baiting]

You are plainly wrong. Every PvP player has done the vast majority if not all of the PvE in the game. Most PvP players spend far more on the game than a casual PvE player does. PvP is PvE+ a ton more time and money investment is how it works out in the real world.

Yup, many of us play a bit of everything.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s long past time to give everyone an update on where we are with PvP improvements. As many of you know, we did a series of tests over the last year to give us more data. These tests were successful and gave us the information we needed. We now have a plan going forward - but heads up: it is going to take some time.

In short – just like we did for the client a year or so back when we introduced multithreaded rendering to increase client frame rates – we are going to rearchitect our server. The version of ESO in 2022 is many magnitudes larger and more complex than the ESO that launched in 2014. So, in order to give everyone a good play experience in high-intensity situations like PvP and Trials, we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it. This should dramatically increase server performance, but obviously we will need to test and evaluate as we go along.

We’ve been planning this for the last quarter and we’re starting work on it right now. But, as you can imagine, changing the fundamentals of a huge live game such as ESO is a delicate and multi-stepped process, so expect this to take up much of 2022. Much of the early work is going to happen behind the scenes and we are definitely not going to rush it. A re-architecture of this magnitude will require the entire game to be re-tested and evaluated, as this particular code is the foundation on which the game is built. It will take tons of QA and testing time as well, and I’m sure that when the time comes, we’ll do as large a test as we can on the PTS.

In the meantime, we’ll consider additional ways to keep Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds interesting and exciting (for example, potentially special rulesets or weekend events) and will continue to work on bug fixes affecting combat, but we won’t be adding any new features to PvP until the work mentioned above is complete. Doing so would not only prolong the fixes we want to implement but would also exacerbate the issue of poor performance.

We completely understand the frustration many of you are feeling, especially with lack of information about our PvP plans. This was a huge decision to make and we needed to make sure we had exhausted all other possibilities before announcing this. Thanks for bearing with us, and we will give you periodic updates about the re-architecture progress over the course of the year.

Why wasn't this posted in the PvP forums? Why is ANY information game related being posted on social media and not on this forum first? These things really do need to be dealt with more logically and consistently for people to have confidence in ya'll.

@ZOS_MattFiror
    Edited by AJones43865 on February 4, 2022 4:52PM
  • GlorphNoldorin
    GlorphNoldorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the devs and management appreciated how appallingly bad the game runs in heavy volume periods they would have done a lot more than false promises over the many years in cyrodil pvp.

Why would any promises of future improvements have any worth than the many unfulfilled ones so far?

A consistent history of talk and no action.....report card, D minus.
  • demonology89
    demonology89
    ✭✭✭
    I think a monthly update is the least that can be done for the PvP community at this point. I hate after more than 3 years we're still left begging for scraps.
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as the thread is labeled "ESO PvP Update - January 2022", I assume this is a monthly thing (and it should be). Now would be a good time for February update.

Also, was there any official or unofficial apology/explanation regarding that "incident"?
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Knockmaker wrote: »
    Also, was there any official or unofficial apology/explanation regarding that "incident"?
    Do you mean THIS? --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/588031/update-on-recent-action-against-some-eso-accounts/p1
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Knockmaker wrote: »
    Do you mean THIS? --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/588031/update-on-recent-action-against-some-eso-accounts/p1

No, I meant the stream thing.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/595364/pvpers-how-does-this-make-you-feel/p1
    Edited by Knockmaker on February 12, 2022 6:57AM
  • ButternutJam
    ButternutJam
    ✭✭
    Its has been 1month since slashlurk AKA rich lambert has been active on twitch since the “mom has her input on pvp on eso”. [snip] shall there be a new saga lets tune into this thread for more.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 18, 2022 7:35PM
  • madrab73
    madrab73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s long past time to give everyone an update on where we are with PvP improvements. As many of you know, we did a series of tests over the last year to give us more data. These tests were successful and gave us the information we needed. We now have a plan going forward - but heads up: it is going to take some time.

In short – just like we did for the client a year or so back when we introduced multithreaded rendering to increase client frame rates – we are going to rearchitect our server. The version of ESO in 2022 is many magnitudes larger and more complex than the ESO that launched in 2014. So, in order to give everyone a good play experience in high-intensity situations like PvP and Trials, we need to essentially rewrite some of the foundational server code to account for it. This should dramatically increase server performance, but obviously we will need to test and evaluate as we go along.

We’ve been planning this for the last quarter and we’re starting work on it right now. But, as you can imagine, changing the fundamentals of a huge live game such as ESO is a delicate and multi-stepped process, so expect this to take up much of 2022. Much of the early work is going to happen behind the scenes and we are definitely not going to rush it. A re-architecture of this magnitude will require the entire game to be re-tested and evaluated, as this particular code is the foundation on which the game is built. It will take tons of QA and testing time as well, and I’m sure that when the time comes, we’ll do as large a test as we can on the PTS.

In the meantime, we’ll consider additional ways to keep Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds interesting and exciting (for example, potentially special rulesets or weekend events) and will continue to work on bug fixes affecting combat, but we won’t be adding any new features to PvP until the work mentioned above is complete. Doing so would not only prolong the fixes we want to implement but would also exacerbate the issue of poor performance.

We completely understand the frustration many of you are feeling, especially with lack of information about our PvP plans. This was a huge decision to make and we needed to make sure we had exhausted all other possibilities before announcing this. Thanks for bearing with us, and we will give you periodic updates about the re-architecture progress over the course of the year.

Why wasn't this posted in the PvP forums? Why is ANY information game related being posted on social media and not on this forum first? These things really do need to be dealt with more logically and consistently for people to have confidence in ya'll.

@ZOS_MattFiror

Plus over a month since this was posted and no further update with lots of frivolous work being done on card games and skills adjustments which nobody asked for.

Can we have an update on the work completed so far please?
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    madrab73 wrote: »

@ZOS_MattFiror

Plus over a month since this was posted and no further update with lots of frivolous work being done on card games and skills adjustments which nobody asked for.

Can we have an update on the work completed so far please?

Zero work on it probably, as usual. Been crashing like crazy/couldn't swap weapons today exactly in key moments in Cyro.
    Edited by BlossomDead on February 13, 2022 11:44PM
  • Dayhjawk
    Dayhjawk
    ✭✭✭
    My issue with pvp is the lack of choice.... There is Cydrill, Battleground, IC, but with BGs there is a lack of choice. I can't choose which BGs I enjoy and want to engage in. It's que into random and pray I get what I want to engage in. I've never had this issue in other games, WOW, etc. I had a choice in which pvp I wanted to engage in.

Battlegrounds needs to be split up, so those that prefer certain types of PvP/BGs can have a choice. If I want to do chaosball, let me que for chaosball, if I prefer relic, let me que for relic. Leave the random que there, that's fine, but at least allow me to choice to CHOOSE which pvp content I want to engage in.
  • The_kruguers
    The_kruguers
    ✭✭
    For real now let’s be honest. First of all thank you for the feedback but I can only read excuses and not actions being taken. It’s not a free to play game, it doesn’t matter what it takes for you to put up a good performance in this game. At this point, after years of bad performance, it’s just ridiculous right now.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    too funny, I'm a knicks fan too...yeah, things will be better next season seems to be a consistent refrain from two keen interests I have...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn't hear about what initiated this thread...doesn't really change the situation though...

read through the first few pages of posts though, interesting stuff...

there's a lot of fairly sharp folks who play eso - the fact many of us still enjoy and engage with eso pvp fairly consistently is telling...

but, yeah - hearing the same management promises of improved pvp game performance over the course of years has most certainly eroded a good bit of faith in any actual cyrodiil game performance enhancements ever taking place...

I don't know, it's definitely nothing personal against anyone associated with managing or technically supporting the game - it's just, fool me once, shame on you, fool me like 10 or 12 times, and well - credibility erodes...

regarding my long term optimism for positive performance change - I will believe in it when I finally see it...

while we're talking pvp:
    - get rid of the hammer
    - fix low pop AP bonus
    - revert the dang cyrodiil ayleid well situation, what in the world ever motivated anyone associated with the pvp team to think that ever needed "fixing"

honestly, the only real thing I've noticed that's improved in cyrodiil for a while now is that keep walls automatically improve themselves faster after being flagged...

if you've been following this game for a while, you know exactly why that is too...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_GinaBruno

Hi Matt, Hi Gina,

Is it possible for you guys to give us a progress update? Monthly? Quarterly? Perhaps with or around the time of each DLC/Chapter release throughout the year?

Even if it isn't a lot to report. Continued communication on the project will really help a lot with community morale.

Also, is there now a targeted timeline for completion? You said this will take up much of 2022. Can we expect completion to go with any game updates in Q3/Q4?

Please, please, please, keep us informed! Even if the update is full of technical detail, stale, or of little progress, I promise you, it will go a long way.

Thank you!
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror @ZOS_GinaBruno

Hi Matt, Hi Gina,

Is it possible for you guys to give us a progress update? Monthly? Quarterly? Perhaps with or around the time of each DLC/Chapter release throughout the year?

Even if it isn't a lot to report. Continued communication on the project will really help a lot with community morale.

Also, is there now a targeted timeline for completion? You said this will take up much of 2022. Can we expect completion to go with any game updates in Q3/Q4?

Please, please, please, keep us informed! Even if the update is full of technical detail, stale, or of little progress, I promise you, it will go a long way.

Thank you!

I'm with you on this, please give us updates. This stuff is not boring to many of us. We are very interested in the technical aspect of things and would love updates. A video update with devs involved would be great on a regular basis, and tell them to feel free to be as technical and complex in their jargon , if it makes it comfortable for them. Again, please do this! Many players actually have tech and code competency and would very much appreciate such updates. This would also be very helpful and encouraging to new players and long time players who want reasons to "stick around" and stay on ESO
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have a update after the Midyear Mayhem.
    I believe that everyone concerned has the right to know about the time window we have before us regarding the updates to the server/architecture.

I hope to see a glimpse of light in the next week or so.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on February 26, 2022 5:35PM
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    S0Z0H wrote: »

I'm with you on this, please give us updates. This stuff is not boring to many of us. We are very interested in the technical aspect of things and would love updates. A video update with devs involved would be great on a regular basis, and tell them to feel free to be as technical and complex in their jargon , if it makes it comfortable for them. Again, please do this! Many players actually have tech and code competency and would very much appreciate such updates. This would also be very helpful and encouraging to new players and long time players who want reasons to "stick around" and stay on ESO
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    I believe that everyone concerned has the right to know about the time window we have before us regarding the updates to the server/architecture.

I'm guessing based on the reduction in extra/temporary campaigns for mayhem this time around, the coming update and it's combat changes and/or lack of changes based on multiple pages of resoundingly negative feedback, and the lack of any further response to this thread, or any of the "official" feedback threads .... This was as many content folks had assumed: Just a post to try to put out the fire that had occurred.

It's becoming a popular opinion that there are no efforts to complete the proposed re-architecture project, or the project simply doesn't exist. The fact is, they're now cannibalizing data, character data, and basically their own game's space in order to keep putting out content. A large component of which, no one asked for. (Card game.)

So you've got all this going on. The timing of this original post, which was clearly a response to the issue that came to a pretty embarrassing head at the time, and then zero follow up for what has now been months.

Hope's springs are diminishing. Starting to feel 'took' by a used car salesman.
    Edited by McTaterskins on February 28, 2022 5:49PM
  • atherusmora
    atherusmora
    ✭✭✭

Youyouz06 wrote: »

I'm guessing based on the reduction in extra/temporary campaigns for mayhem this time around, the coming update and it's combat changes and/or lack of changes based on multiple pages of resoundingly negative feedback, and the lack of any further response to this thread, or any of the "official" feedback threads .... This was as many content folks had assumed: Just a post to try to put out the fire that had occurred.

It's becoming a popular opinion that there are no efforts to complete the proposed re-architecture project, or the project simply doesn't exist. The fact is, they're now cannibalizing data, character data, and basically their own game's space in order to keep putting out content. A large component of which, no one asked for. (Card game.)

So you've got all this going on. The timing of this original post, which was clearly a response to the issue that came to a pretty embarrassing head at the time, and then zero follow up for what has now been months.

Hope's springs are diminishing. Starting to feel 'took' by a used car salesman.

Come to Elden Ring. There is refuge for all of Nirn’s children. All jokes aside, I am struggling to bother logging in anymore. The performance in Cyrodiil and abroad is really bad. Too many bugs to report at this point.
    (Pet)Magsorc Main
    PS4 NA
    PvX
    Long Live the Queen!!!
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭

All jokes aside, I am struggling to bother logging in anymore. The performance in Cyrodiil and abroad is really bad. Too many bugs to report at this point.

Quoted and bolded.

It isn't just PvP anymore. The whole game's performance is on a decline.

To your other non quoted point - Yeah I've been looking at it. Recently lost a majority of ESO friends to ER now. It looks phenomenal. I play ESO with the GF though as it was/is her first game like this. The combat system is/was simple enough for her to at least participate in most game aspects, and she's into housing and what not. She's also been rounding the learning curve in PvP and Vet PvE, so it'd be a shame to move on. At some point though, I guess myself and many others are going to have to make a decision as to whether or not we're going to die on the ESO hill.
    Edited by McTaterskins on February 28, 2022 7:47PM
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All jokes aside, I am struggling to bother logging in anymore. The performance in Cyrodiil and abroad is really bad. Too many bugs to report at this point.

Quoted and bolded.

To your other non quoted point - Yeah I've been looking at it. Recently lost a majority of ESO friends to ER now. It looks phenomenal. I play ESO with the GF though as it was/is her first game like this. The combat system is/was simple enough for her to at least participate in most game aspects, and she's into housing and what not. She's also been rounding the learning curve in PvP and Vet PvE, so it'd be a shame to move on. At some point though, I guess myself and many others are going to have to make a decision as to whether or not we're going to die on the ESO hill.

The choice may be made for you when they drop the next chapter. I have severe doubts about ESO's current infrastructure even being able to handle it.

PVPers put up with abysmal performance, because you can still have fun and it generally affects everyone somewhat equally. Having 2-3 second skill delays (or complete skill drops) while fighting PVE, is a whole other story. That easy trek through Sunspire, isn't so easy when heals don't fire, DPS is cut 60% or more and stuff just isn't happening when it should have. Great, we got the debuff to land on the boss, but then the DPS couldn't fire off any skills because they lagged out... so opps. Never mind half the group being disconnected mid-fight, that is a whole other level of fun!
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Quoted and bolded.

The choice may be made for you when they drop the next chapter. I have severe doubts about ESO's current infrastructure even being able to handle it.

PVPers put up with abysmal performance, because you can still have fun and it generally affects everyone somewhat equally. Having 2-3 second skill delays (or complete skill drops) while fighting PVE, is a whole other story. That easy trek through Sunspire, isn't so easy when heals don't fire, DPS is cut 60% or more and stuff just isn't happening when it should have. Great, we got the debuff to land on the boss, but then the DPS couldn't fire off any skills because they lagged out... so opps. Never mind half the group being disconnected mid-fight, that is a whole other level of fun!

Ya and playing at peak hours effects this too. We were in HoF and all 12 of us were disconnecting. And this was on the weekend and during an event , it was crazy
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Ya and playing at peak hours effects this too. We were in HoF and all 12 of us were disconnecting. And this was on the weekend and during an event , it was crazy

Total agreement. Have experienced the same issues.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror

You gave us promises in January, it is now March, the silence is deafening.

Whilst I'm not expecting the work to be done it feels like you made your statement to deflect attention to "Wifegate" as nothing has been heard since.

We've been promised special PvP events and other than the normal MidYear Mayhem in February there has been nothing. So nothing over and above what we would normally have had.

We need an update. How is the work progressing? You don't need to go into specifics but assuming you knew what the issue was has the coding been updated? Is it going through a testing process? And I realise testing will identify new issues with the new code so I'm not thinking the first iteration of coding changes is the solution.

Or are you still working on the first iteration?

We need an update. We need some of these special events we were promised.

It's starting to feel like a Zos empty promise article once more. Whoever is in charge needs to get a handle on this and actually communicate with us, your players, many have invested years into the game and large amounts of money and we get the normal radio silence.

At the moment the game is hemorrhaging players, if you want to reverse that then some simple communication will help. Let players know what's going on, just for once, you all need to get your heads out of the clouds, you need to stop being isolated and engage with the players. And I don't mean debacles such as the post launch event, I mean engagement by competent employees who can string two words together and form a sentence without embarrassing your company.

We care about the game? You say you do - prove it.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    @ZOS_MattFiror

Whilst I'm not expecting the work to be done it feels like you made your statement to deflect attention to "Wifegate" as nothing has been heard since.

We've been promised special PvP events and other than the normal MidYear Mayhem in February there has been nothing. So nothing over and above what we would normally have had.

We need an update. How is the work progressing? You don't need to go into specifics but assuming you knew what the issue was has the coding been updated? Is it going through a testing process? And I realise testing will identify new issues with the new code so I'm not thinking the first iteration of coding changes is the solution.

It's starting to feel like a Zos empty promise article once more. Whoever is in charge needs to get a handle on this and actually communicate with us, your players, many have invested years into the game and large amounts of money and we get the normal radio silence.

At the moment the game is hemorrhaging players, if you want to reverse that then some simple communication will help. Let players know what's going on, just for once, you all need to get your heads out of the clouds, you need to stop being isolated and engage with the players. And I don't mean debacles such as the post launch event, I mean engagement by competent employees who can string two words together and form a sentence without embarrassing your company.

Good post. Very very good post.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @ZOS_Kevin ,
    would it be possible to see if there is an update for us considering the performance or the "additional ways to keep Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds interesting and exciting"?
    Thank you!
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hafgood wrote: »
    @ZOS_MattFiror

He said that any changes will be at last quarter of the year so dont expect much of it.. Probably another year of false promises
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at the very least, please IMMEDIATELY fix the Battleground queues so that those of us who queue for RANDOM get RANDOM - that is 20% chance of each of the five modes, not 99.9% chance of Deathmatch because the queue is combined with the Deathmatch queues so 11 Randoms from the Random queue and 1 Deathmatch from the Deathmatch queue mean automatic Deathmatch.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    Well, at the very least, please IMMEDIATELY fix the Battleground queues so that those of us who queue for RANDOM get RANDOM - that is 20% chance of each of the five modes, not 99.9% chance of Deathmatch because the queue is combined with the Deathmatch queues so 11 Randoms from the Random queue and 1 Deathmatch from the Deathmatch queue mean automatic Deathmatch.

That is supposed to be in tomorrow's patch so BGs will go back to desthmatch-but-with-flags, deathmatch-but-with-relics, and deathmatch-but-with-balls once more. As the deathmatch queue is being removed at the same time.