Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not one word mentioning difficulty. I don't believe this is what they are talking about. I sure hope it's not because I believe it will drive off a LOT of players.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not one word mentioning difficulty. I don't believe this is what they are talking about. I sure hope it's not because I believe it will drive off a LOT of players.

That would give it away though. They won't tell us what it truly is until the chapter reveal.

What is your guess based on those hints as to what it might be?
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it could be things like Challenge Banners for story bossess and that the fights could be repeatable. Or even a toggle for the player to make the fights more difficult just for them. I seriously doubt they will split the playerbase with a separate veteran overland.

I HOPE it's something like Hide Shoulders.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 12, 2022 11:48PM
    PCNA
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harder overland is the most requested feature. I could see two separate instances, one veteran and one story mode. Story quests could be repeatable as well based on the info from the letter. I would love to redo all the old quests on my original character from early access.
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    Harder overland is the most requested feature. I could see two separate instances, one veteran and one story mode. Story quests could be repeatable as well based on the info from the letter. I would love to redo all the old quests on my original character from early access.

I want 2014 doshia back.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harder overland is the most requested feature.

Hide shoulders is the most requested feature.
    PCNA
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't really read all 140 pages on the thread, but I was wondering: Are players asking for vet overland prepared to spend a lot more time farming mats due to harder trash fights? How do they plan to deal with that?

That was my first thought.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    I haven't really read all 140 pages on the thread, but I was wondering: Are players asking for vet overland prepared to spend a lot more time farming mats due to harder trash fights? How do they plan to deal with that?

Farm in normal mode, enjoy a challenge in vet mode, same as dungeon farming.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Farm in normal mode, enjoy a challenge in vet mode, same as dungeon farming.

That could work. I'd always thought just vet mode for quest bosses would be good, but I guess if there could be a vet mode for delves/public dungeons, that would might make them fun again.
    Edited by BretonMage on December 13, 2022 6:34AM
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems I must’ve missed the pinned topic and constant barrage of new threads for hiding shoulders.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the big reveal is harder overland difficulty, I hope they will make it a toggle, kind of like we have for normal and vet dungeons. Therefore it would be optional, and everyone would be happy.
  • xericdx
    xericdx
    ✭✭✭
    Proposals to accomodate the various concerns have been discussed several times, the one I personally prefer is a option that affect the players, instead of the zone, so that:

- Only affects those who wants the extra challenge but not others (i.e. toggable option for the player, affecting his/her stats)
    - Rewards for this can be scaled so it does not "punish" the players for the extra challenge/time required to go through content, but neither are too high that make others who do not feel they "need" it
    - It is not as resource intensive or "community splitting" like creating separate instances, and can be scaled with more options than just a "normal VS veteran"
    - Should not just make enemies damage sponges (ie. lowering attack power), but mostly focus on increasing damage received.
    - Can be Lore-friendly (some challenge proposed by one of the Gods)

It does not solve all (e.g. basic enemies will still have basic and not particularly interesting mechanics), but at least is an easy way to increase a bit the interest of going through quests without having to go naked (boring, unrewarding) or just feeling that nothing is a threat, and I can watch a movie will going through fights.
    Characters
    Primo Aldouine (MagSorc), AD
    Kro'zuc Primo (StamDK), AD
    Primo Leyla, MagDK, DC
    Primo Salazar (MagPlar), AD
    Leyla Softpawn (StamBade), AD
    Shaz Primo (MagBlade), AD
    Marcus Primo (MagDen), EP
    Elonthor Primo (StamDen), AD
    The Red, MagNecro, AD

You like housing?! We have the place for you: Tamriel Homes Guild! Contact me for info (in-game ID @xericdx) or visit our website https://tamrielhomes.com/
    PC EU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xericdx wrote: »
    - It is not as resource intensive or "community splitting" like creating separate instances, and can be scaled with more options than just a "normal VS veteran"

I'd worry about that, yes. I'm hoping that any new system will not result in a lower population. Plus I like that currently we have a diverse mix of high and low level players, all questing together in the same place.
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really hoping it's vet overland content tbh. Would be awesome to have the choice and no one really should be against having the choice, those who enjoy being challenged a bit more get a more engaging world while nothing would change for those who just wish to relax and enjoy the story. Both playstyles are valid and should be accommodated.
    Edited by corrosivechains on December 13, 2022 11:38AM
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xericdx wrote: »

I'd worry about that, yes. I'm hoping that any new system will not result in a lower population. Plus I like that currently we have a diverse mix of high and low level players, all questing together in the same place.

People willing to quest "as is" would just do so on current difficulty, without forcing just about everyone to this experience. If people just hanging around doesn't mean they enjoy the same exact experience.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... do you really think ZOS will go for "optional" harder overland? That's so far not been my experience with their methods....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was intrigued why this thread was getting pulled to page 1 so often, especially after the letter and wanted to chime in again.
    cptscotty wrote: »
    We talk about how great quests are but how can a quest be great if there is all this build up for some final showdown that lasts mere seconds?

The main story bosses in the past few chapters and DLCs all have phases where they are invulnerable and the player needs to figure out the mechanics and what they need to accomplish so they will be vulnerable again. These fights can take several minutes, not mere seconds. A lot of the base game bosses don't have these phases and are quicker to kill but they still take more than just a couple of seconds for most players.

spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Those of us with a lot of power simply aren't getting the same story experience as new players.

If a character progresses and becomes more powerful their experience will be different from a new player. But that doesn't mean that the world now needs to adjust to them.

To this part in particular, hasn't the 'puzzle' been, Kill trash mobs>stand in circle>hit synergy key>poke boss (repeat 3 times) for the last few years?
    20 million accounts. How many are bots, how many were made as alt accounts and how many were made on free to play weekends and are left unused? And need to ask how many have been inactive for years, like 5+?

How many are end game players who want a veteran overland?

Regardless, @spartaxoxo is right that the ones asking for a change are the ones that needs to convince those who have the ability to make the change, not the other way around.

I still believe it would be completely unfair to the playerbase as a whole to have the entire base game altered to fit the wants of one playstyle.

Was the card game unfair to people who never play it? Were companions unfair to people who never use them or can't use them? Or is unfair instead having years of nothing like the pvp'ers have primarly faced, or being told 'if you want content you enjoy go back to the dungeons and trials you've lived in for the past several years.' Giving players another option to enjoy the world of Tamriel is a significant thing. I came to ESO because of the world alone, but I can't enjoy it because even world ending threats are nothing. If it's unfair for ZOS to give some time to us, so we can enjoy the world again, then it is equally unfair to keep brushing us off and acting as though we aren't worth the time to even bother.
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Arunei wrote: »

And one more point I keep repeating that no one seems able (or willing) to answer is how hard is hard enough and how hard is too hard? Most people who say the game is too easy seem to be those who are veterans, used to the game and knowing what they're doing. You can get better at a game but aside from health conditions/aging you don't generally get worse or lose the skills you learn.

Exactly. I've inquired myself, as I could manage a small uptick in difficulty (after U35 and U36, and with Oakensoul) - I got a couple of facetious replies, but really no one ever says anything "real".

And here, what would be a good answer, 42%? You can't quantify this like that, it isn't "I could enjoy this fight if the mudcrab had 1mil health instead." I explained this a lot last year with things like "big bad bosses die before they can finish talking" and "npc tanks literally leap from the battlefield leaving their allies to die" to "npc conjurors who could summon deadra instead literally blow bubbles to fight." Simply giving enemies a bit more health and damage, but replacing their literally worthless abilities with something meaningful would make things more enjoyable.

Also reverting their design philosophy implemented around the time they released the dark brotherhood dlc, where npc tanks lost armor and gained damage, and npc damage dealers gained health and lost damage. If everything feels the same to fight, why bother fighting anything new? Letting enemies stand out and actually be worthy of even noticing would be a step in the right direction, right now the only thing I notice is 'is this person ranged or melee' and that's it.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    I still believe it would be completely unfair to the playerbase as a whole to have the entire base game altered to fit the wants of one playstyle.

Was the card game unfair to people who never play it? Were companions unfair to people who never use them or can't use them?

Those are new features that were added that players can choose to participate in or not, and they do not alter the base game like veteran overland would. The base game should stay the same for everyone, not customized to one particular playstyle.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 13, 2022 4:26PM
    PCNA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems I must’ve missed the pinned topic and constant barrage of new threads for hiding shoulders.

Just Google "ESO hide shoulders" and you will find plenty of them. This request is also mentioned frequently in the "What do you want to see in ESO" threads that pop up now and then.

As far as being pinned, the weekly threads popping up on this topic always devolved just to be replaced by another and were causing a negative experience for the posters, so this thread was created to keep it all in one place and prevent that.
    PCNA
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just Google "ESO hide shoulders" and you will find plenty of them. This request is also mentioned frequently in the "What do you want to see in ESO" threads that pop up now and then.

As far as being pinned, the weekly threads popping up on this topic always devolved just to be replaced by another and were causing a negative experience for the posters, so this thread was created to keep it all in one place and prevent that.

Matt explicitly stated that the new features will bring a new experience to the gameplay. What new gameplay will bring the ability to hide the shoulder pads, I do not understand...
    PC/EU
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the card game unfair to people who never play it? Were companions unfair to people who never use them or can't use them?

Those are new features that were added that players can choose to participate in or not, and they do not alter the base game like veteran overland would. The base game should stay the same for everyone, not customized to one particular playstyle.

Like Veteran Overland being a choice, as I am pretty sure we've all agreed on many times over the 140 pages here.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Veteran Overland being a choice, as I am pretty sure we've all agreed on many times over the 140 pages here.

We haven't all agreed. I find it completely unfair to customize the base game to one particular playstyle.
    PCNA
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, it’s a popular request..however, hide shoulders is not a feature, it’s an accessory to the outfit system. I’m in favor of the option to hide shoulders. The more options given to the players the better the game will be for all.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We haven't all agreed. I find it completely unfair to customize the base game to one particular playstyle.

I don't think ZoS will listen to the "force the difficulty" change people.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 13, 2022 5:16PM
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to set the difficulty to max and fight 1M hp skeevers for an hour. :D
    Edited by Four_Fingers on December 13, 2022 6:51PM
  • Cominfordatoothbrush

We already have normal/vet instances for dungeons/trials/arenas, why would it be unfair to have this for overland?
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We already have normal/vet instances for dungeons/trials/arenas, why would it be unfair to have this for overland?

This thread goes to another circle of the same discussions. I certainly consider vt. overland is a good idea, it's just that there are people who don't listen to arguments.
    PC/EU
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dungeons, trials and arenas are optional content that are set up specifically to provide additional challenges for those who choose to participate in them. Overland is the base game.

This thread goes to another circle of the same discussions. I certainly consider vt. overland is a good idea, it's just that there are people who don't listen to arguments.

I listen, I just don't agree with them.
    Edited by SilverBride on December 13, 2022 5:50PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dungeons, trials and arenas are optional content that are set up specifically to provide additional challenges for those who choose to participate in them. Overland is the base game.

So, are you against challenge banners and the like now?
  • corrosivechains
    corrosivechains
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole "it'd split the player base" argument is kind of a strange one tbh. We're already in a system that shards out zone instances depending on how many people currently occupy a zone at any given time, which splits the playerbase. Then overland content is all easily soloable and everyone who meets the damage threshold on mobs gets loot, so there's no issue with finding groups for things such as world bosses or delves. It'd effect no change in regard to "splitting the player base", and there isn't a "core player base" to appeal too because the vast majority of players engage in ALL content to varying degrees.

All this would be is giving more people more options to enjoy content in ways they wish. Adding options isn't a bad thing, even if it's an option only used by a minority of players.
    "Could you post me a link to the official MMO rule book please." - clayandaudrey_ESO