Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Neverending story - fancy houses are missing furniture slots

• Razberry9876
    Razberry9876
    ✭✭
    Adremal wrote: »
    I invite you to a friendly wager. 42.000 crowns if you manage to make one of the biggest houses "pretty filled in" - by community standards, housing discords/guilds and EHT hub should provide plenty of examples - if I were to name a famous creator who manages to make houses "filled in" - albeit by closing off portions of them or using smaller houses, that'd be Lovathy - and that is the catch: you'd have to do so without blocking off significant portions of them. Pull it off on a 700 house and win 42.000 crowns, live-streamed if need be, with the whole forum as a witness to my wager.

That is very compelling but first of all, I don't belong to any housing discords and I don't use EHT. I used to belong to a housing guild but left due to non housing related issues.

Also, I have never closed off any part of any house I own.

Then, more importantly, which houses qualify as one of the biggest houses? Just saw the 700 slot requirement. I have already decorated some large homes, such as Serenity Falls Estate (my very first house, decorated as a country estate and one character's private home, with a guest house), Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery (decorated as a mountain guest lodge) and Hall of the Lunar Champion (decorated as a museum with a Curator's office and a garden with a tea room). I have also decorated Alinor Crest Townhouse and Proudspire Manor which are decent sized (decorated as my character's private homes). And I consider all of these "filled in", yet no house is ever 100% complete as long as new items are added to the game that I may want to add to my decor.

If any of these qualify and you would like a tour then I'll accept the challenge.

See, this perfectly explains the type of decorator you are to me. I understand completely as my Alinor Crest Townhouse (600/600) is perfectly filled in & decorated exactly as I want it. But, it's that size of property & it is at max capacity. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your approach to decorating versus mine. We simply have different styles & I'm CDO over making my properties look as though my toons live in these homes with the appropriate details (Bathrooms Matter People). But, as I represent a huge segment of the housing community, they really need to focus on the changes that matter to us as a whole. 😉

#JustSaying #ChopChop #HousingPaysTheBills
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As long as this game is designed to use the same client for PC and Consoles, there will most likely not be a housing limit increase.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I invite you to a friendly wager. 42.000 crowns if you manage to make one of the biggest houses "pretty filled in" - by community standards, housing discords/guilds and EHT hub should provide plenty of examples - if I were to name a famous creator who manages to make houses "filled in" - albeit by closing off portions of them or using smaller houses, that'd be Lovathy - and that is the catch: you'd have to do so without blocking off significant portions of them. Pull it off on a 700 house and win 42.000 crowns, live-streamed if need be, with the whole forum as a witness to my wager.

That is very compelling but first of all, I don't belong to any housing discords and I don't use EHT. I used to belong to a housing guild but left due to non housing related issues.

Then, more importantly, which houses qualify as one of the biggest houses? Just saw the 700 slot requirement. I have already decorated some large homes, such as Serenity Falls Estate (my very first house, decorated as a country estate and one character's private home, with a guest house), Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery (decorated as a mountain guest lodge) and Hall of the Lunar Champion (decorated as a museum with a Curator's office and a garden with a tea room). I have also decorated Alinor Crest Townhouse and Proudspire Manor which are decent sized (decorated as my character's private homes). And I consider all of these "filled in", yet no house is ever 100% complete as long as new items are added to the game that I may want to add to my decor.

If any of these qualify and you would like a tour then I'll accept the challenge.

See, this perfectly explains the type of decorator you are to me. I understand completely as my Alinor Crest Townhouse (600/600) is perfectly filled in & decorated exactly as I want it. But, it's that size of property & it is at max capacity. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your approach to decorating versus mine. We simply have different styles & I'm CDO over making my properties look as though my toons live in these homes with the appropriate details (Bathrooms Matter People). But, as I represent a huge segment of the housing community, they really need to focus on the changes that matter to us as a whole. 😉

I appreciate your view that bathrooms matter, because all my character's personal homes have bathrooms.

I'm not sure what type of decorator you see me as, but I would be glad to show you some of my properties if you are on PC NA to show you that it is possible to fully decorate within the item limits.
    PCNA
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting stations, mundus stones, house guests, and some other utilities should not cost housing furniture slots! This would also make it more appealing for players to, you know, actually buy them.

Every expansion with new crafted sets, new house guests, and new utilities makes this problem worse and worse. So it is time to separate those slots from the house's maximum. With all the recent database improvements this should now probably be possible?

I'm still working on getting my set crafting stations and when I found out those took furnitureslots away, I had to remove furniture. And soon I will have to remove even more, as I am still working on the crafting stations.

PS: I'm using the hew's bane palace as my main house, and have ESO+.
    PPS: 68 x 4 = 272 slots for crafting alone. That alone is over 1/3rd of the total slots.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that hard to furnish Hall of the Lunar Champion or Antiquarians Gallery. Hell, Antiquarians Gallery is what, two rooms? They're some of the only 700-slot houses in the game that are basically logically sized for the limit.

Hall of the Lunar Champion? The house that is split into 4 parts that a lot of people said is too big to furnish properly is to you not hard?
    If he tried to fill Pantherfang or the Ayleid Ruins, he wouldn't have the same attitude, because it would be absurd. It just can't be done.

Meanwhile Pantherfang is absurd even though it could be done completely fine? It's a fort and chapel with a courtyard. Neither of those need to be cluttered with items and there is plenty of well done Pantherfangs.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Crafting stations, mundus stones, house guests, and some other utilities should not cost housing furniture slots! This would also make it more appealing for players to, you know, actually buy them.

Every expansion with new crafted sets, new house guests, and new utilities makes this problem worse and worse. So it is time to separate those slots from the house's maximum. With all the recent database improvements this should now probably be possible?

I'm still working on getting my set crafting stations and when I found out those took furnitureslots away, I had to remove furniture. And soon I will have to remove even more, as I am still working on the crafting stations.

PS: I'm using the hew's bane palace as my main house, and have ESO+.
    PPS: 68 x 4 = 272 slots for crafting alone. That alone is over 1/3rd of the total slots.

Does your main house have to have a full set of crafting stations?

Hall of the Lunar Champion is perfect for setting up crafting stations because it's large and it's free, and the layout makes it difficult to turn into much else.
    PCNA
  • Razberry9876
    Razberry9876
    ✭✭

I appreciate your view that bathrooms matter, because all my character's personal homes have bathrooms.

I'm not sure what type of decorator you see me as, but I would be glad to show you some of my properties if you are on PC NA to show you that it is possible to fully decorate within the item limits.

The kind that is more minimalist than I who likes more clutter/details than you do & who (probably) doesn't create new objects out of various different ones - i.e. - the food case, the signs, or any of the displays in my Antiquarian’s Alpine Gallery (if you actually clicked the link & watched the videos of my builds) are examples of how I use multiple furnishings to create new ones. Please correct me if I'm mistaken & know that I mean no offense. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with different approaches to decorating & I'm glad that you're happy with the current limits. Unfortunately, many of us are not. 😉
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I still don't understand how ESO+ use all their slots. I've decorated several houses from the smallest apartments to notable homes and the apartments are the only ones I've used all the slots in. I have 100+ slots unused in most of my homes and they look pretty filled in.

The only place I have run into a wall is with special collectibles, like pets and house-guests. Psijic Villa (my only very large house) should be able to accommodate many more of these without feeling crowded. My animals are spaced all over, outside. Then I got Bastian as a house-guest and had to remove one of them to make room for him, even though he was going inside.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The kind that is more minimalist than I who likes more clutter/details than you do & who (probably) doesn't create new objects out of various different ones - i.e. - the food case, the signs, or any of the displays in my Antiquarian’s Alpine Gallery (if you actually clicked the link & watched the videos of my builds) are examples of how I use multiple furnishings to create new ones. Please correct me if I'm mistaken & know that I mean no offense. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with different approaches to decorating & I'm glad that you're happy with the current limits. Unfortunately, many of us are not. 😉

I am minimalistic but pay a lot of attention to detail. I just don't believe that every empty spot has to have something piled up in it.
    PCNA
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't really use furnishing items to make "new items" because imo a lot of that stuff looks janky. I decorate to theme with the game but that being said even in a property like Waters Edge, I am finding that 600 slots is not enough. It's close, but I could easily use 100 more slots and that is without packing things out. Just making it properly decorated.

I can't imagine being able to decorate even a medium place when making custom furniture in game like you do.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand how ESO+ use all their slots. I've decorated several houses from the smallest apartments to notable homes and the apartments are the only ones I've used all the slots in. I have 100+ slots unused in most of my homes and they look pretty filled in.

My primary house is 550/700, and not even half complete. I just gave up on it to avoid the inevitable disappointment of having an incomplete home when I hit the cap.

It’s crazy how much money ZOS is leaving on the table! Many have said they would pay for more slots, and imagine all the furnishing packs and crown store items people are not buying because they have no place to put them!
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

My primary house is 550/700, and not even half complete. I just gave up on it to avoid the inevitable disappointment of having an incomplete home when I hit the cap.

It’s crazy how much money ZOS is leaving on the table! Many have said they would pay for more slots, and imagine all the furnishing packs and crown store items people are not buying because they have no place to put them!

They aren't doing it by choice. They simply can't increase the slots. It's not like they have a super easy solution to increase the housing slots but decides not to because they feel like being mean to those who wants it.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't doing it by choice. They simply can't increase the slots. It's not like they have a super easy solution to increase the housing slots but decides not to because they feel like being mean to those who wants it.

They can increase all the sparkly, shiny particle heavy effects, increase the details on furnishings, release massive new houses with thousands of permanent assets and give you resource hogging houseguests to wander around, but they can't let you place 50 more blocks or plants? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't leaving money on the table. They can't provide more slots at this time rather than won't. Additional slots are resource intensive because they must be able to hold all items and move across the entirety of the homes. If you think a corporation just doesn't want money, that's on you.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 2, 2021 5:57PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm glad you guys have the inside information that I don't. Every other part of the game is evolving, systems are getting faster and more capable, but housing is stuck in the past because 'they just can't.'
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm glad you guys have the inside information that I don't. Every other part of the game is evolving, systems are getting faster and more capable, but housing is stuck in the past because 'they just can't.'

It's in the housing forum. You can read their post about it. They literally can't. They want to and are working on performance in a lot of areas so maybe that will change in the future, but right now they cannot.
    That being said, improving performance is not a magic bullet solution for raising the furnishing cap in houses. “Performance” is a blanket term that encompasses frame rate, stability, memory usage, and other metrics related to how the game runs. Right now, setups that hit the minimum specifications can still struggle with homes that are fully decorated with relatively high impact furnishings.

We know that many of you have been hoping that our focus on performance improvements this year would directly result in an increased furnishing cap. We still have a lot of work left on the performance front and when it’s completed, we will reevaluate to see if we can increase the furnishing limits.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 2, 2021 6:07PM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It's in the housing forum. You can read their post about it. They literally can't. They want to and are working on performance in a lot of areas so maybe that will change in the future, but right now they cannot.

Lol, that was almost 2 years ago. You saying they are stuck in a time warp? But then again, their "Year(s) of Performance" may indicate that you might be correct.

Edited by Jaraal on December 2, 2021 8:42PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Lol, that was almost 2 years ago. You saying they are stuck in a time warp? But then again, their "Year(s) of Performance" may indicate that you might be correct.

It's still stickied because it still applies. As you yourself not their years of performance aren't over yet. Perhaps after this cold storage thing is done they will give us a new answer.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they can't increase the slot limit, then they should give us more compound furnishings, for example, dining tables decorate d with food, beds together with nightstands, counters with objects, etc. It's not ideal because they'd be rigid, and would take something out of customization, but at least for space filling purposes and for saving slots, it would help, especially since most new house releases are the size of small maps...
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's 2021 for [snip] cake, "bytes of data add up" is not an excuse.
    i can't fathom what is holding them back from adding more furnishing slots already.
    there's no denying how restrictive the measly amount currently is- and not just for notable homes.
    it's a real shame, such pretty homes & furnishings that we can't use to their full potential.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 3, 2021 5:29PM
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, would have thought that in two years it would have been possible to better performance not only in dungeons and raids, but also on the housing front. The sticky thread in the housing forum is almost two years old.

11 pages of suggestions, ideas, questions, requests etc. and not once did we get even one feedback post from the devs.

So as far as I can see - judging from the lack of response and interest from ZOS - the vast, money-spending community in ESO is not a priority for ZOS.

So far, the company is still doing well with this tactic. Players are still spending rl money on houses, furnishing packs etc. But I'm hearing a lot of players in my housing guild becoming more and more frustrated with ZOS' policy of lack and disinterest in the housing community's concerns. And when even one of the most talented and creative housing players says that she only logs in to finish her commissions and doesn't even really want to do those anymore... then this should be the moment for ZOS to perk up its collective ears and think about what's going on.

On the whole, the concerns of housing players have been backburnered for too long. Whether it's the problem with the furnishing plans being more rare than warts on a dwemer construct, or the housing materials dropping only if you sacrifice at least 50 guars before harvesting, or furniture ideas not even being considered (though for some reason ZOS has no problem putting together complete market stalls with tons of furnishings in Fargrave), much less the slots necessary to furnish those monstrosities that are called 'houses', the housing community is simply not being heard.

We get curated drops in dungeons and raids and trials now - but do we get curated drops of furnishing plans? No. You can go an entire week in Fargrave, finding only green (or sometimes blue) base game furnishing plans, and maybe one or two throw-away green Fargrave ones.

Sometimes I wonder whether ZOS regrets its decision to add housing to the game...
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The very first house I saved up for and bought (that wasn't an inn room) was Hunding's Palatial Manor. I fell in love with it as a house where I personally would like to live; I do not love the lack of rooms that was an earmark of all the earlier homes, but that platform out the back of the upper floor with its ocean view? Holy WOW. I knew when I saw it that it needed to be a breakfast nook where one could take in a cup of coffee in comfort while watching the sun rise if one is the sort of weirdo who's actually up for that time of day. I got it, and my approach to decorating was thus:

1. Utility. What do I have in my real-life house? A living area, a bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom. Those are the absolute basics. I have an office where I keep my computer, and there is another bedroom but I disregarded that because my character doesn't need a guest or children's bedroom. And then storage space.
    2. Luxuries--I allowed for a small dining area separate from the living area so I could be fancy and not eat in front of the equivalent-of-the-tv. The breakfast nook, of course. And ONE attraction to show guests. There's that "johad" there, so it begs to be a swimming/wading pool, perfect for adornment. And then a dock in the back where there's a partial dock but no actual dock dock.
    3. Utility items. Things I don't need in real life are a woodworking station, a clothing station, etc. But my characters do need that to do crafting outside of going into horrible, horrible town where all the noisy people and duels and sorc pets are. So there's seven slots, no biggie...except those spots need storage and accessories not included with the tables, like a fire source for blacksmithing and stock for crafting. My bedroom needs clothing storage, grooming items, a mirror, storage for personal items, light sources, seating, a rug, wall decor. My living area needs seating and decor and heating. My bathroom, which ended up being an outhouse on the beach, needs to be built from scratch and plumbed. My kitchen...oh dear gods, the kitchen and pantry. And the boat, and rope, and fishing equipment...

In the end, I had great big gaps. I had to sacrifice decor for utility items except in places I absolutely refused to scrimp on, the breakfast nook, the kitchen. The kitchen itself was a monster as I had to put in counters, food storage, cooking tools, and food. Needed items around my crafting stations were slot-heavy, especially the clothing station, and I didn't even have a dressmaker's dummy yet. I needed lights for the lighthouse. I took out every single native plant in the yard and replaced them with larger non-native trees and plants to fill space using as few slots as possible. But my bedroom was very bare with the basics and I had to cannibalize a lot of areas as I went, taking things out so that I could put in the bare basics in other spots. What I wound up with was a few spots that looked great, like the breakfast nook, and then places that just plain looked unfinished. I struggled so much to make the home look like lived in, *without* clutter, that it started to wear on me and I was no longer proud of it. Now I have stolen a lot of its furnishings to populate other homes because I had to accept that the item limit just wasn't going to let me make it look good. It remains my most frustrating house because I had such hopes for it. Later houses I just...didn't hope, and in order to make them look good I've had to close off entire areas like everyone else.

Edited by Minyassa on December 3, 2021 6:51PM
  • Razberry9876
    Razberry9876
    ✭✭
    Muttsmutt wrote: »
    it's 2021 for [snip] cake, "bytes of data add up" is not an excuse.
    i can't fathom what is holding them back from adding more furnishing slots already.
    there's no denying how restrictive the measly amount currently is- and not just for notable homes.
    it's a real shame, such pretty homes & furnishings that we can't use to their full potential.

[edited for profanity bypass]

FYI - Hubby of 24yrs just retired from active-duty US Navy service of 24yrs as an Aviation Electronics Technician. His career means he can (& has) made many computers from saudering parts together all the eay to creating several programs that wound up becoming implemented Navy-wide. You don't have a happy, healthy marriage to someone like that without picking up some things. Which is how I know that the housing increase of slots would break our current servers. All of these houses over all of their instances as individual account residences require item identifiers & positional data that would render the current servers dead for all time.

That being said, the changes that they've been implementing over the years + the promises made by Microsoft for new parts to repair our servers = It May Be Possible In The Near Future! BUT, because of their lack of interest in paying attention to many issues housing related - i.e. - Oh, strangers can enter your home & destroy months of work by redecorating your builds & sending furniture buried into floors, walls, etcetera? We won't bother patching a fix for it for far too long - It is important that we do all we can to make them realize that we're done being put on the back-burner. This is why I keep using #ChopChop #HousingPaysTheBills on Twitter.

I only hope some of y'all might join me in that. 😉
    [EDITED FOR SPELLING]
    Edited by Razberry9876 on December 4, 2021 4:15PM
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Which is how I know that the housing increase of slots would break our current servers. All of these houses over all of their instances as individual account residences require item identifiers & positional data that would render the current servers dead for all time.

What I don't understand is, why then is Fargrave no problem. Hundreds and hundreds and *hundreds* of different furnishings, with twirling gems and glowing stuff and wandering NPCs and players porting in and out of the zone every few seconds and rushing about on mounts. The servers seem to have no trouble handling that...
  • Razberry9876
    Razberry9876
    ✭✭

[snip]

Which is how I know that the housing increase of slots would break our current servers. All of these houses over all of their instances as individual account residences require item identifiers & positional data that would render the current servers dead for all time.

What I don't understand is, why then is Fargrave no problem. Hundreds and hundreds and *hundreds* of different furnishings, with twirling gems and glowing stuff and wandering NPCs and players porting in and out of the zone every few seconds and rushing about on mounts. The servers seem to have no trouble handling that...

Because all of those items are the same style & not unique bit of information that cannot be "replicated code". It seriously makes the difference.