The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Excuse me, of course, but...

ZeroDPS
ZeroDPS
✭✭✭✭
What the ...
Just started new game, started main quest, helped Prophet to escape(keep in mind Lyris Titanborn stayed in Coldharbor). Came to the fighters guild in Vulkhel Guard and TADAAAAM Lyris standing in fighters guild hall to give me prologue quest.... this is wrong, it is an obvious game bug pls do with this something. It is just ridiculous, a player starts a fresh new game, being killed my Mannimarco, travel to Coldharbour meet Lyris exchange her with Prophet, and THIS..... @ZOS_Kevin
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way this is what is happening when you change starting point of the game! That was bad idea!
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tell Lyris to get back to her work station.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it doesn't make any sense at all. I can only imagine how bad it is for a brand new player.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you worry, Varen will explain everything when he shows up in a future yearly story.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep looking, and you'll find Abnur Tharn as well. It's because you're in a time loop where it's always the same year, except it's more like a ball of string where the string is coiled in a loop, such that multiple future years are all lined up in a loop such that any given moment in time (day of the year and time of day) is made up of that "same" time from multiple years all layered or stacked together. Just keep your eyes peeled for a blue box.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobius strip....
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoiler: Soulgems
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nooooo you just don't get it. All of the chapters and basegame story are happening at the same time!
    So Schrödinger's Lyris is both in Coldharbour and not. Perfectly logical if you ask me.
    You think that a consistent red thread would add value to the game? Oh pish-posh!
    /s

Just wait until you finish the main quest and then go back to the Fighter's Guild...
    Without going into spoilers here, it gets worse...
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, loop with Abnur Tharn is worse, cause sometimes you need to finish Elsweyr prologue before you can continue main quest -_-
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Real Lyris Titanborn died in Coldharbour.
    The Main Protagonist is just mentally insane.
    MP is that person who runs around all over Tamriel to "save the world" by fighting massive dragons and ancient vampire clans etc. The locals can't see the things MP can but encourage MP to carry on with the madness. It's just easier that way.

One day the truth will be told to MP and Sheo will return to take MP to the Shivering Isles...
    PS | EU
  • Theros
    Theros
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    What the ...
    Just started new game, started main quest, helped Prophet to escape(keep in mind Lyris Titanborn stayed in Coldharbor). Came to the fighters guild in Vulkhel Guard and TADAAAAM Lyris standing in fighters guild hall to give me prologue quest.... this is wrong, it is an obvious game bug pls do with this something. It is just ridiculous, a player starts a fresh new game, being killed my Mannimarco, travel to Coldharbour meet Lyris exchange her with Prophet, and THIS..... @ZOS_Kevin
    Don't make any sence
    Hurbster wrote: »
    Yes, it doesn't make any sense at all. I can only imagine how bad it is for a brand new player.
    Or maybe you can´t imagine how bad allof this quest system is.

I'm a new player (Kind off). And i can´t understand the story because things like that. Chars are in one place and in other, they know me, but i never see them... its so bad!The quest system is Realy BAD!!!

When i buy the game i trie to make the story... i give up! Unnistal ESO and move away. Now i return again... But this time i have one Rollplay for my char.

"I'm one Breton, and one day i wake up in some place i dont know, I dont know what im doing in tamriel and i have amnesia. This is why some NPC know me, but i dontknow any one". I simple accept quest, give random answer and move on.
    I dont read anything of what they say. For my char (rollplay), it's like he is def too."

And with one rollplay like that in mind, i can play the game. But once more... in reality.... it's a shame!

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 21, 2021 1:19PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackey wrote: »
    The Real Lyris Titanborn died in Coldharbour.
    The Main Protagonist is just mentally insane.
    MP is that person who runs around all over Tamriel to "save the world" by fighting massive dragons and ancient vampire clans etc. The locals can't see the things MP can but encourage MP to carry on with the madness. It's just easier that way.

One day the truth will be told to MP and Sheo will return to take MP to the Shivering Isles...

Something like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I
    Yes it was the obvious thing I thought of.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal tbh, your brain will explode once you meet two copies of Vanus Galerion standing inside Mages Guild at the same time.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/403420/vanus-galerion-paradox-quest-conflict
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Entire main story has been a big mess since OneTam.
    Just have to pick up a thread and follow it to the best of your abilities, so put your blinders on!

BTW ZoS devs:
    Could be just a tad helpful if we had a toggle for prologue quest markers/givers.
    Hell, even a different style quest marker if that is easier to implement.
    The starter zone is crowded with them and it must be extremely confusing to new players trying to follow a story line.
  • Hellmasker
    Hellmasker
    ✭✭✭
    Can't they just make it so prologue, chapter and zone starter npc's just don't show up until you explicitly want them to? I seem to remember you can start the quests from the collections - I would just hint towards that, so all those pesky npc's don't mess with the players. Let us activate it when we're ready to do them.
    Asgar Hellmasker, Silencer of the Dark Brotherhood
  • Theros
    Theros
    ✭✭✭
    Hellmasker wrote: »
    Can't they just make it so prologue, chapter and zone starter npc's just don't show up until you explicitly want them to? I seem to remember you can start the quests from the collections - I would just hint towards that, so all those pesky npc's don't mess with the players. Let us activate it when we're ready to do them.

Maybe something like:

Enter ingame -> start\activate main quest->start fight guild (after we free Lyris) \and Mages guild-> start zone quest.
    Something easy like this.

Likei say befoure, i realy don't understand why\how i start in one zone, and befoure anything, i have to traver for main city to start main quest.Because, if we dont do this... story will be a big mess.
    I realy dont understand why ZOS dont do anything about this. Give us free... ok.... But freedom is not lose yourself in story.
    Should't be...
  • Theros
    Theros
    ✭✭✭
    Theros wrote: »

Maybe something like:

Enter ingame -> start\activate main quest->start fight guild (after we free Lyris) \and Mages guild-> start zone quest.
    Something easy like this. (And all quest freedom after this point only)

Likei say befoure, i realy don't understand why\how i start in one zone, and befoure anything, i have to traver for main city to start main quest.Because, if we dont do this... story will be a big mess.
    I realy dont understand why ZOS dont do anything about this. Give us free... ok.... But freedom is not lose yourself in story.
    Should't be...

• MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just think of it like the Star Wars universe.

Darth Vader killed Luke's father, but not really because he is Luke's father.

Obiwan is dead, but not really.

The first Star Wars movie, released in 1978, wasn't actually the first episode. It was actually the fourth episode and we just didn't know it until the real episodes 1-3 where released much later.

The Jedi are the good guys in all the episodes until episode seven, when we find out from Luke the Jedi might have been the problem all along.

If that's not clear as mud, let me know and I'll try to add more confusion to the discussion.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to be vague to not spoiler drop but I had a similar WTH moment with Raz after finishing the last AD zones story. :(
    Something "significant" was supposed to have happened based on my choices.

Then later after doing a few other zone quests, at the end of the zone story, there's Raz! So I run up to him as he's like my fav NPC to talk to him and there is ZERO mention of anything "significant".
    Like nothing ever happened?
    I was excited to see him, but now I can't help think it was just a massive continuity error on ZOS' part.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have two options here. Put the quest on rails and be scripted from zone to zone, instance to instance every time you make a new char. Or have the freedom to do the quests in the order you want and play how you want. I think of it like the Conan books. The story if read in order of written, jumps all over the place from Conan being a boy, to the next book he is old and been ruling as king for a long time. Enjoy each story like its own thing.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    You have two options here. Put the quest on rails and be scripted from zone to zone, instance to instance every time you make a new char. Or have the freedom to do the quests in the order you want and play how you want. I think of it like the Conan books. The story if read in order of written, jumps all over the place from Conan being a boy, to the next book he is old and been ruling as king for a long time. Enjoy each story like its own thing.

It would be nice if they put in an option that people could select, to be able to follow a chosen 'main' storyline On Rails. Or not. For new players who want to get a coherent story, the current anarchic mess is very hard to find a way through.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nanfoodle wrote: »

But that’s not what is going on here. It would be like if all the books were combined into one with Conan ruling at the same time he is adventuring at the same time he is a boy at the same time he dies.
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But this was a beginning...
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyreal1974 wrote: »
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But this was a beginning...

Best series of books ever written
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way I figure it. I'm the hero. But, all the other players are the hero too and it's a paradox every time I see one of these other "me's." So probably it is just a DIFFERENT computer playing one Lyris vs. another. 🤣
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭

I followed EXACT this guide still Lyris there....
  • Tyreal1974
    Tyreal1974
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah you will still see Lyris as she is involved in various quest arcs in the timeline of this game. ZOS did not code any logic into when NPC's appear in relation to what quests your character might have or have not completed. Time is a flat circle in Tamriel in this era and should not be perceived in a linear fashion with all the incursions happening.
    Edited by Tyreal1974 on September 21, 2021 9:16PM
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyreal1974 wrote: »

Yeah you will still see Lyris as she is involved in various quest arcs in the timeline of this game. ZOS did not code any logic into when NPC's appear in relation to what quests your character might have or have not completed. Time is a flat circle in Tamriel in this era and should not be perceived in a linear fashion with all the incursions happening.

yeah you are right.

@ZOS_GinaBruno hey Gina, do we have any upcoming changes for this?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it's a mess, especially for new players. I appreciate the freedom of choice ESO offers in letting you do content in any order, but I don't think that has to require all the immersion breaks, spoilers and other problems the current system offers. I've explored one solution below but I'm sure there's others too.

It comes across like ZOS don't trust players to be able to find anything by themselves and making anything they consider important (like starting new storylines) virtually impossible to miss over rides all other considerations, even making sure those storylines make sense, don't contradict each other and don't include massive spoilers for the end of one the player is currently doing.

I think that would be a good solution.

For example Guild Wars 2 allows a similar freedom of choice - you have to be level 80 to play anything except the base game's main storyline but once you are you don't have to play them in order, you could jump into the latest release straight away, or the last big expansion or play everything in reverse order if you really wanted to. But it very rarely has the same issue ESO does where NPCs show up out of order because a lot of stuff is instanced or phased and won't be there until after you've started the relevant storyline.

ESO already has the tech to do that and it's used frequently within quests - if you're doing a quest during an event or new release you'll often see players clustered around an empty space who are talking to an NPC you can't see because you're not on that step - so it seems likely they could do the same with quest starter NPCs.

I realise there could be an issue with immersion - players will want to activate a quest by talking to an NPC rather than activating something in a menu - but there the solution could be to make sure the initial NPC is a generic one rather than a major character from a previous storyline and the others don't show up until you've started the quest.

They could even solve the NPC/quest 'clutter' problem by making them all the same NPC. Add a Herald or a Mercenary Recruiter or whatever you want to call them to each major city who generically advertises that they have jobs available and when you talk to them you get the option to start any DLC or expansion storyline that character has not yet done, with appropriate dialogue of course.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"