The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Outfits: Hide Slot option for ALL slots

Berdusk
Berdusk
✭✭✭
As usual, the message is pretty much in the tin: I'd like to see a Hide Slot option available for all slots. This would be a great QoL improvement, IMHO. By way of further explanation...

Tonight, I wanted to set some over-sized sleeves on my Necromancer, but I wasn't able to find a style in the Hands slot that did this. Easy work-around would be to put on a Chest piece with over-sized sleeves, right? Not so.

See, here is the Sapiarch Jack, with the Hand Slot cleared: rGHRKe8.png

As soon as I equip anything on my Hands, those beautiful filigreed sleeves go away. And this game is not designed to let me simply leave an equipment slot empty - that's suicide in a Trial and could easily be argued as expecting others to carry you in other group content. It just doesn't work.

So my ask is simple: Let us Hide our gear for other slots just like we can for our head gear.
Also, isn't it a shame to hide such beautiful work on the chest models by default?

What do you think?

• rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's basic functionality but either ZoS does not know how to fix bug where hiding a gear slot would also hide the player or someone in decisive position does not like creative outfitting. Judging from ugly underwear trend in older tes gaems, I'd bet for latter.
    Edited by rpa on August 31, 2021 4:39AM
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing we've been asking for for ages... and we've even seen that 'Hide Shoulders' (among others) is available in a dev build.

I'd love to see something like this. With all of the tats we get in crown crates, it'd be great to be able to show them off, you know?
    Options
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm against the hide pants option, but I'll happily support the rest
    Options
  • Kingdomkeepers69_ESO
    I brought this up just a few weeks ago. Its annoying.
    Options
  • Berdusk
    Berdusk
    ✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    It's basic functionality but either ZoS does not know how to fix bug where hiding a gear slot would also hide the player or someone in decisive position does not like creative outfitting. Judging from ugly underwear trend in older tes gaems, I'd bet for latter.

If it's an issue anything like in the Creation Engine (ESO runs Hero Engine; other Bethesda games use Creation) where they've made a "BODY" slot to cover the entire body for some clothing/armor (and incorporate the body mesh as a part of the clothing, so it overwrites the regular mesh), then this could be the source of the problem.

Now that I'm on the subject, I think I spotted a seam in my character's body in a costume yesterday, so I'm inclined to suggest that what they've done is actually cut the underlying body mesh up to match the given slots, so that they can overwrite it per the above but on a slot-by-slot basis. This would save significantly on processing power, too.

If this is the case, they're probably thinking they'd have to revamp the entire system to fix it - which is simply too much of an ask for such a small feature. My suggestion, dear Devs, would be to instead make the "hide slot" option simply restore the missing limb to the body. As this option would be used by only a fraction of the player population, it would have minimal impact on resources for rendering, and would not make the character (or piece of said character) disappear. Again - IF that is what is happening. It's hard to offer solutions without knowing the exact nature of the problem (not that I know better than the devs, either, but modders usually have to think outside of the box).

Anyway, all of that aside... if there's a technical problem preventing this from being an option, could we please get some loose-sleeve hand styles, then? This should not be difficult to do - throw an arm bangle on one end around the forearm and then just cut some sleeves/textures off a few existing meshes and slap them on the end of it (the bangle). Voila! Loose sleeves. Please? Thanks.
    Options
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why though? It's not like characters are completely nude even when they have nothing on. People should be able to make whatever look they like for a character; we're the ones that have to see them all the time, you'd only see them for, at the most, the stretch of time it takes to clear a dungeon or trial. People can already run around partially or fully 'naked' in banks and stuff as it is anyway.

OP, I know it might not be ideal, but I'm certain the Prophet's Wraps only cover the hands and wouldn't cover the sleeves of the top you wanted to use. Not 100% certain, but very very certain, like...95% certain haha. It really sucks though, because there's the same problem regarding the Leg and Feet slots. A lot of boots/shoes/whatever will cover like the bottom half of whatever you've got in your Legs slot, which can cover neat patterns or cover skin on Legs that leave your lower legs bare. It just seems pointless to make these design choices when wearing armor in the Hand/Feet slots is going to make them invisible.

What would be nice would be if we could layer stuff, choosing if we want stuff in the Hands slot to layer over or under the Chest slot, and stuff in the Feet slot to layer over or under the Legs slot. Probably a LOT harder, if not impossible, to implement, but a person can dream.
    Edited by Arunei on August 31, 2021 8:36AM
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm against hide chest and pants, but hiding all the rest seems fine. I'd also like to see more skimpy motifs added.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on August 31, 2021 8:39AM
    Options
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm kind of against this. hide helmet is fine. shoulders are often ugly, so i can see a case for that, but really, i think this will never change, and probably shouldn't. you have tons of clothing options, just go with it. i'd say that they should add more interesting and varied armour sets and attractive outfits for all types of players, but hide all options...i'm a no
    PC - EU - Steam client
    Options
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm against hide pants because that seems like a fair limit.. we already have bare chested costumes, so ZOS eliminated that debate.. Another reason is "because people".. I'd we could, from the start, eliminate the issue if someone being t-bagged by a person without pants, that would be a great thing.. and yes, I know that it can happen already, but it's not entirely the same thing
    Options
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have my axe...
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of my female characters would be wearing pants. Yeah there's the Nordic Bath Towel, but I like to see everything above the waist be something more.
    Options
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I absolutely support the option to hide any part of outfit! :)

Also, I've never seen Sapiarch chest without gloves, thank you for showing it! Such beautiful sleeves! :o It's sad that gloves hide those sleeves :/

In GW2 for example, players can hide Helmet, Shoulders and Gloves.
    Sadly, chests and pants can't be hidden...
    For bare feet option, there is extremely rare and expencive style - so technically, Boots can be hidden too... if you own this style.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WFzGyMN.jpg

I forget which gloves are these I'll add it in later, but I think these ones work pretty well at retaining some of the Sapiarch sleeves.
    Options
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    WFzGyMN.jpg

I forget which gloves are these I'll add it in later, but I think these ones work pretty well at retaining some of the Sapiarch sleeves.

Ancient elves gloves
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancient elves gloves

Thanks. I can't actually get in game rn so appreciate that.
    Options
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone wants the perks of what armor provides, but wants to be fashionable without it. Understandable but maybe one of the better real life problems the game provides. Like the look of not having pants on? We suffer the consequence.

So we Gear up with what we need instead of heading in dolled up like it's tea time.
    I have a couple no pant outfits for just walking around to merchants and crafting. Is it a PITA to have to add pants in cyrodiil each time for the extra protection? Yep. But at least it's life-like problem. They gave us the helm which they probably shouldn't have for the same reason. I justify it as we have no equippable circlets that provide buffs like in Skyrim. I guess it helps visually to prevent near naked battles everywhere.

But agree with OP there are motifs that visually suffer when forced to pair various slots of gear.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
    Options
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for hide any piece

Also, Imperial 1 gloves will work with anything you don't want the cuffs hidden on (and free to apply if you have that edition)

As for no to the chests and pants crowd and people peopling, I disagree. This crowd are not really that sort. There are very few who I see being 'right out there' and they are mostly just having a laugh around cities.

*If people are gonna get nekkies they gonna do it anyway. Let's face it, most overland can be done nekked anyhow xD

Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fully agree on hiding all slots. Let each player decide what is appropriate for the look they want.

If you start letting others decide what they don't want to see, where does it end? I don't want to see a chubby orc in a pink bathing towel riding a lion but that doesn't mean I should be able to restrict other players from doing it. I might actually put a mid-thigh tunic on my little elf and skip the pants for a short skirt with boots look. Maybe.

What barbarian would want to not go bare chested?
    Why would an Argonian or Khajiit not want all four sets of claws exposed for combat?
    Hiding hats, belts, shoulders are a no brainer and should carry zero controversy.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    Why though? It's not like characters are completely nude even when they have nothing on. People should be able to make whatever look they like for a character; we're the ones that have to see them all the time, you'd only see them for, at the most, the stretch of time it takes to clear a dungeon or trial. People can already run around partially or fully 'naked' in banks and stuff as it is anyway.

Cause this game doesn't need to be another mmo full of [Snip]. If thats to your liking take your pick, there are plenty.

Your other arguments don't hold much water either. It not being part of the outfit system is why so few bother with it, despite them being able to. If it was part of the outfits we'd see this everywhere. You also see people in more places than just in some dungeons/trials...

I always liked how ESO is keeping most of this stuff out, but they slowly add more and more of it. Sooner or later there will be a bikini bottom style and maybe even *** like bunny ears and other such atrocities.

[Edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on August 31, 2021 12:33PM
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the idea of adding hide options to all slots.

For those worried about what players will hide it doesn't change anything over the current options. Players can already run around "naked" (in the undearwear which cannot be removed) anywhere they like.

But more importantly I think this would go exactly the same way as the debates on dying armour, then dying outfits, then dying weapons where a very vocal group of players was extremely worried that lots of people would 'abuse' the option by dying things bright pink (apparently the most obnoxious colour in existance) but what actually happened is the vast majority used dyes to make their equipment look like a matching set instead of odd pieces, or to fit a theme (like dying the light red weapons we were previously stuck with more realistic colours) and the ones who did try to do something silly were already doing that.

Will we have some players hiding all slots and going through the game naked? Yes, but they'll be the ones who already go around naked, or using the bathing towel or other very revealing outfits. I think that just like with dyes the vast majority asking for and supporting these requests would use it in a more restrained way to create a style which fits their character and the world but is not currently possible with the combinations we're restricted to.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoulders are the worst…. like I’m fond of the 80’s but… COME ON…. :D
    Options
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also want a "Hide Mud flaps" option.
    Edited by kojou on August 31, 2021 1:38PM
    Playing since beta...
    Options
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there should be an option to hide each and every slot, legs included. Yeah you'll probably see a naked character once in a while, but who cares?

The majority of players I see around use either outfits/dyes that are (kind of) fitting for the setting or at least have matching sets or themes. The garish neon jester overlords are usually a rarity, we just remember them because that bloodroot orange and psijic tatoo combo burns into your retina (and soul) from the other side of the market square whenever one passes by.

There was a similar kind of 'fear' when weapon dyes came out, how everyone would supposedly turn their swords into glowsticks. Then weapon dyes came out and of course everyone made their awful rubedite coloured swords look like metal. :D

It's probably just a manner of priorities, I think hiding slots will come sooner or later. I hope it's sooner!
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »
    I also want a "Hide Mud flaps" option.

I agree here too but believe the best solution to hip/butt/crotch flappers is to use the belt for such waist girding accessories - to include potion cases, pouches, scroll cases, etc. Turn belts from useless into a wide variety of accessory/flapper holders. Free the chest pieces of all that . . . stuff.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I support the idea of adding hide options to all slots.

For those worried about what players will hide it doesn't change anything over the current options. Players can already run around "naked" (in the undearwear which cannot be removed) anywhere they like.

But more importantly I think this would go exactly the same way as the debates on dying armour, then dying outfits, then dying weapons where a very vocal group of players was extremely worried that lots of people would 'abuse' the option by dying things bright pink (apparently the most obnoxious colour in existance) but what actually happened is the vast majority used dyes to make their equipment look like a matching set instead of odd pieces, or to fit a theme (like dying the light red weapons we were previously stuck with more realistic colours) and the ones who did try to do something silly were already doing that.

Will we have some players hiding all slots and going through the game naked? Yes, but they'll be the ones who already go around naked, or using the bathing towel or other very revealing outfits. I think that just like with dyes the vast majority asking for and supporting these requests would use it in a more restrained way to create a style which fits their character and the world but is not currently possible with the combinations we're restricted to.

I am afraid of it because right now it's a lot less accessible and I've seen in other games what accessibility enables. If you want to be naked right now you either drop your armor which is obviously very inconvenient, use a very selective choice of outfit styles which might be expensive to obtain and might not look like you want them or use costumes most of which are locked behind the crown store or plain ugly like the bathing towel.

I too think we should be able to hide everything except the legs and maybe the chest.

Options
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d love to be able to run around looking like a nude Ken doll but I understand “hide” limits. In LoTRO you can hide anything but pants but their graphics are also on the Fisher-Price level so technically easier I would guess.
    Options
  • Berdusk
    Berdusk
    ✭✭✭
    WFzGyMN.jpg

This (ancient elf) worked. I'm not sure how I overlooked it. Thanks. :)
    NupidStoob wrote: »

Cause this game doesn't need to be another mmo full of [Snip]. If thats to your liking take your pick, there are plenty.

Your other arguments don't hold much water either. It not being part of the outfit system is why so few bother with it, despite them being able to. If it was part of the outfits we'd see this everywhere. You also see people in more places than just in some dungeons/trials...

I always liked how ESO is keeping most of this stuff out, but they slowly add more and more of it. Sooner or later there will be a bikini bottom style and maybe even *** like bunny ears and other such atrocities.

I love how the most vociferous opponent of inappropriate content in this thread is, in fact, inappropriate.

The fact of the matter is that if people wanted to go skimpy, anyway, they can simply remove gear and clear the slots. This isn't something that can't be done already - and even if it wasn't, our characters are never naked and, frankly, don't look that great in just their skivvies, anyhow. Never mind the nordic beach towel costume which has very much the same effect. I don't think nudity/skimpiness is really a valid concern here.

Options
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berdusk wrote: »
    WFzGyMN.jpg

I love how the most vociferous opponent of inappropriate content in this thread is, in fact, inappropriate.

The fact of the matter is that if people wanted to go skimpy, anyway, they can simply remove gear and clear the slots. This isn't something that can't be done already - and even if it wasn't, our characters are never naked and, frankly, don't look that great in just their skivvies, anyhow. Never mind the nordic beach towel costume which has very much the same effect. I don't think nudity/skimpiness is really a valid concern here.

I love how you phrase this as some sort of gotcha and the obvious Thesaurus use. If the standard term that is used for these kind of mogs is "inappropriate" then so be it.

I also addressed the issue of "it's already in the game" plenty.

Nudity/skimpiness isn't much of an issue as there are lot's of tribal NPCs and similar like that in the game already. The issue I have is that it usually goes way further than just that once players get involved and it gets plain tasteless as pretty much any other MMO that added things like this has proven.

I simply don't like to run around in a city full of half naked people. Elder Scrolls games aren't like that despite what you possibly made yourself believe by installing all the ridiculous Skyrim mods. There are enough websites to satisfy these kind of needs.
    Options
  • Berdusk
    Berdusk
    ✭✭✭
    Berdusk wrote: »
    WFzGyMN.jpg

I love how you phrase this as some sort of gotcha and the obvious Thesaurus use. If the standard term that is used for these kind of mogs is "inappropriate" then so be it.

I also addressed the issue of "it's already in the game" plenty.

Nudity/skimpiness isn't much of an issue as there are lot's of tribal NPCs and similar like that in the game already. The issue I have is that it usually goes way further than just that once players get involved and it gets plain tasteless as pretty much any other MMO that added things like this has proven.

I simply don't like to run around in a city full of half naked people. Elder Scrolls games aren't like that despite what you possibly made yourself believe by installing all the ridiculous Skyrim mods. There are enough websites to satisfy these kind of needs.

391906020_THUMBS_UP_400px.gif

For the record, A.) I don't care for skimpy mods, myself, and B.) my reference to modders earlier in the thread was to making mods, not using them. Way to go with the presumption, though - not only with me, but the entire player population and what they would do given the option.
    Options
  • Feljax
    Feljax
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted about this very issue before and will add my support. Not sure about hide pants but definitely everything else. I especially want to see hide chest not only for the barbarian look but also because it seems that if you hide gloves with certain chest pieces you still end up with large, unsightly bracers on your forearms, which is really annoying. Come to think of it, it would be nice if we could hide those separately to have more bare arm options. I believe a similar thing happens around your calves with certain leg styles.
    Options