Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Codex entries lost with Waking Flame update

• jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just the lost leads, it's the lost *acknowledgement that the antiquity has been found* - the codex entries. Especially when the antiquity in question is, in fact, sitting in your inventory, in your storage chests, or in one of your houses.
  • LINCARD1000
    LINCARD1000
    ✭✭✭
    Well over 50 or 60 ostensibly non expiring leads of all colours now gone (most of which were quite old to be fair). Others that were found within the past 30 days (also non-expiring) are still there but now have expiry dates on them.

PCNA.

Sad LINCY would like them back, pretty please? Was going to be using them to level up antiquities on a couple of alts.
  • linlilia
    linlilia
    ✭✭✭
    Lost over 40 leads including most of the motif leads in the base zones that I had already collected at least once. and all of my journals are completely screwed up. Missing almost all of my codecs for motifs and a bunch for antiquities that I had already completed.

PC NA

https://ibb.co/QjYMW4c
  • Myrnhiel
    Myrnhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least for the timers being introduced for most of the leads now, there is an "official" statement. If someone in the German forum hadn't posted this I, for my part, would never have known as there was not real official statement about this. At least not in the German forum and apparently not here as well.

I think this hasn't been posted here yet:

They whave been introduced for... consistency...

Starting at about 27:40.

Enjoy!

I remember that in the beginning (when Antiquities were presented in the beginning) he said something in the line of: everyone can do Antiquities at their own pace and leisure.

Well, apparently not.

Or I my memory fools me.

I hope that at least everyone will get their lost leads back. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be sorted out by ZOS.

Edited by Myrnhiel on August 25, 2021 7:03AM
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myrnhiel wrote: »
    I hope that at least everyone will get their lost leads back. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will be sorted out by ZOS.

Yeah - if they were going to do this without telling anyone or detailing it in the patch notes, they should have just reset all the timers instead of deleting everyone’s leads.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried about any leads I lost, because I always do the ones that are going to expire-- and as for the ones that didn't expire before because we'd already excavated them at least once, the only reason I didn't excavate them yet was to keep from getting them over and over.

And I'm not too worried about the codex entries because I can get them again.

But then, I didn't have any leads sitting around which were hard to come by, and I didn't lose any mythic antiquities or leads to their fragments. I still haven't excavated a single mythic antiquity; any I've made progress on are still missing several of their fragments, and the fragments I do have are still there. I can understand why anyone who lost actual antiquities, or rare leads, would be upset.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »

Yeah - if they were going to do this without telling anyone or detailing it in the patch notes, they should have just reset all the timers instead of deleting everyone’s leads.

Or... or... hear me out here, how about they don't say anything, delete our leads and wipe our codex entries so we can have the privilege of finding those leads all over again to repopulate our codexes?

Profit?

Is like a free reset, we should be grateful really...

Maybe they can do that with achievements next patch, I'm sure people would be chuffed to gather all those monster trophies again.

PS: On a slightly more serious note many of us were hit by an issue with the collectibles in Wrothgar. They did get around to fixing it and only took them anything between 5 and 16 months depending on what variation of the issue one experienced and when one was hit by but we still had to pick up the collectibles again, it didn't magically complete itself.

I hope I am wrong but I have the sinking feeling that is going to be the same here and we are going to have to resolve this conundrum the way Zenithar intended, by finding and digging up the leads again and re-populating the codex ourselves.

In true corporate fashion which values remaining blameless above all other things from their perspective we are probably just being ridiculous about this... happening and we should embrace it as a feature rather than deride it as a flaw.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on August 25, 2021 7:46AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having certain leads suddenly expire and get deleted is one thing, and if it had been known ahead of time that this was going to be done then people could have excavated leads that they cared about rather than losing them.

But having a lead expire shouldn't have resulted in any changes to the number of times the game thought that lead had been excavated, shouldn't have deleted any codex entries, and shouldn't have caused any actual antiquities to be deleted. That was definitely a bug, because it shouldn't have happened, period. You don't get another entry added to your codex until after the lead has been excavated, so failure to excavate a lead before it expires has nothing to do with how many times you'd already excavated it. I think that must be the buggy logic that they just patched.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong but I have the sinking feeling that is going to be the same here and we are going to have to resolve this conundrum the way Zenithar intended, by finding and digging the leads again and re-populating the codex ourselves.

ZOS's deafening silence on the point of repopulating the codex entries, as opposed to fixing further losses, also makes me wonder if they are just going to try and ride this one out.

I mean I know ZOS likes retaining grinds for the sake of grinds (and crown store unlocks)... but this takes the cake.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong but I have the sinking feeling that is going to be the same here and we are going to have to resolve this conundrum the way Zenithar intended, by finding and digging the leads again and re-populating the codex ourselves.

ZOS's deafening silence on the point of repopulating the codex entries, as opposed to fixing further losses, also makes me wonder if they are just going to try and ride this one out.

I mean I know ZOS likes retaining grinds for the sake of grinds (and crown store unlocks)... but this takes the cake.

Well, they didn't think this to be important enough to give us a heads up so why they would start thinking that is actually relevant now?

Besides they know for a fact that given a couple of weeks this thread will die out and everyone will just get on with repairing the damage caused, all they need to do is just keep quiet and let the thread die; maybe do something proactive about closing the thread down if it doesn't die of natural cause fast enough for their taste but for the most part all they need to do is nothing.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Jessica did say they’re still working on that. Personally I would like regular updates, even just to say, “We haven’t found a solution yet but it’s still a priority.” I guess they’d be criticised for that as much as for not posting anything, though.
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    My bet that we will lost the codex forever and have to redo everything ...
  • WildLight
    WildLight
    ✭✭✭
    Well, at least for the timers being introduced for most of the leads now, there is an "official" statement. If someone in the German forum hadn't posted this I, for my part, would never have known as there was not real official statement about this. At least not in the German forum and apparently not here as well.

I think this hasn't been posted here yet:

They whave been introduced for... consistency...

Starting at about 27:40.

Enjoy!

I remember that in the beginning (when Antiquities were presented in the beginning) he said something in the line of: everyone can do Antiquities at their own pace and leisure.

Well, apparently not.

Or I my memory fools me.

What a terrible change, omg. And a shadow one at that, haven't seen anything in the patch notes about it (unless I'm blind, which is also a possibility).

What does that even mean, "for consistency"? To consistently make the antiquities feel more like a chore? I usually only do mythic leads before they expire on my main while saving more common leads to level up skill lines on other characters when I feel like it. And now it's basically forcing me to grind all of the leads before the time runs out. So much for the pace and leisure.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »

Jessica did say they’re still working on that. Personally I would like regular updates, even just to say, “We haven’t found a solution yet but it’s still a priority.” I guess they’d be criticised for that as much as for not posting anything, though.

The last post I have seen from her on this subject suggested they were continuing to investigate a fix.

A charitable reading of this would suggest that they have the data required to rebuild peoples' lost entries and are investigating how it can be applied safely. The uncharitable reading of this is that they are investigating whether a fix is possible at all based on not having the required data anymore.

I'd really appreciate some clarity as to the likelihood of a fix being possible because, as it is, it would be very easy for ZOS to maintain that they were investigating a fix until the point where all but a few (easily ignored) diehards had moved on.

Quite simply: Does the data still exist in the databases/backups that would allow them to restore the codex entries without further loss?

A yes or no answer to that question would go a long way to putting my mind at ease over this debacle.
  • Peppo_Lives
    Peppo_Lives
    ✭✭✭
    ZigoSid wrote: »
    My bet that we will lost the codex forever and have to redo everything ...

after having already found mythic leads 3 times (beside death dealer fete), if they don't restore lost codex entries, i'll simply give up on the antiquity system: losing so much progress is an insult to completists and those who are simply curious about the lore behind it, imho :frowning: i can adapt to combat changes and so on, but losing so much progress (i'm talking of months) in farming leads (some have really ridicoulous drop rates btw) is way too much.....
    PC-EU - Eidetic Memory / Codex / Recipes Collector - 57K+ Achievement Points
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't really care about codex entries (I have never farmed leads, have zero mythical items, and probably have stumbled into 5 or so pieces of the squeaky metal mount), the loss of so many purple/gold/orange leads is disheartening. I have had little to no will to play ESO these last days, and that's saying something.

All my leads come from playing the game so when I find one, it actually feels nice. Kind of like an unexpected Christmas present. Collecting so many for grinding another character took a long, long time.

I really, really hope they can restore our leads. But deep down, there's a little voice that tells me they won't bother or will just shrug it off as impossible, sorry!! Grind a few more dozen hours and maybe you'll get them back! And you'll have fun while doing it!

(How am I supposed to remember exactly which ones I had? I'm not gifted with photographic memory, nor do I screenshot everything in the game...)

If we *don't* get them back, I guess it'll be just one more feather in the ridiculously oversized hat called "times ZOS has disappointed ESO players."
  • UtopianWarrior88
    UtopianWarrior88
    ✭✭✭
    I have also lost all my active leads - PC EU.
  • thechiefisback
    thechiefisback
    ✭✭✭
    @thechiefisback PC-EU
    Happened to me too. According to my codex I haven´t finished the deathbringers fete yet although I´m wearing it.

Screenshot-20210825-145008.png

Screenshot-20210825-145843.png

Or the harponers kilt which I als got already
    Edited by thechiefisback on August 25, 2021 1:15PM
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    My codex is back. Don't know if that's from them or pure magical luck granted by the the Techno-Gods. But that's cool.

The ones I found back in the time of the issue are now at 0, with the timing like it's the first time but at least it's only 2 leads, better than losing everything.

unknown.png

EDIT : But now i'm missing 4 blackwood wayshrine in the zone count, even if I have all of them available and the achivement ...
    Edited by ZigoSid on August 26, 2021 5:40AM
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My codex is back. Don't know if that's because of them or pure magical luck granted by the the Techno-Gods but that's cool.

Great news. Quite a significant save by ZOS if true.

Anyone else?
  • Marcelovski
    Marcelovski
    ✭✭✭
    My codex is back. Don't know if that's because of them or pure magical luck granted by the the Techno-Gods but that's cool.

Just checked, mine is still messed up. But that gives me hope they are working on fixing it right now.
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I said, don't know if that's thanks to them or pure luck ^^'
    Edited by ZigoSid on August 26, 2021 5:42AM
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT : But now i'm missing 4 blackwood wayshrine in the zone count, even if I have all of them available and the achivement ...

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/584489/lost-some-exploration-in-blackwood-after-the-update-31

Please post something in this thread, it's going down... but the problem is real.
    I'd like ZOS could read about it

Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lost all my leads... cool cool cool
  • tepav
    tepav
    ✭✭
    [snip] This is really disappointing because on the whole, ZOS seems to be pretty good about NOT stealth fixing things, especially things that impact players in some way. They could have just said "we are fixing the leads so ALL will expire now. So as to not ambush you all with instantly expired leads, we are resetting all timers on leads older than 30 days, so you have a month to get them dug up".

[edited for conspiracy theory]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 3, 2021 10:44AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tepav wrote: »
    [snip]

That third part is an assumption, and in my opinion it doesn't really make much sense, because anyone at ZOS who knew that this change was going to be made would surely know that it wouldn't slip by unnoticed, since everyone who logged in to find that all of their "never expires" blue, purple, gold, and orange leads had suddenly gone poof overnight would definitely notice it and say something about it.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 3, 2021 10:38AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or... or... hear me out here, how about they don't say anything, delete our leads and wipe our codex entries so we can have the privilege of finding those leads all over again to repopulate our codexes?

I mean, my Ancestral Signet entries on the Ring of the Pale Order got wiped... because you can't collect the Pale Order's Golden Band a fourth time (to say nothing of six times), it is literally impossible for me to replace those codex entries.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think digging up the antiquities that were lost in the codex again will mess up their fix? I seem to have only lost 2 entries (thankfully!); the blue treasure in Western Skyrim (lead was active pre-patch) and Noble Knight's Rest (have several already so hadn't dug it up yet)

Edit: I only lost codex entries (they returned to the Hidden Entry in the codex) for the non-green treasure leads that were active.
    Edited by Mix on August 25, 2021 8:02PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem for me on PC NA. There are numerous antiquities of which I have multiples stacked in my warehouse home but new leads many of them show 0 found instead of the typically 4 or 5 found that I actually have. Examples include but are not limited to:
    Eight Star Chandelier
    Ashen Inference Gate
    Greensong Gathering Circle

Yet, at least one (Sacred Chalice of Ysgramoor) seems to accurately reflect the several I have previously excavated.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem for me on PC NA. There are numerous antiquities of which I have multiples stacked in my warehouse home but new leads many of them show 0 found instead of the typically 4 or 5 found that I actually have. Examples include but are not limited to:
    Eight Star Chandelier
    Ashen Inference Gate
    Greensong Gathering Circle

Yet, at least one (Sacred Chalice of Ysgramoor) seems to accurately reflect the several I have previously excavated.

I think the only entries that got borked were the ones where you had an active "never expires" lead that got deleted by the update. I had more than a few of those, and their codex entries and "found" counts all got borked. But as with you, I have other antiquities which still show all codex entries and more than 3 found-- in some cases, as many as 12 found. They are antiquities which either have leads that never expire (green treasures) or I hadn't found any more copies of their leads that I left sitting in my Journal to stop me from getting yet more copies of them every time I turned around.