The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Does Zos listen to its player base?

• Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No they do not listen at all
    I don't remember anyone asking for companions. It's a new world out there..
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they do listen all the time
    I think players get disappointed that their thoughts were not incorporated into the changes or that the developers need to make more changes based on input. That does not mean they do not listen as the developers see a bigger picture, which we cannot see as players, and have to work within a vision.
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on who the "playerbase" is in this context. Just pvp'ers? Just veterans? Or all of us?
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They listen, but they don't always understand.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roztlin45 wrote: »

Took about a minute to find a poll about how companions should be put into the game that was done in 2015. People have been asking for companions almost from day one.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not listen. Never did. They more likely consider it. Consider it how it would be good for Both side. (hahaha, no)

Beside the companions in eso is a literal castrated out version of any companion from other mmos. Currently they are not even good enough to be a decent cannon fodder. The rapport system is a joke, you not reach anything with it. Hell. They wont even say different lines if you have higher rapport or maximum rapport. Just the same "im very confident on your side line"
    But thats it. Nothing more. Not sharing stories, not sweettalking you. Not even can count on them with hey. Grab this or what do you think about our current situation. Cuz yes. Adding comments on your current quest. Even if just main quest. Would add a lot. 4 topic overall on them. No comment

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember laughing when I saw a Youtube interview with Brian and him saying that they 'listen to our players'... when anyone who participates on the PTS KNOWS that they do not!! Only when it's a "bug" do they listen... but if it's pointing out over-nerfing or over-buffing, or how certain changes will cause issues if it goes LIVE... they do not listen, period. PTS is solely for finding bugs, not for people to input their experience with the changes or pointing out how the changes are bad.

ZOS seems to make a decision and moves full steam ahead... and many times I've seen the completely reverse course a couple months later- due to the exact things that were pointed out by players on PTS. So perhaps it my behoove ZOS to take those players input into consideration before allowing bad decisions to reach LIVE.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be at random or it is mere coincidence if they do.

I mean there are some good examples of ZOS listening to player feedback, but for 1 thing that they changed due to player feedback, there 10 things that they did because... why not ? :joy::lol:

Edit: maybe it is because ZOS does not know what feedback is a "good" feedback and what is simply a "nerf demand" disguised as feedback (example nerf WW sorc nb etc.)
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on August 1, 2021 12:12PM
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    You also have to consider that listening to players does not equal doing anything players demand.
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also have to consider that listening to players does not equal doing anything players demand.

Yeah. That would make sense. But do you remember the mael arena weapons fiasco?
    The entire community was enraged, they wanted zos to do it properly. What we got? Nothing. They did not listen at all. What we got is a short answer from B.W. and that was it.

So yeah. As i said earlier they only consider it but never do it. Its basicly the usual we do that what we and that 1% percent of player base who we "support" think is good. Its always like this.

On the rest 99% they only listen to the bug reports and not the game building l.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They listen, but it is a bit like wishing for something with a cursed monkey paw.
    Playing since beta...
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suspect the more accurate answer to the question is more nuanced than the binary option provided. Who knows? But given their communication and behavior, apart from the moderators, it sure feels to me like they don't pay much heed to anything that goes on here.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Togal wrote: »
    Just wondering how much zos listens to its players, please use the poll!

where's the "sometimes" option?
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    "ZOS listens to players" =/= "ZOS does everything the forums suggest"

Some of the things the players ask for are easy and it's completely bizarre that they haven't done it yet since it would make people incredibly happy and is mostly cosmetic. "Please release NPC hairstyles!" "Please give us the hide shoulder option that's in the dev kit!" "Please make more available in the store!"

Some of the things the players ask for aren't trivial and there's a lot of stuff they need to do behind the scenes to get them to work, probably because of spaghetti code. "Please release class change tokens!" "Please release the group mount!"

And then there are the complaints that players think is for the good of the game, when it's really only good for a specific subset of players and will end up disenfranchising others. "Please give us non-DLC random queue!" "Please make everything harder!" "Please nerf this specific class that killed me in PvP!"

ZOS has listened before, but this is not a community-run game. There are some changes they've made for the community though, and there are other changes that they won't do for a reason that we don't know. While it may help if they came down and said why they won't, it won't stop people from claiming "ZOS isn't giving me what I want so they never listen to their playerbase!"

...but if anyone from ZOS is listening, you should totally do the stuff in that first category. I need more cosmetics plz.
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roztlin45 wrote: »

Games been out 6 years, its shown up here and there with people saying its not possible lol
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - they don't listen enough when we are reporting bugs, especially about the ones that have plagued the game for years.
    YES - they listen too closely to the people whining about class X skill Y being overpowered. It's a never ending process.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    They listen, but they don't always understand.

This. They don't always listen to the right people, or understand what truly causes the behaviors they are trying to change, and often it seems one department doesn't communicate with another. Most of all they seem to often have blinders on, and implement solutions that try to address specific comments without understanding unintended consequences. And THEN sometimes the player base can see it but they can't reverse course, and then it looks like they don't listen. **cough PTS Cycles cough**

But they definitely listen and try to act on feedback. Everything from player housing to the reversal of the proposed LA/HA changes shows this.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They listen to the marketing department I believe.
    'So when do you need this DLC update?'
    'In a month!'
    'Oh sheesh'
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They listen some of the time, but mostly to their numbers and significant player backlash.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're a data-driven company like many modern corporations. Those metrics guide a lot of their decisions, especially in the Crown Store. And even recently, I think it was Rich Lambert saying how they look at add-ons for inspiration.

Beyond those, they do listen many of our wants and demands, albeit often in a very delayed fashion. The best example of this is One Tamriel. People were quite vocal early on that this needed a more open experience, with a bigger focus on PVE. Then the game didn't perform well, and then the game changed direction as needed.

Now we have PTS forums here. The impression myself and many others have is that PTS feedback is inconsistently implemented. There's countless examples from Wayshrine placement to the new tutorial. The same feedback then carries on for years, foments here as frustration.

I don't think any reasonable person expects every request here to be honored, but there's a lot of preventable frustration if they'd just recognize pain points earlier rather than sticking to their guns against our wishes.
    Edited by Destai on August 1, 2021 6:47PM
  • Eevee_42
    Eevee_42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect devs to be able to listen to every single request and desire from players. The issue for me is the total lack of communication on highly requested and discussed topics. If there’s a large scale issue for the playerbase, we might get a vague response about it in 6 months (and even that hardly happens). It makes us feel like we aren’t even worth the amount of time it would take them to write a 5 minute explanation. At the end of the day, they mostly care about their small clique of streamer buddies and any outside opinion is ignored. The only thing most of us are to ZOS are dollar signs and statistics.

Side note, I seriously want to know who asked for companions to be the “system” for Blackwood? Anybody?
  • cyberjanet
    cyberjanet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "They listen occasionally after being endless harangued" should have been an option.

They did introduce houseguests, which was something people were asking for on the forums.
    They did introduce jewellery grains into writ rewards to make them more available, though it hasn't helped the pricing much.
    The drop rate for housing materials seems to have improved somewhat, though I would still like recipes for those, converting all my ta runestones into mundane runes, for example.

But they've never fixed the spelling of Hors d'oeuvre (that's the correct spelling, the one they use is so bizarre I have no way to remember it).
    And they still insist that everything should be RNG dependent.
    Favourite NPC: Wine-For-All
    Mostly PC-EU , with a lonely little guy on NA.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they always listen to the forum, and I'm happy with that. No, they don't always follow the forum and I'm happy with that too.

A lot of good ideas have been picked up off the forum, and a lot of bad ones have been ignored. However, that's just my subjective opinion based on my preferred playstyle and I'd far rather they weren't unduly influenced by subjective opinions from a particular viewpoint but combined their vision for the game with a balanced perspective from the players here and elsewhere including ingame metrics.
  • A_Silverius
    A_Silverius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even sure if they listen to themselves tbh.
    BV8Ldxo.png
    All over Tamriel, theres a sudden spike in Bosmers getting caught for their crimes. A sad day indeed... #FightForYourRite Give Bosmers back our stealth!
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    They listen to much I'm afraid.
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Needs a third option, they listen SOMETIMES and admittedly it's a combo of, they listen too much to the PVP cries and not enough to the PVE cries. (With some exceptions on both sides, performance for PVP, some other stuff for PVE)
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WeerW3ir wrote: »

Yeah. That would make sense. But do you remember the mael arena weapons fiasco?
    The entire community was enraged, they wanted zos to do it properly. What we got? Nothing. They did not listen at all. What we got is a short answer from B.W. and that was it.

So yeah. As i said earlier they only consider it but never do it. Its basicly the usual we do that what we and that 1% percent of player base who we "support" think is good. Its always like this.

On the rest 99% they only listen to the bug reports and not the game building l.

That short answer is proof they listen. It wasn't the answer you wanted but it was an answer.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The player base never speaks with one voice, one viewpoint.

If they asked us what shade of red the sunset should be, the answer would include all shades of red, green and purple, some stripes, checks, the odd polka-dots and a fish.

No matter what colour they eventually use, the majority of the player base would probably think they weren't listened to.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    The player base never speaks with one voice, one viewpoint.

If they asked us what shade of red the sunset should be, the answer would include all shades of red, green and purple, some stripes, checks, the odd polka-dots and a fish.

No matter what colour they eventually use, the majority of the player base would probably think they weren't listened to.

You got an awesome for that - gave me a real chuckle, it did! Entirely true too.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other: they kinda do, or at least try to, just many times don't manage to understand the most important parts, and most time the actual change implementation is either not enough or goes way overboard...