The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does Zos listen to its player base?

• Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, it still irks me that ZOS are remarkably uncommunicative on these forums, seemingly preferring just about any other medium you can think of for what customer engagement they do partake in.

Yeah, there's history there. The devs used to be a lot more communicative on the boards. Rich's Twitch name, "Slashlurk," is a reference how he used to sign threads with, "/lurk" to indicate that the contents had caught his attention, and he was reading them. Beyond that, he used to post, Gina and Finn both used to be a lot more responsive on the boards. Wrobel was semi-active somewhere, in one of the subforums, if I remember correctly.

It wasn't an instantaneous change, and you'll still see the rare post from Finn or Brian, but Rich had an AMA thread going. There was a specific user who was being... let's call it, "less than constructive." They badgered him for seven or eight pages, and Rich eventually gave them the infamous quote: "You know you don't have to be here, right?"

That what the trolls wanted. They took screenshots, posted it out of context. Abused the hell out of it to the point that five or six years later, the devs are still reticent to post on the boards.

So, it's unfortunate, but there is history here.

That's deeply unfortunate, and something I had started to suspect.

I have to wonder that it must be frustrating for them to refrain from posting, but it's much safer this way as people won't be able to take their words out of context again. It's the double edged sword of the internet. It's like walking on slippery ice; one wrong step and you could slip. Or worse, fall beneath the ice.

You don't even have to write something that's a mistake either; like with what happened, people will take things out of context and make it LOOK like you made a huge mistake. Hounding you for absolutely no reason. There's been plenty of things that I myself look back on and regret, but I'm relatively anonymous. Except for the devs, who have access to my personal info, the other forum users can't really hunt me down very easily. So it's all the worse for Rich and Gina, as the "witch hunt" has the potential to carry over into their actual real lives.
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    No they do not listen at all
    agegarton wrote: »
    They don’t listen, in fact they often explicitly ignore the player base.

Worse, their communication with the player base is poor and there’s no excuse for that given the wealth of communication channels that are available to them in the 21st century.

There are hundreds of examples of changes that have proved incredibly unpopular, we’re unwanted or unasked for, and equally hundreds of opportunities that have been missed over the years. I suppose the good news is that there are hundreds of things ZoS could do to really engage the player base and add to and improve the game.

Thankfully the game itself is bigger than ZoS. It’s still the best out there - at least for now - and the community is awesome. That’s why I keep playing.

Sadly I have to agree, most recent example I saw is this bugged WB: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/531536/tallatta-the-lustrous-malabal-tor-world-boss-jagged-grotto-leaves-no-loot

FFS they could at least post something along the "we know" line...
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say no they don't too a point mainly a bug will be reported and nothing is ever done to fix and correct that bug ASAP. That doesn't mean right away but 2 or more months later and expecting credit for it doesn't do it, if a bug is reported say ok noted passed along to x person is nice.
    When gross violations of established lore are point out as that a violation of the lore that is established, don't get me wrong a lot of what happened in the 2nd era is not known but Dragons where not in Elswyre at all or mentioned and or talked about at all the official lore of any kind, that doesn't mean the company or the devs are wrong just recognize say yes we did we will do better in the future would also be nice.
    Armor over a very long time the player base has said you all need work on your armor and get it too look better so you add Ancestral armor the community back lashed cause instead of just updating the armor that is in the game already you make it a grind for a set of armor exactly the same as the armor they have with very little change and say do it, bad move there no one in the communality said we want more grind they just said update the look of the armor to actually make sense you added grind to the game. Don't get me wrong how the community reacted was less than kind but at the same time you did it wrong and refused to say sorry and do it right after wards you haven't even added the rest of the Ancestral armor yet even though people already got a look at theme with rule violating ways.
    When the PVP community complained about Cyrodiil being in a state it is in you just company wise ignored the problem instead of addressing the problem better yet you put rewards in the PVP area so that players that want the current grind system of Impresario system have to go PVP with characters not built for it and instead of saying option do you wanna PVP and the player say no or yes you force it with a broken system good job there. I don't mind PVP players i don't PVP so if you stuff what i need in a PVP zone like skyshards dungeons and events and what not i expect to be protected was promised never given a choice for the player to be protected from PVP players would be nice at the same time those that are protected should not have an impact on it and or be Emperor also they can kill the local bad guys but cant do PVP quests like take forts or positions. Most PVE players of reason are not asking make Cyrodiil a PVE only thing but if i cant be protected in a PVP sop i can get what i want from there with out messing up PVP missions like taking forts and taking the city and such then i want PVP to be a no go outside of Cyrodiil or protect me from PVP players but at the same time i will be limited to skyshard events and dungeons participation only nothing PVP.
    The support from so called support staff is so bad i had to fix a crashing with my game after the launch and there answer was update your graphics when i proved it wasn't my GPU CPU or anything it WAS YOUR GAME i had to fix it your game which is sad a player had to fix there game cause you refused to do it yourself, if anyone was wondering it is windows one drive that caused the issue for some reason sad when a product says windows but actually doesn't work with windows. Good job there i even told you support staff that and they said that it was impossible for me to know there product yet i fixed it [snip].
    The community has been talking about how bad the connection with the server is on more than one occasion was never addressed still a major issue yet apparently you made record profits according the twitch release video on the future of ESO not once was we will buy newer and better servers and fix the constant connection issue we have with our customers by investing that money into our business and getting much better equipment as the current stuff isn't working. No you just simply mentioned it and moved on very quickly as to say we did but in truth you didn't.
    I understand the post was long but this is lately just the most recent things that have happened little lone the history that has happened. SO yes they don't listen cause if they did the view of the company from community would be a lot better other than great another update a week of no playing cause the server wont work right. OR another bug no point in posting it, will be ignored never addressed and or fixed at all. Or my favorite great another cheater they say report theme but no point they wont remove him till i at least report that same player 8 times a day for a month before anything is actually done. Or hey i just thought of a good system that would help here and there and make that better but no point in posting it again will be ignored never talked about and never actually tested on the test server to see what the community thinks.
    Till the company changes drastically there treatment of the community probably stay the way it is good ideas never tested and used to actually see what the community says or bugs reported in testing never fixed before launch they just launch it anyway and hope no one notices the bugs.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 9, 2021 1:32PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Previous long post: Yes. I have searched for some bugs and they have been around more than 5 years ago. No response, no fix, nothing. These often come up during events. You think someone would do something about them, but many will post here saying that noting those is unreasonable.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 9, 2021 1:34PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hide from trolls i just ignore theme but still something on that manner would be nice, Previous post had to be long get across what i mean and the proof and history and such and so forth sorry about that.
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes they do listen all the time
    They listen. But do they do as asked? No. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 9, 2021 1:35PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So we are all in a dysfunctional relationship?

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 9, 2021 1:36PM
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes they listen
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭

So we are all in a dysfunctional relationship?

Pretty much lol.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 9, 2021 1:36PM
  • Neugeniko
    Neugeniko
    ✭✭✭
    If it listened it would have a democratically elected player council like eve online. Love the transparency and generally liberal attitude of the devs and players of that game. I keep eve subbed and ESO gets unsubbed periodically cos of all the rng and time gating which gets boring and grindy after a stretch.
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they do, and the Vampire "revamp" was great proof of that.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they do, and the Vampire "revamp" was great proof of that.

There is a lot of examples as to why they don't but very little in way that they do. Take gathering resources so you can grind out the various smiting stuff, an idea of functional mines was brought up and was a good idea a bit all over but could have easily been added and was ignored or the bug list. just to name two right off my the top of my head other than the Vampire revamp.
  • LtClungeX
    LtClungeX
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah they listen, A lot more than they use too but the implementation is poor.

I will say everytime I leave and come back to this game, the quality of life 'in game' always seems better

However the buggy leggy mess that is cyrodill just seem to get worse and worse