The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Multithreaded rendering freezes game

• Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    I get the same. Freezes the game after I click Login. I am on a major potato PC. Play in default Low settings. Looks like it doesn't matter about the settings and other stuff from reading other posts. This option just doesn't work in its current state. Until it does I am leaving it off.
  • step9372
    step9372
    ✭✭✭
    i7-2600K, GTX 1060 6GB

Windowed (Fullscreen) 3840x2160
    pro9l7i91p3w.png
    PC NA. Arrived in Tamriel April 2017. CP2500+. 13 Characters. Housing addict.
  • geodev
    geodev
    ✭✭
    Game still freezes for me on startup, if Multi-threaded render is enabled
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I enabled on my PC with an intel 4790 and RTX 2070 and it hangs after switching from the login page to the loading screen.
    Playing since beta...
  • mbeetley_ESO
    mbeetley_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also having the same freeze problem; it freezes on the load screen after login but before character select. Graphics settings are in the image below. I'm running an Intel i5-4690 (not OC at all) and an NVidia RTX 2070.
    pb3yef71jr7v.png
  • endorphinsplox
    endorphinsplox
    ✭✭✭
    Also having this issue.
    CPU is Ryzen 9 3900x
    GPU - Asus STRIX GTX 980
    32 GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
    Asus TUF X570 Mobo

No overclock.

Running at max settings in 2560 x 1440 resolution.

Going to test the NVIDIA multithread setting to see if that's affecting it.
  • endorphinsplox
    endorphinsplox
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so the NVIDIA Threaded Optimization setting had no effect. Watched my performance at the time of the loading screen freeze and found that GPU usage instantly drops to zero, while network and HDD usage drop to zero as well but sometimes jump a little to 0.1 Mbps and 0.1 MB/s respectively. CPU utilization is hovering around 6% and Memory usage is around 24 MB. Seems like my CPU isn't sending draw calls at all.
  • Ariont
    Ariont
    ✭✭✭
    Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.90 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB
    Graphics Radeon RX 590 8GBytes RAM
    Monitor ASUS VG248 HDMI connection

3decgdrblob8.png

Edited by Ariont on July 22, 2021 6:45AM
  • mickelstein
    mickelstein
    Soul Shriven
    PTS crashes consistently upon login for me also when MTR is enabled.

Running a Ryzen 9 5900x, Nvidia FE 3080 Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 mhz Ram, DOCP enabled, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero x570 MB. No PBO or manual OC applied.

Settings are all at maximum, vsync off, exclusive fullscreen, capped frame rate in user settings to 240, 3840x2160 resolution
    Edited by mickelstein on July 23, 2021 10:20PM
  • jkhsjdhjs
    jkhsjdhjs
    Soul Shriven
    Multithreaded rendering works for me since todays PTS update (https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7345159/#Comment_7345159 ), and it works good, really good.

I tested it a bit by doing the Nightmare Plateau world boss in Northern Elsweyr.
    Without multithreaded rendering my FPS were really unstable, between 40-100FPS, mostly between 50 and 80 FPS.
    With multihreaded rendering my FPS were pretty stable, between 80-100FPS.

I have an i7-6700K and a RX 5700XT and I'm playing with the settings depicted below. I also have to say that I'm playing on Linux, so my FPS without multithreaded rendering are probably a lot more unstable than on Windows. Anyways, for me it's a massive improvement and I can't wait to see this feature getting out of PTS!

yows62de4ase.png
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm it's working for me on "maximum" setting

AMD Ryzen 5600X & AMD 6800 XT

Haven't had a chance to benchmark anything yet though
  • Sidereum
    Sidereum
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I switch from Off to On and then restart the game to apply the changes, once I'm in the game again, it sets itself automatically to "Off" again. Am I doing something wrong?
    PC-EU | @Sidereum
    Favorite race: Imperial
    Favorite class: Warden
    Favorite alliance: Daggerfall Covenant
    Favorite zone: Gold Coast
    Favorite chapter: Blackwood
  • jkhsjdhjs
    jkhsjdhjs
    Soul Shriven
    I also just tested multithreaded rendering on Windows 10, again i7-6700K + RX 5700XT, graphics set to "Maximum", Nightmare Plateau world boss.
    Without multithreaded rendering my FPS were a lot more stable than on Linux, but still ranging from 66-100FPS, 95% of the time they were above 75.
    With multithreaded rendering my FPS were insanely stable, most of the time 100FPS, with occasional drops to 96-99 FPS, with the absolute minimum being 94FPS once.

@Sidereum I did it exactly as you described and it works for me, so unfortunately I don't know what's going on there :/
  • Protoavis73
    Protoavis73
    ✭✭✭
    Working over here.
    Enabled it before logging in and set graphics quality on max.
    Exclusive fullscreen, vsync off, SSGI 2560x1440

Windows 10 21H1
    Intel i8700K
    GTX 1080Ti

Played Dread Cellar until 1st boss, fps looks alright though haven't tested it thoroughly.
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Working here, at max settings, 60+ FPS however still getting a core staying above 95% most of the time. I had GPU and overall CPU tracking as well, and it turns out MSI Afterburner has an issue labeling the graphs properly so it is possible I was seeing overall GPU tracking instead of a core. Here is an updated image with 32 cores performing rather nicely.

9za9v9j5aaaf.png

Edited by Sordidfairytale on July 29, 2021 3:46PM
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Sidereum
    Sidereum
    ✭✭✭
    jkhsjdhjs wrote: »
    @Sidereum I did it exactly as you described and it works for me, so unfortunately I don't know what's going on there :/
    Update: It's working for me too now

Anyway, is Multithreaded Rendering coming exactly with the Waking Flame DLC or much later?
    PC-EU | @Sidereum
    Favorite race: Imperial
    Favorite class: Warden
    Favorite alliance: Daggerfall Covenant
    Favorite zone: Gold Coast
    Favorite chapter: Blackwood
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Question for people who tried this feature: did you monitor your GPU temperature during it? I wonder how much does GPU temperature increase while using this feature.
    Please note if you have this option enabled, you may hear your PC graphics cards working hard during loading screens. This is expected with the framerate now being uncapped during loading.

• Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't want have trouble with graphic cards like this situation with New World, just set hard cap in your graphic card settings. I don't now how it is with AMD, but for Nvidia I set cap in Nvidia Control Panel - I have 144 HZ monitor, so I set cap to 144 fps, because I will never need more and with this value there shouldn't be any disaster. It also saves some energy when you block maximum power of card in situations where it's not needed.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    After a loading screen the framerate panel (/fps) is going down to cap from 384-410 fps :)

Lengthy Lua acition (like sorting a bigger table) still freezes rendering.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want have trouble with graphic cards like this situation with New World, just set hard cap in your graphic card settings. I don't now how it is with AMD, but for Nvidia I set cap in Nvidia Control Panel - I have 144 HZ monitor, so I set cap to 144 fps, because I will never need more and with this value there shouldn't be any disaster. It also saves some energy when you block maximum power of card in situations where it's not needed.

It wasn’t New World itself that caused the problem with the cards; it was what happened to expose a pre-existing fault with their manufacturing.

Setting a frame rate cap or undervolting might indeed help protect your card in case you received a faulty example and could be a good idea especially if you’re out of warranty. If you’re within warranty, however, you might actually want to find out if your card (especially a 3080/3090) has this fault now rather than after the warranty expires.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/evga-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-and-not-only-new-world-when-the-graphics-card-goes-amok-because-of-design-failures/
  • Busted
    Busted
    ✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    Question for people who tried this feature: did you monitor your GPU temperature during it? I wonder how much does GPU temperature increase while using this feature.
    Please note if you have this option enabled, you may hear your PC graphics cards working hard during loading screens. This is expected with the framerate now being uncapped during loading.

I did not notice anything, normal max temps. Got a very nice boost in performance though, hope it hits live soon.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why uncap the frame rate during loading screens? is there some benefit to this?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »

Indeed. I get that some milliseconds can be cut from loading time on SSDs, but really?

Does the nVidia control panel setting "Background Applications Max Frame Rate" have any effect on this ESO setting? Like if I have it at 60fps will the loading screen still have uncapped fps? Does anyone know?
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    majulook wrote: »

Indeed. I get that some milliseconds can be cut from loading time on SSDs, but really?

Does the nVidia control panel setting "Background Applications Max Frame Rate" have any effect on this ESO setting? Like if I have it at 60fps will the loading screen still have uncapped fps? Does anyone know?

https://www.makeuseof.com/nvidias-driver-suite-important-settings/

Background Application Max Frame Rule. Basically, you can set a maximum framerate for an app (a game for example) that only activates if you are tabbed out and no longer playing the game.

In the NVIDIA settings the Max Frame rate setting should have a effect on the game when it is in the focused window, as it has an effect in every other game I have. just be sure to check set it in the Global and the Program area, as the Program one will over ride the Global.

I would like to see more from ZOS as to what setting will effect it. Hopefully there will be couple of changes to the various performance tweak guides shortly after this goes live.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Was this new multithread rendering added to the Mac client? I'm asking because I do not see that new option in the video settings...

No, this is currently only available on PC.

Are we EVER going to get to see it, or is this just the first in the distancing of ESO from us Mac gamers??
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club