The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Midyear Mayhem Achievement broken?

• oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I read through this thread and was disappointed like the rest of you with how this turned out. Then I remembered I've been sitting on a lot of RftW mails after PvPing a lot last weekend because someone here said you may get more transmute geodes if you open one every 24 hours. On a lark, I opened one of those and still made progress on the achievement and opening more allowed me to actually finish the Hand of Whitestrake achievement. I know not everyone will be in this situation, but there is still hope if you have boxes from before the maintenance.
    PC NA
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just an update for this real quick. We were able to fix the content of the boxes with a hotfix, however, the boxes counting towards the achievement will not get a fix before the end of the event. This achievement will still be available for future Midyear Mayhems for those of you who need it. Thank you again for your patience here.

While we appreciate the honesty and transparency, You have an entire event with achievements that players cannot earn in-game. This disenfranchises all of the new players that recently joined for Blackwood and here you are telling them that tough luck try again in 6 months? Very disappointed in Zos here. Again bad PR if you want those new players to stick around once New world and Ashes of creation come out then do better!

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_RichLambert
    Edited by SimonThesis on June 30, 2021 3:13AM
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    I have the achievement on a few characters, but for those who don't have it or who want it on all their characters, you're expecting people to be patient for a year??
    The half a year. The "Midyear" is lost its lore meaning 2 years ago.
  • SirPaws
    SirPaws
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, just an update for this real quick. We were able to fix the content of the boxes with a hotfix, however, the boxes counting towards the achievement will not get a fix before the end of the event. This achievement will still be available for future Midyear Mayhems for those of you who need it. Thank you again for your patience here.

There's got to be a better solution than this, surely? This PVP event is always fraught as people move out of their comfort zones to experience something new, and for many players, Star-Made Knight is a real achievement to be proud of. It represents scaling the learning curve that is PVP, pushing themselves to overcome a huge challenge, and it represents a lot of deaths, ganks in the IC when they only need to cap that one sector, and the frustration of skills not firing in Cyrodiil. They only wanted to Leap with their Stam DKs, not have to slot Dawnbreaker!

I remember I didn't think I'd ever get that Midyear Laurel. I was so chuffed when I did, pumped with adrenaline and hands shaking. It was a great feeling, and what I experienced changed my perspective - I went from fearing PVP to loving it, a true Battleground addict.

If this achievement won't be fixed then that's a real shame for PVP. That feeling of victory and achievement will be denied to so many paying customers who love this game and are willing to forgive the one step forward, two steps back approach to development. Despite the numerous problems this game has right now that need fixing, Midyear Mayhem is still a world of fun and really is the time and place new PVPers are born.

For the love of Alessia, Pelinal and Mor, please rethink this decision.
    Edited by SirPaws on June 30, 2021 5:37AM
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirPaws wrote: »
    If this achievement won't be fixed then that's a real shame for PVP. That feeling of victory and achievement will be denied to so many paying customers who love this game and are willing to forgive the one step forward, two steps back approach to development. Despite the numerous problems this game has right now that need fixing, Midyear Mayhem is still a world of fun and really is the time and place new PVPers are born.

Well stated!

The barriers to entry will always be highest for PvP, not because of anything wrong with the game, but for the exact reasons Sir Paws just articulated. Beautifully, I might add.

PvP in this game is different from most of the other MMOs on offer, but that's a GOOD thing. Using a timing/resource management model versus a cooldown-based system makes ESO dynamic in a way that few other games can lay claim to. Now, we DO have issues with lag and performance. But people love this thing so much, that they're willing to put up with it. And that says something.

The LAST thing we want is for some simplistic quality of life thing like this to look like an insurmountable obstacle for the devs. Make it happen, guys. It'll be REAL good PR.
    Edited by milesrodneymcneely2_ESO on June 30, 2021 5:44AM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oterWitz wrote: »
    Okay, I read through this thread and was disappointed like the rest of you with how this turned out. Then I remembered I've been sitting on a lot of RftW mails after PvPing a lot last weekend because someone here said you may get more transmute geodes if you open one every 24 hours. On a lark, I opened one of those and still made progress on the achievement and opening more allowed me to actually finish the Hand of Whitestrake achievement. I know not everyone will be in this situation, but there is still hope if you have boxes from before the maintenance.

The fix for RftW mails is not retroactive. I.e., mails that you had already received prior to the hotfix all contained the old boxes, and the hotfix does not update the contents of those mails. Since the bug with the achievement was not fixed, new boxes are not recognized by the achievement, but old boxes that were earned prior to the hotfix are still recognized.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirPaws wrote: »

There's got to be a better solution than this, surely? This PVP event is always fraught as people move out of their comfort zones to experience something new, and for many players, Star-Made Knight is a real achievement to be proud of. It represents scaling the learning curve that is PVP, pushing themselves to overcome a huge challenge, and it represents a lot of deaths, ganks in the IC when they only need to cap that one sector, and the frustration of skills not firing in Cyrodiil. They only wanted to Leap with their Stam DKs, not have to slot Dawnbreaker!

I remember I didn't think I'd ever get that Midyear Laurel. I was so chuffed when I did, pumped with adrenaline and hands shaking. It was a great feeling, and what I experienced changed my perspective - I went from fearing PVP to loving it, a true Battleground addict.

This. I never PvP. IC is as close to PvPing as I ever got for the entire 3 years I've played and I only went there for the Timbercrow costume. I decided this year to work on doing the acheivements for the Laurel and I waited all year till the Midyear event dropped. I was actually starting to enjoy myself a little in Cyro but I'm still only doing PvP stuff for the acheivements. If one of those is basically made impossible to get then what's the point of continueing the acheivement hunting... I'll pretty much only be doing the quests for the tickets now and nothing extra because it's useless to do anything extra if the rewards don't count.
  • TheDreamstride

Day by day I'm losing hope in this game. I've been really excited to get the title and everything else is ready save for this specific achievement. Now we're being casually told that we can just get it next year? Damn ZoS, this is a mess at this point.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like they've hotfixed the second bug. I just got progress on my box achievement on my new character.

Update: Looks like it's broken again. That was strange, because I definitely advanced that achievement earlier this afternoon and even have the timestamp on reaching the 10-box milestone to prove it. But then it stopped advancing with new boxes that I acquired a few hours later. I guess they fixed it and then rolled back the fix for some reason?
    Edited by code65536 on June 30, 2021 9:18PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just extend the event by a week or two so that they have enough time to fix it? I remember one year we had a halloween event that lasted 3-4 weeks long because of an issue, why not here too?

I'm sure everyone would appreciate having more chances to earn tickets and I'm sure the PVPers would LOVE to have their extra AP go longer....
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »
    Why not just extend the event by a week or two so that they have enough time to fix it? I remember one year we had a halloween event that lasted 3-4 weeks long because of an issue, why not here too?

Because the Halloween event is a PvE event, no other reason. I know it sounds cynical, but it's true. ZOS' is fully committed to PvE. PvP seems like an inconvenient after thought for them. I'd happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by The_Lex on June 30, 2021 7:47PM
  • UnkindnessOfRavens
    UnkindnessOfRavens
    ✭✭✭

* No guarantees that there won't be additional bugs that prevent you from getting the achievement in the future.
  • JaySeg75
    JaySeg75
    Soul Shriven
    The wrath of the whitestrake achievement isn't working either. I just did 3 battlegrounds and none of my kills registered toward the achievement. Its stuck at 33/50.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's... not okay.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've extended events in the past when achievements have been broken, it's really disappointing that their response now is just get it next time.
    PS4 EU
  • Orange_fire_dragon
    Orange_fire_dragon
    ✭✭✭

So basically GG GO NEXT! .... in 6 months or more. If the achievement gets fixed then.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    PSA everyone, this was quietly fixed again as I just made advancement from a RtfW mail earned tonight. It may get reverted again but the achievement is temporarily working!
    PC NA
  • Miragent
    Miragent
    ✭✭✭
    JaySeg75 wrote: »
    The wrath of the whitestrake achievement isn't working either. I just did 3 battlegrounds and none of my kills registered toward the achievement. Its stuck at 33/50.

Interesting. I'm trying to get Pit Hero achievement, and after the Monday "hotfix" or should i say hotbreak my BG kill count is stuck at 792/1000, and no new kills are added to the achievement tracker. As a MYM only PVPer, I was looking forward to finally unlocking that dye during the event. Very unamused.
    Edited by Miragent on July 2, 2021 12:15PM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miragent wrote: »

Interesting. I'm trying to get Pit Hero achievement, and after the Monday "hotfix" or should i say hotbreak my BG kill count is stuck at 792/1000, and no new kills are added to the achievement tracker. As a MYM only PVPer, I was looking forward to finally unlocking that dye during the event. Very unamused.

No actually the Pit Hero achievement has been bugged for a while. Last year I got kills in BG that didn't go towards it (Mostly in Crazy King and Chaosball). I think the hotfix only made it buggier so that the other BG (Domination and Relic) ALSO give no progress towards Pit Hero.
  • Orange_fire_dragon
    Orange_fire_dragon
    ✭✭✭
    PSA everyone, this was quietly fixed again as I just made advancement from a RtfW mail earned tonight. It may get reverted again but the achievement is temporarily working!

I hear this achievement functions on EU servers but not on NA. At least pc servers wise.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piraja27 wrote: »

I hear this achievement functions on EU servers but not on NA. At least pc servers wise.

It did not advance for me on PC/EU.
    Edited by code65536 on July 3, 2021 12:34AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to mention how many event days partially lost due to patches and hotfixes? But they can't be bothered to extend it.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right thing to do would just be to set the achievement complete for players and then worry about next Midyear's.

You must have missed the post where ZOS tried to set an achievement as complete and completely deleted the players character instead?

howaboutno.jpg
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Piraja27 wrote: »

What? Nothing in that game work.
    Even worse yesterday me and my wife we encounter stamina recovery problem :D:D
    Right thing to do would just be to set the achievement complete for players and then worry about next Midyear's.

No no no no no, no thank you do not touch anything on my acc i don't want to lose anything.
    Just how Jaraal said, look there ....

Edited by davidtk on July 3, 2021 4:29AM
    Really sorry for my english
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well that's disappointing
    code65536 wrote: »
    It looks like they've hotfixed the second bug. I just got progress on my box achievement on my new character.

Update: Looks like it's broken again. That was strange, because I definitely advanced that achievement earlier this afternoon and even have the timestamp on reaching the 10-box milestone to prove it. But then it stopped advancing with new boxes that I acquired a few hours later. I guess they fixed it and then rolled back the fix for some reason?

I had the same thing happen, it advanced three boxes, but I don't know from where. Thought maybe it was from battleground quests, but who knows.

Was like that for me, get kills in battle grounds, no progress. Then an hour later in Cyrodiil, it suddenly pops for all this credit.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

You must have missed the post where ZOS tried to set an achievement as complete and completely deleted the players character instead?

howaboutno.jpg

Other way round, they tried to revert an achievement... and the character was corrupted.
  • Spidder81
    Spidder81
    ✭✭✭
    So half the Midyear Mayhem achievements are broken for me yet despite that, the devs answer is wait until next year? Why do I play this game again?
    Edited by Spidder81 on July 3, 2021 5:39PM
    I used to be an adventurer..........
  • Miragent
    Miragent
    ✭✭✭
    Miragent wrote: »

No actually the Pit Hero achievement has been bugged for a while. Last year I got kills in BG that didn't go towards it (Mostly in Crazy King and Chaosball). I think the hotfix only made it buggier so that the other BG (Domination and Relic) ALSO give no progress towards Pit Hero.

For me, Pit Hero progress worked in all modes (I think) until Monday "hotfix". Since then, progress towards all other achievements works and counts, except Pit Hero - the one achievement I covet. Funny, I even got the Merciless title this week, so kills do get acknowledged, just not for Pit Hero.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spidder81 wrote: »
    So half the Midyear Mayhem achievements are broken for me yet despite that, the devs answer is wait until next year? Why do I play this game again?

They're too busy working on new content to fix current content. Remember how they said they thought their schedule might be a little too ambitious and they should probably scale back all the new stuff so they can work on making the old stuff run correctly? Yeah, neither do they.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thank Sarah for keeping us in the loop. She doesn't make the decisions regarding Zenimax's response, and I don't want anyone (especially her) to think my next statement is directed at her.

This is a level of cartoonish disregard for the playerbase that actually made me laugh irl. Grats. I'll be a little more careful with my money in the foreseeable future on ESO. Not keen on having an issue and being told I can get it "next time".
    Edited by DocFrost72 on July 5, 2021 5:51AM