The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nerfed Companions? Opinion poll!

coop500
coop500
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Edit #2: For people not sure what I'm talking about, check the patch notes here for companions: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/573449/pts-patch-notes-v7-0-3#latest

Hello all! So, I've been following companions very closely and it was something I was SO hopeful about for a number of reasons. The main being I was hoping they could help me solo some normal dungeons for the story.

Needless to say, when I tested them on the PTS I was rather disappointed, but still hopeful because it was the first week of the PTS and the first time they tackled anything like this so I figured they were just trying to find that sweet spot between not wanting to replace players entirely (good idea, pls don't) but making them not a hindrance or pointless.

Here we are in patch 7.0.3 and their response is... to nerf them. TO NERF THEM?! Sure, they adjusted their AI a little, but the nerfs are a bit heavy.
However, I generally felt that it was in a 100% agreement among the playerbase that they're too weak and useless for anything beyond overland and almost nobody needs them in overland. (Not even my mom, who just started playing like two weeks ago.)

But with these changes, I'm wondering if maybe I've just seen the minority? Do people really think they were overpowered? That's what the poll is for. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on companions in one collected area, based on the new patch notes.

Do you think the nerfs were justified?

Edit: Sorry, poll was supposed to be anonymous but I was getting terrorized IRL and forgot to click the box before posting.
Edited by coop500 on May 10, 2021 4:37PM
Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?

Nerfed Companions? Opinion poll! 232 votes

Yes, they were overpreforming
2%
Marcus_ThraciusBrodsonccfeelingStyxiusthe1andonlyskwexnesakinter 6 votes
No! They're already weak.
71%
SirAndyBlueRavenGilvothvailjohn_ESOMoloch1514k9mousePinesyOakmontowls_ESOdave_harter_ESOCaligamy_ESOBelegnoleGedericKesstrylKadoozyDarcyMardintspecherb14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESODracaneAzuryaRudal 166 votes
Those skills needed a nerf but they need to be buffed in other ways.
3%
CaffeinatedMayhemjrgray93martijnlv40nadrokalMashmalloManrobprACamaroGuy 7 votes
Other
3%
TessituraElvenheartNeKryXedPilgrimParasaurolophusnewtinmplsSanctum74Toxic_Hemlock 8 votes
I don't care about companions I just came to see the results.
19%
NirntrotterSaroussemareeelb16_ESOApoAlaiaWolfpawSorakadarvariaAsysPhaedrynZorgon_The_Revengedredspecter23Derracode65536ceironCadburyxericdxThe_LexPuzzlenutsmeekmikoGreasytengu 45 votes
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They got a nerf? lol

What use are they going to be? sorry to be "that guy" but they were already semi-useless as it was.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    They got a nerf? lol

What use are they going to be? sorry to be "that guy" but they were already semi-useless as it was.

Yeah, just read the patchnotes and a good handful of their skills got flat out nerfed with no buffs to anything except bug fixes and slight AI adjustments that we, IMO, probably won't hardly notice.
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The improved dodge rolling is another attempt to make companions quasi-useful (like the block changes last week) but it doesn't address the real problem: companions absolutely melt if a wet noodle touches them. Companions NEED innate damage mitigation, especially AoE mitigation.

And now nerfs to their skills? No one thinks they were too powerful. The constant feedback on the PTS forum has been begging for buffs, or at least make it so they don't die on literally every fight.

I signed up for a forum account after years of playing just to give ZOS feedback on companions and to call for improvements. I want them to succeed because I think companions are neat. But in their current state they are laughable in combat and serve little more than roleplaying purposes. Sadly I think this is one of those things that will go to live, the entire ESO community will be upset at how squishy and lame companions turned out to be, then maybe we will finally get some improvements in Q3 or Q4.

Edited by NoxiousBlight on May 10, 2021 5:19PM
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They got nerfed on the few things I found use in, what a joke. They really are just going to be cannon fodder when this goes live aren't they?
  • supermr
    supermr
    I don't understand why these partners are here. The fact that I could have killed solo myself, I'll kill them anyway, and they'll only get in the way, because I have to keep an eye on them now. The fact that I can't go solo , I can't go with them..

I do not understand why these partners who are stupid and who are cut up)
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dead-on-arrival gimmick
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you make the companion key content change in a chapter, but:

- Make companions liability rather than a strength in combat (Despite feedback)
    - Dont unlock Helmets, skins, polymorphs and personalities on Companions (Despite demand)
    - Dont listen, respond or even acknowledge PTS Feedback (Not surprising given previous Chapter PTS's)

Don't be surprised when the chapter doesn't perform well at launch in terms of sales and your revenue falls.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also from the patch notes:
    Fixed an issue that could cause Companion armor to not provide the expected damage mitigation.

Has anyone tested how their damage mitigation is now on the latest patch?
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    Also from the patch notes:
    Fixed an issue that could cause Companion armor to not provide the expected damage mitigation.

Has anyone tested how their damage mitigation is now on the latest patch?

Can't yet, the PTS is still down I believe?

Edit: Nevermind it's up!
    Edited by coop500 on May 10, 2021 5:01PM
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Honestly I don’t even care how weak or strong they are if they can’t even step on a pressure plate.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    Honestly I don’t even care how weak or strong they are if they can’t even step on a pressure plate.

Or pull a lever, it is depressing.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ._.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • KeiRaikon
    KeiRaikon
    ✭✭✭
    It just really disheartening to see that none of are feedback is ever really taken into account. I'm hoping that in the Q3 and Q4 patches they will do some balance reworks for companions because I doubt anything will happen in the last weeks PTS patch but I'm not hopeful.

The Vampire changes in Greymoor were pretty much universally disliked and tons of feedback was given and now going into the next years patch they still have not really changed anything about the skill line so I'm worried about them not making changes to companions but maybe because they are the Chapter "Feature" where as the Vampire line was a base game update they will actually listen to feedback... eventually.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Question?
    Why are we even doing PTS when they do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what players say and post in feedback? Not the first time as we all know, but I had to throw in my 2 Drakes on this!
    I was kinda hyped about companions. Tested them both but mostly with Mirri. I even have a list of opinions and feedback about them.
    Well, I just tore it up after reading new Patchnotes as they went totally the other way.
    Now, with nerfs, they will be totally worthless in dungeons, etc, and probably not even worth having in overland fighting.
    They cant carry there own stuff. The don't have the customization that was hyped at during release promos.

Basically, this chapter is starting to look like ZoS's version of last season of GoT.
    Very disappointing and underwhelming. Makes me sad.
    But, we will have a new "People Pet" to follow us around!

Just my 2 drakes!! Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Question?
    Why are we even doing PTS when they do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what players say and post in feedback? Not the first time as we all know, but I had to throw in my 2 Drakes on this!
    I was kinda hyped about companions. Tested them both but mostly with Mirri. I even have a list of opinions and feedback about them.
    Well, I just tore it up after reading new Patchnotes as they went totally the other way.
    Now, with nerfs, they will be totally worthless in dungeons, etc, and probably not even worth having in overland fighting.
    They cant carry there own stuff. The don't have the customization that was hyped at during release promos.

Basically, this chapter is starting to look like ZoS's version of last season of GoT.
    Very disappointing and underwhelming. Makes me sad.
    But, we will have a new "People Pet" to follow us around!

Just my 2 drakes!! Huzzah!

I agree, I took the time to fill out my feedback in the feedback thread for companions, following their form to a T, mine and just about every other player that posted there all said the same dang thing.

THEY ARE WORTHLESS IN COMBAT

As I said in the OP, my 58 year old mother started playing ESO and she can do overland content just fine. It's a perfect balance for her aging hands though a little harder wouldn't be bad, especially since I made us both two full sets of gear, but any easier and it'd just be boring for her probably. We were both hoping to however do normal dungeons together, with me, her and both of our companions make 4.

NOBODY needs help with overland, sure maybe some extra damage on a tank build could help, but I kinda question their usefulness even then. And in terms of helping new players.... how? It takes SO LONG to grind them into their worthless best selves, I can't imagine how worthless they are at level 1.
    Edited by coop500 on May 10, 2021 5:25PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Their whole conception of companions is just WAY over-developed. It's like they've decided to design these things in the least appealing way possible. It's hard to imagine how anyone will find these things useful and worth the effort. Again, just reskin the sorc pets and call it a day. :/
  • Tessitura
    Tessitura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I think companions are a dumb addition to this game anyway. Especially such a half baked ass system as what we are getting. This takes more of the mm out of the mmo. I dont think a nerf is a bad thing. Anything that keeps players running in groups is a good thing to me.
    Edited by Tessitura on May 10, 2021 5:34PM
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about companions I just came to see the results.
    I still think we will see companion stuff added to the CP trees.
  • Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not the type to complain about something before I've had a chance to test the companions after today's PTS update. Beside I prefer to hold my finial judgment on companions until after they go live.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tessitura wrote: »
    I think companions are a dumb addition to this game anyway. Especially such a half baked ass system as what we are getting. This takes more of the mm out of the mmo. I dont think a nerf is a bad thing. Anything that keeps players running in groups is a good thing to me.

Ya. They always seems to be the last gasp of a dying MMO to me. But they usually showed up in MMO's where grouping was required because content was too hard to solo (thinking Everquest), to allow newer players starting in underpopulated zones to catch up. I guess the eso analog would be Dragons in Elsweyr or Harrowstorms in W. Skyrim, if the zone is empty you can't even do them.

Nothing is ESO is very difficult, and only a limited amount of content can't be soloed easily.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We could've had a potential new class but we got this :D lul
  • crjs1
    crjs1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could get some more detailed explanation from ZOS about thier vision for companions. At the moment they are frankly useless. They have extremely low DPS, no survivability and levelling/equipment is a horrific grind.

And instead of buffs during PTS we get minor ai tweaks (not making any difference to them standing in the red)… and nerfs to skills. Really what is the purpose of PTS if feedback is not acted on or even acknowledged?

It’s not even like the PTS feedback is mixed or conflicting. There has been virtually unanimous consensus that companions are too weak both in dps and thier ability to stay alive.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is probably why companion healing was nerfed, an elite youtuber and theory crafter was able to get some decent heals out of his companion. The trouble is, most of us non-elites won't be able to do this. The game really is being tweaked for the top 1%.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nTM4tOL6UAw
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That being said, I stopped playing a year ago because of all the nerfs and how it hurt my progression team, and my own ability to do vet content, particularly with tanking. I've been checking here each PTS cycle to find out if there ever might be a time when the nerfs will stop, and something good comes along that might help me, and I can finally come home to ESO. I hoped companions might add back some of what was taken from me, at least while soloing, but nope, this is not the patch that's going to convince me that I can come back and enjoy the game. When I see all that has been lost over the years, and how not fun the game is anymore, it's so sad. We are not allowed to have good things, especially us who are not elite players who's progression has been slapped back over and over and over. I'm not motivated to come back to this train wreck.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, they don't really listen and understand :D
    Edited by DreadDaedroth on May 10, 2021 8:42PM
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    coop500 wrote: »
    Yeah, just read the patchnotes and a good handful of their skills got flat out nerfed with no buffs to anything except bug fixes and slight AI adjustments that we, IMO, probably won't hardly notice.
    Perhaps you can provide a direct quote to what you consider a nerf. I literally just re-read the patch notes and see nothing that I would consider a nerf.

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a shame to hear. I was hoping companions would be similar to the way they are in SWTOR — they are their own characters with their own stories, etc., but you have some options for their appearance, they level with the player (not separately) and can use standard gear. Most important, they can actually be useful while still be inferior to another player in the group.

Now with the complexity of gear sets in ESO, maybe that would be too much to have sets with conditions or calculations on companions (in SWTOR armor was purely stat based). I feel like it would be nice to have some decent craftable companion gear options. Having to find special gear AND have to level them seems a bit much, but for all that they should then certainly be useful in combat!
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    Perhaps you can provide a direct quote to what you consider a nerf. I literally just re-read the patch notes and see nothing that I would consider a nerf.

Decreased the healing received bonus from Basalt Barrier to 15% from 20%.
    Reduced the Spell and Physical Resistance granted from Mending Incantation to 7,000 from 10,000.
    Reduced the healing from Rejuvenation by 33%.
    Decreased the Light and Heavy Attack bonus from Searing Weapons to 15% from 20%.
    Twilight Mantle now causes Mirri to stay in stealth for 3 seconds, down from 6 seconds.
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Pick one:
    - Decreased the healing received bonus from Basalt Barrier to 15% from 20%.
    - Reduced the Spell and Physical Resistance granted from Mending Incantation to 7,000 from 10,000.
    - Reduced the healing from Rejuvenation by 33%.
    - Decreased the Light and Heavy Attack bonus from Searing Weapons to 15% from 20%.
    - Twilight Mantle now causes Mirri to stay in stealth for 3 seconds, down from 6 seconds.

Compared to that there is not a single skill mentioned that got its cooldown reduced or effect increased in any way.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »
    Greetings,

Pick one:
    - Decreased the healing received bonus from Basalt Barrier to 15% from 20%.
    - Reduced the Spell and Physical Resistance granted from Mending Incantation to 7,000 from 10,000.
    - Reduced the healing from Rejuvenation by 33%.
    - Decreased the Light and Heavy Attack bonus from Searing Weapons to 15% from 20%.
    - Twilight Mantle now causes Mirri to stay in stealth for 3 seconds, down from 6 seconds.

Compared to that there is not a single skill mentioned that got its cooldown reduced or effect increased in any way.

Exactly, if some stuff was buffed to make up for these nerfs I'd be fine with it, but it's just bugfixes and nerfs.