Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 30 - Feedback Thread for Companions

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The REAL PROBLEM with companions:
    Instead of HELPING players, players need to HELP COMPANIONS.

So instead that people can bring companions to help them in difficult content
    WHICH IS WHAT ZOS PROMISED IN PREVIEWS
    players have to BABYSIT companions and can use them only in stuff they can SOLO anyway.

So what is the selling point with companions?
    Is it fun that players have to carry their gear?
    Is it fun that players have to grind their gear?
    Is it fun that players have to grind guild quests to make them happy?
    Is it fun to have a Tamagotchi companion in ESO?

What would I give to get my SKYRIM companion in ESO.
    She could carry her own gear.
    She could stand her ground and helped me in fights.
    I did not have to do stupid quests just to make her happy.
    She was the kind of tough girl I really liked. Not a stupid Tamagotchi.

Well, they ARE 'companions' after all... so why should it be that they only help US, and not a cooperative friendship? It reminds me of real life, where you have some people who only take in a friendship, and never give. I imagine early on, the reality is, YES... we will have to offer more support to our companions than the other way around. But once fully leveled and outfitted with the right top level gear/traited to their specific role, I think they will be a bit more helpful to us. A lot also depends on how we build our companions as well... ranged or melee are huge survivability factors as is what abilities do we slot for them. Expect early on to be only slotting defensive/self-healing abilities (unless you have a class that can also group heal)... but later on, be able to spec them with a one or two damage abilities.

As for carrying their gear, I'm hoping they will be changing this in the future, but we really shouldn't be needing to carry tons of gear except for those who are hoarders. I'm hoping we can put companion gear in chests or bank, otherwise I'll have to create a 'companion alt' who can hold companion gear.

Grind for gear? Why the rush? That's a choice, not a necessity. Companions are meant to be utilized over a long period of time, meaning, we should be able to acquire gear over time just doing quests, delves, and public dungeons.

I don't recall them saying we could bring them into 'difficult content'... I believe they mentioned they would help players who had social anxieties to hopefully become more comfortable with dungeons so as to eventually want to play with others. I've heard that companions can work well in regular group dungeons (without switches), but that's only after they're fully leveled with BIS gear. ZOS never said everything could be done right away, or even in the first month or two, but if you put enough time and effort into companions, then yes, eventually you could probably bring them into many normal group dungeons solo. But they are NOT 'players', they will need to be babysat and helped at times, but then again, isn't that the same as many players today too?!?

Oh, and keep in mind, SKYRIM was a SOLO game... and if done like a Skyrim companion, they WOULD be used to replace players... and that's exactly what ZOS doesn't want.

I'm very OK with companions as they are. Being a solo player, it will be nice to have an NPC companion to plod through quests with, while also being able to customize them. Honestly, I do not NEED a companion to help me fight, I can solo most content being a Magplar with decent CP... so a companion for me is more just an added bit of fun for questing and RP. Also as a Magplar, I can help heal my companion along the way without effort... but I also know that it will be quite some time before I can take them into more difficult content and will have to build them specifically for survivability for weeks/months before being able to spec them more for damage after gaining BIS gear.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From ESO Live today - no patch on Monday. We just have to see what goes live.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

players have to BABYSIT companions and can use them only in stuff they can SOLO anyway.

Well, they ARE 'companions' after all... so why should it be that they only help US, and not a cooperative friendship? It reminds me of real life, where you have some people who only take in a friendship, and never give. I imagine early on, the reality is, YES... we will have to offer more support to our companions than the other way around. But once fully leveled and outfitted with the right top level gear/traited to their specific role, I think they will be a bit more helpful to us. A lot also depends on how we build our companions as well... ranged or melee are huge survivability factors as is what abilities do we slot for them. Expect early on to be only slotting defensive/self-healing abilities (unless you have a class that can also group heal)... but later on, be able to spec them with a one or two damage abilities.

As for carrying their gear, I'm hoping they will be changing this in the future, but we really shouldn't be needing to carry tons of gear except for those who are hoarders. I'm hoping we can put companion gear in chests or bank, otherwise I'll have to create a 'companion alt' who can hold companion gear.

Grind for gear? Why the rush? That's a choice, not a necessity. Companions are meant to be utilized over a long period of time, meaning, we should be able to acquire gear over time just doing quests, delves, and public dungeons.

I don't recall them saying we could bring them into 'difficult content'... I believe they mentioned they would help players who had social anxieties to hopefully become more comfortable with dungeons so as to eventually want to play with others. I've heard that companions can work well in regular group dungeons (without switches), but that's only after they're fully leveled with BIS gear. ZOS never said everything could be done right away, or even in the first month or two, but if you put enough time and effort into companions, then yes, eventually you could probably bring them into many normal group dungeons solo. But they are NOT 'players', they will need to be babysat and helped at times, but then again, isn't that the same as many players today too?!?

Oh, and keep in mind, SKYRIM was a SOLO game... and if done like a Skyrim companion, they WOULD be used to replace players... and that's exactly what ZOS doesn't want.

I'm very OK with companions as they are. Being a solo player, it will be nice to have an NPC companion to plod through quests with, while also being able to customize them. Honestly, I do not NEED a companion to help me fight, I can solo most content being a Magplar with decent CP... so a companion for me is more just an added bit of fun for questing and RP. Also as a Magplar, I can help heal my companion along the way without effort... but I also know that it will be quite some time before I can take them into more difficult content and will have to build them specifically for survivability for weeks/months before being able to spec them more for damage after gaining BIS gear.

Rich Lambert literally said in a media interview that companions will help him and his wife duo a group dungeon. So he put it out there that these were to help with harder than overland content.

https://happymag.tv/elder-scrolls-online-rich-lambert-interview/
    Edited by Moloch1514 on May 21, 2021 10:52PM
    PC-NA
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    Rich Lambert literaly said in a media interview that companions will help him and his wife duo a group dungeon. So he put it out there that these were to help with harder than overland content.

I'm glad you posted that, hopefully HE remembers everything he said and fulfills those verbal viewpoints.

However, many people can already solo group dungeons anyway, and he never did say at what level and with what gear one could do so with companions. He also didn't specific WHICH dungeons, because obviously you cannot duo w/companions any dungeon that requires switches and specific mechanics.

But I do agree, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. ZOS has always been big on promises and failed to deliver on many of them over the years... companions, if pushed to Live as they are will just be another one of them. Not just with their extremely poor survivability, but also the fiasco of inventory management they will be creating... along with the obscene gear grind.

I also wonder, did he do this interview BEFORE they nerfed companions due to 'fear' by players of companions replacing them in content?!? Hmmmmmm.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert literaly said in a media interview that companions will help him and his wife duo a group dungeon. So he put it out there that these were to help with harder than overland content.

I'm glad you posted that, hopefully HE remembers everything he said and fulfills those verbal viewpoints.

However, many people can already solo group dungeons anyway, and he never did say at what level and with what gear one could do so with companions. He also didn't specific WHICH dungeons, because obviously you cannot duo w/companions any dungeon that requires switches and specific mechanics.

But I do agree, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. ZOS has always been big on promises and failed to deliver on many of them over the years... companions, if pushed to Live as they are will just be another one of them. Not just with their extremely poor survivability, but also the fiasco of inventory management they will be creating... along with the obscene gear grind.

I also wonder, did he do this interview BEFORE they nerfed companions due to 'fear' by players of companions replacing them in content?!? Hmmmmmm.

I'm actually expecting that many of these "issues" will be fixed in the q4 last chapter expansion. Probably as companion bag merchants and gear upgrade stations. These are way too big of oversights in planning for someone in design not to have thought of them. The survivability will probably get tuned up some after release with a content creator push explaining ZOS listened to our feedback on live. That way they will be able to get the second harvest of sales for Blackwood and will only have to do a little tinkering.
    There's a sales technique called the big ask. Basically it is when you offer something totally ridiculous at first so when "you settle" you get about what you already wanted. If they released them functional then there would still be those wanting more and less from the companions. And no matter what they did it would still make 1 faction unhappy. By making both unhappy at the start they can find an acceptable middle. At least I hope that's what they are doing. Cause if not there are way worse problems at ZOS then server lag.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »

Don't forget that companions will even leave you for doing any gameplay that they don't like.

That's not the case. They'll leave if you reach the lowest level of rapport, which would require doing a whole lot of things they don't like and very little of what they do like.

In the course of normal gameplay, you'll just get scolded for doing things they don't like, but they won't walk out on you for every little offense.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich Lambert literally said in a media interview that companions will help him and his wife duo a group dungeon. So he put it out there that these were to help with harder than overland content.

There is a HUGE difference between game developers playing the game and ordinary players doing this.
    Devs can summon any equipment (Companions gear), any level they want them to be,
    so grinding for gear, rapport, levelling is non-existing for them. They don't care how do we store that Companions gear.
    Same is about nerfing players characters with 400+ skillpoints - YOU have connection with your characters you spent that much time to progress. Devs can make whatever character in a few minutes, so nerfs are something normal for them.

We talk about two different universes. Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.
    PC EU
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually got thinking about this... if you really read into it, this tells us what Rich really thinks about playing with ESO players. I mean, if even he is looking for ways to avoid other players and not use ESO's matching system... hmmmmm.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Don't forget that companions will even leave you for doing any gameplay that they don't like.

That's not the case. They'll leave if you reach the lowest level of rapport, which would require doing a whole lot of things they don't like and very little of what they do like.

In the course of normal gameplay, you'll just get scolded for doing things they don't like, but they won't walk out on you for every little offense.

There's still no real reason to include that. Just another annoyance of you're farming or something and they dislike it.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's still no real reason to include that. Just another annoyance of you're farming or something and they dislike it.

I think they are trying to make the Companions as realistic as possible- as in giving them their own personalities, likes/dislikes, etc. However, in the real world, we have more options as for the people we hang around- and it's usually people who share our interests. So in reality, you are correct, that this is more of an annoyance than "fun"... it would be more fun if we had a lot more options of the Companions we wanted to hang out with, instead of being stuck with those who dislike many features in the game.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭

I think they are trying to make the Companions as realistic as possible- as in giving them their own personalities, likes/dislikes, etc. However, in the real world, we have more options as for the people we hang around- and it's usually people who share our interests. So in reality, you are correct, that this is more of an annoyance than "fun"... it would be more fun if we had a lot more options of the Companions we wanted to hang out with, instead of being stuck with those who dislike many features in the game.

Pardon the pun. It wouldn't bug me so much with the dislikes, but TORCHBUGS????? Really? Does Mirri not understand how much stacks of torchbug thorax goes for on the guild merchants? Even though it lasts for 2hours I seem to go through a lot of dubious camaron throne. She's gonna have to start paying for them, if she doesn't want me farming them, that's all I'm saying.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did some testing tonight and I can tell they have been tinkering with companion performance behind the scenes. I pushed Mirri pretty hard in the encounters I did and she survived much more often then I did. I deliberately did encounters that had adds and random aoes and she didn't just stand in stupid and die. Either that or she healed through them, I was a little preoccupied to pay close attention, point is she lived. I'm still not thrilled about what is going to cost me to gear her up but as critical as I've been, I also want to say when I found good news.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »
    I did some testing tonight and I can tell they have been tinkering with companion performance behind the scenes. I pushed Mirri pretty hard in the encounters I did and she survived much more often then I did. I deliberately did encounters that had adds and random aoes and she didn't just stand in stupid and die. Either that or she healed through them, I was a little preoccupied to pay close attention, point is she lived. I'm still not thrilled about what is going to cost me to gear her up but as critical as I've been, I also want to say when I found good news.

That's great news... care to share what skills you were using and what order on the bar?
    Thanks!!
  • Anachronia
    I was testing mostly Bastian in the Blackwood region, and overall I found him most useful as a healer, but this was testing through a maxed out test account, rather than with a fresh account.
    Only 3 suggestions I can think of for companions at this point, though likely others have also posted them from what I have read so far:
    1. Instead of capping roll dodges to 2 per combat encounter, perhaps add a cooldown to roll dodges, that changes based on the number/type of armor pieces equipped?
    2. Scaling the survivability of companions such that they can better serve as a damage dealer or tank out of the gate could help, since currently I've only found them to be useful as healers. Perhaps reducing their chance to aggro NPC's as a damage dealer or a healer could help with the first one?
    3. Implementing a storage or collection system dedicated to companions might help with existing complaints on companion gear, since we cannot craft/transmute them. I am guessing that not including companion gear under a collection system, or limiting out much we can store/horde, could increase individual item values in trades, but the perceived inconvenience would be mitigated by offering some form of additional storage or collection. I would recommend implementing such a system under ESO+, but at this point there would likely not be enough time before release.

I am looking forward to getting into Blackwood.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭

That's great news... care to share what skills you were using and what order on the bar?
    Thanks!!

Some disclaimers first:

I'm expecting this build to cost between 5 and 10 million gold on live which is ridiculous from a design POV.

It's going to take between 60 and 70 quests (20 for each guild) to get the skills needed and her maxed out. Luckily you can do the dailies on each alt so it won't take 2-3 months till she is usable.

Resto staff and jewelry in bolstered
    Body in quickened

1 rejuvenation ( with quickened she recast every 10 seconds is duration is 8)
    2 skeletal aegis (25 sec cd, 6 sec duration)
    3 mending incant (13 sec cd, 8 sec duration)
    4 crimson font (30sec cd, 16 sec duration)
    5 mystic fortress (basically a shtf)

The ideal with this is she almost always has a synergy up for me either healing or shielding and I have a 6 sec window after she casts it to "need" it

Also 3/4 of the encounter both of us have 7k additional resists and we both have at least 1 hot going on us pretty much the whole time.

Disclaimer:

Mirri is not tethered to the player during encounters so it does require some awareness to stay within 20 meters of her or she's only casting on herself or light attacking. Course when she's light attacking us easy to see because the mobs leave me and start heading to her.

This does present challenges regarding mobility if you are attacking the boss close, cause she stays at range. You have a very small window you can move in.

I also tested with pale order equipped since it works with her healing (verified via cmx logs)

So to sum it up. Yes, she is viable. Would I count on her healing 100%, no for the reasons I listed above. However this build in this order does give her survivability and some utility, its just going to cost a fortune to set it up if I'm correct in my estimates.

Addendum I didn't list her ultimate for a couple reasons.
    1 it is meaningless to the build
    2 I've only seen her really use it on adds that are fighting her
    3 maybe I've been unlucky but I don't see it helping in boss fights
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some disclaimers first:

I'm expecting this build to cost between 5 and 10 million gold on live which is ridiculous from a design POV.

It's going to take between 60 and 70 quests (20 for each guild) to get the skills needed and her maxed out. Luckily you can do the dailies on each alt so it won't take 2-3 months till she is usable.

Body in quickened

Well, cost wise, if you spend the time to get it yourself then there shouldn't be a cost involved. The cost would only apply for those people who want instant gratification.

So it's true that each of our alts can independently level our companions up? We can finish the guild quests on one character, switch to another, complete them again, switch to another and complete again until we're out of alts... is that correct? If so, doesn't sound so bad. :) Will just have to split each alt's time between Mirri and Bastian so they can skill level at roughly the same speed. If that's how it works, won't be so bad because we can also work on gaining CP as all my alts have maxed enlightened time on them. :)
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some disclaimers first:

Body in quickened

Well, cost wise, if you spend the time to get it yourself then there shouldn't be a cost involved. The cost would only apply for those people who want instant gratification.

So it's true that each of our alts can independently level our companions up? We can finish the guild quests on one character, switch to another, complete them again, switch to another and complete again until we're out of alts... is that correct? If so, doesn't sound so bad. :) Will just have to split each alt's time between Mirri and Bastian so they can skill level at roughly the same speed. If that's how it works, won't be so bad because we can also work on gaining CP as all my alts have maxed enlightened time on them. :)

Have you ever farmed for a weapon or piece of gear in a dungeon? How about a complete set in a specific trait? Now imagine farming for a complete set, in a specific trait in a specific level. Now imagine doing this with no crystals to change traits and no ability to upgrade at stations. Your odds to get a specific trait and quality is about 1 in 5000 per slot assuming a 1 in 5 drop rate for gear. This is important because when you are farming in dungeons you have guaranteed drops and the ability to target certain mobs for certain pieces. Farming companion gear has none of those advantages and can only drop when you are using a companion.
    So yes, cost will come into play at least until they fix the stupid bottleneck.
    Yes each alt can level them and level of companion is maintained in all alts but the way they feel about you is individual per alt.
    Edited by crazepdx on May 23, 2021 10:05PM
  • Jahoel
    Jahoel
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official feedback thread for Companions. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:

General
    -Which areas or zones were you in with your companion?
    Player Housing
    Deshaan Overland, Northern Elsweyr Overland(+Public Event Dragon/World Boss/Public Dungeon)
    Normal Falkreath Hold, Normal Cauldron, Veteran Fungal Grotto I, Veteran Spindleclutch I, Veteran Spindleclutch II, Veteran Falkreath Hold, Veteran Cauldron
    Normal Asylum Sanctorium, Normal Sunspire, Normal Kyne's Aegis, Normal Rockgrove, Veteran Asylum Sanctorium, Veteran Sunspire

-What types of gameplay were you doing with your companion?
    Mostly solo combat - Solo overland, solo and duo dungeons, and solo trials.

-Was it clear how to access the Companions interface?
    Yes - though it would be nice if this could be accessed more quickly.

-Was the Companion ability system clear and intuitive to use?
    Yes. Mostly.

-Did your companion use the slotted abilities as you expected them to?
    More or less. Not coming into a slotted skill's range with a ranged weapon limits skill choices or forces unexpected and excessive micro management.

-Did you feel the companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?
    Neither on default setting. Seems right.
    Infrequent setting has maybe a bit too much - I would imagine this setting disabling everything except important dialogue.
    Frequent is... frequent.

Combat
    -What did you think of the Companion combat abilities in general? Were there any that felt too powerful or not powerful enough?
    None feel too powerful. Damage abilities particularly feel very weak on anything tougher than overland mobs, and lack diversity (outside of their animations).

-Were you able to configure your companion to perform the role you wished?
    More or less, though each role suffers from some issues:
    *Tanking - Survival and single target tanking seem OK. A bug causing companions to leave combat randomly(? - comments that the fight is over, sheathes weapons, and drops aggro before re-engaging) makes them completely unreliable as tanks (for now). Otherwise, an AOE taunt could help immensely, as their aoe CC abilities can't be counted on. It would be helpful if they would block more often with one hand+shield or ice staff equipped. It would also be nice if they could interrupt, or have a reliable interrupt skill. More synergies, buffs, and debuffs could also be interesting.

*Healing - Though you can force them to come closer, the max(?) range they attempt to stay at by default can be problematic or cause more excessive micro management, and it would be nice if they followed the character from a short distance (~8m?) when equipped with a restoration staff in combat. While the healing itself feels relatively good for what it is, much of it goes to waste and emergency healing often isn't used when it is needed. More skills with health % triggers, and slightly higher health % trigger for emergency heals could possibly help with these issues. More synergies, buffs and debuffs would be cool for this role as well.

*Melee Damage - Regardless of gearing, damage is very low (unless there is something that I have completely overlooked). Anything stronger than a standard overland mob makes a DPS companion feel practically cosmetic. Melee does seem better about positioning and skill use. Sometimes.

*Ranged Damage - Again, low damage. And when ranged, additional issues arise such as odd positioning. It could be better I think if they followed the character/target from a short distance (~8m?) when equipped with a bow, inferno or lightning staff in combat.

Regarding DPS, I suppose the companions do kill overland/quest mobs quite well, and can eventually (after a long, long time) kill most other normal content. Given how weak they can be on their own, perhaps giving their DPS abilities additional synergies/buffs/debuffs for the player to benefit from, or increasing their damage against "difficult enemies" would be appropriate to make them more useful for this role without causing them to utterly destroy the overland. For now they are little more than a miniscule dps boost and a distraction. Companions are probably capable of very (very) slowly killing most normal content at best.

-Were you able to effectively utilize keyboard/gamepad shortcuts to direct companion target behavior? (Hold Y and left click to attack vs Hold Y and right click to hold off)
    (How dare you assume my keybinds) Yes, though at times they seem much less responsive to these commands - and when told to 'hold off', for example to get out of an enemy ground attack, they will often walk slowly - having them always run to the player when told to disengage instead may help greatly. Micro managing them in general seems to spoil some of the fun of playing the game and should be minimized where possible. They should probably have their own command system in place as well, to help with positioning and not interfere with (or be interfered by) the different methods of commanding player class pets.

Customization/Progression
    -How did the companion progression feel in terms of time to level up, advance skills, unlock abilities, improve rapport, or acquire equipment? Was the progress clear in terms of how to access everything?
    Tested only max companions with template character purple gear. Acquired some companion gear while playing, so I guess that progression is somewhat clear. The rarity seems such that this process may be unnecessarily and maybe disappointingly laborious. Would like to see transmutable companion gear or some other possible solution to help aside from only farming and trade.

-Was the companion cosmetic customization experience clear and function as expected?
    More or less.

Rapport
    Did you understand how to influence your companion through the rapport system?
    I think so.

-Was it clear when rapport was being adjusted and why?
    It was clear it was being adjusted but not always necessarily why.

Do you have any other general feedback?
    *Bag space - It would be great if companions could hold a limited amount of any items, though a personal companion inventory for just their own gear would suffice. It wouldn't be too radical to want a few different gearing options for your companions, and this could quickly overwhelm player inventories with player gear, consumables, and various miscellaneous items already carried at all times.

*Name plate/Health Bar/Icon - Tracking companion health and position can be annoying. It would be nice if they were treated as party members (or their own category) rather than NPCs by nameplate/health bar settings, and if they had a unique icon over them that could be toggled on. If there is an icon, such as the one on the compass/map, I never saw it.

*Ultimates - Some choices here would be good. Just one per 'class' tree with different purposes would be great.

*Roll dodge - While they somewhat reliably roll dodge some ground attacks, they will all too often simply run back into whatever effect they just rolled out of. Perhaps making them wait for a moment after rolling could help, or a much greater window of evasion. I also feel there should be no cap on roll dodging for companions, only a cool down.

*Buffing the companion - some buffs provided by the player seem to work, others not so much. It would be nice if we could give them all our buffs!

*Dialogue - There's not a lot really going on here. It would make sense to be able to talk about more topics; the current zone or quest-line perhaps. Helpful tips. Local gossip. Time of day. Weather. Anything.

*Companions in housing - It would be nice if companion gear/skills/etc could be accessed while they are at the player's home. At the least they should be more than simple house-guests, which is how they appear to be currently.

In general, they do not feel as much like companions as they do really fancy combat pets - but they can be quite entertaining responding to environments and combat events, riding with the player, and fighting in their own silly way.
    Not sure on the exact goals for them in terms of performance - currently I would say they are capable of helping solo players complete all story content, perhaps some world bosses and some normal dungeons, but little more than that if they cannot already do it without them. With two or more players and companions, most things up to veteran content should be more easily achievable for some players, and they can potentially handle some of the 'easier' veteran content as well - though this will also depend largely on the players.
    My opinion is that they are close to being helpful, and may already be to some degree for some players. With a few tweaks they could become something much more like a proper "companion"; but for the moment aren't quite there for me. Thank you for your time and your work either way.
    Edited by Jahoel on May 30, 2021 4:15PM
  • rei91
    rei91
    ✭✭✭
    Jahoel wrote: »
    *Dialogue - There's not a lot really going on here. It would make sense to be able to talk about more topics; the current zone or quest-line perhaps. Helpful tips. Local gossip. Time of day. Weather. Anything.

Yes, I want to elaborate on this further. (Developers probably don't read this thread much anymore, but maybe you guys will give this some thought later).

Those "random" commentaries they have when you doing things are nice and define their character. I also liked their quests.

However,
    1) their dialog when you talk to them (outside of specific quests) is really underwhelming. I expected nice dialog trees, maybe randomly activated in different surroundings, and instead we have 6 phrases (yes nice phrases, but still). Okay, 3 phrases change depending on rapport level... which changes sooooo sloooow that you don't really have the incentive to actually talk to them if not changing their abilities/gear. This feels strange.

2) Speaking about - would be nice to get some (maybe little) rapport change after major plot points or some stand out events in quests. Because right now - you heroically saved the world again together, and they don't give a damn. That's funny and sad.

3) I was really surprised to see they don't have specific reactions to main Blackwood quests, other Blackwood quests and zones outside of their achievements (save Wayrest for Bastian, nice touch but short). We find plot corpses of important people, go to Deadlands, have Mehrunes Dagon himself talking to us... Nope, Bastian doesn't care, I guess after years of Questley's nagging it's just another day in the office for him? Significant scripted things happen in quest, or we visit some distinct DLC location, and they just stand there silently like mannequins. It's disappointing and immersion breaking, really.
    I didn't expect big dialogue, mind you, just some short reactions like - yes, it's a perfect example - Fennorian and Meridia priestess reactions in that 2 tied quests on Kilkreath. I was sure you were testing new interaction there, maybe for companions, that was really nice! Sadly, it was never heard of again.

I realise it's impossible to do specific reactions for every single quest and location in the game, but was disappointed they don't have any at least for their own chapter. And say, each country (like, common reactions when entering Dunmer zones/capital, Breton zones, and so on). And having little dialogue with them when entering some important places (or legendary, like Blackreach, or CWC, or daedric plane) would be perfect. For example, Bastian visiting Psijics is all hyped, it's a big deal, but he doesn't want to discuss it with you and how did you come to obtain the passage? That's weird.

Them asking you a little about your previous adventures if the zone is complete would be awesome, amazing and I would immediately collect every single companion and overlook all their battle struggles)) because this way they will finally feel like real friend to forever-alone-noone-doesn't-care-what-he-has-been-through Vestige. Like, say, you did with Kireth that one time in Blackreach.

Basti and Mirri have appealing fleshed out personalities; you can make them even greater!)

Edit for typos
    Edited by rei91 on May 24, 2021 12:36PM
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    So it's true that each of our alts can independently level our companions up? We can finish the guild quests on one character, switch to another, complete them again, switch to another and complete again until we're out of alts... is that correct?
    That is correct. If you have 12 characters on a single account, all 12 characters can do the MG daily with Mirri and she will get 12 dailies worth of XP. Your companions are account wide, not tied to a specific character.

Please note that rapport and achievements are per character.

• Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    Some disclaimers first:

You're forgetting that you can also trade for companion gear. If I have a destructive staff or two and I want a Restoration Staff I can just do a trade for it. Or I can sell the destructive staff and use the gold to buy a Restoration Staff. So no it's not going to cost me 5 and 10 million in gold.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mysticman wrote: »
    Some disclaimers first:

You're forgetting that you can also trade for companion gear. If I have a destructive staff or two and I want a Restoration Staff I can just do a trade for it. Or I can sell the destructive staff and use the gold to buy a Restoration Staff. So no it's not going to cost me 5 and 10 million in gold.

Ish, that is assuming I have a piece of gear to sell/trade. With a 1 in 5000 chance per slot it would be a much better use of farming time to buy what I need and have the rng backfill. Even if I make that cost back over time it doesn't change the initial cost needed.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some disclaimers first:

Ish, that is assuming I have a piece of gear to sell/trade. With a 1 in 5000 chance per slot it would be a much better use of farming time to buy what I need and have the rng backfill. Even if I make that cost back over time it doesn't change the initial cost needed.

Yet I wonder, how many people are actually going to invest a ton of gold in Companions, if they truly turn out to be pretty much useless? The only ones I could see doing it, are people who already have too much gold and are looking for something to spend their reserves on.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some disclaimers first:

Yet I wonder, how many people are actually going to invest a ton of gold in Companions, if they truly turn out to be pretty much useless? The only ones I could see doing it, are people who already have too much gold and are looking for something to spend their reserves on.

I'm in a trading guild and know a lot of people who are like that. I also know people who will spend insane amounts of gold on a new mount, costume, housing items or style pages. Don't even get me started on crown gem stuff and crates. Convenience sales, so does shinies. Myself I like function I wouldn't spend that kind of gold on the things listed above, but I've shown myself they can be a somewhat useful healbot. It's worth it to me to not be frustrated with them, while I use them. Also to not have to await the blessing of the almighty RNG. Idk though, I'll guess we will see in a couple of weeks.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, for me a Companion is going to just be a fun addition to the game, like a new skill line or any other shiny new thing added to the game. I certainly don't NEED a Companion, I can solo many group dungeons already, but I think they could be a fun pet to have along during the monotonous questing journey. Which is why I don't mind the fact that they cannot DO much at first, I'll just spec Mirri into healer and Bastian into Archer, keeping them at range, while packing them with mostly self-heal/defensive skills. I just created a new Necromancer, my first Necro character; so if they're as squishy as many claim, then it'll fit with a character who specializes in 'raising the dead'. :D
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, for me a Companion is going to just be a fun addition to the game, like a new skill line or any other shiny new thing added to the game. I certainly don't NEED a Companion, I can solo many group dungeons already, but I think they could be a fun pet to have along during the monotonous questing journey. Which is why I don't mind the fact that they cannot DO much at first, I'll just spec Mirri into healer and Bastian into Archer, keeping them at range, while packing them with mostly self-heal/defensive skills. I just created a new Necromancer, my first Necro character; so if they're as squishy as many claim, then it'll fit with a character who specializes in 'raising the dead'. :D

I've been farming a new great set in live for my Stamden. Mother cianait, brands of imperium along with deadly body. I've found the 🛡 help them alot.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I've been farming a new great set in live for my Stamden. Mother cianait, brands of imperium along with deadly body. I've found the 🛡 help them alot.

But does the companion add enough dps to compensate for the support sets?
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »

But does the companion add enough dps to compensate for the support sets?

Stamplar and magplar are weird toons. As long as you buff jabs (deadly strikes on body) You can get pretty good dps. Add infused on jewelry with weapon damage and you can pretty much offset their lack of meaningful dps. Think of them as a walking talking dot you don't have to reapply and heals you.
  • eaglexk
    eaglexk
    ✭✭✭
    Why companions are useless, 15 sec video:
    https://youtu.be/1RSnnYVhXhs
    Bastian skills:
    oe2748mt4uij.png
    The heavy armor trait: damage mitigation.

P.S. I can solo this boss with no problems.
  • eaglexk
    eaglexk
    ✭✭✭
    Companions like Tamagotchi - you carry their burdens, heal them, resurrect them and they just annoys you dying instead of helping you