The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you like competitive PVP arenas to be introduced in ESO ?

• Daraklus
    Daraklus
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO
    WolfyRaps wrote: »
    Daraklus wrote: »

Many top PVPers say that the curent BG scene is in a good spot. The avarage player of course it will complain. But the fact that he complains that damage or tankyness are either too hight or too low means that they are right where they should be..

An Arena scene would real new life into the PVP scene by giving PVPers something to aim for.

ESport would bring new eyes towards a game and this brings many new players into ESO.

I don't care what "Top PvPers" have to say about Battlegrounds, as they don't relate to me in the slightest. I care more about the on-the-ground average player's opinion than someone who is living in their own world

You keep talking about "Bringing ESports" to the game, but let me tell you that you CANNOT force an E-Sports scene onto a game. You have to let it materialize organically, forcing it and trying to make a game around an E-Sports scene makes the game feel less about playing for the fun of it and more "You MUST play to be the best". I want to play PvP to have fun, not to aspire to be some kind of top-ranked super l33t PvP player.

Just look at what happened to Heroes of the Storm, another game from Blizzard; Game is really fun to play, but Activision and Blizzard tried to force an E-Sports scene onto it, and when it didn't kick off they abandoned the game completely.

No you cannot force an eSport out of nothing but you can give a game the tools to evolve into an eSport. ESO at the moment has no such tool.

Arenas would be exactly that: an environement (tool) in which a game can evolve into an eSport, with all the fame and money it comes with it.

ZOS has nothing to lose and everything to gain by implementing Arenas.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Battlegrounds were implemented, and they didn't kick off any E-Sports scene. What makes you think that Arenas will have the ability to kick off an E-Sports scene?

The only way I can see it MAYBE working, is if you go in to these Arenas and are wearing gear given to you by a Blademaster, rather than it being you going in to these with whatever armor you are wearing. That way you can have a bit more of a balanced playing field where gear and CP isn't going to be the deciding factor, but rather how you utilize your skills and movement.

At the very least it will be in the "Good spot" where you can go in, fight and not feel like you've been run over because someone has a set of gear that overpowers everything, or you yourself overpower everyone because they didn't have as strong gear as you.

It also doesn't help that you are flat out ignoring the points of anyone who doesn't agree with you, and keep with the flashy dream of seeing ESO being some kind of hardcore E-Sports PvP game (Or at least have that scene), when in reality the game has a hard time managing itself in the balancing department and makes sweeping changes that affects both PvP and PvE
    Edited by Daraklus on April 15, 2021 1:08PM
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    1v1 would be amazing! I wish they would add something like this but for now, just BG's.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)

Many top PVPers say that the curent BG scene is in a good spot. The avarage player of course it will complain. But the fact that he complains that damage or tankyness are either too hight or too low means that they are right where they should be..

An Arena scene would real new life into the PVP scene by giving PVPers something to aim for.

ESport would bring new eyes towards a game and this brings many new players into ESO.

I don't care what "Top PvPers" have to say about Battlegrounds, as they don't relate to me in the slightest. I care more about the on-the-ground average player's opinion than someone who is living in their own world

You keep talking about "Bringing ESports" to the game, but let me tell you that you CANNOT force an E-Sports scene onto a game. You have to let it materialize organically, forcing it and trying to make a game around an E-Sports scene makes the game feel less about playing for the fun of it and more "You MUST play to be the best". I want to play PvP to have fun, not to aspire to be some kind of top-ranked super l33t PvP player.

Just look at what happened to Heroes of the Storm, another game from Blizzard; Game is really fun to play, but Activision and Blizzard tried to force an E-Sports scene onto it, and when it didn't kick off they abandoned the game completely.

No you cannot force an eSport out of nothing but you can give a game the tools to evolve into an eSport. ESO at the moment has no such tool.

Arenas would be exactly that: an environement (tool) in which a game can evolve into an eSport, with all the fame and money it comes with it.

ZOS has nothing to lose and everything to gain by implementing Arenas.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_BrianWheeler

Battlegrounds were implemented, and they didn't kick off any E-Sports scene. What makes you think that Arenas will have the ability to kick off an E-Sports scene?

The only way I can see it MAYBE working, is if you go in to these Arenas and are wearing gear given to you by a Blademaster, rather than it being you going in to these with whatever armor you are wearing. That way you can have a bit more of a balanced playing field where gear and CP isn't going to be the deciding factor, but rather how you utilize your skills and movement.

At the very least it will be in the "Good spot" where you can go in, fight and not feel like you've been run over because someone has a set of gear that overpowers everything, or you yourself overpower everyone because they didn't have as strong gear as you.

AvAvA is a casual friendly game mode absolutly not suited to becaome eSport (that avoids complete domination of one team over another in a long match).

Any competition must be AvA, small scale and a no respawn death match.

Gear is not an issue.. In ESO, unlike WOW, gear is easy to farm. Any half serious PvPer will have all the PvP viable gear available to him. And in ESO, at least at the moment, the gear choice is huge and players can choose from a huge array of viable options.

This is a great thing and the build diversity would bring that much more excitement to an ESO PVP eSport.

@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_BrianWheeler
  • XvarleyX
    XvarleyX
    ✭✭✭
    @WolfyRaps A 7 year old game running on an even older engine, full of bugs and only 2 server locations sounds like a great place for an eSport.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    XvarleyX wrote: »
    @WolfyRaps A 7 year old game running on an even older engine, full of bugs and only 2 server locations sounds like a great place for an eSport.

Why not. When eSport money starts pouring in they will be able to upgrade the servers ;).

WOW is much older than that and in general a much worse game than ESO. The only thing keeping them alive is the eSport status.
  • XvarleyX
    XvarleyX
    ✭✭✭
    A competitive player doesn't need a house, companion, outfits, pets, quests to complete or a story to uncover. They don't need trader guilds, dungeon finder, trial runs, dolmen grinds or world bosses.

So no Crowns bought, subs paid or DLC picked up for the most part.

Just grab the game during free period, grind a toon and enter the competition ZOS paid for...no.. Basically eSports will appeal to a minute population of the game compared to whats out there having a merry adventure with some friends or decorating a house.

Competitve 1v1 would have about 40 regular players on leader boards max on any given server imo, not worth investing for such a low pop.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (2v2, 3v3)
    So long as you can set up custom matches for fun/practice, then yeah!

Would love to see 12 v 12 arenas too!
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    XvarleyX wrote: »
    A competitive player doesn't need a house, companion, outfits, pets, quests to complete or a story to uncover. They don't need trader guilds, dungeon finder, trial runs, dolmen grinds or world bosses.

So no Crowns bought, subs paid or DLC picked up for the most part.

Just grab the game during free period, grind a toon and enter the competition ZOS paid for...no.. Basically eSports will appeal to a minute population of the game compared to whats out there having a merry adventure with some friends or decorating a house.

Competitve 1v1 would have about 40 regular players on leader boards max on any given server imo, not worth investing for such a low pop.

I have all of those (a fully decorated big house, etc.) and I am also quite a competitive PvPer :).

I think you are very pesimistic about the state of the PVP community in ESO. Don't forget that they have just one server per continent. Go to Bergama in the evening and you will see at least 40 competitive PvPers dueling it out for hours on end with no reward incitive at all, just for the fun of the PVP. And you can add to those another 10 in Weyrest plus all the other cities dueling it out because they lack any better form of PVP. And add to those hundreds in the high mmr BGs that terorise the avarage players with their high burst and tankiness polished in thousands of hours of PVP.

My point is that all these people would rather be in Arenas than in Bergama or other cities dueling, or in BGs farming and scarying away the avarage player from PVP.

Edited by WolfyRaps on April 15, 2021 1:40PM
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    The only way this would work would be with a balanced build selection like GW2 has and then only being able to pick your weapons and skills. All stats would be according to the premade build you picked.

With the current meta a game of rock, paper, goat, turtle and nuclear missile would be more fun in a competitive sense
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES (2v2, 3v3)
    I'd prefer the problems in PvP combat to be fixed first, before adding new things. But the idea is a good one, if PvP worked better.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Spreadicus
    Spreadicus
    Soul Shriven
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    I would personally love to see a version of battlegrounds that isn't a three-way [snip] fest. I realize there's three different factions but surely there's enough players to randomize team vs. team games.

Or just take the factions out of the battleground equation. Just make it red team verse blue team.

1v1 duels would be cool as well. 👍

[removed profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on April 15, 2021 2:47PM
  • ZOS_Ragnar
    ZOS_Ragnar
    admin
    We have removed multiple posts from this thread that were disruptive and did not add to the discussion. We do not expect you to agree with all the opinions you encounter on the forums, and that’s okay. It’s perfectly acceptable to disagree, but please do not put other people down for their opinions, ideas, or suggestions. We encourage you all to review our forum rules to avoid any further violations. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    Spreadicus wrote: »
    I would personally love to see a version of battlegrounds that isn't a three-way [snip] fest. I realize there's three different factions but surely there's enough players to randomize team vs. team games.

Or just take the factions out of the battleground equation. Just make it red team verse blue team.

[removed profanity]

I think BGs are ok as they are and they should remain AvAvA. As they curently designed a 3rd team is needed to break the domination of one team over another. BGs would not be fun at all if you are stuck for 10 minutes not being able to jump off your platform without being killed imediatly.

The problem is another. ESO by it's very design promotes a huge skill gap. The difference is absolutly astronomical betweek a player that spent thousends of hours developping his skills against the best competition is duels and a new player just trying out PVP. It is much more pronounced than in WOW because the combat is more fluid, more fast paced and it allows many more options.

These "maniac" PVPers will get into BGs in lack of a better choice and make everybody cry for balance in class or gear because the avarage PVPer simply cannot understand how much better a veteran PVPer can be and why he seem to take no damage while wracking everything in its path.

An Arena system would simply give "maniacs" an environement to focus on other than duels in Bergama.

It would be good for the health of the game to have the casual friendly BGs without the hardcore players spaming BGs day in day out.

I even think that Arenas will be popular for the avarage players because they will stabilise their "ELO" rating and be matched agains equally skilled players afterwards. The matches will be short (as oposed to 10 minutes+ BGs) and very rewarding even at low rating.

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »
    Could you elaborate what a competetive PvP arena looks like, and how it would differ from a BG?

Just search youtube or google or bing for "WoW 2v2 Arena match" or "WoW 3v3 Arena match". That's similar to what OP is suggesting.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    I'd like to see arbitrary number of players & arbitrary number of teams duel-like system, where 1 person is organiser and can add/exclude people and start the match.

It needs No-CP switch! Duels too, actually.

That gonna fix a lot of issues - it will bybass queue, it will allow tournaments, it will allow so many different game scenarios.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    divnyi wrote: »
    I'd like to see arbitrary number of players & arbitrary number of teams duel-like system, where 1 person is organiser and can add/exclude people and start the match.

It needs No-CP switch! Duels too, actually.

That gonna fix a lot of issues - it will bybass queue, it will allow tournaments, it will allow so many different game scenarios.

I would still prefer a queue like system where the game pairs you against equally rated teams/players. It would make things "official" and much easier. It would give everyone the freedom to play Arenas as duel or team duel whenever they want, without depending on an organizer that would have to do the work of finding equally skilled players..
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    competitive PVP arenas would be awesome :)
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO
    1. The format will be AvA (not AvAvA like the current BGs),
    2. The arena maps will be much smaller, all the matches will be in deathmatch format,
    3. The ELO like rating will be visible and the ladderboards would last season long,
    4. Similar rated teams will fight each-other,
    5. There will be unique rewards and titles for the top teams at the end of each season.

No. I didn't want BGs.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    2. The arena maps will be much smaller, all the matches will be in deathmatch format,
    3. The ELO like rating will be visible and the ladderboards would last season long,
    5. There will be unique rewards and titles for the top teams at the end of each season.

No. I didn't want BGs.

So you are worried that it will take players out of Cyro as BGs did ?
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sick of "horse sim" . There should be an AvA format that doesn't require you to spend 35% of your game time on your horse trying to find a fight.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO
    ESO combat kinda sucks at smallscale gvg but it really shines in large gvg 12v12 I'd rather see them add housing enabled group based PvP and then focus on large scale bgs this way all types can be supported by community events more easily.
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    I would still prefer a queue like system where the game pairs you against equally rated teams/players. It would make things "official" and much easier. It would give everyone the freedom to play Arenas as duel or team duel whenever they want, without depending on an organizer that would have to do the work of finding equally skilled players..

You see, I don't *trust* their queues. When it takes 15m to queue 4man premade while you know that your guild has 3 groups running, something is way off. And don't even try to ask them to improve their algorithms, they already improved it before that we had months of queue desyncs and broken battlegrounds, what we see now is the height.

Another issue with adding many different game modes is that BG playerbase isn't that big. If you create a lot of modes, it will spread and queue times will increase, potentially some modes will be abandoned at all.

Another issue is being able to do tournaments at all. BG doesn't allow you to have 12man fight premade. Well you can try to queue at the same time, abandon queue if not everyone accepted, but it's time-consuming workaround.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    Spreadicus wrote: »

[removed profanity]

I think BGs are ok as they are and they should remain AvAvA. As they curently designed a 3rd team is needed to break the domination of one team over another. BGs would not be fun at all if you are stuck for 10 minutes not being able to jump off your platform without being killed imediatly.

In theory yes but what usually happens is 2nd place and 3rd place start fighting over 2nd place to get rewards instead of teaming up against 1st.
    The problem is another. ESO by it's very design promotes a huge skill gap. The difference is absolutly astronomical betweek a player that spent thousends of hours developping his skills against the best competition is duels and a new player just trying out PVP. It is much more pronounced than in WOW because the combat is more fluid, more fast paced and it allows many more options.

These "maniac" PVPers will get into BGs in lack of a better choice and make everybody cry for balance in class or gear because the avarage PVPer simply cannot understand how much better a veteran PVPer can be and why he seem to take no damage while wracking everything in its path.

An Arena system would simply give "maniacs" an environement to focus on other than duels in Bergama.

It would be good for the health of the game to have the casual friendly BGs without the hardcore players spaming BGs day in day out.

I even think that Arenas will be popular for the avarage players because they will stabilise their "ELO" rating and be matched agains equally skilled players afterwards. The matches will be short (as oposed to 10 minutes+ BGs) and very rewarding even at low rating.

The "maniac" PvPers would hopefully fight other "maniac" PvPers in diamond or gold league or what ever.
    ELO rating system would also be cool because we could see where we stand as players and try to improve, or not

casuals and pvers getting their daily reward would have an easier time in bronze league fighting others in same gear or wanting the same rewards, instead of getting stomped by the guys with dedicated BG builds
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (2v2, 3v3)
    Yes. Not because I want ESO to be an "eSport" but because the PvP side of things needs improvements, and there's plenty of room for them.

AvBvC BGs are awful
    1v1 to 4v4 arenas would be much more fun and competitive.

Rewards for PvP are a joke, the Daily Random reward is 1 transmute stone and a purple item from an ancient set.
    The dungeon equivalent gets 10 transmute plus loot along the way, and requires much less competence.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    ThePedge wrote: »
    Rewards for PvP are a joke, the Daily Random reward is 1 transmute stone and a purple item from an ancient set.
    The dungeon equivalent gets 10 transmute plus loot along the way, and requires much less competence.

Totally agree with transmute part. PvP was previously the source of transmute crystals. I can understand giving PvE the same capabilities of farming transmutes, but I don't understand why PvP part got so much comparatively weaker.

I literally have to grind PvE to get transmutes for most important pieces at times, I never have enough to transmute armors.
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just add group dueling. The community can handle the rest.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (2v2, 3v3)
    Sorbin wrote: »

This is acceptable.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO

No. I didn't want BGs.

So you are worried that it will take players out of Cyro as BGs did ?

There's no reason to dedicate anymore resources to anything PvP other than Cyrodiil and sewers.

I'd prefer they remove BGs entirely.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    There's no reason to dedicate anymore resources to anything PvP other than Cyrodiil and sewers.

I'd prefer they remove BGs entirely.

I guess you love zerging around.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES (1v1, 2v2, 3v3)
    Sorbin wrote: »

This is acceptable.

This would help so much, give us some alternative until cyro gets fixed, if it gets fixed