The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Bad Lighting on new Character Select page

Aelthwyn
Aelthwyn
✭✭✭✭
The new Character Select background looks wierd, like there's no depth to it - it looks flat, washed out, and low quality. There's something wrong with the shadows or something. The distant castle and willows could look really beautiful if they didn't just look like a poorly painted backdrop for a play, or 'minimal' game settings. I know it's not gamebreaking, but it's just not an inviting first sight when you log in. I feel like it's clashing with the characters like it's too bright while they're sort of shadowed. I think the light is too directly overhead.

The lighting on the characters is bad, casting wierd shadows on their faces. It's always been pretty nice looking at your characters on the select page in the past, but on the test server now many of them look rather ugly with shadows around their eyes and such. While not the end of the world, I do think it may be slightly demotivating, because enjoying looking at one's characters inspires you to want to play with them, right?

Just look at the difference here. I think it's pretty clear the Greymoor character page is more appealing.....

66s0g2osmvrj.png

Edited by Aelthwyn on February 26, 2021 4:17AM
  • rnklippel
    rnklippel
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree. When I saw it in the PTS my first thought was "what an ugly character select screen!". The Greymoor one had a much better impact on first sight.
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The settings are a little different though. Look at the edges of the shadows in your live screenshot and then in the PTS one. Have you looked over all the video settings and verified they are exactly the same?
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gundug wrote: »
    The settings are a little different though. Look at the edges of the shadows in your live screenshot and then in the PTS one. Have you looked over all the video settings and verified they are exactly the same?

Good idea to check that, but actually my settings on PTS are higher than on live. koao7j296hwg.png
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm
    Try dropping the Shadow Quality on the PTS down to Medium like you have it on Live. Shadow Quality usually makes a huge difference in how the game looks.
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »
    Hmm
    Try dropping the Shadow Quality on the PTS down to Medium like you have it on Live. Shadow Quality usually makes a huge difference in how the game looks.

Well, I switched all the PTS settings to the same as live, buuuuuuut it still doesn't look as good. (also rather odd to be setting the quality lower in hopes it will look better....)

vwbt8oynj5kt.png

There's something about those willow trees that just... looks really flat. The Greymoor one manages to capture a sense of depth and feels inviting. I was really excited for the change when I first saw that one on the PTS a year ago. I think perhaps it's a combination of composition and lighting? Maybe camera angle as well? The character's faces in the Greymoor (and all the previous ones) seem to have light shining on them from the front, even their clothes seem a little better lit. The new PTS version causes shadows under the eyebrows and cheek bones.

I also have to add that I like the mount being closer as it's always been, it makes for a better composition of your character's little 'team' their mount and pet lead by them. With the mount further off it does feel more like a side accessory than their trusty companion on their travels. I'm sure that doesn't matter to many people but... that's how it strikes me anyways.
  • Merlin7331
    Merlin7331
    Soul Shriven
    I’d bet moving the mount further away is to give space for your companion to stand
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should try turning on Ambient Occlusion. I know you don't have it on for the live server, but it could be that the shading in the PTS scene relies more heavily on Ambient Occlusion to provide that subtle shadowing that it desperately needs.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think the bad lighting is intentional so that you can already see how ugly your character will look in bad lighting conditions you will encounter in the game.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merlin7331 wrote: »
    I’d bet moving the mount further away is to give space for your companion to stand

But what if Disco!BattleCat *is* my companion?

The humanoid NPCs they’re adding could stand in the background instead.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have the option to use the original faction based backgrounds. Both of these newer ones are ugly, dreary, drab, washed out, and amateurish looking.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I'd rather have the option to use the original faction based backgrounds. Both of these newer ones are ugly, dreary, drab, washed out, and amateurish looking.

Sometimes I forget which alliance my characters are in since the backgrounds went away :D
    (also I have an overabundance of AD ones simply because I liked that background best)

My personal dream is to have the background based on the zone your character was in when you logged out, but I know that would require a LOT of them. I would also be very happy if they gave us options to choose from so you could have a background that suits each character's style or story.

But mainly I'm just hoping they will make the next one look better than it currently does.
  • Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    id love to be able to pick your own background one day.

but i agree the new one is baaaaddd. i loved greymoor.
    Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    The lighting on the characters is bad, casting wierd shadows on their faces.
    This. My gamma settings was different too.
    Opera-2021-03-04-124545-us-v-cdn-net.png

The trees looks flat because they're not a pines with own shadows, they could be like that in real life.
    But!
    Look at the ground. On the new preview window the grass settings status catches the eye while Greymoor's preview don't have a difference because of rocks.
    20210304122621-2.jpg
    20210304121849-2.jpg

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ekzorka wrote: »
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    The lighting on the characters is bad, casting wierd shadows on their faces.
    This. My gamma settings was different too.
    Opera-2021-03-04-124545-us-v-cdn-net.png

The trees looks flat because they're not a pines with own shadows, they could be like that in real life.
    But!
    Look at the ground. On the new preview window the grass settings status catches the eye while Greymoor's preview don't have a difference because of rocks.
    20210304122621-2.jpg
    20210304121849-2.jpg

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Ultra and Low settings here. And I'm a bit of a graphics snob.

Are we sure that the settings are applying properly?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are mine for example:

Ultra

pd81A1g.png

Low

jPiDAxE.png
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

I honestly can't tell the difference between the Ultra and Low settings here. And I'm a bit of a graphics snob.

Are we sure that the settings are applying properly?

I had a hard time seeing a difference as well, I do see a little patch of flowers under the one willow with the ultra picture that isn't there on the low, but to me it still doesn't make the trees look better and doesn't fix the issue with shadows on the character.
  • MattVH
    MattVH
    ✭✭✭
    Some dungeons, like Ruins of Mazzatun, have a really good looking backdrop/horizon. Probably only effective because those areas are bordered. That's why I feel like that technique would make more sense for the character select screen as well.

Change the camera angle. Put some good looking stuff in the front and use a flat horizon like in some dungeons. Way in the back. I'd avoid showing off the distant terrain too much, especially the trees that don't have shadows anymore at some point.

Found a random picture. https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/lodgeofsorceresses-forums/monthly_2018_07/unknown.png.ae71c40df934319430c7e67f13911b97.png

I'd just put characters in front of that wall :p

This is all assuming that a flat, but distant, background, wouldn't require more load than the mini zone that's being used nowadays.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hope this character selection screen will not be in live game yet... It needs different light source placement, and fix of at least two major bugs/oversights :/
    I also hope we'll be able to select our preferred character selection screens (at least from base game and all chapters we own) - we need to send more feedback requesting this feature :)

What I like about upcoming screen: when you zoom-in, you can not only see your character's face, but also your whole mount.
    NfFozxa.jpg
    oyhMbXf.png

The pet is cut off as usual :/

What I don't like: as everyone here, I'm upset by lighting - it casts shadows on character's face and on their body. Depending on the personality your character uses, it can have even more impact:
    pty9qbV.png
    ExzHU3I.png

Settings on all screenshots are the same as on live (except that on live I have anti-aliasing OFF):

2T8qeUM.jpg

I can't play without SSAO - the game looks too flat. Turning it OFF does ease the shadows on the character and mounts, but not removes those shadows completely. Without Ambient Occlusion:
    FGHjiUn.png

Turning ON shadows makes lighting even more unpleasant (shadows on character, mount and pet become even darker). On characters with certain personalities and on dark colours (including mounts and pets) it becomes really bad:
    Es39npv.png

nwzWEI6.jpg

On lighter colors and different personality it's less awful:
    AUfLjzh.png

Now for major bugs/oversights.
    1) On two of my 18 characters, mount and pet placement are weird:
    M7qEiwX.jpg

When you zoom-in, now you can finally see the pet, but the mount's head is cut off :D
    PFbuYxj.jpg

Everything on "bugged" characters is different, except they both are Redguards. I haven't reported this weird bug yet, will see if it makes it to next PTS.

2) When character has hunched personality (Beast being the most extreme), you can't always see your character when you zoom in :D
    qK7cR7n.png

When character doesn't move and stands still, you can't see the mount as well - only part of character's head:
    0n20d9T.jpg

...or part of their staff:
    0sbMS2S.jpg

I reported this as bug which Impairs Functionality on PTS - it doesn't allow me to see my character and their mount closely on character selection screen, and sometimes it looks scary (like on those screenshots).
    Edited by Fischblut on March 7, 2021 8:06PM
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    I honestly can't tell the difference between the Ultra and Low settings here.
    GRASS settings I said.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my Summerset screen back.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I also hope we'll be able to select our preferred character selection screens (at least from base game and all chapters we own) - we need to send more feedback requesting this feature :)

Now for major bugs/oversights.
    1) On two of my 18 characters, mount and pet placement are weird:

I reported this as bug which Impairs Functionality on PTS - it doesn't allow me to see my character and their mount closely on character selection screen, and sometimes it looks scary (like on those screenshots).

Yes, we really need to pester them about choosing background options!

And yeah.... it has many bugs. Sometimes the mount is floating, or they seem to drop in at wierd places. I haven't tested enough to notice if there's any trends with type of character or mount or if it's switching from someone with one kind of pet to another, who knows, but the placement is defintely not consistent.

And then I've even gotten this kind of lovely glitch.....cjrxfdz8xkjw.png