The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Exp or no exp?

ZeroDPS
ZeroDPS
✭✭✭✭
In many other mmos we dont have for instance separate instanced loot, exp etc...
But here we are in ESO, we are having everything personal instanced, Except exp gain, so for instance mob gives 100 exp upon kill: if we kill alone we will get all these 100, and if someone hits even for 1 little light attack, we are losing 50% of that mob exp.
Dont you think that it will be better to make instanced exp loot for everyone who hits a mob guys?
Especially when we have upcoming level cap increase? So everybody can farm without any lost exp.

Exp or no exp? 20 votes

Yes, do not decrease exp gain on multiple players hit
90%
DeathStalkerKadoozySecondszSirTyrraxiuslillybitYlikollikasFischblutPrincess_CiriMykrizDreadDaedrothtrackdemon5512bmnobleremositoGrimTheReaper45FlowOneSylaeTuxydoZeroDPS 18 votes
No we need even more nerfs! Decrease exp gain by 35%.....
10%
lolo_01b16_ESOgresiac 2 votes
My own version in comments
0%
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No one's stealing your XP.

You have to do a minimum (I believe, 3%) of the bosses health to get a drop, so for world bosses, you want to hit hard.

(Blocking/mitigating, healing some equivalent also counts, iirc, though I do not know what the actual numbers are.)

It's definitely more than one light attack.

If you want instanced XP and loot, go to an instance?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Duplomancer
    Duplomancer
    ✭✭✭
    So go to an instance. There are plenty of guides out there that have a variety of Exp spots that you can check out. According to many, the number one place to grind Exp is an instance in Craglorn called Skyreach.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No change is needed. There are plenty of options for instanced farming, group farming, options if you don't mind other people wandering through your farming session in the middle of a quest area, and options for if you just want a big chunk of exp.

Now, if this was inspired by the occasional rants I see in Craglorn zone chat about other people coming into "their territory," then "No, you don't own "your" mob farming area. Other players have as much right to fight those mobs as you. Deal with it."

Personally, I find that turning in daily quests results in a large amount of exp that's not diminished by the amount of players around. Crafting Writs are probably the easiest way to turn in a bunch of dailies fast with an exp scroll running, but I get pretty decent exp from running my Premium Random Dungeon too.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No change needed
    It work so dont mess with it
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How would this work? If a mob has 100k health and you do 99k damage and someone else does 1k damage, what happens? You get 99% of XP and other player gets 1%? Or do you both get full XP? In former case, min/max DPS players will always get most of the XP in game and casual and support players will get very little. If the latter, you will have big groups just tearing through overland mobs, everybody in group getting full XP, and leaving no mobs for people playing the game normally.

ZOS do not want the entire game to be nothing but an XP farm, so there are specific places that are good for XP farming, but most general mob areas are not good for XP farming. That keeps XP grind players from ruining the play experience for the casual players that make up bulk of game.
  • Duplomancer
    Duplomancer
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I understand. I have been playing MMOs for more than 20 years. ESO is the first of which that I have player where you get ANYTHING for tagging a mob, outside of group and not doing the most amount of damage or simply hitting it first.

ESO is a different kind of MMO. It rewards you with something for damaging a mob (or healing the player? dunno don't play a healer).

You want everyone that tags a mob to get 100% exp. Fine. You can already get personal 100% exp for every kill in instanced or non instanced place in the game, at least until someone else shows up. This is part and parcel of playing an MMO and their balancing acts. More people killing something makes it easier thus less exp (but I should not have to explain this to someone with so much experience), and this is why I disagree with you.
    Edited by Duplomancer on February 25, 2021 4:02AM
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're thinking of the mob as a whole and you need to consider that each individual is its own XP and that's tallied constantly. If someone from outside your group comes in and gets a hit then they get XP for each individual enemy hit as they contributed. That XP gained is individually adjusted and boosted for the wherever the respective player is along the curve.

Now the game encourages you to group up by adding an XP boost for those in groups. That boosted XP is then divided. The efficiency of that boost drops after more than two players join a group but it's great in situations like dolmen farms where things die so fast that a single player can't really get hits in but members of the group can.

Now if you've ever seen a bot farm you can easily understand why everyone doesn't get full XP and it's split. The system could easily be abused for non-active players to sit around and accrue points without doing anything at all. You would have bot farm groups with CP and the ability to use passives like "Plentiful Harvest". You would have a market of players just selling absentee XP carry runs for new accounts and subsequently have a situation where getting an account banned has less of a consequence. Esp if the violator can just passively and quickly raise up a new character.

The system is balanced. Run in a group and you get faster XP but its cut down a bit and you don't have to do much work. Run solo or with another person and gain the maximum benefits. Otherwise move on from a location as XP farming isnt favored by the developers.

You run Skyreach because it's instanced and private for maximum monotonous gains. You run Spellscar knowing full well that any player can step in and ruin your mojo.

****Ugh I voted wrong. Your choices are poorly worded for a survey
    Edited by trackdemon5512 on February 25, 2021 5:35AM
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    In many other mmos we dont have for instance separate instanced loot, exp etc...
    But here we are in ESO, we are having everything personal instanced, Except exp gain, so for instance mob gives 100 exp upon kill: if we kill alone we will get all these 100, and if someone hits even for 1 little light attack, we are losing 50% of that mob exp.
    Dont you think that it will be better to make instanced exp loot for everyone who hits a mob guys?
    Especially when we have upcoming level cap increase? So everybody can farm without any lost exp.

Your premise is off.

1 Player = 100 XP
    2 Players = 110 XP
    3 Players = 90 XP
    4 Players = 65 XP

Now lets add in the variable you are missing - time

1 Player = 100 XP = 10 seconds to kill = 10 XP/s
    2 Players = 110 XP = 5 seconds to kill = 22 XP/s
    3 Players = 90 XP = 3.33 seconds to kill = 27 XP/s
    4 Players = 65 XP = 2.5 seconds to kill = 26 XP/s

\o/
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I understand. I have been playing MMOs for more than 20 years. ESO is the first of which that I have player where you get ANYTHING for tagging a mob, outside of group and not doing the most amount of damage or simply hitting it first.

You must never have played WoW. Tag a mob just as someone else runs up to hit it. They are forced to kill it. Only you get the loot.

• Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You must never have played WoW. Tag a mob just as someone else runs up to hit it. They are forced to kill it. Only you get the loot.

...This is horrible :o I'm glad that I was never convinced to try that game!

I farm at areas where there are barely any players, so my personal farming is not really affected.
    But when I run by famous farm areas (some of them are quest areas as well)... Tag "their" mobs, and salt of some PvE farmers can be stronger than negative messages in PvP :D So just for friendlier environment in the game overall, I would prefer if experience from killing a mob wasn't reduced between players.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you're thinking of the mob as a whole and you need to consider that each individual is its own XP and that's tallied constantly. If someone from outside your group comes in and gets a hit then they get XP for each individual enemy hit as they contributed. That XP gained is individually adjusted and boosted for the wherever the respective player is along the curve.

Now the game encourages you to group up by adding an XP boost for those in groups. That boosted XP is then divided. The efficiency of that boost drops after more than two players join a group but it's great in situations like dolmen farms where things die so fast that a single player can't really get hits in but members of the group can.

Now if you've ever seen a bot farm you can easily understand why everyone doesn't get full XP and it's split. The system could easily be abused for non-active players to sit around and accrue points without doing anything at all. You would have bot farm groups with CP and the ability to use passives like "Plentiful Harvest". You would have a market of players just selling absentee XP carry runs for new accounts and subsequently have a situation where getting an account banned has less of a consequence. Esp if the violator can just passively and quickly raise up a new character.

The system is balanced. Run in a group and you get faster XP but its cut down a bit and you don't have to do much work. Run solo or with another person and gain the maximum benefits. Otherwise move on from a location as XP farming isnt favored by the developers.

You run Skyreach because it's instanced and private for maximum monotonous gains. You run Spellscar knowing full well that any player can step in and ruin your mojo.

****Ugh I voted wrong. Your choices are poorly worded for a survey

What I mean is either we get full exp from the mob kill regardless how many players hit it, orrrr we must get portion of exp according to our damage done to it, but not like what we have today, if someone hits a mob exp is divided by 2. 50/50% even do you do 97% of hp damage
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hi there,

After removing some unnecessary back and forth from this thread, we would like everyone to keep posts on the subject at hand, civil, and constructive. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to review them here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Gabriel_H
    Gabriel_H
    ✭✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    What I mean is either we get full exp from the mob kill regardless how many players hit it, orrrr we must get portion of exp according to our damage done to it, but not like what we have today, if someone hits a mob exp is divided by 2. 50/50% even do you do 97% of hp damage

Your premise is still wrong. XP is not split ever, and two players killing a mob gives 10% more XP.

• relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭