Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Should Globin be playble race in ESO ?

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    Think about the lore for a moment.

Then think about running a goblin character through all the quests that exist in ESO.

I went to great lengths to make up "goblin" characters. Inspired at first running through Toothmaul Gulley with a couple of Templars (one stamplar damage dealer along with her sister a magplar healer); as myself and my bestie were playing I started to consider the idea of a scrawny little goblin watching them and being inspired.

Meet Broken Branch Toothmaul, geared up as a Templar in Hallowjack (seemed fitting)

2pAieby.png

As you can see here early on I favored more classic Barbarian and Primal gear:

6Kgt6UW.png

She eventually joined the Order of the Dragon, and here she is riding "Big Brown Horse" next to her freakishly huge (you know those distorted altmer types) Commanding officer.

RYjbxhZ.png
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Goblins should actually use different models, the repainted npc model kinda sucks.

They should use different models like they do in the other Elder Scroll games

BL-creature-Goblin_Skirmisher.jpg
    Edited by Iccotak on February 21, 2021 8:01PM
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It always annoys me how people argue against new races by saying the current 10 have always been in TES and it needs to stay that way, when new races have actually been added in past TES games. There are plenty of ways new races could be added in a way that’s explained by the lore. The lore should serve to enable and make sense of new game additions, not box-in and hinder innovation.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Urvoth wrote: »
    It always annoys me how people argue against new races by saying the current 10 have always been in TES and it needs to stay that way, when new races have actually been added in past TES games. There are plenty of ways new races could be added in a way that’s explained by the lore. The lore should serve to enable and make sense of new game additions, not box-in and hinder innovation.

That’s why you explore the ones that exist. There’s still more aspects of the existing races worth exploring more than just adding in a new race.
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Its going to happen at some point as new race added was an option in an feedback email poll. They are clearly aware there is huge fan demand for new races at this point. I actually think Maoromer would be a neutral race if added to the game allowed to join any of the alliances. The snow elves if ever added likely would ally with the daggerfall covenant though as they hate nords and there is some dwemer stuff over that way they could have hidden away in and on top of that could flesh out dwemer culture in High Rock/The Reach. I mean there is that little spot of untouched land by the reach that is part of High Rock would be neat if it was the top side area to the Snow Elf Lands and then the bulk of their nation was underground defended with a mix of repurposed dwemer tech, ice magic, and a fusion of ice golems with dwemer tech.
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, they should not be playable because:
    1)lore
    2)they never were playable in any other TES game
    3)atm you have 10 playable races that require constant balance changes
    4)plz, just... NO, game requires fixes, QoL improvements, other crucial changes but not another (pointless) race
    Edited by hands0medevil on February 21, 2021 9:18PM
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer Minotaurs first :B
    rynth wrote: »
    Besides adding these races doesn't hurt anything or anyone and only adds to the game and draws new/old players back.

It hurts the immersion and the internal logic of the game. When a race is established as universally reviled, extinct or labelled unintelligent by the general population and ruling class, then you can't really plop them into the already established quest chains.

A random farmer would not react to a goblin the same way he would to a Redguard and wouldn't ask for help from one.

Most likely race to be added would be Maormer as there are already established friendly encounters with them and they are similar enough to other elfs to not draw too much attention, but still would not expect them to be added anytime soon.

Much of what you say here about goblins could (and I believe were) said when Orcs were added as a playable race. It wasn't a particularly good argument then and age have not improved it any imo.

Personally I don't really care either way, hence why no vote.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    WARNING: longish post with pics

I don't think that other "new playable races" should be added....

That being said, anyone with sufficient creativity can take advantage of some in-game options to roleplay another race.

Here is an actual Maomer in the game:

9drowqe.png

Next one -
    This was my first attempt at a maomer (used dunmer rather than Altmer 'cause there were options for bluish skin/face which I felt caught the idea more even if not practical):

qEt3Ung.png

Then I got the "blind eyes" from a gifted crate (or something? not even sure) and added them in:

2ffvG8h.png

I do like her, but later I got to working with a Vampire character. Hated the vamp look, and tried various face paint options and skins, and ended up getting the "maomer" skin which at the time was available for gems.

Looks like this:

Zdv6BsL.png

You will notice that despite the "maomer" label it does NOT look like an in-game Maomer. Still, it worked for me sheerly on looks (as an improvement over the Vamp look) so I had to come up with a backstory...(because reasons).

So, here is a picture of her mum:

7Y6mbsW.jpg

And as for playable goblins, I do like the idea, just don't see it happening in any version of TES. Here is one of my totally fav goblins from Baldur's Gate 3 (also not [yet] a playble race):

PS I left the dialogue line at the bottom because it's just so perfectly "her"

p1awboh.jpg

Edited because tweaks..
    Edited by newtinmpls on February 21, 2021 11:53PM
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    ES has lots of races it could make playable. I want to see Maoromer, Snow Elves not the falmer oens from Skyrim but the actual elves, reach men, half giants, naga argonian, dremora, and goblins should all be playable. I'm kind of bored with the current selection.

The snow elves are gone already, impossible. Maoromer are quite literally hateful against all races on Tamriel. Reach Men are essentially wild-nords (And have no reason to do anything not involving The Reach. Half Giants are ultra rare, seeing as Lyris is the only one we see. Naga also hate quite literally everyone. Dremora have literally no reason to assist us. Goblins are also too stupid to comprehend most quest dialogues.

If you're bored with the current selection, I would suggest finding another fantasy game to be a part of. These current races have been the only playable races in ES for 10+ years. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

WoW and FFXIV are just a couple other fantasy universes that consistently add in playable races if you're wanting to explore some options.

Nah the Maoromer have a few members in the dragonguard in southern elswyr. They can totally be not evil if they want too. Remember black marsh was always "completely uninhabitable" so it was a convenient excuse to not go there in games. Just like before Skyrim it was nothing but snow and mead and no one wanted to go there. It needs lore to be developed and added. All the things I listed can all easily be added as the lore supports them being there. Also I said Naga Argonians not Naga the snake people. Snow Elves I think could easily be alive all they would need to do is be hidden away deep in some underground dwemer city and trying to make a comeback and could be a threat/allies. There is no reason to content or race deny and even an official email poll from last year had an option for stuff people would love to see and a new race was an option.

I think the only race that should never be playable is the rare exceptions like Dwemer.

Edit
    I also find it funny you say Dremora have no reason to help humans but in the Blackwood cinematic trailer there is Lyraneth helping mortals lol.

"Because of these extremely rare exceptions, there should be hundreds of these races running around without any npc batting an eye."
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Kadraeus
    Kadraeus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not in ESO because I don't think it would work, but I do hope there are new playable races for TES6
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    Only Templar Globins and they sing:

Put your left Globin
    Put your left Globout
    Put your left Globin
    And shake it all about
    Do the Pokey Pokey
    And turn yourself around.
    That's what it's all about.

Well done.
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not concern
    RedMuse wrote: »
    Besides adding these races doesn't hurt anything or anyone and only adds to the game and draws new/old players back.

It hurts the immersion and the internal logic of the game. When a race is established as universally reviled, extinct or labelled unintelligent by the general population and ruling class, then you can't really plop them into the already established quest chains.

A random farmer would not react to a goblin the same way he would to a Redguard and wouldn't ask for help from one.

Most likely race to be added would be Maormer as there are already established friendly encounters with them and they are similar enough to other elfs to not draw too much attention, but still would not expect them to be added anytime soon.

Much of what you say here about goblins could (and I believe were) said when Orcs were added as a playable race. It wasn't a particularly good argument then and age have not improved it any imo.

Call me back when Goblins get their hands on the Totem of Tiber Septim and use the Numidium to retroactively carve a place for themselves on the face of Nirn.

Tbh if you wanted a more relevant counterargument you should have brought up Necromancers. Not a race but as a person they are just as unlikely to go around randomly questing as a goblin.
    The playable roster was expanded only once tho. And it was first set up in TES2 before happening in TES3.

It's not even really about lore here, but quest dialogue. There are millions of lines in ESO already and they would absolutely have to be rewritten and re-recorded to accommodate for the new races, especially when they blatantly contradict the potential retcon.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Why has the OP still not fixed the typo in the title? My eyes are still bleeding.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Silaf
    Silaf
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    As much as i want a slave for my Altmer i don't know how people on tamriel would react in seeing one unchained in the streets.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Call me back when Goblins get their hands on the Totem of Tiber Septim and use the Numidium to retroactively carve a place for themselves on the face of Nirn.

Oh my god, I'm so happy I swallowed my pepsi before reading this!

You totally get an awesome for that.
  • WhereArtThouVampires
    WhereArtThouVampires
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    TwinLamps wrote: »
    Why not. If woodelf is playable.

????????????????????????????????????????????

Wood elves have always been playable in Elder Scrolls.
  • WhereArtThouVampires
    WhereArtThouVampires
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    ES has lots of races it could make playable. I want to see Maoromer, Snow Elves not the falmer oens from Skyrim but the actual elves, reach men, half giants, naga argonian, dremora, and goblins should all be playable. I'm kind of bored with the current selection.

The snow elves are gone already, impossible. Maoromer are quite literally hateful against all races on Tamriel. Reach Men are essentially wild-nords (And have no reason to do anything not involving The Reach. Half Giants are ultra rare, seeing as Lyris is the only one we see. Naga also hate quite literally everyone. Dremora have literally no reason to assist us. Goblins are also too stupid to comprehend most quest dialogues.

If you're bored with the current selection, I would suggest finding another fantasy game to be a part of. These current races have been the only playable races in ES for 10+ years. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

WoW and FFXIV are just a couple other fantasy universes that consistently add in playable races if you're wanting to explore some options.

Nah the Maoromer have a few members in the dragonguard in southern elswyr. They can totally be not evil if they want too. Remember black marsh was always "completely uninhabitable" so it was a convenient excuse to not go there in games. Just like before Skyrim it was nothing but snow and mead and no one wanted to go there. It needs lore to be developed and added. All the things I listed can all easily be added as the lore supports them being there. Also I said Naga Argonians not Naga the snake people. Snow Elves I think could easily be alive all they would need to do is be hidden away deep in some underground dwemer city and trying to make a comeback and could be a threat/allies. There is no reason to content or race deny and even an official email poll from last year had an option for stuff people would love to see and a new race was an option.

I think the only race that should never be playable is the rare exceptions like Dwemer.

Edit
    I also find it funny you say Dremora have no reason to help humans but in the Blackwood cinematic trailer there is Lyraneth helping mortals lol.

Why would a dremora walk around and help Farmer Brown find the dark elves that stole his cow?

Also much like what @NotaDaedraWorshipper said, 'ah yes because of these very rare exceptions that means there should be hundreds wandering around'
    Edited by WhereArtThouVampires on February 22, 2021 2:49AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay..... I do not want to see any more "officially playable races" because lore and reasons.

That being said,

I can see goblins, as they are basically humanoid and sentient.

I can see maomer, same reasons.

NO dwarves, they are gone. Period.

NO Daedra, they are not "reasonably playable" in that according to lore they don't have the potential for personality, growth and such.

Although... and this is a serious stretch... I could possibly see sload. Not the "redesigned anime slug" version that ESO sports, but the "basically an ameba" from the earlier lore descriptions, and how I would justify it (and have in fanfic) is by use of a similar sort of magic armor as used by the various flame and frost atronauchs to shape them into bipedal beings.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Edit

"Because of these extremely rare exceptions, there should be hundreds of these races running around without any npc batting an eye."

Storyline wise, other players don't really factor into it at all. You're all the vestige.
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I want more elder scrolls lore and new races. If this game doesn't add them then for all TES time and history it will be "too late". ESO is in 2e its time to add in a few more races of choice the reasonable ones like maoromer, snow elves, naga argonians, reachmen, and half giants.

These are all totally doable and can easily have lore explaining their resurgence in this time and later time. Todd doesn't want to add them because him and Bethesda are kind of lazy and hate these races and have no idea about the insane fan demand there is for new races to be added. It's a fantasy setting make stuff up and add lore to the setting.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want <snip> maoromer, snow elves, naga argonians, reachmen, and half giants.

Reachmen are just Bretons, they are already in game.

What is a Naga Argonian?
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Edit

Storyline wise, other players don't really factor into it at all. You're all the vestige.

True, but it still doesn't make much sense, and will be very immersion breaking to boot. The citizens of Tamriel would react if someone approached them and they weren't one of the ten common races. Altmer wouldn't exactly casually give quests to a maormer.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [playing a new/odd race] will be very immersion breaking to boot. The citizens of Tamriel would react if someone approached them and they weren't one of the ten common races. Altmer wouldn't exactly casually give quests to a maormer.

Well, the whole "vestige" thing seems to be the reason why all the dunmer dislike you at first (outlander); why strange people trust that you will help them and so forth.

I don't think race of any kind comes into it.

So what immersion is being broken? Not saying I disagree, just saying I don't get your argument.

Oh...and full face and body covering plate, and no one would be easily able to guess your race (presuming you had no tail).
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    IMO immersion of what other players are doing went out the window a LONG time ago, when we got giant flashy mounts, pets, skins and ***.

A dude can literally look like he's diseased, wearing a pink nordic bathtowl, but that's okay and totally reasonable to give quests to VS a goblin or whatever?
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Why would a dremora walk around and help Farmer Brown find the dark elves that stole his cow?

Because the Telvanni stole the cow for a secret magical ritual to take over Oblivion, so it's extremely urgent to get it back before everything's too late.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

But you don't look special because you're the vestige, so most npcs wouldn't even know, but treat you like a normal Altmer/Breton/Argonian/whatever.
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    What is a Naga Argonian?

This:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Naga
    You see them in Murkmire.
    Well, the whole "vestige" thing seems to be the reason why all the dunmer dislike you at first (outlander)

*laughs in dunmeri*
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Goblin can be a playable race, but there should be at least two restrictions:
    1) they should be killed on sight by any guards in all civilized places;
    2) they should not receive story quests from NPCs.
    And, of course, there should be no way to remove these restrictions, unless some mighty mage creates a full magical disguise, completely changing an appearance and a voice of a goblin.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I want <snip> maoromer, snow elves, naga argonians, reachmen, and half giants.

Reachmen are just Bretons, they are already in game.

What is a Naga Argonian?

Naga Argonians are a strange sub-race of argonians they have a more snake like head and tail but otherwise are nearly identical.
  • rynth
    rynth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

so all the different pets, mounts, skins, morphs, pet sorcs., huge bear all walking around a town/city isn't? with all the flaming mounts, skeletons, undead zombie morphs, daedra pets, etc, etc, etc, make your point well I do apologize but well pointless. Immersion is not a viable excuse to not add in other more "colorful" races with all the player content already in game.
    When asked what he would do for a Klondike bar. Grand Moff Tarkin said "why I would blow up Alderaan."
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

2E 583 - ESO

3E 427 - We meet a Dwemer in Morrowind
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Yagrum_Bagarn

So they can't be entirely gone in ESO
    Edited by Daemons_Bane on February 22, 2021 9:21AM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    2E 583 - ESO
    3E 427 - We meet a Dwemer in Morrowind
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Yagrum_Bagarn
    So they can't be entirely gone in ESO

Yagrum Bagarn is the last one. He didn't disappear with the others because he wasn't on Nirn at that time. But except for him, there's no one left since the Battle of Red Mountain in the 1st Era.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire