The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Class Changing Token

stankarp
stankarp
✭✭
We can change Race, we can change appearance, we can change name of a character but we CANNOT CHANGE CLASS FOR A CHARACTER. WHY? Given how many times ZOS change/nerf/stuff up a characters skill who's play style u get used to, is it not long overdue for a CLASS CHANGE TOKEN? I for one would be buying 2 the moment they became available. I find certain classes easi8er to play and more effective that others, and want to progress certain characters achievement points (my personal reason). So lets vote for a CLASS CHANGE TOKEN.

Class Changing Token 434 votes

Yes
67%
SirAndylei.aili_ESOthesilverball_ESOSolarikenk9mouseWillardck37090daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOThrudra_Magia DarcyMardinnihoumab14_ESOMrGhostyNirntrotterKendaricJanus_CruentiApoAlaiaRazielSRKitLightningSnowstriderNic727 292 votes
No
32%
kcrayner_ESOBlueRavenMalkivtohopka_esoThorntonguehaploeb14_ESOAwesomestMattAlurriasarahvhoffb14_ESOxaraanlolo_01b16_ESOsanthoranb16_ESOgresiacGythralmichaelemanuel11b16_ESOTheForFeeFRapscallion74MasterWarriorMitrengaGwynde 142 votes
  • TheForFeeF
    TheForFeeF
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The only reason for class changes is because people don't want to give up all the achievements players have done on their main character. The better thing to do would be to make achievements account wide rather than per character.

If you want to play a different class, ZoS gives you character slots for that purpose.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    TheForFeeF wrote: »
    The better thing to do would be to make achievements account wide rather than per character.

I agree achievements account wide is a must!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • IIILaaLaaIII
    IIILaaLaaIII
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    I have voted yes however, account wide achievements would also be a great improvement
  • Smarty97
    Smarty97
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    Just joined the forums to take part in this discussion. I want to be able to change my main. Please ZOS, implement this 🙂 Has anyone recent official statements in that regard?
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    stankarp wrote: »
    We can change Race, we can change appearance, we can change name of a character but we CANNOT CHANGE CLASS FOR A CHARACTER. WHY? Given how many times ZOS change/nerf/stuff up a characters skill who's play style u get used to, is it not long overdue for a CLASS CHANGE TOKEN? I for one would be buying 2 the moment they became available. I find certain classes easi8er to play and more effective that others, and want to progress certain characters achievement points (my personal reason). So lets vote for a CLASS CHANGE TOKEN.

Yes.

If any game in the universe needs a way to change your class, then it is this one.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    While I agree it would be difficult to implement in the game I surely hope they consider adding it in the future.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The only reason for class changes is because people don't want to give up all the achievements players have done on their main character. The better thing to do would be to make achievements account wide rather than per character.

If you want to play a different class, ZoS gives you character slots for that purpose.

Not quite. The reason I do not want to make a new character is for achievements, yes (but only because they unlock dyes), but also because I spent years going through all the story missions and exploring all the zones. Re-doing all of that is just a chore and not fun (for me. If others find it fun then they can make new characters). Story content is really only exciting and new the first time you do it. Doing it all though has changed the state of the world and has given my character acquaintances and a history. I don't want to give THAT up.

So if I try a new class and go "Oh, that's cool. I'd like to play as this style for a while" because using the same class for years can get a bit stale, I am looking at just re-doing a bunch of stuff I have already done... which is enough of a deterrent to just not try new things. So instead I just stop playing the game for months/years at a time until the idea of playing my character seems fun again.

If there was a class change token available, I could just try out a new skillset when the gameplay got stale. I would pay them for the token, continue paying subscription, and continue encouraging my friends to join me. Instead I just quit and they loose that money. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who does this.

People who jump around from class to class a lot and don't care about playing on a character that has a history of world interaction will still just make alts. They will still buy the skyshard and mount unlocks. ZOS will still make their money off those things like they are now.
  • Anonx31st
    Anonx31st
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Zos has chosen to keep Alik'r Dolmen grinding up for many years now. If you want to play another class, then level another alt, like every other MMO has done before it. With Alik'r Dolmen grinding, I lvled 5 new alts in 10 hours each. It's not hard to level another alt in this game.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Anonx31st wrote: »
    Zos has chosen to keep Alik'r Dolmen grinding up for many years now. If you want to play another class, then level another alt, like every other MMO has done before it. With Alik'r Dolmen grinding, I lvled 5 new alts in 10 hours each. It's not hard to level another alt in this game.

It's not about leveling an alt to 50, there are tons of skill points one must collect, leveling up skill lines, skills, train your mount...etc.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Not EVERY other MMO. The game that handles this idea best IMO is FFXIV. In that game you have a character who does story things and quests and whatnot, but their class/job isn't static. You can change at will and the game remembers your hotbar/gear for every single one so you can literally swap with one click anywhere not in combat or in instanced content.

BUT every class is lvled individually.

They could TOTALLY implement that here. Allow you to swap classes at the skill reset shrine for a price but keep each class's level independent. You want to try DK? Fine, you are now a lvl 1 DK but all of your completed content is persistent. Grind them up and learn to play as a DK from lvl 1. You would keep all your non-class skill lines at the state they are in but your class ones would start at 0. If you would rather just make a new character and grind quests you have already done, then sure... no one is saying take that away.

Or make the swap cost a token so that they can monetize it... but mechanically, I think going this route would be the best middle ground and make everyone happy enough.
  • Anonx31st
    Anonx31st
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Sealish wrote: »

Not EVERY other MMO. The game that handles this idea best IMO is FFXIV. In that game you have a character who does story things and quests and whatnot, but their class/job isn't static. You can change at will and the game remembers your hotbar/gear for every single one so you can literally swap with one click anywhere not in combat or in instanced content.

BUT every class is lvled individually.

They could TOTALLY implement that here. Allow you to swap classes at the skill reset shrine for a price but keep each class's level independent. You want to try DK? Fine, you are now a lvl 1 DK but all of your completed content is persistent. Grind them up and learn to play as a DK from lvl 1. You would keep all your non-class skill lines at the state they are in but your class ones would start at 0. If you would rather just make a new character and grind quests you have already done, then sure... no one is saying take that away.

Or make the swap cost a token so that they can monetize it... but mechanically, I think going this route would be the best middle ground and make everyone happy enough.

FF11 and FF14 doesn't offer a cash shop to change your classes, it's a built in feature that is part of the MMO series lol.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    FF11 and FF14 doesn't offer a cash shop to change your classes, it's a built in feature that is part of the MMO series lol.

And it is a good feature. Games take inspiration from each other all the time, and just because it isn't monetized there doesn't mean that is can't be monetized here (because you know that the only way we will get a class change feature is if it can be monetized).

It is a feature that fits well into the Elder Scrolls world too, because this is the only elder scrolls game to date that doesn't allow you to change up your playstyle and have access to all the skills in the game on one character. I get locking people into one class at a time, but allowing people to jump between them really should have been a feature from day 1.
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I would only vote yes if they reset every skills and level back to 0 and you need to grind all the shards, lorebooks, and etcetera all over again.
    Edited by Nastassiya on April 30, 2021 10:22PM
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Eh, no.
    they/them/theirs
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Nastassiya wrote: »
    I would only vote yes if they reset every skills back to 0 and you need to grind all the shards, lorebooks, and etcetera all over again.

What would be the point in this? The game already has enough time sinks without needing everyone to re-do meaningless fetch grinding. That is part of the draw to changing your class vs creating a new character. Getting to still have the things you worked hard on and never want to do again because they are boring to do again.

If you had to re-do everything you already did, it would be the same as making a new character and you would miss the mark for the type of people who would be interested in this feature at all.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

From years of playing MMORPGs I agree with this and what the best solution is.
  • Lord_Wrath
    Lord_Wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say get rid of classes and open up the skills from them for all to use. More freedom Elder Scrolls style. Want to tank? Use DK skills for tanking. Want to be a healer? Use Templar skills. Etc. Let race define your strength.
    1300+ CP | Lørd Wrath | - Sorcerer - Palatine - Grand Master Crafter - 30000 Achievement Points
    Launch Player - PC - NA - EP
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I would only vote yes if they reset every skills back to 0 and you need to grind all the shards, lorebooks, and etcetera all over again.

What would be the point in this? The game already has enough time sinks without needing everyone to re-do meaningless fetch grinding. That is part of the draw to changing your class vs creating a new character. Getting to still have the things you worked hard on and never want to do again because they are boring to do again.

If you had to re-do everything you already did, it would be the same as making a new character and you would miss the mark for the type of people who would be interested in this feature at all.

If this is all boring then you're playing the wrong MMO. This is how ZOS and the ESO take has molded this TES world. The crown store has many of the shortcuts already in place for you to take. Spend a day and you can have a new character at level 50. Spend the crowns and you can carry over the skill lines. What you propose is pretty much gut out a lot of the cost. You'd rather spend 2k crowns and reset the characters class. ZOS would rather you make a new character and spend the crowns for all the skyshards and grindy skill lines. Plenty of us had already spent a day leveling a new character and spent plenty of crowns to carry over the skill lines for our alts. Many more just did it the old fashion way and grinded both level and skill lines.

What I see is you don't want to pay the expensive cost of what is actually already offered to you. A day is nothing but you just don't want to pay the heavy bag crowns to carry over the skills, which they already allow you to do so.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    More options is good. Those who don't want class change ability can simply not buy them. Me changing class does not hurt your game. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Lord_Wrath wrote: »
    I say get rid of classes and open up the skills from them for all to use. More freedom Elder Scrolls style. Want to tank? Use DK skills for tanking. Want to be a healer? Use Templar skills. Etc. Let race define your strength.

Although this would be wonderful, it would also cause so many balance issues and introduce so much redundancy that in the game's current state... I don't think it would work. It would also cause crazy power creep because of all the passives stacking.

Rather, maybe let us pick three class skill lines to equip at once and let us mix and match that way. Allow the chosen ones to be swapped at the skill respec shrine. If an open skill system was to be proposed.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

People who jump around from class to class a lot and don't care about playing on a character that has a history of world interaction will still just make alts. They will still buy the skyshard and mount unlocks. ZOS will still make their money off those things like they are now.

I for one do not buy mount training or skyshards or other skill lines (mages, fighters, psijic etc). I like leveling each of my alts (56 at last count, with 4 more happening in Blackwood) through everything the game has to offer - except pvp and group content.

If there had been an "Other" option I would have chosen that one....

• Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

I for one do not buy mount training or skyshards or other skill lines (mages, fighters, psijic etc). I like leveling each of my alts (56 at last count, with 4 more happening in Blackwood) through everything the game has to offer - except pvp and group content.

If there had been an "Other" option I would have chosen that one....

And the beauty of introducing a class change mechanic is that people like you can just keep doing with 0 impact. Other people getting to enjoy the game more the way they want doesn't take away from you getting to enjoy it the way you like at all in this instance.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It might depending on how much dev time is taken from other things in order to enable this. But all else being equal, I wouldn't object - as long as it was totally optional - and my feeling is that ZOS isn't particularly good at that sort of thing.
  • Sealish
    Sealish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    It might depending on how much dev time is taken from other things in order to enable this. But all else being equal, I wouldn't object - as long as it was totally optional - and my feeling is that ZOS isn't particularly good at that sort of thing.

True, development time is a valid concern. The game already seems to have the frameworks in place to do this though.

They can add new skill lines to characters (they have already many times), they can have dynamic skill lines (Vampire and Werewolf), and those dynamic skill lines can hold their levels even when disabled.

The simplest way to do this it would seem, would be to add all skill lines to every player and then have all but three of the class ones hidden depending on what class is selected (like how WW and Vamp work). When a new class is selected, the skill points allocated to class skills can be refunded automatically and three new skill lines can be revealed while the old three are hidden; their progress and levels maintained until needed again.

The game can already do this and the character data in their database can already work in this manner. It is just a matter of implementation.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It's been like 2 years we have threads about that. I'm surprised the devs didn't make anything yet about that.

It would be so easy to do a system where when you change classes, it just reset your stats and you just re-allocate your skills points in the new skill tree.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I would only vote yes if they reset every skills and level back to 0 and you need to grind all the shards, lorebooks, and etcetera all over again.

Player not interested in a feature, therefore nobody should have that feature!

I'm for it, but this is a ZOS game, & I am surprised they haven't monetized the digital air our character breathes.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 10, 2021 7:15PM
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    This is badly needed for long timer players who have been capped at 18 alts for years.

The alternative would be for them to add ~4 more character slots, as it would stave off the burnout factor for a time. But deleting characters that people have seriously invested in will not be something most are willing to do. WoW currently gives you a total of 50 slots for rolling alts, which is what keeps a huge portion of the community playing.

I am really hoping part of the Microsoft plan for new servers involves database capacity for more character slots. If that doesn't happen, being able to re-roll a current character in a new direction with a class change would be decent alternative, at least in the short term.
  • fbours
    fbours
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There are different ways to resolve some of the issues people mention here. Make skills shards account wide, ZOS did but they slapped $$, achievements account wide, mount riding, bag space, etc.

Changing class main will be a disaster, everyone will continue to follow the meta/form class, diversity will be close to none. People now days do not want to play MMORPGs.

I like my main, I've main it since I started ESO, while it was the worst class to now being good. In the good and the bad it will be my main.

But I agree, a lot of things should be account wide, that said class change token is not the solution.

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C- Other

I am of the opinion that once a character has completed Cadwell's Gold, they should have the ability to reclass. It should be earned. It should be hard to do, and a testament to you mastering your current class, so it means more. Allowing this would give people something to earn, revitalize quest zones, and would give Cadwell's Gold a better reward than it currently has.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • priestnall.andrewrwb17_ESO
    Yes
    Yeah at this stage the grind to 50 is so easy - 1 zones quests, non dlc dungeon quests (as healer), Craglorn... done, might as well have a class change token for convenience. That being said, even if it was implemented, I’d rather just grind the new class.