The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companions: a Breakdown of the New Feature by Rich Lambert

• Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LannStone wrote: »
    My memory of companions in Skyrim, especially Lydia, is them just getting in the way and dying and me leaving them at home - we'll have to see how this really works out

I have the same concern that companions will always be in the way much like the existing NPC quest companions are.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tank: 'Please take off that Daedroth monster set, thank you!
    *Resumes tanking*
    Tank: 'Please remove those cosmetic pets, thank you!'
    *Resumes tanking*
    Tank: 'Oh for the love of Mara! Please remove those companions!'
    *MagsorcX2pet666 has joined the group*
    Tank: 'I'm done!'
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on February 10, 2021 2:57PM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pocket healer confirmed
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just really hope they're as interesting and interactive and immerse as Rich is clearly trying to make them sound. They have preferences, interacting with them in certain ways unlocks new dialogue options and quests, you can uncover their backstory and they have a character arc - this all sounds super awesome. I just really want them to deliver on these promises. I play Elder Scrolls games for the amazing lore and the freedom to explore this epic world and role-play a cool character, and having interesting companions is a great part of that that we haven't gotten to experience yet in ESO. Don't get me wrong, we have quested alongside some characters I love like Abnur Tharn, Fennorian, Xukas, and Jaxsik-Orrn, but what they're talking about now is leaps and bounds more complex than any NPC behaviour we've seen so far.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very excited for this feature. As a person who solos and has had more horrible experiences with other players than good ones. I think this is a good thing. I have been playing MMOs since dare I say Neverwinter nights on AOL where it was a pvp turn based game. Our guild were skin changers who rpged wolves. PVP turn based was great, but we also had to listen to the people we fought say the most vile things. Even when I moved to another game and only pved a healer had to listen to those who blamedthe healer for every fight lost. The abuse of other players on other players can be very bad. Turned me off of grouping with others for a long time. Glad we are getting companions. Thanks ESO Devs
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rather curious as to how realistic they're going to be. The companions that we've gotten so far are usually more of a hindrance that anything else. They get in the way, don't die, don't help in a fight, though they do draw some aggro on occasion.

So do the new companions die? Can we get them killed? Do we have to res them or do they res themselves? Do they count as a player so that we can heal them if they're tanking? Because of players are suppose to interact with them, the more realistic they are the better.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    A New Article interview with Rich Lambert - who discussed part of why the team went with companions instead of another class or skill line.

https://www.mmorpg.com/interviews/companions-deadlands-and-avoiding-formulaic-updates-an-interview-with-elder-scrolls-onlines-creative-director-2000120920

Did their website die? All I get is a loading screen.

Edit: Strangely, it works on other devices but not my PC.

I edited my comment to include important info from the article

EDIT: Now put into the post as well
    Edited by Iccotak on February 10, 2021 6:21PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the summary, good to learn a bit more about the upcoming companion system.

Nice to read that you can equip gear, pick the role and skills that the companion uses. I am curious how much resist the companions will have because it will probably hard for them to follow mechanics, avoid AOEs, dodge or block attacks. A pocket healer or tank would go a long way for most normal dungeons, maybe it will allow less experienced players to practice more with a rotation because the companion tank can hold aggro for example. Overall I think the companion system will be useful for solo play, especially for beginners. I hope it will be possible to fully pick the gear, skills, rotation and outfit. It would be fun to make a support companion that mainly focuses on buffing and a bit of healing. And hopefully the companion has an inventory so you can use them as storage as well, I really liked that feature in Skyrim.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    I guess that means companions will be WAY too overpowered for the questing experience in Overland. I'm currently gearless and CP-less to eek out the smallest amount of challenge in the Overland (which mostly just slows down the fights--I'm still in no real danger of dying). I guess my companion would have to be equally naked as well, perhaps fighting with only their fists.

I will use my companion only for dungeons and world bosses. You don't have to use it for all overland content
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But is there anything PvP related in this chapter? Like anything?
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artorias24 wrote: »

Nope. Honestly, I rarely PvP and even I think the game could use some new Battlegrounds maps, or a new PvP mode, or something.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish they talk to us directly someday in our language and not those same lines over and over for the press.
    Balancing multiplayer and solo activities in ESO is par for the course for ZeniMax, and the MMO has certainly gotten better at balancing this for players over the years. Since its reveal in 2012, it felt at odds with those two identities, but over time the team behind the MMORPG has found its groove, especially as they’ve rolled out these yearly stories and chapter releases. However, that then begs the question: is it becoming too formulaic? For some, it might be approaching that territory, and the team is well aware of the feedback.

Yeah it's pretty formulaic getting only one trial, set amount of quests, delves, public dungeons etc. Set amount of sets introduced which mostly leading to most of them being useless just because someone at zos needs to create some, not that the game needs those new ones.
    "I think you’re always gonna see that kind of feedback in games – especially games that have been around for a long time, that release content at a regular cadence. ‘Oh I know what’s coming.’ And then they go in and play it and they’re like, ‘Holy *** I didn’t actually know what was coming. This is way different than I thought.’ I think there is a bit of that in there, but it’s definitely something that we internally take a look at and try to be as mindful of as possible.”

Well, getting something different doesn't mean getting something good, I respect the intention but further reading gave me a feeling that they don't really played their more recent content yet or have no idea what's actually was released to public.
    Part of the ways the team can combat this is by the features they are releasing with the MMO every year – and ensuring they feel different enough to not fall into that “formulaic” trap. Antiquities with last year’s Greymoor release helped contribute to that, giving players an entirely new way to enjoy ESO. Companions is just another extension of that desire and push to give players more ways to play the MMO, instead of simply adding a new class, like Elsweyr’s Necromancer a few years back.

I'm puzzled about that entire new way of enjoying eso as I never encountered it throughout the year. Before you slayed things, you got the map and dig the "treasure", now you get the lead and... Dig the treasure? Oh, it was meant about this mobile game I'm playing in-between? And if companions are on the same spectrum... Oh boy, oh boy... Hope it's not that quest dummies running behind you.
    "For us, Companions was a lot more interesting and a lot more compelling than a new class. And so, you know, that’s what we’re focused on. You know, same thing with Antiquities. I really love the idea of exploring how to add new alternate activities to the game. That’s one of the ways that we try to solve the formulaic issue that you brought up, right? Where if we do things and we mix things up a little bit differently, or we give you an avenue to play ESO a completely different way, that’s really good. And that changes kind of how players play the game and what they can expect.”

So basically it was more fun to develop which is surely understandable. But second year back to back main chapter features are non existent for most players I've talked with. Mini game and new map rewards plus some new gear locked behind, new way of getting furniture, cool. Companion to solo unsoloable dungeons for the story quest on normal and some new voice lines along the way, nice. But even still to this day pretty unbaked necromancer gave a lot of replayability to the game which I can't see coming with new features. At least for me it's more like not getting any features second year now. New cp system will surely give me more than those two combined.

And don't get me wrong, there should be stuff for everyone and some people surely would enjoy it, but it's a years biggest release for them and two years straight I personally see nothing of value.

Maybe that's just me but I want them to show this "entirely new way of playing eso" with those new features.

Thanks for collecting info for us though!
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Honestly, I rarely PvP and even I think the game could use some new Battlegrounds maps, or a new PvP mode, or something.

imo every chapter and zone dlc should include new battlegrounds
  • Raegwyr
    Raegwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny how Rich in this quote mentioned above said that they want to surprise players yet they use same stale format for new content (year: 4 dungeons, big zone with trial, small zone (with possible smaller end game thing like arena, mini trial or nothing at all) or for their chapters (big zone, one trial, two public dungeons, six delves, dolmens, one new system). I think "formulaic" was a good way to describe zos content from last two years.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just really hope they're as interesting and interactive and immerse as Rich is clearly trying to make them sound. They have preferences, interacting with them in certain ways unlocks new dialogue options and quests, you can uncover their backstory and they have a character arc - this all sounds super awesome. I just really want them to deliver on these promises.

They tried to sell antiquities as an Indiana Jones movie. I'll remain sceptical until we hear and see more.
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually couldnt care less about a new battleground Map. I cant choose Map nor gamemode so chances are that i play on the new map really really low and even then whats so special about a new map.

Last year we got a new siege weapon wich is also close to nothing.

So far as a pure PvP player i dont see any reason to buy that chapter. Even pre ordering is a joke from zos when i dont even know what i will get.
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'll say, apart from how absolutely awesome this sounds, is that I hope Bastian and Mary are placeholder names that will be changed to something more lore friendly before launch. I just don't think these sound very appropriate for an Imperial and especially for a Dunmer.
    I agree with Mary being a weird name for a female Dunmer(unless it's her nickname) but Bastian works for a male Imperial. Not all Imperial names end with "us" and "ius". Sylvian and Carusian come to mind.

Edited by Leogon on February 11, 2021 2:44PM
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Eld Angavar is pretty cool as a map, the portal element does add a bit of different flavour to the game. ZOS is full of creative people so I'm sure they could use the environment to add some strategic possibilities. But you're right, as things are a new map is largely just a chance of scenery, and it's not like you get a lot of chance to admire your surrounding in a Battleground. A new mode would probably be more valuable, but that said of all the Battlegrounds I did during Midyear Mayhem only one was Capture the Relic and frankly I had forgotten it even existed by that point, so whether the random is really random is another question.

Cyrodiil has also been pretty samey for a long time other than the addition of Volendrung. Maybe another similar dynamic world event, like have Boethiah randomly spawn a portal at active areas and take the first 12 players to jump in and pit them all against each other regardless of alliance. Last man standing gets the Ebony Blade which is powerful but temporary, and enables friendly fire and will kill you if you don't feed it with souls. Good luck not killing your own people...or do kill them, you traitor.

I realize that would have high potential to be a griefing tool, but it's not like players haven't found ways to game the system with scrolls, the hammer, etc.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leogon wrote: »
    I agree with Mary being a weird name for a female Dunmer(unless it's her nickname) but Bastian works for a male Imperial. Not all Imperial names end with "us" and "ius". Sylvian and Carusian come to mind.

You mean Carausius and Silvanus? The thing is, most male Roman names do indeed end with -us (there are rare exceptions, but there is normally a masculine ending like -us or -o), but are shortened in later literature, and especially in English, but also in a few other languages ("Lucianus" becoming "Lucian", "Vergilius" becoming "Virgil", "Sallustius" becoming "Sallust", etc.). These short forms weren't their real historical names, though.

That said, "Bastian" would be totally acceptable as a short form for "Bastianus". But - he's not called "Bastian", but "Bastion", as I read... which has a French tone to it (although I don't know if that could really be used as a French name?), but definitively not a Latin one. Although we shouldn't worry about it now, I think, as it is quite possible that they change the names before release.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A YouTuber finally got around to putting my post in video format 🤣
    https://youtu.be/0fL9ilKDnU4
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get a Sench-Raht that is both mount and companion?
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get how a system that replaces real people with AI is fostering real social interactions. If anything, it alienates people even more.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess my companion would have to be equally naked as well
    wow, slow down a bit... Lambert did mention romance but you're taking this too far!

Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    I guess my companion would have to be equally naked as well
    wow, slow down a bit... Lambert did mention romance but you're taking this too far!
    You have no idea just how far I intend to take this, sir.

• Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get how a system that replaces real people with AI is fostering real social interactions. If anything, it alienates people even more.

because it can encourage two people with companions to try out group content.

it encourages solo players to try things with a close friend, or make a close bond with someone that they'd be willing to try content out with - like dungeons.

by easing them into that content they can get used to interacting with other people and become more comfortable with group content
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such an intersting post. thankyou.
    The summery of the video you did helped me identify where i am on the chart, an intovert with breakup issues :/

I wasnt sure what to think when they announced that companions were coming to ESO but im pretty excited now i understand their purpose.

I really hope their AI is better than the warden bear though and i hope they can use the outfit station as well lol :)
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on February 18, 2021 2:29PM
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my companion in solo arenas :trollface:
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really, in a virtual world one would need virtual friends. Let's say as an alternative to IRL "Friends"?
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if the player=support, companion=DD model will be viable. It would let us develop characters for the support roles while still doing the "solo" parts of the game at the lower levels. Currently you have to play a new character as DD to do the solo quests, and specialize them as tank or healer later. If you can get a companion to do the damage early enough, then you can build a tank or healer from the outset.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The possibilities are endless, I have these huge houses and some small ones too. Wouldn't it be nice if you could invite a NPC who you adventured with in the past and loved the interaction over to your home for a friendly get together. Maybe they could develop a quest line that starts with a companion or past adventuring NPC by starting it in your home over dinner and drinks. Endless possibilities here. I would love to invite titanborne, said sahan, or Tharn over. An epic quest to unlock a piece of gear, ora skill or a unique something? I know the AI is there.