The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Companions: a Breakdown of the New Feature by Rich Lambert

• SshadowSscale
    SshadowSscale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot wait for the lower end of dps players to get out dpsed by their own companions lol
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest concern about companions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIK-y7SA9eo
  • deleted210809-001958
    romance with AI? in mmo? and i thought that guy from "Blade Runner" is crazy
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no matter what, we're all making Pocket Healers, right?
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they turn out good enough for some vet run shenanigans.

Would be epic to be able to solo vet hard modes.
    Edited by Ryuvain on March 24, 2021 6:22AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cireous wrote: »
    I guess that means companions will be WAY too overpowered for the questing experience in Overland. I'm currently gearless and CP-less to eek out the smallest amount of challenge in the Overland (which mostly just slows down the fights--I'm still in no real danger of dying). I guess my companion would have to be equally naked as well, perhaps fighting with only their fists.

Just imagine it on a bot... don't have to move for xp
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait ...

Companion gear ? Is that regular gear companion can equip, or is it a new kind of item ?

Companion skills ? Is that specific skill line, or can we pick from our characters skills ?
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »

Say for a sample , do you trust the tank companion could solve all mechanics in ROM HM when duo play ? :)

There are so many priorities , keep boss 100% taunted uptime , roll dodge the 1st mini poison heavy attack , self healing , adds grabbing (Stonesharper) , break the correct stone pillar , well ...companion won't speak , I really have no idea how he knows the correct stone pillar or how he tell me the right one , I don't think dev could create a good companion .
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »
    Ryuvain wrote: »

Say for a sample , do you trust the tank companion could solve all mechanics in ROM HM when duo play ? :)

There are so many priorities , keep boss 100% taunted uptime , roll dodge the 1st mini poison heavy attack , self healing , adds grabbing (Stonesharper) , break the correct stone pillar , well ...companion won't speak , I really have no idea how he knows the correct stone pillar or how he tell me the right one , I don't think dev could create a good companion .

Mechanics I have no idea about, but if they want companions to truly work they have to do something. Maybe less mechanics or the companion just auto completes them?

I doubt that they will have just as much health as a player due to being npcs. Your npc companion tank would probably have raid boss health lol.
    Edited by Ryuvain on March 24, 2021 7:14AM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
  • Caupo
    Caupo
    ✭✭✭
    Kyatos wrote: »
    romance with AI? in mmo? and i thought that guy from "Blade Runner" is crazy
    SWTOR does it very well.

MerguezMan wrote: »
    Wait ...

Companion gear ? Is that regular gear companion can equip, or is it a new kind of item ?

Companion skills ? Is that specific skill line, or can we pick from our characters skills ?
    Companion gear idea is not the best, if only cosmetic.
    Edited by Caupo on March 24, 2021 7:42AM
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
  • Orion_89
    Orion_89
    ✭✭✭✭
    JMadFour wrote: »

I'd rather pocket tank, while my sorc will heal and damage enemies. Well as I always do in the group where healer is useless meat.
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Put in the dungeons part of the year-long story
    > Create a public pets companions
    > Solo players start to buying a DLC dungeons
    > Profit
    :D
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "you can equip gear on them, you can assign them to a specific role; so if you need a tank, you can have them go tanky, or healer or damage dealer. You can set their skills that they use and the order they use them in."

What role requires more of a "human touch"? Maybe leave the companions to dps, while heal and tank should be human? Would love to read your opinions!

Im a bit worried about the tanking. We will have to wait and see. I think dps then healing are probably the easiest for an AI to do.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As of right now I intend my main companion ( One I will run with the most) to be a healer. Plan to have one of each though for situational uses. Will probably also change which I run with as more come out. Im excited just to have them but neither of the ones at launch are my ideal traveling partner.

That is quen <3
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'd really like about Companions is for them to not have collisions as very well demonstrated by the video above (no more flapping birds and alike, always blocking wayshrines); for them to be hidden for other players outside their groups (no super crowded cities with endless clones of the same NPC — it's weird); for them to be smart, for example, knowing all dungeons' mechanics, how to get positioned and so on; but the most important, for them to have a good sense of humour and, in the case, we get to talk face-to-face with them, good looks and good voice-actors (it's more than enough me to be the ugly one around).

When I played Skyrim I tested A LOT of followers, not because I needed, but because I always liked the concept. Be them native or from mods, in the end, very little of them caught my attention. Serana is my TES' Sandra Bullock. Loved her but, eventually, even her got boring with the same lines over and over again (that mod that expanded his lines did a marvellous job that really improved her); Jenassa, the super-aggressive, temperamental and always on PMS-state mercenary (:lol:), Lydia, for the sarcasm (though I played very little with her); INIGO (from a mod, cool and complex 'til I got sick of his voice)
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super excited to learn more about Companions this Wednesday and Thursday--oops, maybe just on April 16 :relaxed:
    • Please let us interact with them in our homes
    [snip]

[edited to remove discussion of mod action]

^someone may need to rein the anti-fun police in
    Edited by Cireous on March 31, 2021 3:38PM
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not necessarily....

I'm thinking "Mary the Meatbag"

5 piece Green Pact

5 piece Fortified Brass

2 piece Chudan

B)
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can we put constumes and/or outfit styles on our companions?
  • echo2omega
    echo2omega
    ✭✭✭
    There is going to be one MASSIVE issue with companions.

If the companions are NOT good enough at tanking/dps/healing then no one will want to use them since they are inadequate at filling a particular role.
    HOWEVER if the companion are too good then you are alienating players. Why take a player when a companion does a better job at fulfilling a role.

So what level of content will companion be able to fulfill?
    Overland?
    Public Dungeons?
    Normal dungeons?
    DLC Normal dungeons?
    Normal Trials?

How about veteran dungeons?
    or DLC Veteran dungeons?
    Veteran DLC hard mode +speed run +no death dungeons?
    Trials?

Are the companions going to be able to handle boss fight mechanics effectively? or are they going to have to be micromanaged to death?

And more to the point. What kind of DPS will the companion do?
    Lets be honest. Most players can barely break the 20k barrier. and the gulf between bad dps (20k) and amazing dps (100k+) is enormous. There is a VERY FINE LINE between not good enough and way too good.

• renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People in Craglorn like "Dps/healer/tank lf [trial] NO COMPANIONS". Or having to confirm the trial you're agreeing to has 11 other REAL people.

Please god please just confirm they won't fill spots for Group Finder.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So did that gameinformer article linked in the first post get edited at some point, or am I really the first person to click on it and notice that the companions' names are Bastian and Mirri, not Bastion and Mary? :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another skill line to grind.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please, not
    here a bear there a bear, everywhere a bear (reskined as Lyris)!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    So did that gameinformer article linked in the first post get edited at some point, or am I really the first person to click on it and notice that the companions' names are Bastian and Mirri, not Bastion and Mary? :D

I noticed that too ... :D
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me a lot of how Star Wars the Old Republic handled npc companions they had a story they had romanceable ones they limited it to one per character originally they went for each npc companion has a certain role (dps, healer, tank) but then changed it to you can set their role and you can change their gear.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily....

I'm thinking "Mary the Meatbag"

5 piece Green Pact

5 piece Fortified Brass

2 piece Chudan

B)

I was thinking more ebon and worm cult or similar, so that if they are not hugely useful you just hang buff armour off them.

We probably do have some idea how they will work. There are numerous quests already where someone or a few people follow you around like a lost puppy and throw the odd heal or dps like a confused tank.

Now the fortified brass I want on my bear even if only cosmetic 8)

Too many toons not enough time
  • Tharonil
    Tharonil
    ✭✭✭
    echo2omega wrote: »

If the companions are NOT good enough at tanking/dps/healing then no one will want to use them since they are inadequate at filling a particular role.
    HOWEVER if the companion are too good then you are alienating players. Why take a player when a companion does a better job at fulfilling a role.

Overland?
    Public Dungeons?
    Normal dungeons?
    DLC Normal dungeons?
    Normal Trials?

or DLC Veteran dungeons?
    Trials?

Are the companions going to be able to handle boss fight mechanics effectively? or are they going to have to be micromanaged to death?

Lets be honest. Most players can barely break the 20k barrier. and the gulf between bad dps (20k) and amazing dps (100k+) is enormous. There is a VERY FINE LINE between not good enough and way too good.

I don't see a problem here. If you liked to play in group, you will continue playing with other players.

I played solo before and i will play solo in future, but now I (maybe) can play content i couldn't do before.

For me companions are a win, no matter how much damage they will make.
    Even if they hit like a noodle with 1k dps, it's free added dps :smile:
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tharonil wrote: »

Overland?
    Public Dungeons?
    Normal dungeons?
    DLC Normal dungeons?
    Normal Trials?

or DLC Veteran dungeons?
    Trials?

I don't see a problem here. If you liked to play in group, you will continue playing with other players.

I played solo before and i will play solo in future, but now I (maybe) can play content i couldn't do before.

Agreed, I don't really see a downside besides them not being amazing. Then again it's help regardless of how little, otherwise it would be no help at all.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tharonil wrote: »

Overland?
    Public Dungeons?
    Normal dungeons?
    DLC Normal dungeons?
    Normal Trials?

or DLC Veteran dungeons?
    Trials?

Unless of course you go into a group in GF and it turns out the 4th person is a fake player.

It REALLY needs to be confirmed if fake players will be an additional issue we have to deal with on top of fake tanks and fake healers in Group Finder.
  • Abelon
    Abelon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope these companions will be similar to ones in Skyrim, and will have things to say. Bits of lore to share about locations and so on.

It's okay if they don't though, I am very excited for this feature anyways. I don't like the idea of my character exploring overworld all alone, it's more fun with a "friend."