The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PSA: "Loot Spying" is NOT a Malicious Feature

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else had this experience? I’ve seen it multiple times.

Go into a dungeon, state what item you’re looking for, others state what whey need. There’s no overlap in loot desired, and you all say things like “it’s yours if I find it”. Then at the end someone gets the item you’ve been looking for, doesn’t link it it chat, drops group and won’t reply to whispers.

I’m guessing they just lie at the beginning to try to scam you into sharing what they need with no intention of helping you. Those are the players that fear group loot addons, the dishonest ones with something to hide. Anyone else could politely say at the beginning, “I’m also looking for that item, and I’ll need to keep it if I get one”.

I think your first mistake is thinking you are entitled to other peoples drops.

And secondly, how exactly is someone going to "scam you" doing this? And no, not giving you their gear drop is not a scam.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

Go into a dungeon, state what item you’re looking for, others state what whey need. There’s no overlap in loot desired, and you all say things like “it’s yours if I find it”. Then at the end someone gets the item you’ve been looking for, doesn’t link it it chat, drops group and won’t reply to whispers.

I’m guessing they just lie at the beginning to try to scam you into sharing what they need with no intention of helping you. Those are the players that fear group loot addons, the dishonest ones with something to hide. Anyone else could politely say at the beginning, “I’m also looking for that item, and I’ll need to keep it if I get one”.

And secondly, how exactly is someone going to "scam you" doing this? And no, not giving you their gear drop is not a scam.

No no, you don’t understand. Nobody is entitled to anything, until a verbal agreement has been made. Apparently I’m the only one in that scenario with any intention of keeping my word. And I’m not saying this happens often, most players are good people.

I’m also sure it happens all the time where this type of deal is made, both items drop for the player that doesn’t need it, and the obvious answer is for them to trade and each get what they’re looking for. However the lying player will try to hide their drop, take the other’s, and keep both greedily. Any transparency is a good thing and makes trades more fair.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No no, you don’t understand. Nobody is entitled to anything, until a verbal agreement has been made. Apparently I’m the only one in that scenario with any intention of keeping my word. And I’m not saying this happens often, most players are good people.

I’m also sure it happens all the time where this type of deal is made, both items drop for the player that doesn’t need it, and the obvious answer is for them to trade and each get what they’re looking for. However the lying player will try to hide their drop, take the other’s, and keep both greedily. Any transparency is a good thing and makes trades more fair.

Or, they don't realize they need the piece too for their set collection and rather than starting conflict with someone, they move on with their lives.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or, they don't realize they need the piece too for their set collection and rather than starting conflict with someone, they move on with their lives.

Personally I would never keep something for collections if someone else (even a random) in the group is trying to farm it for a build. That’s the type of player community I’d like to see, and I do everything I can to make it a reality.

However, even if that ends up being the case. The player that decides to keep it should at least have the courtesy to state why they’re breaking the deal, and not continue to demand your drops in a one-sided trade. The attempted deceit is what I have a problem with, not them needing the gear.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the players that fear group loot addons, the dishonest ones with something to hide.

False. I am on console and happy these aren't a thing. Yet I'm also the one linking all drops I don't directly need(Even if it's not in my sticker book) for anyone who does. " Association fallacy: an informal inductive fallacy of the hasty-generalization or red-herring type and which asserts, by irrelevant association and often appeal to emotion, that qualities of one thing are inherently qualities of another". ;)
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once while trying to form a trial group I decided to farm up some mats along the beach of a starter island, while I waited for people to respond for invites/ fill in. Someone with an add-on saw I looted a chest and was like, "Ooh, gotta get that training gear," in chat.

I don't have a problem with the add-on, but don't put someone on blast like that. So I understand why some players have a strong dislike of loot spying. It's like someone reading over your shoulder. As has been said, if you use it, be discreet.
    Edited by driosketch on February 19, 2021 9:28PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the players that fear group loot addons, the dishonest ones with something to hide.

False. I am on console and happy these aren't a thing. Yet I'm also the one linking all drops I don't directly need(Even if it's not in my sticker book) for anyone who does. " Association fallacy: an informal inductive fallacy of the hasty-generalization or red-herring type and which asserts, by irrelevant association and often appeal to emotion, that qualities of one thing are inherently qualities of another". ;)

Let me rephrase: honest, decent players have no reason to fear loot addons. You sound like an awesome person, and in your case the only things these addons change is that you wouldn’t have to go manually click each item in your inventory to link then in chat. It’s a QoL feature. There’s zero obligation to share your drops with others, that’s simply how the loot system is designed in ESO. The only thing I have a problem with is players lying about their drops to try to scam you out of yours.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me rephrase: honest, decent players have no reason to fear loot addons. You sound like an awesome person, and in your case the only things these addons change is that you wouldn’t have to go manually click each item in your inventory to link then in chat. It’s a QoL feature. There’s zero obligation to share your drops with others, that’s simply how the loot system is designed in ESO. The only thing I have a problem with is players lying about their drops to try to scam you out of yours.

I have a problem with players thinking they are entitled to look through my drops.

The only way a "feature" like this would be acceptable is if you could opt out of it. Anything else is an invasion of privacy from other players.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a problem with players thinking they are entitled to look through my drops.

The only way a "feature" like this would be acceptable is if you could opt out of it. Anything else is an invasion of privacy from other players.

But players literally are entitled to look through your drops, it’s in the API. They just aren’t entitled to take anything. They can also see your outfits, character name, account name, titles, guild tabards. They can see your build, gear, mundus stone, skills slotted, morph choices, everything you cast, DPS, HPS, your deaths, rezzes, resource pools, food eaten, traits, enchants. They can see everywhere you move, everything you say in text or voice chat.

It’s also safe to assume that all this info is shared publicly, you never know when somebody is streaming or recording. I’ve simply accepted all of this, there is no privacy in an online game. And for the most part, all this data is used for good, not evil.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on February 19, 2021 10:21PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But players literally are entitled to look through your drops, it’s in the API. They just aren’t entitled to take anything. They can also see your outfits, character name, account name, titles, guild tabards. They can see your build, gear, mundus stone, skills slotted, morph choices, everything you cast, DPS, HPS, your deaths, rezzes, resource pools, food eaten, traits, enchants. They can see everywhere you move, everything you say in text or voice chat.

It’s also safe to assume that all this info is shared publicly, you never know when somebody is streaming or recording. I’ve simply accepted all of this, there is no privacy in an online game. And for the most part, all this data is used for good, not evil.

There is zero way a player on console can see any of those things, with the exception of communications. None.

So, this "feature" isn't actually a game feature. It is just people manipulating the API. Until it is actually in the base game, it is not a feature. There were many things in the API that have been shut down due to unintended use. Being in the API doesn't suddenly make something a part of the game or even necessarily condoned by ZOS.

So no, players aren't entitled to look through my drops, because it is literally impossible to do in the base game and, in effect, on console.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is zero way a player on console can see any of those things, with the exception of communications. None.

So, this "feature" isn't actually a game feature. It is just people manipulating the API. Until it is actually in the base game, it is not a feature. There were many things in the API that have been shut down due to unintended use. Being in the API doesn't suddenly make something a part of the game or even necessarily condoned by ZOS.

So no, players aren't entitled to look through my drops, because it is literally impossible to do in the base game and, in effect, on console.

Fair enough. Console is a very different place, with very limited tools. Didn’t you used to be on PC?

Anyway, if the API were ever changed to limit group loot sharing, I’d be one of the first to install addons to share my loot drops with others in the group through whatever available mechanism. Just like everyone I know uses addons for real-time sharing of DPS, ultimate timing, etc. Just a better way to play IMO.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Console play is very different from PC, you don't have a mini-map or an auto-craft your writ feature either among a few hundred other QOL addons. However, it is part of the base game, as ZOS put it there as part of their API, using it isn't an exploit, and when something in the API causes an issue, they change or remove it. Apparently they do not feel this is an issue... so left the ability to see everyone loot in their game.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After spending over 4 hours today running normal Castle Thorn, a member of my party got the much desired "Unleashed Terror Greatsword," a weapon I greatly desired. Seeing they got the drop with the loot log addon, I asked them if they needed it and if not, if I could have it. They replied that they would have given it to me if I wasn't a "Loot Spy." They proceeded to immediately add me to their ignore list and refused further communication.

He was just a petty person, OP. I don't mind the addon, unless someone becomes very insistent about something, which can be annoying. Farming is painful, and people forget what you asked in the beginning of the group. Most oranized groups use it to facilitate gear exchange at the end, so that everyone eventually gets their build together. But it is indeed a bit intrusive, so just be polite when using it, and everything's fine.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get what you're trying to say, I think. But it's not about "fearing" the addon, it's more that the idea leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even though it's all digital mmo, it still feels like someone trying to reach in and look in my pocket. Pocket's empty, no fearing what they'd find in there, but the act it'sself is going to leave them with a very bad day. All in all, the idea gives me an unshakable feeling that sparks the good old fashioned 'fight or flight' somewhere in my brain.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tend to look at it more like you just killed a boss or opened a chest with your groupmates standing next to you. It would be highly unlikely for you to reach down, grab that sword/helm/whatever and sneak it in your backpack without the folks standing right next to you not noticing. Its not like you were pickpocketing or anything, you literally just grabbed a huge sword or whatever off the ground. Honestly, I feel it is more emersion breaking to even consider you stuffed a 4' long greatsword in your backpack without anyone noticing.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    I tend to look at it more like you just killed a boss or opened a chest with your groupmates standing next to you. It would be highly unlikely for you to reach down, grab that sword/helm/whatever and sneak it in your backpack without the folks standing right next to you not noticing. Its not like you were pickpocketing or anything, you literally just grabbed a huge sword or whatever off the ground. Honestly, I feel it is more emersion breaking to even consider you stuffed a 4' long greatsword in your backpack without anyone noticing.

I don’t think anyone would mind if the game were designed that way and everyone saw everyone’s loot by default. But since it isn’t, it can feel unexpected and intrusive. I confess it makes me feel a bit that way, although rationally I realize there’s nothing harmful in it and I would never deny someone a drop for that reason much less block them so long as the request was polite.

For best results all around, I think whether you use the add-on or not, it is best to just ask in group chat and if it’s something you especially want, offer some gold for it, not that most won’t freely share, but it may motivate those who otherwise don’t wish to be bothered or are on the fence about keeping it themselves and without pressuring or putting anyone on the spot. :)

Perhaps it is not possible, but I think it would be really awesome if there was an opt-in option for using this add-on, so that it only showed you loot of people who were okay with that. I would opt in (because for me at least it loses that feeling of unexpected intrusion if I have the option to okay it) and probably use it myself if that were possible.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except you fail to grasp the reason. It's not the addon as such, it's the fact that a significant number of people who use that addon will get absolutely toxic and vile if told no. Trust me, if 2 out of 3 players who plays High Elf would spew hatred at me in chat for telling them no, they'd get blocked on sight too.

So the solution in my example to dealing with toxic people when they are told no, is to tell me no for the only reason being that I am using a loot log addon? How does that solve ANYONE's problem? It is a self-fulfilling prophecy at that point. If you are going to deliberately grief players out of desperately sought after loot, of course they are going to get toxic. Using a simple, "sorry I need this item for myself" WILL end peacefully most of the time. The person might offer you gold for the item after this, which is FINE. It is just a player trying to make the trade worth your time as much as it was worth their time trying to farm it.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BTW, its not like everyone goes out of their way to download an addon to "spy" on everyone else. Many addons include this feature as well, even though it isn't that addons primary function, like one of the most popular interface rewrites.. LUI. I don't use Bandits, but would be surprised if it also didn't include it. There are literally a whole slew of players out there that have no idea that not seeing someone's else's loot isn't the default and have no clue why you would be offended that they did.
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »
    It is incredibly silly that people dont have any problems with giving data to companies but have an issue with someone seeing their virtual item drops. 99% that those people that are so against it are on like 4 or 5 social media platforms happily sharing stuff.

I feel like social media is different. You choose to post something publicly on social media. The Group Loot thing is more like if Facebook gave you an ad and said, "Hey, I saw you got a $1,345 paycheck yesterday. Your rent is only $950/mo. Maybe donate some of that to a charity that matches your interests we've been tracking." It would feel bad just because of the wording and the concept.
  • flavmad09
    flavmad09
    It all comes down to free will.

You're free to use the addon and ask people for the loot, and the people being asked for the loot are free to say no, and block you.

I use the addon when I'm farming with guildies, and so do they, so it's easier to track the gear we're farming. But if I'm running a rnd, I turn it off. The addon is not to blame, it's actually useful, when people agree on using it. The problem is some players believing they have an inherent right to loot that doesn't belong to them.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the idea of people seeing my gear. Most ppl are polite about it, and I have pretty much all the gear I need as I don’t have a ton of characters. It still bothers me tho when someone will ask me in whisper for my given gear. It’s my gear tho and my bag of loot, if you want it, be polite and ask in group chat. It’s not your given right to have my loot, or even see my loot, so I’d even advocate for them to block the use of this addon.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arbit wrote: »
    I hate the idea of people seeing my gear. Most ppl are polite about it, and I have pretty much all the gear I need as I don’t have a ton of characters. It still bothers me tho when someone will ask me in whisper for my given gear. It’s my gear tho and my bag of loot, if you want it, be polite and ask in group chat. It’s not your given right to have my loot, or even see my loot, so I’d even advocate for them to block the use of this addon.

This must be your first game then. In pretty much every MMO I have played you have the ability to "Inspect" players, see their build, if their gear is upgraded or white, what skills/spells they have loaded and if they have upgraded those skills. Also, loot was always group wide, when a boss dropped loot, everyone got to see everything that dropped.

That is the world many of us came from, thus we are completely baffled by this "Don't peek at my loot" attitude, nevermind actually blocking or being rude to people because they did.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    Arbit wrote: »

This must be your first game then. In pretty much every MMO I have played you have the ability to "Inspect" players, see their build, if their gear is upgraded or white, what skills/spells they have loaded and if they have upgraded those skills. Also, loot was always group wide, when a boss dropped loot, everyone got to see everything that dropped.

That is the world many of us came from, thus we are completely baffled by this "Don't peek at my loot" attitude, nevermind actually blocking or being rude to people because they did.

It’s really not my first game and idk what games you’re playing but that’s actually not a common theme. Inspecting other players used to be a thing in the olden days and I never liked that either. Group wide loot? Not sure I’ve seen that before. Typically I’ve seen what we get here. You get your own loot and it’s either bound to you on pickup or ppl have to ask if you got it. Sorry to disappoint but it’s not my first rodeo. Maybe they should start the bind on pickup if ppl aren’t gonna stop being jerks about checking other ppls loot. Might be better off.
    Argonian Master Race
  • DonGodJoe
    DonGodJoe
    ✭✭✭
    Loot spying :D:D jesus this community that i have never ever seen anywhere else
    Just use procs. Simple. No brain is required.
  • MaxWacksem
    MaxWacksem
    ✭✭✭
    It a total invasion of someone's privacy. What you loot is your business and NO ONE's else. That's like looking is someone's bag/backpack. If someone wishes to tell you what they got all well and fine.
    Wasn't sure if this was a thing or not, but it happened to me, felt violated unfriended and will not group with him.
    Why do you feel you have a right to see what others get? So you can bug them, because you want something they got.
    It's dirty even worse IMO, then botting, and other forms of exploiting.
    Unfortunately too many today, have no idea what personal privacy is, they give their phone # to store clerk's. You may have no respect for your own privacy, but please respect other's.
    Don't be a spy, drop the addon.
    Just because you say at the beginning your looking for "X" NO ONE is under any obligation to give you anything.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I should include that if you aren't >800 cp and therefore have never farmed for meta gear sets for a build, your opinion on where people cut their farming time into a fraction of what it is without the addon really doesn't matter. Its hard to take anyone who hasn't had to farm out difficult to acquire gear seriously when they complain about the loot log addon.

There is a reason why you will NEVER see a trial group question why someone can "loot spy." Its because everyone who isn't an RPer or console player uses the addon. Hell I started using addons BECAUSE I needed to see what dropped so I can see if someone got the piece I was looking for. People seeing you get a "zen's inferno staff" will not harm you in any way, but you maliciously denying someone gear solely because they use an AUTHORIZED addon does do harm. It wastes the valuable time and energy that that player has put into farming for that item.
  • Arbit
    Arbit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I should include that if you aren't >800 cp and therefore have never farmed for meta gear sets for a build, your opinion on where people cut their farming time into a fraction of what it is without the addon really doesn't matter. Its hard to take anyone who hasn't had to farm out difficult to acquire gear seriously when they complain about the loot log addon.

There is a reason why you will NEVER see a trial group question why someone can "loot spy." Its because everyone who isn't an RPer or console player uses the addon. Hell I started using addons BECAUSE I needed to see what dropped so I can see if someone got the piece I was looking for. People seeing you get a "zen's inferno staff" will not harm you in any way, but you maliciously denying someone gear solely because they use an AUTHORIZED addon does do harm. It wastes the valuable time and energy that that player has put into farming for that item.

I’ve been around on and off since beta so ya I’ve been farming since before traits were changeable... I just farmed out some tzogvins the other day, and can you guess what I did? I ASKED ppl for what they got. It’s really that easy and doesn’t invade their privacy.
    Argonian Master Race
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxWacksem wrote: »
    It a total invasion of someone's privacy. What you loot is your business and NO ONE's else. That's like looking is someone's bag/backpack. If someone wishes to tell you what they got all well and fine.
    Wasn't sure if this was a thing or not, but it happened to me, felt violated unfriended and will not group with him.
    Why do you feel you have a right to see what others get?

I liken this to shopping at some place like Walmart. People can see what you take off the shelf. They can see what you have in your cart. Neither is an invasion of privacy, as these things do not happen in private.

The people who know you have the loot are in the same virtual room, standing virtually near you. There really shouldn't be an assumption of privacy, especially if you are grouped with them. The player may be alone in the real world, but they are not alone in the game.

The badness here is not that someone else knows what was picked up. What they do with that information is what determined whether it is bad, or not. A polite opening conversation about something that was picked up does not deserve a rude response in return. A not-so-polite opening conversation is another matter.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I had a piece of gear that someone needed and I didn’t. I would hand over no problem. However, if someone used that loot spying tool on me, then they would never get that item.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall know what happens 90% of the time when I ask in group for what I’m looking for instead of directly whispering the people who got the exact gear drops I’m requesting?

No one responds, or if they do, it takes them over 2 minutes to do so.

When I do use the addon and whisper “do you need that X?,” I get an almost immediate response 80% of the time, and an answer by the end of the dungeon/trial for another 10% of the time. It is very rare I don’t get a response, unlike when I ask in group chat, “did anyone get a X?”