The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you refuse a healer based on race?

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No that would be stupid.

I would refuse a healer if they had a bow in a vet trial or certain vet dlc dungeons.

Only exception would be if they had dps high as mine and it wasn’t any content the required a healer. But I would still kick them for the queuing as one at the end and finish whatever we were doing ourselves.

There are, legitimate, bow/bow warden healer builds out there. The bow ends up being used as auxiliary crowd control. That said, if you de see one, it'll be pretty apparent they're actually a healer.

The other weird combo you'll see (more frequently) are S&B healers. They come scampering in out of PvP, but most of the ones I've seen were remarkably competent at the role.
    We had an stamina warden healer in an vet trial guild run, worked well enough.

Now unlike tanks its not much difference between an DD and an healer outside of bar and gear.

My DD setup for my magplar has off heals but if not much healing is needed as healer I tend to just keep extended ritual up and Ritual of Rebirth as an emergency heal as healer if not much healing is needed.

Now if more serious healing is needed I use dressing room. This depend on the group and the dungeon.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only on vet trials/vet dungeons
    I picked this because it was the best option but my from experience I can really only see min-maxing only really being needed for vet dlc trial achievements. Or leaderboard groups. And I don't do either of those so I wouldn't actually restrict anyone from anything in game. If I ever decided to though, that's the one thing I'd get particular about
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 22, 2021 9:53AM
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    There's a comic for this situation: "Respect your healers" by Isriana
    https://www.deviantart.com/isriana/art/TESO-Respect-Your-Healers-696152788
    51237618b2691d902861e6474a451d5c-dbigyxg.jpg

I was thinking of that exact comic lol.

I will never understand why some enjoy role-playing racism.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Ryuvain wrote: »

It digs into something uncomfortable. The players who engage in in-game discrimination based on race do so off of the idea that one race or another is better at something. "Redguards are better at using stamina and weapon skill lines, so better not make one a mage." "Nords are better suited to tanking, why would you even think of making a nord DPS?" "Bretons are the best for healers, you shouldn't do anything else with them."

[snip]

[snip] Though, I can't help but remember a progression guild I used to run with, who were extremely strict about in game racial picks, also ended up with several senior members being outed as actual racists.

Having said that, I don't blame ESO, and I do think Tamriel's racism is a realistic part of the setting, just one that does need to be handled with care. Dom's team has done an excellent job of presenting a wide variety of characters as recognizably human, to the point that it functions as a consistent criticism of the racism we see in-setting. I think his team may have consistently produced the best writing in the series to date.

[Edited to remove Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 22, 2021 2:26PM
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

It digs into something uncomfortable. The players who engage in in-game discrimination based on race do so off of the idea that one race or another is better at something. "Redguards are better at using stamina and weapon skill lines, so better not make one a mage." "Nords are better suited to tanking, why would you even think of making a nord DPS?" "Bretons are the best for healers, you shouldn't do anything else with them."

[snip]

[snip] Though, I can't help but remember a progression guild I used to run with, who were extremely strict about in game racial picks, also ended up with several senior members being outed as actual racists.

Having said that, I don't blame ESO, and I do think Tamriel's racism is a realistic part of the setting, just one that does need to be handled with care. Dom's team has done an excellent job of presenting a wide variety of characters as recognizably human, to the point that it functions as a consistent criticism of the racism we see in-setting. I think his team may have consistently produced the best writing in the series to date.

Yeah. I didn't mean to make this thread as dark as that, but it comes up in my thoughts in the same way every time.

Sorry for killing the mood lol.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 22, 2021 2:26PM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

[snip]

Yeah. I didn't mean to make this thread as dark as that, but it comes up in my thoughts in the same way every time.

It's not your fault. It's, probably, something we should all remember, when we're looking at the world and how we treat each other as human beings. Even if this example is a poor litmus test, there's something slightly encouraging about the number of people who looked at the question, and answered, "no."
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 22, 2021 2:27PM
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Is this a thing??
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Weesacs
    Weesacs
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, im not racist
    High Elf Templar
    PS4 - EU - DC
    Over 37,500 Achievements!
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    yes because min maxing is real and some races do certain things better than others. min maxing helps to make up for the lack of someone else not doing their job.

id rather have a breton healer who can heal all day and not run out of magicka than an imperial healer
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

[snip]

It's not your fault. It's, probably, something we should all remember, when we're looking at the world and how we treat each other as human beings. Even if this example is a poor litmus test, there's something slightly encouraging about the number of people who looked at the question, and answered, "no."

Honestly yeah, I am happy to see the overwhelming majority don't care about race.
    Otherwise I feel races like khajiit or argonian would be at a disadvantage because they stick out with their tails, while every other race, especially if they have no skin showing, they can fly under the radar and you can't tell what race they are.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 22, 2021 2:27PM
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Sadly not. I'd like to see content again where your stats as healer actually matter and where a redguard wearing 2 dps support sets would struggle to keep the group alive. But right now healing skills are so powerful that your race, class or gear sets don't really matter.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Sadly not. I'd like to see content again where your stats as healer actually matter and where a redguard wearing 2 dps support sets would struggle to keep the group alive. But right now healing skills are so powerful that your race, class or gear sets don't really matter.

So you WANT everyone to be shoehorned into playing a set race and have the same gear? Sounds boring AF. We got the DPS role for that nonsense.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    coop500 wrote: »

So you WANT everyone to be shoehorned into playing a set race and have the same gear? Sounds boring AF. We got the DPS role for that nonsense.
    Well, in my opinion it would be more interesting, if choices would actually matter. I remember when vMoL was added to the game me and my healing partner did have long discussions how we can do enough healing to keep the group alive. Would it be better to play a race with better sustain or higher heals? Should we put cost reduction, recovery or spell damage on our jewelery? Which mundus would be best, ritual, thief or atronarch? Should we maybe use gear to reduce damage taken for the group or increase our healing done.
    Today all this doesn't matter anymore. Healing has basicly become a side effect and the only thing that really matters are buff uptimes.
    And making healing more difficult wouldn't necessarily mean, that you can do it only on a single race. If you decrease healing done and increase the damage taken by a good amount, you can create a situation where a nord healer with gear to increase his healing power and a high elf healer with gear to increase self survivabilty would be equally strong.
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Well, in my opinion it would be more interesting, if choices would actually matter. I remember when vMoL was added to the game me and my healing partner did have long discussions how we can do enough healing to keep the group alive. Would it be better to play a race with better sustain or higher heals? Should we put cost reduction, recovery or spell damage on our jewelery? Which mundus would be best, ritual, thief or atronarch? Should we maybe use gear to reduce damage taken for the group or increase our healing done.
    Today all this doesn't matter anymore. Healing has basicly become a side effect and the only thing that really matters are buff uptimes.
    And making healing more difficult wouldn't necessarily mean, that you can do it only on a single race. If you decrease healing done and increase the damage taken by a good amount, you can create a situation where a nord healer with gear to increase his healing power and a high elf healer with gear to increase self survivabilty would be equally strong.

Im strictly in the other camp, that would be infuriating. I straight up wouldnt even play the game if it was that limiting to where I cant even play my favorite race, khajiit. Also it would be boring imo to see every mage be altmer, every stam dps be bosmer/redguard, etc. Would literally fall asleep and find another game to play.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

Im strictly in the other camp, that would be infuriating. I straight up wouldnt even play the game if it was that limiting to where I cant even play my favorite race, khajiit. Also it would be boring imo to see every mage be altmer, every stam dps be bosmer/redguard, etc. Would literally fall asleep and find another game to play.

This exactly. I kinda get the idea that you want choices to matter, but in the end that would just make everyone be forced to do ONE build per role. (two for DPS in terms of stam or magicka)
    Edited by coop500 on January 22, 2021 3:25PM
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Nope. As long as you do your job right and do it well, I don't even care what class you are.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No

I never said you couldn't play a khajiit healer. Khajiit have higher max hp and higher magicka reg than altmer. So if survivability and sustain was harder you would have a nice choice if you want to play an altmer and invest in sustain and survivablility or if you want to play a race like khajiit and focus a bit more on spell damage as you already have better sustain and survivability.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Unfortunately, orcs are the main stam now. I miss when redguards were meta, but zos had to nerf them because they can't fathom the idea that one race might be a bit better at a role than another. They also said a while back that there was gonna be another racial rebalance coming soon, which meant that orcs were gonna get the hammer. I changed my endgame stam dps to an orc, but i'm leaving my lower-tier characters as redguards because I don't care and sustain feels good.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no. My main healer is a nord templar and I've healed a crap-ton of difficult content on him, including solo trials. Race doesn't matter as much for healers and even a non-meta race like the nord has a lot to offer for the healer role. Extra defense and health makes him more survivable right out of the box, and extra ultimate generation means more warhorns. There's no build in magika sustain, but that can be compensated for with smart play.

Yes, there are races that have racial passives that add ZERO benefit to the healer role (Woodelf and orc, unless you are a stam-healer), but for most other races, the racials can add at least a little something to the healer toolkit that can be beneficial.

Nice, I'm a Nord Templar as well. Why did I do you ask? Cause people said I wouldn't be able to lol. Character use to be a Breton and I honestly don't see any difference between the two.

I started my healer before I had the any race- any alliance pack. My group started as EP characters because that is just what we made during a free to play period so we just stuck with it. Made a Nord templar that eventually morphed into a healer. Can't tell you how many times I've been in a trial standing next to so-called meta healers with meta setups and they're dead most of the fight and I'm left still standing and solo-healing the encounter. That gave me the confidence I needed to try solo-healing the trials that I knew really well.

I know they're not exactly the passives you look for in a healer, but that doesn't mean the Nord doesn't have racial passives that benefit a healer/support role. If your a good player, your going to learn how to compensate for the shortcomings (no built in magika bonuses or regen) through play style and equipment.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no. My main healer is a nord templar and I've healed a crap-ton of difficult content on him, including solo trials. Race doesn't matter as much for healers and even a non-meta race like the nord has a lot to offer for the healer role. Extra defense and health makes him more survivable right out of the box, and extra ultimate generation means more warhorns. There's no build in magika sustain, but that can be compensated for with smart play.

Yes, there are races that have racial passives that add ZERO benefit to the healer role (Woodelf and orc, unless you are a stam-healer), but for most other races, the racials can add at least a little something to the healer toolkit that can be beneficial.

Woodelves are just in a bad place right now. Ironically, I could even see an argument for orcs with their movement buff and extra health making them a bit faster and tankier for trying to pull off a recovery. Granted it's an edge case, but you could get some value there.

Even some weird cases, like Redguards, could have some legitimate uses on healers, so... yeah, it's more a question of whether the player running the character can play the role than the race. Then again, I've never been particularly hung up on player's races.

Yes, it pains me to say it, but Bosmer are not in a good place right now, and it sucks, because they are one of my favorite races in the ES Universe. I would love to see them rework their passives to give them bonus armor penetration or weapon damage when using a bow, perhaps a race-specific bonus like minor evasion that stacks with the evasion skill that allows them to take less AOE damage to compensate for the fact that they have so little health.

Bottom line is that they're supposed to be a stealth-based race, but the Khajit's passives are far better for that kind of play. The lore also makes Bosmer some of the best archers in the ES universe, so why not lean into that role with some reworks that give them a leg up when using a bow?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Woodelves are just in a bad place right now. Ironically, I could even see an argument for orcs with their movement buff and extra health making them a bit faster and tankier for trying to pull off a recovery. Granted it's an edge case, but you could get some value there.

Even some weird cases, like Redguards, could have some legitimate uses on healers, so... yeah, it's more a question of whether the player running the character can play the role than the race. Then again, I've never been particularly hung up on player's races.

Yes, it pains me to say it, but Bosmer are not in a good place right now, and it sucks, because they are one of my favorite races in the ES Universe. I would love to see them rework their passives to give them bonus armor penetration or weapon damage when using a bow, perhaps a race-specific bonus like minor evasion that stacks with the evasion skill that allows them to take less AOE damage to compensate for the fact that they have so little health.

Bottom line is that they're supposed to be a stealth-based race, but the Khajit's passives are far better for that kind of play. The lore also makes Bosmer some of the best archers in the ES universe, so why not lean into that role with some reworks that give them a leg up when using a bow?

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. I get that Brian wanted each race to be distinct, but giving Bosmer a detect stealth bonus in place of their stealth radius reduction (because they shared it with the Khajiit) really weakened them. Stealth in general is pretty niche, but detect radius is useful in both PvE and PvP, while detect stealth is only useful in PvP (if you have a PvE encounter involving stealth, either the enemy is completely hidden, or not. Giving the Bosmer a penetration bonus would give them a very distinct identity, and there are other ways to balance stealth bonuses (like giving the Bosmer faster movement in stealth or reduced stealth cost instead of reduced detection radius.)
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Yeah, it's really unfortunate. I get that Brian wanted each race to be distinct, but giving Bosmer a detect stealth bonus in place of their stealth radius reduction (because they shared it with the Khajiit) really weakened them. Stealth in general is pretty niche, but detect radius is useful in both PvE and PvP, while detect stealth is only useful in PvP (if you have a PvE encounter involving stealth, either the enemy is completely hidden, or not. Giving the Bosmer a penetration bonus would give them a very distinct identity, and there are other ways to balance stealth bonuses (like giving the Bosmer faster movement in stealth or reduced stealth cost instead of reduced detection radius.)

But Altmer is supposed to be the best magicka race and yet they have nothing over the Dunmer. :/
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

But Altmer is supposed to be the best magicka race and yet they have nothing over the Dunmer. :/

They have something over Dunmer. 125 max magicka to be exact.
    And if you are playing a Templar then you have 5% less damage taken during Rememberance or when using Jabs or Jesus Beam.
    I would like it if they changed the other part of Spell Recharge to do something more useful than restoring a negligible amount of your lower max resource, particularly for tanks or healers, but they do not need a damage boost.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Of course. No furries allowed
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    karekiz wrote: »
    Of course. No furries allowed

So that's why most khajiit don't leave Elsweyr. They dont have to deal with peopke like that.
  • Kaartinen
    Kaartinen
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Absolutely not. It comes down to player skill, and not race.

Unless we're making world record attempts, the race will have minimal impact.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Not sure if it would become too off-topic if we discuss this here... But do I make snarky remarks about humans and betmer from time to time when roleplaying a Dunmer. It's more a kind of ironic taunting (extremely self-ironic if nagging about humans, actually) and I'm not running around molesting random players or something. Why do I do it? It's an unfortunate part of my characters' mindset, based on the influence of growing up on Vvardenfell - the traditions, the common way of thinking, and so on. If you grow up in that society, isolated from the rest of Tamriel for a long time, and the only strangers you ever saw were mostly slaves, and you were taught that they were nothing more than that, maybe even that they weren't really sentient beings - how likely would it be then to see humans and beastfolk as equals? No so much, I assume (at least when you start your journey and haven't travelled much so far). And I'm interested in playing some "average" person, not the only one super-educated super-openminded exception of his whole people. That said, I don't just walk around and think of Argonians as slaves, I try to see all (from a Dunmer perspective) foreign things as alien and confusing - even dogs, horses and beer ;) This is the most interesting aspect for me actually: Seeing things that are so common to us as real life humans from a completely different, outside perspective.

This is one thing, though - roleplaying. When I don't roleplay, but just fight together with other players at a dolmen or harrowstorm or in some group dungeon - I don't care for their race at all. That's not the time to think strictly "in-character". And rejecting another player in that situation would seem extremely inappropriate to me. I definitively wouldn't do it.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Syldras wrote: »

Not sure if it would become too off-topic if we discuss this here... But do I make snarky remarks about humans and betmer from time to time when roleplaying a Dunmer. It's more a kind of ironic taunting (extremely self-ironic if nagging about humans, actually) and I'm not running around molesting random players or something. Why do I do it? It's an unfortunate part of my characters' mindset, based on the influence of growing up on Vvardenfell - the traditions, the common way of thinking, and so on. If you grow up in that society, isolated from the rest of Tamriel for a long time, and the only strangers you ever saw were mostly slaves, and you were taught that they were nothing more than that, maybe even that they weren't really sentient beings - how likely would it be then to see humans and beastfolk as equals? No so much, I assume (at least when you start your journey and haven't travelled much so far). And I'm interested in playing some "average" person, not the only one super-educated super-openminded exception of his whole people. That said, I don't just walk around and think of Argonians as slaves, I try to see all (from a Dunmer perspective) foreign things as alien and confusing - even dogs, horses and beer ;) This is the most interesting aspect for me actually: Seeing things that are so common to us as real life humans from a completely different, outside perspective.

This is one thing, though - roleplaying. When I don't roleplay, but just fight together with other players at a dolmen or harrowstorm or in some group dungeon - I don't care for their race at all. That's not the time to think strictly "in-character". And rejecting another player in that situation would seem extremely inappropriate to me. I definitively wouldn't do it.

I mean, I suppose that's fine. I still don't like slavery/rascism anywhere but thats me. But there are players who definitely take it everywhere including with groups, guilds, and even zone chat. Theres even some who praise it constantly, be it in-game or forums. I just think it should never be seen as a good thing or even reasonable.

That's all my opinion though.
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Heck no! Never! Not in life, not in game.

One of my medics when deployed to northern afghanistan in '05 was a different race, color, religious, and political background than most of us. That man was an angel on earth. And would gladly "stand in the red" for any one of us. Semper fidelis.

I don't care if you're argonian, khajit, or nord. Diving headfirst into hell to save someone is where it counts no matter who you are.
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~