The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would you refuse a healer based on race?

• erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As long as im not dying they could be a chimpanzee irl for all i care
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I used to have a Khajiit Magicka Templar I healed with in Dungeons before the Racial reworks. Meaning I had no Magicka passives at all. The one that gave Weapon Crit didn't even have points in it.

Give any Race a Resto Staff and adequate Magicka based gear sets and they can be decent Healers. If the Healer is actually doing their job I don't care what they are.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    There's a comic for this situation: "Respect your healers" by Isriana
    https://www.deviantart.com/isriana/art/TESO-Respect-Your-Healers-696152788
    51237618b2691d902861e6474a451d5c-dbigyxg.jpg
    Khajiit actually make pretty decent healers when build right (Critical Healing + Maximum Magicka bonus). I would even say that they can be better than Argonians for that role. Definitely not best, but viable.

In fact all races can be viable for all roles, and with a right build you can push that even further. Racial passives only have a meaning when you try to push it to absolute limits (like hardest Trial runs, score runs, PvP competitiveness etc).

For normal (and veteran content to some degree), racial passives are not that important.
    Granted this strip predates the race re balancing.
    However even before this the main tank at Hodor was an Khajiit.

Class matter more, in organized trial groups you want one healer of two classes for buffs.
    This is also kind of relevant for DD, but if dps requirement is say 80K on the trial dummy and you only have magic slots, none care if you are an orc.
    Yes you probably get some jokes and the dps requirements might jump
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Race not *that* important in general, even less so for healers.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    zvavi wrote: »

To her defense, he didn't stand near group, it ain't the healer's job to run after stupid.

Kit'a has no defense.
    Kit'a needs no defense.
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    My Bosmer Templar healer says hi. :-)

Should be a thing! Wood Elf restoration magic etc...I remember collecting a set from Elden Hollow long time ago, like in 2015 when I started playing, it was healing set and wood elf in style, so I though Wood Elves in ESO are good healers xd
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khajiit actually make pretty decent healers when build right (Critical Healing + Maximum Magicka bonus). I would even say that they can be better than Argonians for that role. Definitely not best, but viable.

In fact all races can be viable for all roles, and with a right build you can push that even further. Racial passives only have a meaning when you try to push it to absolute limits (like hardest Trial runs, score runs, PvP competitiveness etc).

For normal (and veteran content to some degree), racial passives are not that important.

While the comic was made in 2017 before the racial passive rework, the artist would certainly agree with you. Her artist's description and the comments are pretty hilarious.
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    vgabor wrote: »
    You're missing the option "Who cares about healer race when healers are useless anyway and rather have a 3rd dd instead" :D

No he doesn´t really. That´s for player´s, who should have a look at their dps, maybe bit more dps practise or be more secure in group conent.

You see. Only few don´t use a healer or would rather have an 3rd dps. Most pkayer´s do really good in group content with a healer.

If you make your own group and run 3 dds for holding hands you can du that.

I voted no as race don´t really matter because all are having fun anyway :)

• caperb
    caperb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only on vet trials/vet dungeons
    Actually only when score pushing
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If you're crazy enough to play a healer in PvP I will welcome you with open arms, any day.

Sincerely, a backline diving stamboi.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • BKTHNDR
    BKTHNDR
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I've been a Redguard Templar healer since launch. Haven't had any issues whatsoever.
  • Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Race only really matters for dps for things like damage and sustain. It doesn't matter for healers unless you want extra sustain or magicka/spell damage for stronger heals. Doesn't matter at all for tanks unless you want to be a nord for more ultimate regen.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    coop500 wrote: »
    See title. Would you refuse a healer in group content based on their character race? Say, khajiit.

Of course not.

That would be both stupid and pointless for me to do. Racial passives can help. But they don't make or break any player or combat role.
    Edited by Jeremy on January 21, 2021 3:59AM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. I’ve never met a good German healer...
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No

To her defense, he didn't stand near group, it ain't the healer's job to run after stupid.

To the dead guys defense, the game sells the idea of "ranged classes" and reinforces this with the tooltip of certain ranged abilities, but in practice ranged does not exist because they need to be inside the range of a healer.

A good example is Wardens Screaming Cliff Racer where you do more damage the farther away you are. Healing abilities are set to 28m or less.

So in order for a healer to heal the entire party, they first must be in front of the healers line of sight, secondly must be within 28 yards (or closer). This places the healer closer to the fight. But in order for a warden to do max damage with cliff racer, they must be farther away, close to 28 yards to deal this damage...but this will put them behind the healer.

One of my fundamental issues with ESO, from a design perspective, is that quite often the left hand does not know what the right is doing.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    See title. Would you refuse a healer in group content based on their character race? Say, khajiit.

This one takes offence at that statement!
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    [Quoted post was removed]

Yeah, no, that would be stupid.

Also, I strongly disagree with the above statement.
    2DDs with a good healer that put buffs/debuffs are on par with 3DDs without an healer, damage-wise. And it's easier.

I'm a DD, and I love my healers ! (and my tanks!)
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 23, 2021 11:08AM
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    preevious wrote: »

2DDs with a good healer that put buffs/debuffs are on par with 3DDs without an healer, damage-wise. And it's easier.

Not true at all. 3 DDs will massively out do a 2DD + Healer group. And with RoPO the heals are just as good.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 23, 2021 11:09AM
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Runefang wrote: »

Not true at all. 3 DDs will massively out do a 2DD + Healer group. And with RoPO the heals are just as good.

Aaaand with RoPO (ring of the pale order, for those who are not good with acronyms), your damage just went down, loosing a 5 items set bonus (or a monster helm bonus) . Great !

let's take 2 DDs, doing 30k unbuffed. (and that's already way above most DD). With the buffs/debuffs from the heal, they do 40.
    Together, the do 80k. The healer don't stay inactive and do 10-15k. Meaning 90k.

Remove the healer, and put a 3rd DD. Now, they all do 90k together.

Same thing. And I didn't take into account the loss of power caused by the ring...

3DD runs are only more efficient when the players are among the bests DPS out there. And even so, it's not certain.
    Mostly a "I can do it, therefore I do, am I great or what?" issue ..

EDIT :

Granted, it supposes the healer is good. But a 3DD run supposes all DD to be good, so, it's irrelevant.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No that would be stupid. I would refuse a healer if they had a bow.

1igqafyyh6m51.jpg

stamina warden spamming aoe heal in stamina option + leeching vines + psijic toggle heal - yes medicine bow :)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Raideen wrote: »

To the dead guys defense, the game sells the idea of "ranged classes" and reinforces this with the tooltip of certain ranged abilities, but in practice ranged does not exist because they need to be inside the range of a healer.

A good example is Wardens Screaming Cliff Racer where you do more damage the farther away you are. Healing abilities are set to 28m or less.

So in order for a healer to heal the entire party, they first must be in front of the healers line of sight, secondly must be within 28 yards (or closer). This places the healer closer to the fight. But in order for a warden to do max damage with cliff racer, they must be farther away, close to 28 yards to deal this damage...but this will put them behind the healer.

I got news to you friend. Screaming cliff racer damage reaches it's peak at 15m, any farther and you don't get more damage. You can test it easily yourself, 15m is the middle of the circle of the 3rd fire square in wall of elements.

Didn't test bow range damage increase though, but that's a meme.

So he doesn't really have an excuse either way, because even if he is at max efficient range healer can hit everyone with combat prayer.
    Edited by zvavi on January 21, 2021 9:03AM
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I see alot of no' but in my experience progression groups will exclude on race
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Nephthys
    Nephthys
    ✭✭✭
    No
    What a revolting idea. You group up with people to work as a group.
    Dunmer magicka Necromancer DPS/Healer
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ticked only on vet content, but frankly even then I'm rarely checking so I probably should have ticked no.

That said, if you are serious about pushing scores in vet content, then race does come into consideration.

Breton recovery is a huge benefit for healers, as is the Altmer/Dunmer max mag.

But other races can still heal effectively.
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Runefang wrote: »

No absolutly not. It´s all about how well integrated you as a dd are into ESO. Those well integrated don´t have those problems.

Another argument you put forward is speed. Everything is relative including speed. That´s why alot still and will conntinue to play in the 2dd, 1h and tank setup.

Please don´t try to change focus.

I still believe race doesn´t matter regarding healer, which is rather nice. It´s rather powerful role in four man content
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I voted no. My main healer is a nord templar and I've healed a crap-ton of difficult content on him, including solo trials. Race doesn't matter as much for healers and even a non-meta race like the nord has a lot to offer for the healer role. Extra defense and health makes him more survivable right out of the box, and extra ultimate generation means more warhorns. There's no build in magika sustain, but that can be compensated for with smart play.

Yes, there are races that have racial passives that add ZERO benefit to the healer role (Woodelf and orc, unless you are a stam-healer), but for most other races, the racials can add at least a little something to the healer toolkit that can be beneficial.

Woodelves are just in a bad place right now. Ironically, I could even see an argument for orcs with their movement buff and extra health making them a bit faster and tankier for trying to pull off a recovery. Granted it's an edge case, but you could get some value there.

Even some weird cases, like Redguards, could have some legitimate uses on healers, so... yeah, it's more a question of whether the player running the character can play the role than the race. Then again, I've never been particularly hung up on player's races.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No that would be stupid.

I would refuse a healer if they had a bow in a vet trial or certain vet dlc dungeons.

Only exception would be if they had dps high as mine and it wasn’t any content the required a healer. But I would still kick them for the queuing as one at the end and finish whatever we were doing ourselves.

There are, legitimate, bow/bow warden healer builds out there. The bow ends up being used as auxiliary crowd control. That said, if you de see one, it'll be pretty apparent they're actually a healer.

The other weird combo you'll see (more frequently) are S&B healers. They come scampering in out of PvP, but most of the ones I've seen were remarkably competent at the role.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I see alot of no' but in my experience progression groups will exclude on race

In my experience, a lot of prog groups are very insecure about their progress. (Not all of them, mind you.) That insecurity will lead them to being overly harsh. It will lead them into cookie cutters. They will do things like chase @Alcast builds as holy writ. In many cases, they will lag behind on simply learning how to play their role, over trying to fine tune their build. They (probably) think their build is the problem, not their skill as a player. In most MMOs, that's true, but ESO is far more dependent on player skill than build. You can clear vet trials with a team of skilled players running trash and miss-matched gear. It'll be night and day if they're running tuned builds, but, they are the factor that controls whether they can clear or not.

More than that, ESO's races were changed in 2019. Before that, there was a real consideration that you'd get less from a race if you mis-specced them. When it was +12% health, or +10% mag, you'd get less value from that if you didn't have your points pushed towards those pools. A stam Breton in 2018 was taking a serious hit, and wouldn't be more valuable than a Nord (if you wanted the Breton resistance) or a Redguard (or Imperial) for any other application. Now, it doesn't matter. You'll still get the same bonus to your mag pool if it's 10k or 40k. So, there was a time when playing to your race was (somewhat) more important than it is now. Now? It really doesn't matter. A good racial pick is nice to have, but a bad one isn't the end of the world.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I will not even be against 360+ Tank Khajiit.

Why i have to ?

https://youtu.be/4qme8unsTd4

They looks good and can be a good furry friends

:)
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    It's pathetic now to care about race