The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Which quests have gay references?

ChaosWotan
ChaosWotan
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm doing research on how entertainment can be used to normalize different kinds of values, interests and lifestyles, so will appreciate it if anybody knows how many quests (or non-quest NPCs) have dialogues or comments relating to being gay.

This is not intended to be a discussion about gayness. Such a debate will be quickly closed, so please don't present pro- or anti-gay arguments. I just want facts about content in the game: the number of quests, and their names please.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 16, 2022 5:54PM
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is the quest at heimlyn keep in western stonefall, one women you need to rescue speak of her wife
    I know there is more but its the only one i remembe at the moment
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a quest (main?) in vivec city that had you helping a woman find and save her wife, while the city was getting tore to shreds.

That's the only one I can think of so far this early in the morning. Es tut Mir leid.
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Into the Vice Den and Hadran's Fall in Reaper's March, where you help Sind rescue his boyfriend Tand. Also there's a quest in Bangkorai (I don't remember the name) where you help a guy who dates a dude with lycanthropy problems, and a quest in Summerset related to a woman and her transgender sister.

I should say I love how Zenimax/Bethesda brought LGBT into ES world. Good work, ZOS! 🏳️‍🌈❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤
    Edited by CaptainVenom on September 7, 2020 12:42PM
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's actually an abundance of quests where NPCs have you find/try to find their beloved or otherwise help them and the beloved is of the same gender.
    I almost feel there're more homosexual couples than heterosexual ones in Tamriel tbh xD There's like dozens of them.
    I've done most quests years ago, of latest ones that I remember - there's a quest in Summerset concerning a Breton mage being accused of killing an Altmer Sapiarch, but his friends claim he can't be guilty of that because they loved each other deeply. Quest is apparently called Murder In Lillandril.

Don't remember names but there was a quest where gay bosmer had you help collect flowers for his dying male lover, a quest about a gay couple accidentally ending up in werewolf settlement (did not end well), uh...there were more but they didn't stand out enough to remember I guess. I also remember multiple vendors/traders mentioning their lover of the same gender that they are. Tbh if you just go questing through Tamriel you'll run into plenty yourself soon enough, most of them are generic "go find X/kill Y/pick Z" quests so don't really stand out enough to remember.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The "Freedom's Chains" quest in Bangkorai involves a same-sex couple.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • furiouslog
      furiouslog
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There is also a Thieves Guild quest featuring a lesbian couple (also interracial - dumner/khajit!)

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Velsa
    • joerginger
      joerginger
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There is a quest in Northern Elsweyr involving a keg with some brew and a same-sex couple.
    • markulrich1966
      markulrich1966
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      there is a pirate female captain, I think it is in Grahtwood, slightly west of the occupied city very south.
      She has a quest to free her wife.
      The quest ends in a large beautiful cave with a huge shipwreck.
    • out51d3r
      out51d3r
      ✭✭✭✭
      One of the really cool things about this game is that it treats homosexual relationships as totally normal. You run into them all over the place, and it's never a big deal. One occurs during the Thieves Guild questline(A Faded Flower). That's probably one of the more well known ones, as it advances the Thieves Guild skill line. There's also Freedom's Chains in Bangkorai.

I know there's many many more examples, but like I said it's normal in this game, thus they don't usually stick out in my memory.
    • Lintashi
      Lintashi
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Quest in Grahtwood, where female pirate crew captain asks to save her wife, who is first mate. Quest in Bangkorai, about werewolves. Quest in Reapers March in Hadran's caravan. Quest in Greenshade, about two old lovers and beautiful flowers near Wilderking shrine. In main quest in Vivec, there is female builder, and her lover, who then can be met in Murkmire, and their quest. Also, in Murkmire, there are notes about argonians changing sex with Hist's help, interesting possible reference to transgenders.
    • Michae
      Michae
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I'll be going from the top of my head so sorry for not including quest names. Spoiler warning of course, I just hid the biggest one. Here's what I remember:

In Morrowind Chapter's MQ you rescue a wife of some lady from
      debris from Baar Dau falling on Vivec City

You rescue a wife of a female sea captain in Grahtwood.

In Greenshade you can help a male Bosmer gay couple, one of the men is dying and you're tasked with gathering some flowers.

I think it was in Bangkorai where you helped a Breton male find news about his husband that went to a hidden village tu cure a certain affliction.

Velsa from Thieves Guild DLC has a quest where you're tasked with finding her former female Khajiit lover.
      "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
      Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    • Eifleber
      Eifleber
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The main questline in Vvardenfel also involve a lesbian dunmer couple.
      One Nord merchant in Belkarth, Craglorn also speaks of her wife.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
    • Shardaxx
      Shardaxx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There was 1 in summerset with the performers, I think its called Manor of Masques.
      PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    • joerginger
      joerginger
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Shardaxx wrote: »
      There was 1 in summerset with the performers, I think its called Manor of Masques.
      IIRC there was no couple involved, but the brother had become female.

[Edited to hide spoiler]
      Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on September 7, 2020 3:40PM
    • AlnilamE
      AlnilamE
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      joerginger wrote: »
      Shardaxx wrote: »
      IIRC there was no couple involved, but the brother had become female.

You may want to put spoiler tags on that.
      The Moot Councillor
    • AlnilamE
      AlnilamE
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Most of the ones I remember have already been mentioned.

Also, if you are doing the Lightbringer achievement (lightring fires for travelers along the road), the couples alternate between opposite sex and same sex.
      The Moot Councillor
    • ChaosWotan
      ChaosWotan
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tnx for info and help. Appreciate it :)
    • kadochka
      kadochka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'll add (cause I didn't see them in here):
      1. Argonian and Dunmer ladies in Bal Foyen; the former needs you to help the latter, and I think they're a couple. :)
      2. Nord guys somewhere in W. Skyrim, I think it's a WB; you can find them camping with their mother/mother-in-law (respectively).
      3. Edit: Also, I believe there's a character in Rellenthil that's transgender! not gay, but still LGBT. And Argonians can change sexes to match their love interests, to be able to mate with them. <3

Such an adorable thread! props to the one who started it and everyone who contributes. ^-^
      Edited by kadochka on September 7, 2020 8:00PM
      if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• zaria
      zaria
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You have this Khajiit weapon trader, far west in the crafting district in Hollow city.
      NqhlUQwh.png
      Well assume she is very rural. The Dunmer has some reply.
      Edited by zaria on September 7, 2020 9:04PM
      Grinding just make you go in circles.
      Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    • dcam86b14_ESO
      dcam86b14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      You could look into the lore behind how ViVec obtained that famous spear of his... :p
    • SidraWillowsky
      SidraWillowsky
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      You could look into the lore behind how ViVec obtained that famous spear of his... :p

And the fact that Vivec is both male and female.

I love how much of a non-issue this stuff is in the TES series.
    • Shardaxx
      Shardaxx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Oh sorry you guys are right there (haven't quoted so I don't ruin it).
      PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    • ShawnLaRock
      ShawnLaRock
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The Frozen Coast delve quest.

S.
    • Sailor_Palutena
      Sailor_Palutena
      ✭✭✭✭
      Into the Vice Den and Hadran's Fall in Reaper's March, where you help Sind rescue his boyfriend Tand. Also there's a quest in Bangkorai (I don't remember the name) where you help a guy who dates a dude with lycanthropy problems, and a quest in Summerset related to a woman and her transgender sister.

I should say I love how Zenimax/Bethesda brought LGBT into ES world. Good work, ZOS! 🏳️‍🌈❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤
      I also love how it feels very natural, instead of some other companies that force it into the context making it look superficial.
    • Sailor_Palutena
      Sailor_Palutena
      ✭✭✭✭
      ChaosWotan wrote: »
      I'm doing research on how entertainment can be used to normalize different kinds of values, interests and lifestyles, so will appreciate it if anybody knows how many quests (or non-quest NPCs) have dialogues or comments relating to being gay.

This is not intended to be a discussion about gayness. Such a debate will be quickly closed, so please don't present pro- or anti-gay arguments. I just want facts about content in the game: the number of quests, and their names please.

My favorite one is from Thieves Guild DLC. You help a couple who has been separated for years. I'm not telling which to not spoil it, but if you do the main questline of the DLC you will find it easily. My eyes start to shed tears just by remembering it. It is heavily dramatic.
    • Cloudtrader
      Cloudtrader
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Main story in Craglorn involves an lesbian couple:
      They're villains, and it's also an interracial couple -- Little Leaf is a Woodelf and Regent Cassipia is an Imperial.
    • baratron
      baratron
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      https://www.imperial-library.info/content/lgbtq-tamriel

Scroll down to Elder Scrolls Online. It's listed by NPC rather than by quest, and may include spoilers.
      Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
      Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
      Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
      Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
      Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
      Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
      Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
      Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
      Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
      Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    • Monte_Cristo
      Monte_Cristo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What about the quest in Rivenspire with the noble's daughter in the love triangle with a nobleman and a servant girl? The player chooses who she picks.
    • NaomiHutt
      NaomiHutt
      ✭✭✭✭
      There is a Nord adventurer called Naomi Ironhand from the Rift who is dating another adventurer called Motoko gra-Huttash who is a wood Orc from Valenwood

oh wait that's just mine and my partner characters, my bad :)

Please continue...
    • Carylas
      Carylas
      ✭✭✭
      The quest called "The Flower of Youth" involves a gay Bosmer couple in Greenshade.

In that quest, Hartmin says he brought his dying husband to see his favorite flowers Nereid's Smile for the last time, but can't find any of them nearby. You go and collect those flowers for them. It's a neat quest and a bit sad.