The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Disgusted of flying pets and twilights and players apathy

• Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Sarannah wrote: »
    They won't turn off pets and non-combat pets, as those are class based and bought in the store. So they want players to show them off.

They should turn them off visually when we are in the merchant/banker/crafting windows though.

Wait, pets mess up menus in those windows? What is the problem?
    They don't actually mess up those windows, but when a flying pet/summon is offscreen you constantly get the wings flapping before/through the camera. Highly annoying.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I ever make a sorc no pet will ever be used.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I officially ask the legitimate authorities of Alinor to declare as CRIMINAL the action of summoning Daedric companions in our glorious and unfouled cities.
    Then let the other coutries decide for their own if they tolerate such depravity, or if they follow our bright and clear path on the matter.

- Ajaxandriel, friend of all sorcerers but not the brazen ones.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

This would make at least two AD quests problematic as they involve deadra in major high elf cities.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree that the players with pets and mounts should have them disabled or be given a toggle to disable them, surely if the problem is that some players don't appreciate seeing them then the way to deal with that is to have a toggle to allow those players to choose not to see them.

Frankly they cause me a lot less irritation than duelists around wayshrines.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's totally fine, please don't mind me little flying pet dragon...

ApVJESs.png
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Played since beta and I have never had this problem. I've never not been able to turn in my writs, use a wayshrine, etc because of a pet in my way.

To the point that I am wondering if this is a problem for specific resolutions, POVs, or platform. Or a design issue in certain cities. I am being serious because I see these threads and I truly don't get why some people think this is a big deal. Most QoL annoyances are universal experiences so I'm wondering how it is possible I have not run into this.

If it matters, I am usually parked in Mournhold / PC / NA.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    Played since beta and I have never had this problem. I've never not been able to turn in my writs, use a wayshrine, etc because of a pet in my way.

To the point that I am wondering if this is a problem for specific resolutions, POVs, or platform. Or a design issue in certain cities. I am being serious because I see these threads and I truly don't get why some people think this is a big deal. Most QoL annoyances are universal experiences so I'm wondering how it is possible I have not run into this.

If it matters, I am usually parked in Mournhold / PC / NA.

My experience specifically with the Warden bear summon and the absolute 100% blocking of interaction with a quest-giver and with a crafting writ turn-in box occurred on PS4 NA. Literally, you get no interactable prompt when the bear parks itself a certain way. There is no work-around until the bear is gone in those instances.

They also block doorways, but usually I can wiggle around enough to get a prompt and warp through them. But not where an interaction box is small, like a crafting writ turn-in box.

Other summons or non-combat pets have not presented this problem for me, just the bear. Other people's bears (I don't have a Warden character myself).
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Gundug
    Gundug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problems with pets in general are their potentially annoying visuals, and in the case of combat pets specifically, their ability to interfere with interactions.

One excellent solution would be an option to turn off the display of other player pets, similar to the existing default option which turns off the display of other player skill effects. With the pets off function enabled, other player’s combat pets could be made to only appear to you when in combat against them, or while grouped with them, and other player’s vanity pets would never appear.

The other issue of not being able to interact through combat pets is mystifying, since the only interaction you may have with a combat pet is during battle against them. Player characters do not interfere with others in this way, so why their combat pets should do so makes no sense. It should be looked into and corrected. The fact of this change having been requested for years now with no acknowledgement by ZOS is discouraging.

The pets may be almost as irritating to their owners as some of the quest “buddies” that can be picked up, like the companions in the main quest, who often get in the way of lootable items and result in an unwanted dialog screen.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I officially ask the legitimate authorities of Alinor to declare as CRIMINAL the action of summoning Daedric companions in our glorious and unfouled cities.
    Then let the other coutries decide for their own if they tolerate such depravity, or if they follow our bright and clear path on the matter.

Cosigned! I don't see how summoning - or walking around with - the equivalent of demons in a town or city isn't a crime. lol. In future updates I think the skills should be changed to be criminal actions.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    1 million percent please remove the flying pets from another player's view when they are at the banker or crafting station. I beg. Especially the flying dragon, cats, bats, flies, mosquitoes, abomination bullshizz variety that will continually fly and flaps around and about another player's face and eyeballs at the bank while engaging the banker. Please. For the love of all that is good in Tamriel. Please, kind devs. Please. Don't care if people have hundreds of pets around them, not my business. But it become my business when they are flapping about constantly, continuously flickering in front of my screen/eyeballs while I am trying to access the banker. Have pity. I would use my personal banker away from the circus that is the bank, but it doesn't allow guild traders access.
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are enough stress and anxiety inducing bs happening in real life right now. We don't need to feel the same way in a game as well.
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are annoying . I usually heavy attack them to prove a point. Simple solution. Even when slotted and active combat pets should turn invisible when not in combat. So when the drums stop your pets should disappear.
    Edited by volkeswagon on August 11, 2020 1:51AM
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe change the way they are unsummoned?
    Maybe hold whatever button the skill is set to would unsummon, would work like a heavy attack in comparisson to the actve skill wich would be like the light attack
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "twilight player apathy" reads like a way to describe the mood of many players of my generation.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They won't turn off pets and non-combat pets, as those are class based and bought in the store. So they want players to show them off.

They should turn them off visually when we are in the merchant/banker/crafting windows though.

They don't actually mess up those windows, but when a flying pet/summon is offscreen you constantly get the wings flapping before/through the camera. Highly annoying.

Learning to chill is the solution then. Spend less energy looking for things to annoy you. If people are getting that annoying on little things like that, it is on them. Getting annoyed at trivial things like this isn't the fault of the object of annoyance.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think there is an issue with player apathy concerning pets. Most of us realize they are not a big deal as it is not common for them to block us from doing things since Zos made them so we can walk through them. Yes, it happens, but it is not often at all.
  • Dovakhan
    Dovakhan
    ✭✭✭
    Ysbriel wrote: »
    Are you playing from a laptop? I have a 27” monitor and i’ve never once had any issue where the matriarch, bear or any other pet has hindered my view or interaction with anything in the game.

I have a 32' one and play in 4K. Still *** annoying.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cosigned! I don't see how summoning - or walking around with - the equivalent of demons in a town or city isn't a crime. lol. In future updates I think the skills should be changed to be criminal actions.

There is at least two quests involving deadra in high elf towns. Also there is a vendor in craglorn that is deadric.

The lore is that the general populace is not as anti-deadra as you think.
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

There is at least two quests involving deadra in high elf towns. Also there is a vendor in craglorn that is deadric.

The lore is that the general populace is not as anti-deadra as you think.

Indeed, if anything the ability to summon daedra is considered mastery of an art and highly revered. The problem is that for some reason, people on the forum conflate it with necromancy or don't fully appreciate what the act of summoning means in the spectrum of TES lore.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Learning to chill is the solution then. Spend less energy looking for things to annoy you. If people are getting that annoying on little things like that, it is on them. Getting annoyed at trivial things like this isn't the fault of the object of annoyance.
    That response is so incredibly out of context. I am 'chill', it is simply annoying to see things constantly flapping while trying to craft.

Calling little things annoying is calling them annoying, that has nothing to do with the degree of annoyance. And I never said I was annoyed, I said it was annoying... major difference.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually try and remember to put mine away when I'm doing writs but I admit, I often forget to. If someone nicely whispers me about it, I often apologise and certainly do as asked, and put them away.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That response is so incredibly out of context. I am 'chill', it is simply annoying to see things constantly flapping while trying to craft.

Calling little things annoying is calling them annoying, that has nothing to do with the degree of annoyance. And I never said I was annoyed, I said it was annoying... major difference.

Nothing is "annoying" beyond the people being annoyed. There is no platonic annoying. Especially we are talking about zero functional impact. You just don't like the aesthetics.

I definitely agree though that pets get in the way of a considerable amount of functionality and gameplay, whether it is interacting with objects or the caster being unable to target because their pet is in their own face.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This whole thread is asking for basically summons to be wholly removed altogether, which I certainly hope doesn't happen because I enjoy the liveliness of seeing different summons and pets out and about while I'm in town. It adds at least a little bit of life to a game that is woefully devoid of immersion in any context.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q: How many places in eso world can you craft?

A: A lot.

If it is so bad in one tiny area...can you just go to another town temporarily.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EmEm_Oh wrote: »

Or you can just put your pet away just as easily.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it that apparently I'm the only person in the game who has never had summoned pets block and prevent my access to a crafting station?
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it that apparently I'm the only person in the game who has never had summoned pets block and prevent my access to a crafting station?

Too many people have problem with this to play that card.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there any place in the game where a quest would require you to go into combat next to a crafting station? I can only think of when you get caught stealing or Cyrodil. Maybe there's a way to create a cone of silence around the stations, banks, etc. and when you leave the force field, the pet snaps back to normal distance.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many people have problem with this to play that card.

Hence my question: How is it that I am the only person in this game who has never been blocked from a crafting station or a banker by floating summonables? The same summonables are in front of me at crafting stations, bankers, and outfit stations, and yet, I have been able to easily access the stations every single time without trouble.

They literally don't prevent you from doing anything. Not one single thing at all.
    Edited by amm7sb14_ESO on August 11, 2020 7:49PM
  • MistyRonin
    I don't tend to use pets, but I enjoy seeing other players using them. They never blocked anything from me. Today I even tried with my wife's pets to block the crafting stations or npcs, but it always worked, so I'm a bit surprised with all these claims.

As far as I know ESO only allows two pets per player (class combat pet, and the "decoration" one), so even in that regard it's quite tamed (in Guild Wars 2 for instance necromancers can have up to 5-6 pets following them around the map).