The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Snipe Desync

• Grimhallow
    Grimhallow
    ✭✭✭
    Snipe, or perhaps snipes odd interaction with stealth is uniquely broken in the way it desyncs and kills players. I didn’t even realize this was still a debate.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a snipe ultimate.
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    What platform do you play on? I can count on one hand how many times I've been killed by snipe in the past two years. This game has many things that desync and its very noticeable on things that do a lot of damage such as snipe, meteor, dizzy, bugs, the list goes on. If you are dying to snipes all the time you need to change something up. Are you in CP or no-cp? You need higher passive resistances and defenses, more hp, invest in the CP line that lowers damage you take from direct damage attacks. If they are close enough bash them to interrupt the snipe. If you even hear an arrow sfx dodge roll.

I’ve seen you around gankenstein I give you props even though you pretty much make snipe vids. You haven’t desynced me ever but... please believe... the snipe desync is real just like everybody says it is. It’s not some weird conspiracy. The mag and stam bar slam to zero... you walk around for 2 seconds... then you’re dead and the snipes start landing. Just like everybody says. Playing a tanky character and paying attention to your surroundings certainly helps but it isn’t a solution. If you’ve only been desynced 4 times in two years please consider it may be because you yourself have been invisible for 18 of those months. Let us have this simple thing. It’s preposterous it hasn’t been fixed. It doesn’t help that some people continue to deny its existence.

Right, im not saying desync isn't real, im saying snipe isn't the only thing that does it. I think it happens when you lose more hp then you have too fast (maybe also because of lag) and your end takes a second to catch up. Ive been desynced by lots of other abilities as well.

I get it with meteor and leap a ton too. Despite my most conscious forethought.
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • puupaa
    puupaa
    ✭✭✭
    I've been noticing it now and then, get stunned lose most of your health see snipes in recap, not even necessarily laggy fights.

Noticed this after one of those:

dSXnO9e.png

That's 2x 9641 damage snipes (second one killed me so it's clipped) in 6 milliseconds from the same person, according to what my "client" saw. Most likely meaning that the server sent a packet to my client that contained two snipes from the same person. Didn't notice any lag and everything else in that recap seems normal.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    puupaa wrote: »
    I've been noticing it now and then, get stunned lose most of your health see snipes in recap, not even necessarily laggy fights.

Noticed this after one of those:

dSXnO9e.png

That's 2x 9641 damage snipes (second one killed me so it's clipped) in 6 milliseconds from the same person, according to what my "client" saw. Most likely meaning that the server sent a packet to my client that contained two snipes from the same person. Didn't notice any lag and everything else in that recap seems normal.

Interesting to see they aren't on the same time stamp.

The other factor with snipes is that in many cases you are being fired upon from a different "node" than you are in. I know at some point they explained cyrodiil's structure as being a collection of nodes. It was obvious when interconnectivity was lagged and you would hit a node that hadn't been updated for you yet and it would act as a wall.

There has always been some glitchy behavior with how it works. Like you used to be able to detect where a ball group was by just doing a 360 and finding the lag. I used to be able to pretty reliably predict where a ball group was to which keep doing that, that's over distance as well.

I'm guessing all nodes in cyro send information to nearby nodes and over distance it depreciates. Like if there is a fervent laggy keep battle you could avoid much of the lag being 2+ nodes from the source. Think Alessia bridge versus front door being that distance.
  • puupaa
    puupaa
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting info about the nodes, if that's how it works, it could be that the double snipe happened because they crossed from one node to another while casting it, or I did.

It happened near Sejanus, somewhere around the Ayleid Well, so it could there's a node switch there. And now that I think about it I was once hit by 2x Assassin's Will in 1 second by someone when I was at the top of the stair thing near there, but that was a very laggy fight.
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dizzy swing. Same thing
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    precambria wrote: »
    Dizzy swing. Same thing

If so, please post videos and combat logs showing the same thing as the snipe video and log in this thread .
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Concrete
    Concrete
    ✭✭✭
    During prime time EU/PC to even get snipe to go off in less than 4 seconds, is lucky.
    To be hit by 4 lethal arrows in less than a second is a miracle.
    To have the same player do it more than once, is fishy.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    puupaa wrote: »
    Interesting info about the nodes, if that's how it works, it could be that the double snipe happened because they crossed from one node to another while casting it, or I did.

It happened near Sejanus, somewhere around the Ayleid Well, so it could there's a node switch there. And now that I think about it I was once hit by 2x Assassin's Will in 1 second by someone when I was at the top of the stair thing near there, but that was a very laggy fight.

I'm not pretending to understand how they do things, but at some point a dev explained it.

There will always be some wonkiness to attacks at range because of it.

One thing to note, and I could be totally wrong, is you don't see a lot of BG pvp complaining about snipe desyncs (at least I've never seen it on forums). Love to hear otherwise, but if it's not a thing it's likely they don't use nodes in BGs as it's max 12 players. So if it's true there are little to no snipe desyncs in BGs, it's likely what I said it could be.