The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you like having Racial Skills?

• TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don’t like racial skills
    No because they force you to use a race you do not like if you want to play a certain way and still be able to compete.

Maybe I want to be an Imperial Vampire who is a Mage but nope if I want to be a Mage I need to be a High Elf, Dark Elf or Breton otherwise I will be less then optimized.
    Options
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I like the racial skills
    [/quote]
    All I want is stamina racial passives for my Breton they have a history of assassins and knights as much as mages and look at that Breton assassin in the eso trailer truly badass 💪
    [/quote]

Bretons are the smallest men of the human races... lore wise their constantly outclassed by redguard, orcs, nords and imperials. They make up for this through enchanted gear, conjured help, knightly chapters with heavy calvery and a ton of bartering... seriously I hear some would sell their sister. If you play a Breton warrior, you shouldn't want to play as the brute orc or the skilled redguard, accept a disadvantage and overcome it with magic... that is what makes breton knights able to hold their own. As for the breton in the trailor I have no doubt that he's enchantmented with gear and spells such as boost agility, strength and endurance... and he still loses to the nord.
    Options
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do, they add flavor and depth to my character. It'd be more a concrete way of realizing a character than one-off dialogues, which are still cool.
    Options
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    Ascarl wrote: »
    Theoretically yes, but practically no due to poor balance. Stamina DD is orc or nothing etc.

If you want absolute optimization, maybe, which only really applies for the very top % of players who are trying to be Trials records.

The difference between an Orc Stamina DD compared to any other race is ~2-5k dps, which is really nothing and does not hinder you from completing content in any way.

I know players who run Nord and Imperial Stamina DD and still get top parses in trials groups, race helps a little but at the end of the day its player skill.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's rubbish, because there is only one right answer.

If people like it, it's only because they like being OP against anyone who either didn't know there was only one right answer, or went against that right answer, anyway.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Racial passives, but yes.

I love the swim speed on my argonians.

That means that you like swimming fast, not that you like racials.

Because the truth is that you probably dislike that you can't swim fast on other races and they have racials, too.

I like rolling around on my Bosmer.

Doesn't mean I like racials, just means I like rolling...
    Edited by Tigerseye on June 23, 2020 7:29PM
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    I do, they add flavor and depth to my character. It'd be more a concrete way of realizing a character than one-off dialogues, which are still cool.

They don't, though.

They add flavour to the race itself, but take away potential flavour from each individual of that race.

As all members of that race are painted as being the same.

Stereotyped.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    Yes, I like them a lot.

They are one of the things that I hold onto to convince myself that this is still trying to be a TES-style game rather than a cookie-cutter MMO with crass monetization.

It is also one of the very few mechanical reflections of character race. I'd love to see more along these lines (cultural skills, organisations, ability to change character screen backgrounds) but I doubt we'll see it as ZOS's current approach seems to be broader rather than deeper.

WoW has racials.

So, it's not a new thing for MMOs, cookie cutter or otherwise.
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    It's a role-playing game. Those who want every race, class, and build to be the same should consider whether role-playing games are really their thing.

Who said anything about classes, or builds?

We're talking about racials, here, not anything else.

You expect, when you choose a class, or make a build in a game, to only be able to play that class, or build, on that character.

Unless (in the latter case) you swap spec, or whatever, obviously.

Whereas, you don't necessarily expect to find that, when you choose a race, that race will only be any good for certain classes and builds.

As that is not the case in real life.

Certain races might have slight tendencies to be better at one thing, or another, but there are always variations within a race.
    Edited by Tigerseye on June 23, 2020 7:51PM
    Options
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the racial skills were lore friendly... But right now they aren't, ask bosmer and argonians.

I want my dps Argonian. I’m so pissed we’re the defacto assassins in lore. I am not opposed to seeing them all removed. That way I can play races I like with classes I like. Right now I’m being penalized for playing damage Argonians and nords.
    Edited by Aptonoth on June 23, 2020 7:51PM
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TES games have racials.

ESO is a TES game, therefore I want it to have racials.
    Shanehere wrote: »
    I know players who run Nord and Imperial Stamina DD and still get top parses in trials groups, race helps a little but at the end of the day its player skill.

^^^^ quoted for truth
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ok there's ES lore and tradition in past ES games but... This is an MMO not an RPG.

And in ESO racials so far have just been a FOTM pick that depens on the current flow of "standards", leaving a large amount of races as subpar choices or RP characters to say the least.

This is what we still have after 6 years so NO, racial skills would just make it worse.

Races should just be a merely cosmetic choice.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
    Options
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ok there's ES lore and tradition in past ES games but... This is an MMO not an RPG.

And in ESO racials so far have just been a FOTM pick that depens on the current flow of "standards", leaving a large amount of races as subpar choices or RP characters to say the least.

This is what we still have after 6 years so NO, racial skills would just make it worse.

Lots of people don't understand this is an mmo first ES game second.
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    Yes, I like them a lot.

They are one of the things that I hold onto to convince myself that this is still trying to be a TES-style game rather than a cookie-cutter MMO with crass monetization.

It is also one of the very few mechanical reflections of character race. I'd love to see more along these lines (cultural skills, organisations, ability to change character screen backgrounds) but I doubt we'll see it as ZOS's current approach seems to be broader rather than deeper.

WoW has racials.

The existence of racials at all is not what I was referring to.

It is the way that the devs had (at least originally) tried to make the racials they chose embody what previously existed in TES games (e.g. Altmer increased Max Magicka that existed in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and then ESO).

"The racials as implemented are one of the things... etc."
    Edited by Iluvrien on June 23, 2020 8:12PM
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »

I'm not sure the original creative director of the game would agree with you:

"I think this has to do with how we approach development. We were worried that the term MMO had become synonymous with a certain type of game with an almost exact set of rules. That was definitely a perception we felt, even internally. But we really wanted to be true to our IP first, and still have this amazing social game with thousands of players online. When I started on UO, MMO was a new term and there weren't limits on it. We don't dislike the term or the association, we love it. We just want to make sure people aren't expecting it to be a clone of certain games."

Emphasis mine from this post (on another forum).

Edit: Now, if you wanted to make a case that ESO has drifted away from this over time towards being more of a "classic" MMO then I probably wouldn't argue too hard.
    Edited by Iluvrien on June 23, 2020 8:18PM
    Options
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If the racial skills were lore friendly... But right now they aren't, ask bosmer and argonians.

I want my dps Argonian. I’m so pissed we’re the defacto assassins in lore. I am not opposed to seeing them all removed. That way I can play races I like with classes I like. Right now I’m being penalized for playing damage Argonians and nords.

Exactly.

People like you are the ones adding flavour to the game, with an unexpected class/race combo and instead of getting credit, you are getting penalised for it.
    Yes, I like them a lot.

WoW has racials.

The existence of racials at all is not what I was referring to.

It is the way that the devs had (at least originally) tried to make the racials they chose embody what previously existed in TES games (e.g. Altmer increased Max Magicka that existed in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and then ESO).

"The racials as implemented are one of the things... etc."

Oh OK, fair enough.
    Options
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want is stamina racial passives for my Breton they have a history of assassins and knights as much as mages and look at that Breton assassin in the eso trailer truly badass 💪
    [/quote]

Bretons are the smallest men of the human races... lore wise their constantly outclassed by redguard, orcs, nords and imperials. They make up for this through enchanted gear, conjured help, knightly chapters with heavy calvery and a ton of bartering... seriously I hear some would sell their sister. If you play a Breton warrior, you shouldn't want to play as the brute orc or the skilled redguard, accept a disadvantage and overcome it with magic... that is what makes breton knights able to hold their own. As for the breton in the trailor I have no doubt that he's enchantmented with gear and spells such as boost agility, strength and endurance... and he still loses to the nord.[/quote]
    This Breton op and has killed many nords 😎
    Edited by Deathlord92 on June 23, 2020 8:35PM
    Options
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes to racial passives. And that from someone who plays ONLY khajiit since January 2014 BETA!!!!
    Even during the years that Khajiit passives were really bad after the Beta Feb 2014 heavy nerf, which took them 5 years to fix the race.

Options
  • ImmortalCX
    ImmortalCX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a Redguard.

I remember in one of the quests, I met a Redguard NPC, who said "Magic does not come easy to my people". I wouldn't be surprised if that quest is removed from the game at some point in the future.

Like if a woman NPC in the game said, "math is hard". They would have to nix that.

So wouldn't be surprised if they remove racial differences at some point.
    Edited by ImmortalCX on June 23, 2020 9:22PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Racial passives, but yes.

I love the swim speed on my argonians.

That means that you like swimming fast, not that you like racials.

It does seem they were saying they like that particular racial passive.

I enjoy that the TES race has a purpose. Elves are known for their magical prowess and it is nice that is this is reflected in the game with passive that benefit Magicka ability with several Elven races. So many of us that like the race passives have reasons that are actually meaningful. Besides, the changes made last year do minimize the benefit of most of the passives making the choice less polarizing, less about being OP.

We all have our own opinions. I do suggest in this thread we be respectful of each other's opinions and not dismiss differing viewpoints on this subject.

Edit: The last paragraph is not a dig at the person I quoted. Just a general suggestion for all of us on such a subject.
    Edited by idk on June 24, 2020 6:11AM
    Options
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Yes, because its true to lore and the TES but... not in ESO.

Min/Max for example... it wouldn't be as much of an issue if they would fix how they scale dmg (mag vs stam). Why keep the racials at all if it boils down to what racial skill line you want and what resource you are going to worship. It goes against TES very core, imo, and it destroys diversity. You can't be creative. You have to follow, or imitate, a mold.
    Options
  • Darkenarlol
    Darkenarlol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have some RP in mind or just some personal preferences you are mostly ignoring

those little disadvantages you get in case of let's say bosmer magsorc or breton stamplar

(if you are creative enough those "disadvantages" can be even turned into sweet bonuses in some builds)

if you are the meta chaser type then...let's be honest you will play a character with an a*s mounted

on his/her shoulders instead of head if it gives you another 0.0001% of desired stat/dps
    Options
  • willjones1122
    willjones1122
    ✭✭✭
    For those saying this is an mmo, not a tes game you're leaving out three letters: rpg. I come from a D&D background. Racial bonuses have always been a thing in fantasy rpg. You pick your race based on the character you want to play... If that means playing against type then you live with that choice, and it can make for some very interesting rp/head cannon. If your not about rp, just play the race that gives you the bonus you want. None of the races have a "disadvantage"(i.e. none of them have reduced stats/abilities based on race like you do in some rpgs including TES games) just different strengths based on racial evolution/disposition and lore.
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Tough one for me. I like them and I don't.

I am right in the middle where I wish that if I wanted to play an orc, I could be one for the look of it without it impacting my optimization in any way. I definitely am closer to wanting to always improve and it will bug me if I know a racial passive will help at with my build and I don't have it.

On the other hand, even as I say that I think the racials help give the races meaning and if ESO were to remove the passives now I would be disappointed. I like considering "best race" for a build and the fact that there is such a thing keeps me from making the same similar looking characters over and over. Haha.

Basically the passives add a small dimension to the game that I like but does limit me because I care JUST enough not to stay in a sub optimal race for any character that I am actively maintaining.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if they were more balanced? I don't know. It is kind of a pain that it kind of forces you into specific races to be meta at certain roles. And some races out perform others even at what roles they are good at.
    Options
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I like them when they are lore friendly/correct and correspond with 25 years of precedent.
    Six years ago when this game was full price, Bosmer had stealth. They didn’t give us a satisfactory response on why it was removed 5 years later, just “We’ll have stealth options in the future”.
    Argonian npcs still say their race is immune to disease and poison; Argonian players lost it for no valid reason or trade off.

The Elsweyr racial changes are my number one sore point in this game. Number 1. Not lag, not Cyrodiil, not crown crates, none of that. The removal of legacy features that has been in all TES games and lore is the single worst thing they’ve done imho.
    Edited by max_only on June 26, 2020 3:25PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
    Options
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last racial passive changes seemed to be quite bad for elf races. High elves passives became well it's mostly magika based yet they have one that restores the lower one of either stamina or magika so....yeah. Dark elves lost their flame damage boost and seem to be just a hybrid class not doing better as either role but able to do both.
    Edited by ZaroktheImmortal on June 24, 2020 12:43AM
    Options
  • SFDB
    SFDB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It should be split between Racial and Discipline, with Discipline allowing you to choose among the combat-based boosts, but the cost is influenced by your racial choice (eg, an Altmer gets full Magic boost with 3 skill points, but a Redguard would need 7). Everybody can get there, but someone without the right background would have to work harder to do it.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I don't understand your point. You claim "this is an mmo first," yet races are not merely cosmetic. What is the connection you are trying to make?
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'm indifferent to them. I'll usually put some skill points into them because we have more than enough skill points and passives which apply all the time are better than nothing, but they never influence my choice of race and I couldn't even tell you what most of them do.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options