Do you like having Racial Skills?

UGotBenched91
UGotBenched91
✭✭✭✭✭
Do you like having Racial Skills? Why or why not?

I’m not a big fan as I think it hinders the diversity of the game. Yes, you can play what you want but sometimes it puts you at a disadvantage. I’m running a Orc Magicka Necro and while it still works it is at an disadvantage when you look at the Min and Max.
Edited by UGotBenched91 on June 23, 2020 2:34PM

Do you like having Racial Skills? 342 votes

Yes, I like the racial skills
76%
ImryllNyteshadeiamkeeblerCaligamy_ESOStxBigBraggdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOhaploeb14_ESOkendellking_chaosb14_ESOLisaWuffyCeruleixaraanFaulgorDracaneNemesis7884Iruil_ESOp_tsakirisb16_ESOScardyFoxnikolaj.lemcheb16_ESOlord_dal 262 votes
No, I don’t like racial skills
15%
ZardayneDaveMoeDeessewallb14_ESOluen79rwb17_ESORecktrithiusOediphitryTX12001rwb17_ESOPathAsysKnightpantherAnhedonieMettaricanaParasaurolophusAurrynthea_DrakeSnowZeniaMyythRunefangsplitsandCerboltEctheliontnacilANGEL_BtVS 52 votes
Other
8%
BlueRavenThorntonguenihoumab14_ESODanikatalainjbrennanb16_ESOSulsariespeacenotemax_onlykathandiraSydneyGreySFDBTelvanniWizardRaudgraniMagicalLijaLeHarrt91Temeraire507skrvbb10rdRakeCundu_ErturUryel 28 votes
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its an ESO game. It would feel wrong if your racial choice didn't mean something other than how npcs interact with you. In other ES games, not only do you have racial passives, but you ALSO get racial active abilities - Nords have an ability that increases defense, dark elves have the ancestral ghost that you can summon early on, Imperials had the voice of the emperor which decreased agro against you, etc.

As with other games in this series, you can play how you want, but that doesn't mean every character is going to be optimal. But the good news is unless your trying to compete for scored/timed trials, the difference isn't going to be so great that you can't complete content.

My main character is a Nord healer - not a meta race for a magika character, but I've competed tons of hard vet dungeons with him and the passives IMO still add to what a healer needs to be effective - ultimate generation for higher war horn uptimes and built in damage reduction and health for more survivability, because a dead healer leads to a dead team.
    Options
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Having racial skills actually makes the game more diverse. It would be boring if there where no racial differences, with pros and cons.
    Options
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    The racial skills add another layer to character creation, which is awesome. And it makes sense that some would be better at a specific thing than another because of their backgrounds and how each race evolved. Plus it means that at end game different races can spread CP differently leading to more diversity of builds and such. If you don't like your characters race buy a race change token or start a new character in a magicka race, or just swap your necro over to stam.
    The racial skills are just another skill tree, and unlike class skills they are changeable.
    If your argument was against them from a social issue stand point I would understand that, but from a game play perspective your characters race has been an essential part of character building from the very dawn of the mmorpg genre, and honestly even before that with D&D.

Being at a disadvantage, especially on something you have the power to change, is not the games fault, and when that disadvantage is only a few thousand dps at the very top end of player skill that only a few percent of players even reach, well it really doesn't matter, and calling to remove it is just one more step towards making every character and every build identical.
    Options
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    If the racial skills were lore friendly... But right now they aren't, ask bosmer and argonians.
    Options
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like having them.

However I do believe, you should be able to have a choice of one of three skill lines, Magicka, Stam or Health. Each race has its own mix and vaules and some races better stats in some areas than others (to fit lore etc) But would mean you wouldn't be stuck with one race to able to min/max at end game.

Just my wishful thinking. :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely yes, but still feel like argonians and imperials need more love at that department.
    Options
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Theoretically yes, but practically no due to poor balance. Stamina DD is orc or nothing etc.
    Options
  • finehair
    finehair
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wish there were active racial skills as well. For example major resolve buff with longer duration than 20 seconds for tanky races and major dmg buff for damagey races etc.
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I like them a lot.

They are one of the things that I hold onto to convince myself that this is still trying to be a TES-style game rather than a cookie-cutter MMO with crass monetization.

It is also one of the very few mechanical reflections of character race. I'd love to see more along these lines (cultural skills, organisations, ability to change character screen backgrounds) but I doubt we'll see it as ZOS's current approach seems to be broader rather than deeper.
    Options
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If they are not going to get the racials right (bosmers, argonians, orcs, etc) then don’t have racials.

This game is based on the Elder Scrolls franchise, not a splinter universe where all the races have the same names but are in fact completely different.

It’s like the people who made the racials have never played an es game before.
    Edited by BlueRaven on June 23, 2020 3:13PM
    Options
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    redgaurd was nerfed...i don't care what anybody says...I've already proved it when I swiched to orc. That reduction is negligible when playing stamina. (I am not sure about magica)

DO NOT PUT REDGUARD WITH TEMPLAR!!!! THAT IS THE WORST COMBINATION KNOWN TO MAN!!!
    Options
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    I like having them.

However I do believe, you should be able to have a choice of one of three skill lines, Magicka, Stam or Health. Each race has its own mix and vaules and some races better stats in some areas than others (to fit lore etc) But would mean you wouldn't be stuck with one race to able to min/max at end game.

Just my wishful thinking. :)

Ha I don’t know much about Elderscrolls lore and I’m sure people would be upset but I like that idea. Pick Magicka focus when creating character and it gives different perks than the Magicka of other races.
    Options
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early TES games, gender played a role in character creation. Of course that would be problematic today. But the point is that as you remove all these choices and differences... your left with literally grey goo. Some folks enjoy the lore and love the racial perks, like me. Some folks want to play with perks but hate the pixels of such race. Honestly I believe that far fewer folks would play orcs if they weren't so damn good... and that makes me sad... they use the argument of racism to try and delete the actual races. Its okay to be what ever species you want, they are all great and unique, dont let anyone delete that with misguided crusades.
    Edited by orion_1981usub17_ESO on June 23, 2020 4:10PM
    Options
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early TES games, gender played a role in character creation. Of course that would be problematic today. But the point is that as you remove all these choices and differences... your left with literally grey goo. Some folks enjoy the lore and love the racial perks, like me. Some folks want to play with perks but hate the pixels of such race. Honestly I believe that far fewer folks would play orcs if they were so damn good... and that makes me sad... they use the argument of racism to try and delete the actual races. Its okay to be what ever species you want, they are all great and unique, dont let anyone delete that with misguided crusades.

Orcs master race . Ha I’d just like to see more thin orcs or even Magicka orcs. All I see are super muscular or obese.
    Options
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I’m not a big fan as I think it hinders the diversity of the game.

Removing a layer of character building adds just as much to diversity as the outfit station did.

Because that's exactly what you race choice would become: a pure visual without consequences.
    Options
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It completely sucks imo and hope in the future there’s a way to pick racial skill lines through a special kinda quest.
    Options
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Orcs master race . Ha I’d just like to see more thin orcs or even Magicka orcs. All I see are super muscular or obese.

I don't think anyone would stop you lorw wise from playing a magicka orc. Orcs have shaman and wise women, ect. But it becomes a stretch when orcs mages would be equally powerful as a high elf. Their cultures naturally pursue different agendas. A skinny orc would likely be pittied by other orcs and hidden away or maybe even cast out for being weak, left to die the most honorable death their frail frame could acquire. Lore is a beautiful thing and should be celebrated instead if just turned into numbers to be crunched.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not have racial skills. We have racial passives. I replied as though OP actually means racial passives. The passives add meaning to the choice or race which brings flavor to the game. I have always found the choice of the race completely boring and near pointless in games where it is meaningless.
    Options
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think anyone would stop you lorw wise from playing a magicka orc. Orcs have shaman and wise women, ect. But it becomes a stretch when orcs mages would be equally powerful as a high elf. Their cultures naturally pursue different agendas. A skinny orc would likely be pittied by other orcs and hidden away or maybe even cast out for being weak, left to die the most honorable death their frail frame could acquire. Lore is a beautiful thing and should be celebrated instead if just turned into numbers to be crunched.
    All I want is stamina racial passives for my Breton they have a history of assassins and knights as much as mages and look at that Breton assassin in the eso trailer truly badass 💪
    Options
  • Myyth
    Myyth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to have an Orc sorcerer and not feel that I have wasted skills. And I also do not want to feel like every healer must be an Argonian to get the full benefit.

They should just remove racials and go back to choosing birth signs at character creation like in the elder scrolls games. Then if you want to have an Orc born under the Mage you can.
    Options
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial passives, but yes.

I love the swim speed on my argonians.
    The Moot Councillor
    Options
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Do you like having Racial Skills? Why or why not?

I’m not a big fan as I think it hinders the diversity of the game. Yes, you can play what you want but sometimes it puts you at a disadvantage. I’m running a Orc Magicka Necro and while it still works it is at an disadvantage when you look at the Min and Max.

I do like them, but I think it may be time to remove any and all combat related Racial skills. It is evident that ZoS has a difficult time balancing skills and gear. They would be doing themselves a favor by taking the combat related racial bonuses away completely.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All I want is stamina racial passives for my Breton they have a history of assassins and knights as much as mages and look at that Breton assassin in the eso trailer truly badass 💪

Seen from the lore Bretons resist magic far better than most - which means they are less likely to be fooled by magic. I see magic in a whole as not taking place at all in the real world, but it is just a mind game, and if you suffer from damage of magic spells, this is because of your mind being effected - Bretons are a tick better with seeing through this and so they are more resistant - but this is eventually just my personal way to accept magic with a non-magical explanation of how it might work. Just like magicians on earth, the are playing tricks on your mind and you "experience" magic, where there is none.

So seen from this, Bretons are not really stamina based, but strong in their mind - which would be magicka stat therefore.
    Options
  • Alidel
    Alidel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would actually like having some active racial skills as well.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a role-playing game. Those who want every race, class, and build to be the same should consider whether role-playing games are really their thing.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that they exist, but they could use some work. Some things just don’t make sense, Bosmer is not sneaky, Altmer has the worst Magicka sustain, Khajiit crits hit lower than elf and orc crits. And some races are just overpowered (Orc) or underpowered (Argonian). In the current meta, sustain races (Breton, Redguard, Bosmer) are falling behind and could use a small buff.
    Options
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the racials because elder scrolls races have always had clear strengths and weaknesses, and also if you took those racials away, that would be just one step closer to dumbing the game down or watering the game down.
    Options
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. Class is already a static category for my character. I don't need more of those. I have 3 characters of each class. I could prefer to have them all start from the same baseline and then the build I choose determines everything else. Race becomes an additional thing you have to build around when I would prefer it to just be something cosmetic.
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, though they still are not balanced as well as they could be.

It would be interesting to make use of things like the CP system (or new version of it) to allow players to modify racials in a minor way (obviously not in an OP way) so that if you wanted a magicka based orc you could lean some passives toward that route. (I'd rather see CP system used more in this creative way than just as a pure power boost to combat abilities).

In the end though, you could take those same really good players that we see parse videos of and put them on the worst race for that build and they'd still kick most players butts in DPS. Your build and rotation will matter 100x more than most racial passives. Though there are a few still a bit overtuned, they aren't in a crazy spot at least.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Health,Magicka,Stamina don’t need to be a racial passive tho at the very least there should be a way to get these passives differently
    Options