The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Antiquties system is SOOOOO BORING - Even XP scrolls don't speed the leveling up

nk125x
nk125x
✭✭✭✭✭
Am beginning to think with also screwing up your 5-5-2 and for a lot of negatives are the mystic objects worth it?
  • Temeraire507
    Temeraire507
    ✭✭✭
    The system being boring is totally subjective, there are people who enjoy it. It was to be expected that it is not influenced by exp scrolls, as they only increase exp gained not anything else, so everything leveled in a different way (crafting, guilds, open world skill lines, alliance war skill lines) does not benefit at all.
    Whether the mythic items are worth it is entirely up to you. If the item benefits you over your current stuff you might want to invest into Antiquities, although it is probably not worth it if a single mythic item is your only motivation imo
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not obliged to do antiquities :D

If you are bored do something else ;)
    If you don't like the carrots at the end of the stick do something else :)
    Edited by Sturmfaenger on April 28, 2020 5:15PM
    PC/EU
  • RedReign
    RedReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I find antiquities to be a lot of fun.
  • Kaghei
    Kaghei
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite nice actually
    Alacrity
    World's Fastest AA
    World's First claimer of Bleakers
    First Grand Overlord Slayer
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The pieces of gear are nice, the system itself though, it's basically mobile gaming bs, not gonna do it for fun, that's for sure.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

See, that's just wrong. Mythic items are one of the main feature (the only new feature - no class, no guild skill lines, no new crafting profession) of Greymoor, and they are locked behind Antiquities.

Other alternative types of gameplay were added to ESO before, but they didn't gate exclusive gameplay-changing items behind those side activities. You're not obligated to do housing. You're not obligated to do Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood sneak and murder missions. You're not obligated to do Pickpocketing and Safebox-cracking. You can buy most furnishings, Motifs, Painting drops, etc from those gameplays at Guild Traders. And even if you do need a training dummy, you can buy one at a trader and place it in a free house. No need for grinding and leveling skill lines and farming up trash items so you can enjoy what you want. But with Antiquities these items are bound and locked behind hours of skill line levelling and lead-grinding.

I'm fine with them adding side activities, but let's not pretend that Antiquities is an optional side activity they added for fun. If they believed in the gameplay being genuinely good, people would do them for their own enjoyment (like housing), not because they locked a ton of stuff behind it. But Antiquities are so clearly designed to pressure every type of player into it. New Mythic sets for PvEers, new Mythic items for even crafter/gatherers (did you see that movement speed ring omg), bound furniture for housing fans, even siege weapons for PvPers, and of course cosmetics for the RPers - all of this bound and non-tradable.

Let's not be naive. Antiquities included such a wide selection of exclusive skill-line-gated and rng-lead-drop-gated rewards so that all types of players are forced to spend as much time as possible grinding it.
    • The skill lines require around 27 Skill Points to max out (Psijic Order took 19 and those are actually gameplay-impacting abilities), and most good items are locked behind higher skills (not like you can just walk up to any Treasure Chest and open the lock whenever you want).
    • Many leads come from non-guaranteed RNG locations (so you can't just reliably purchase leads from NPCs or loot from specific bosses).
    • The rewards are bound (you can usually trade loot from other side activities like Fishing, Treasure Chests, Heists and Murder Sprees).
    • The antiquities, especially the powerful new Mythic sets are not just Antiquitiy-skill-gated but DLC-gated too. (Psijic Order required only base game zones in addition to Summerset to max out, but the Graymoor's main feature will require other DLCs. A bit shady, don't you think? That a Bosmer lore Mythic item just so happens to come not from the base game Bosmer zones, but have fragments in Murkmire?)
    It's one thing to enjoy the gameplay of the system (plenty of people play braindead mobile games too, to each their own) but another thing to condone the exclusive reward structure that forces players to grind unrelated minigames if they want to stay competitive in their actual MMO gameplay.
  • nk125x
    nk125x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

See, that's just wrong. Mythic items are one of the main feature (the only new feature - no class, no guild skill lines, no new crafting profession) of Greymoor, and they are locked behind Antiquities.

Other alternative types of gameplay were added to ESO before, but they didn't gate exclusive gameplay-changing items behind those side activities. You're not obligated to do housing. You're not obligated to do Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood sneak and murder missions. You're not obligated to do Pickpocketing and Safebox-cracking. You can buy most furnishings, Motifs, Painting drops, etc from those gameplays at Guild Traders. And even if you do need a training dummy, you can buy one at a trader and place it in a free house. No need for grinding and leveling skill lines and farming up trash items so you can enjoy what you want. But with Antiquities these items are bound and locked behind hours of skill line levelling and lead-grinding.

I'm fine with them adding side activities, but let's not pretend that Antiquities is an optional side activity they added for fun. If they believed in the gameplay being genuinely good, people would do them for their own enjoyment (like housing), not because they locked a ton of stuff behind it. But Antiquities are so clearly designed to pressure every type of player into it. New Mythic sets for PvEers, new Mythic items for even crafter/gatherers (did you see that movement speed ring omg), bound furniture for housing fans, even siege weapons for PvPers, and of course cosmetics for the RPers - all of this bound and non-tradable.

Let's not be naive. Antiquities included such a wide selection of exclusive skill-line-gated and rng-lead-drop-gated rewards so that all types of players are forced to spend as much time as possible grinding it.
    • The skill lines require around 27 Skill Points to max out (Psijic Order took 19 and those are actually gameplay-impacting abilities), and most good items are locked behind higher skills (not like you can just walk up to any Treasure Chest and open the lock whenever you want).
    • Many leads come from non-guaranteed RNG locations (so you can't just reliably purchase leads from NPCs or loot from specific bosses).
    • The rewards are bound (you can usually trade loot from other side activities like Fishing, Treasure Chests, Heists and Murder Sprees).
    • The antiquities, especially the powerful new Mythic sets are not just Antiquitiy-skill-gated but DLC-gated too. (Psijic Order required only base game zones in addition to Summerset to max out, but the Graymoor's main feature will require other DLCs. A bit shady, don't you think? That a Bosmer lore Mythic item just so happens to come not from the base game Bosmer zones, but have fragments in Murkmire?)
    It's one thing to enjoy the gameplay of the system (plenty of people play braindead mobile games too, to each their own) but another thing to condone the exclusive reward structure that forces players to grind unrelated minigames if they want to stay competitive in their actual MMO gameplay.

I couldnt say it better
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am loving the antiquities system. It is definitely not a "level-in-an-hour" skill line though.

In my opinion Antiquities is the equivalent of Jewelcrafting or Necromancer for a new "Chapter" thing. It isn't intended to be a base-game thing as you have to do the tutorial in Solitude to unlock it.

I haven't located many Mythic leads yet but I did uncover Snow Treaders which has fragments in:
    Bleakrock, Eastmarch, The Rift, Coldharbour and Western Skyrim.

Also, as the game ages, certain DLCs become free and Chapters a year after they are added. I like that Antiquities is really encompassing the entire game to date, giving me a reason to visit all the zones again and snoop around for leads.

It isn't for everyone. I started leveling Antiquities a week ago and I am at 9 Scry and slowly progressing, but it def helps to locate leads and do those (+5 for purple advanced and +10 for the gold Master leads) rather than try to level without finding any leads. (+1 green and +3 blue treasures and you need 200 skill xp to get from 9 to 10)

• Paradisius
    Paradisius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am enjoying Antiquities alot more than I thought I would, and even not counting the Mythic items (Which have had mixed impressions) the new cosmetics and furnishings are really good! theres alot to get and Im looking forward to the system hitting live servers
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arte Mythic Items account bound or character bound?
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

10/10 post. The best way you can sum this mess up.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Nagastani
    Nagastani
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to separate some items here. It sounds like people are into Antiquities system for different reasons that they have stated above.

Personally, I'm not interested, least not yet. What does interest me is getting my builds setup correctly and frustration over how ever long that is going to be now.

Regarding the mystic sets, I think you raise a great question about how that is going to fit into your build and to some extent this will be tied to the Vamp changes if your char is a Vamp also. Personally again, I pretty much know what I want and am not interested in the mythic sets either. I'd rather have a build that works rather than spend weeks theory crafting something, putting out a ton of time and money for that which will eventually be getting nerfed and boxed up.

That hype train doesn't go very far these days.
    Edited by Nagastani on April 28, 2020 9:36PM
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    For someone who is not on the PTS but has a specific Mythic Item that I think I’ll very much want to build a build around, can anyone tell me how much time investment you think it’d take to get a specific Mythic Item you want?
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent post @bluebird
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the player dismissing OP are off base IMO. Mini games in larger games (like lock picking, or hacking in FO) are extremely boring to a lot of players. Combine that with the fact that these are essentially mobile games (just RNG puzzle games put in because they are the easiest thing to make players hammer something out over and over with the least amount of work) which some don't like as well and it being one of the biggest new features in the game, his complaint is valid.

I, for example, despise mini games and don't enjoy those type of mobile games.

But, I love housing. So I will be forced into repeating this type of gameplay that isn't enjoyable to get the most out of a different part of the game I enjoy.

I also love playing fashion scrolls - there are motifs behind the system.

And obviously the actual gear rewards are good for anyone playing the main part of the game - also locked behind the system.

There are a lot of players that love mini games or mobile games like that, so of course there will be a bunch of vocal supporters popping up for the system. And of course plenty of streamers will enjoy it b/c it's a mindless activity to do while they stream, gives them one more piece of content like writs to do that doesn't require as much focus as doing a trial or something. But to me it's like telling me I have to grind this mindless activity for days and days just to get up to the point where I can start playing the mini game I don't enjoy to begin with and start maybe earning what I want from the RNG system.

I bet a lot of players that love it now would suddenly sing a different tune if this much new content was locked behind something like pvp for example (yes, I know some stuff is already, but not this amount). Imagine having to grind up skill lines in pvp more than the alliance war lines now, use 3x or more the skill points (and not for skills useful in any other part of the game), all to earn that stuff in a type of gameplay you do not enjoy just to open stuff for other gameplay you actually enjoy. (And before anyone tries to run with the comparison, I will gladly point out how easy it is to grind up your AW levels without even pvping vs. how long the grind will be to play antiquities, not to mention the rewards usually behind pvp are no way near what is offered with this system).

TBH, this expansion started out as 'cool, get to return to part of skyrim and adventure' to 'wow, now I have to grind vMA again, content I hate; AND grind a mini game, content that does not look fun.' I'm glad others enjoy it, but there seems to be a problem with people relating to other people. I don't have a problem seeing why PvE players that hate cyrodiil don't want to pvp and get upset when stuff is locked behind it, despite the fact that it doesn't bother me.

Personally, if the scrying game stayed as is, but they made the second part into something better it would help the system. I know they won't put the effort into reworking it b/c it's too far along and enough people like the system. But the digging mini game is so laughably bad looking: no matter where you are it's always just sand/dirt and day time - show up in snowy area at night - same screen. Show up in jungle in pouring rain, same screen. So aside from not liking that it snaps me out of my character view to a helicopter view, the fact it's also of an area that looks nothing like where the treasure is found just makes it look extremely lazily designed.

When I heard it described, I thought I'd get to play like Indiana Jones. Certainly expected some sort of mini game tie in with scrying for locations, but thought it wouldn't go from one mini game into another. Would have liked after the location was found, some sort of simple quest, whether taking me to a cave or tomb or some location where you had to deal with different challenges (could be different for different zones). The system as it is, is like Indiana Jones without all the actual action and fun parts. I guess the way I'd like would be just too much work.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • MilkJugg24
    MilkJugg24
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised no one in this thread has compared Antiquities to Archaeology in World of Warcraft. It's essentially the same system, and proves to always be a controversial feature from expansion to expansion.

Everyone is allowed to dislike a system, but saying that it's boring is indeed subjective. I am all-for additional systems, as long as their implementation is seamless and coheres to future content releases and game design changes.
    I play on PC NA! Currently looking for a casual dungeon and trial group/guild. If you want to talk, feel free to message me here or in-game to Pizza (Yes, I'm the original Pizza)
    Follow me on Twitter for video games and cats. I also casually stream on Twitch!
  • Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭

I agree you have a point but it's missing some things.

Gated content is everywhere. I have to do dungeons to get monster helms. vMA to get master weapons. Other sets are gated behind specific content. And so on, when all I really want to do is play PvP.

So mythic items being gated behind something you'd rather not do is nothing new, and all preference based.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nice write-up. I agree. And it has been a pattern.

I remember how disenchanted I was when the transmutation system rolled out and, though it required researched traits such that it seemed tied to crafting, there was no benefit to crafters and each individual had to research their own traits to take advantage of the system. I had envisioned a trade window where crafters could transmute for other folks, for a tip... but no. Players were clearly being forced into the crafting system to be able to take advantage of an often requested feature. That is nothing compared to how pervasive Antiquities is.

I don't judge folks who enjoy it but I pretty much would have rather seen development efforts go into anything else, and it definitely feels forced and grind-y.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    But the digging mini game is so laughably bad looking: no matter where you are it's always just sand/dirt and day time - show up in snowy area at night - same screen. Show up in jungle in pouring rain, same screen. So aside from not liking that it snaps me out of my character view to a helicopter view, the fact it's also of an area that looks nothing like where the treasure is found just makes it look extremely lazily designed.

When I heard it described, I thought I'd get to play like Indiana Jones. Certainly expected some sort of mini game tie in with scrying for locations, but thought it wouldn't go from one mini game into another. Would have liked after the location was found, some sort of simple quest, whether taking me to a cave or tomb or some location where you had to deal with different challenges (could be different for different zones). The system as it is, is like Indiana Jones without all the actual action and fun parts. I guess the way I'd like would be just too much work.
    Yep. I actually really enjoyed hunting Elsweyr clues with Abnur Tharn in a bunch of ruins. :smile: Find clues from the Khajiiti stories to figure our which delve or dungeon they refer to, then discover the hidden entrance to a lunar area, solve light puzzles and riddles to unlock the prize. I think that was a pretty good treasure hunter experience. And it was immersive, it was my character interacting with the world of ESO.

But Excavating (and Scrying too) are nothing like that. They have 0 connection to our character or the world, as you said. The images and interfaces have nothing to do with the location, with lore, with your current objective, nothing. The UI is intrusive, so it's not even our characters interacting with things, and the aesthetics look like somebody ported a cheap mobile game into ESO and didn't even bother to reskin it to fit better.

We already had great treasure hunt designs in the Abnur quests, and even in the Murkmire tomb raiding quest. But the Antiquities are just a thinly disguised mobile game grind.
    Nyteshade wrote: »

Gated content is everywhere. I have to do dungeons to get monster helms. vMA to get master weapons. Other sets are gated behind specific content. And so on, when all I really want to do is play PvP.

So mythic items being gated behind something you'd rather not do is nothing new, and all preference based.
    Gating PvE weapons behind PvE content has nothing to do with it. Let's not act surprised that people need to complete Arenas for Arena weapons, or trials for Asylum weapons. They put Perfected armor sets behind trials too. But why exactly should powerful PvE/PvP gear come from Tetris?

The game also gates PvP siege weapons behind Cyrodiil as you can buy them there, which is the gameplay where they belong. Why exactly should the new Cyrodiil siege weapon come from Candy Crush?

Why should motifs, cosmetics and furniture from Antiquities be bound, when motifs from trials and dungeons aren't bound, when Fish from Fishing aren't bound, when Assassin motifs from assassination minigames aren't bound, when Thief motifs from sneak and steal minigames aren't bound, when Paintings from Lockpicking minigames aren't bound, when costume and pet pieces dropping from Public Dungeons aren't bound, when even furniture crafted from Writ vendor schematics aren't bound?

So it isn't 'preference based', it's common sense based, and the current Antiquities system goes against common sense. People can make a case for the gameplay itself (and they're free to enjoy it, I'm not trying to take that away from them :smile: ). Let them have their minigames, and by all means keep the sellable gold treasures and lore snippets as rewards for digging up Anitquities, people are welcome to them! But it's impossible to make any case for why all of this stuff should be bound and locked behind mobile games - apart from the obvious reason of ZOS wanting to force as many types of players as possible to buy as many DLCs as possible to grind for hours.

Antiquities is far removed from all other minigames which exist as a side activity, in its current form it's actually an endgame progression system! Mobile games need to stay in their lane, seriously. :lol:
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mini games are basically F2P mobile game style. It’s sad but oh well.

Does anyone have an accurate representation of Mythic Item drop rates? Is it guaranteed through certain quests or is it pure rng..... and if so how bad is that rng
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mix except no dlc is free. One or two dlcs have been given away for free for a short time and occasionally they go on sale, but other than those couple of free giveaways you have to pay to get access to them. So unless ZOS plans on making all chapter and story dlcs free for all players this is going to force people to pay for more than the base game and Greymoor to play the major feature of Greymoor. It would be a bit like them forcing you to get every dlc between base game and Summerset simply to be able to use jewel crafting.
    Sorry but the way this system worksmakes me very much not want to get Greymoor at all and am making me reevaluate my future financial support of this game.
  • Bw04h
    Bw04h
    In regard to the seige anybody nows how many you get, like do I have to farm for them individually each time?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice if they retroactively gave us a Fishing skill line that helped with fishing time and fish quality. People fish enough to level it for sure.
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    nk125x wrote: »
    Am beginning to think with also screwing up your 5-5-2 and for a lot of negatives are the mystic objects worth it?

there are a lot of people that play handy app games like crazy, so people that like those might also like the antiquities system. keep that in mind!
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not ashamed to admit this, but I kinda had fun with the antiquity system, which I wasn't expecting to. Yes it will be one heck of a grind, but if you want the mythic items bad enough then it will be worth it. They're definitely strong, but in a way they are pretty niche, so you're not missing out if you don't bother with it.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it could be nice to have it completed in one second.
    Sarcasm

i cant belive someone is complaining about content added to game. if you want to finish something quick, play COD . there you have only 6 hours camp.
    Edited by Anyron on April 29, 2020 8:25AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyteshade wrote: »

vMA requires Orsinium. Zaan requires Dragon Bones. Antiquities require every DLC in the game.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 29, 2020 8:34AM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antiquity system is much more fun than Maelstrom Arena. There are bound weapons and armor locked behind arenas too, so I don't see a point of 'it is not a side activity, as you get Mythic Items from it'.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mythic gear is a thing, but ..
    Are the pieces of furniture also bound?
    It's a bit sad, if they are
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Would be nice if they retroactively gave us a Fishing skill line that helped with fishing time and fish quality. People fish enough to level it for sure.

They could add alchemy mats for fishing too :)
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit