The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dynamic Population Caps - ever going to happen?

Taylor_MB
Taylor_MB
✭✭✭✭✭
Because we really really need them...

b3XbmkF.png

I see no downsides, but maybe I'm just being naive.

I implore anyone who might find themselves in a situation where they severely outnumber, try out anoher form of PvP
1) Use the non-faction lock to play toons on other factions and encourage competitive PvP
2) Play in IC
3) Play battlegrounds
4) Play in a different campaign
5) Duel in Stormhaven (or at a random location in Cyrodiil)
Edited by Taylor_MB on April 19, 2020 1:08AM
PvP Defensive Set Comparison
Firestarter MagDK 1vX
- build and gamplay!
LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
- build and gamplay!
ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
- build and gamplay!
Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
My YouTube Chanel

• caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t prohibit people from pvp’ing just cause another alliance doesn’t have enough people.
    It’s almost as if we had the ability to play on any faction on any campaign.... oh wait, forgot about “loyalty.”
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about how frustrated you would get if you could not log into your home campaign not because it was full but because one of the other alliances simply were not logged in. Population balance is always the great weakness to a Cyrodiil style of PvP but I will take unbalanced population over not being able to play any day of the week.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about how frustrated you would get if you could not log into your home campaign not because it was full but because one of the other alliances simply were not logged in. Population balance is always the great weakness to a Cyrodiil style of PvP but I will take unbalanced population over not being able to play any day of the week.

Personally, I would not get frustrated at all. My PvP has always been highly diversified, I would chose one of the options in the OP well before a pop cap would kick in anyway, and would encourage as many as possible to do the same thing.

Would not work for everyone, but if enough people did it (optimism) the problem would be solved.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Initially it could be frustrating. Long term it could lead some people to switching to other alliances balancing out population over time. The choice would be to spread out among factions as campaigns reset, or pile on one and endure the queue.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »

Initially it could be frustrating. Long term it could lead some people to switching to other alliances balancing out population over time. The choice would be to spread out among factions as campaigns reset, or pile on one and endure the queue.

Most would pile on one and endure the queue rather than suffer what would be there in lieu of PvP from underdog's PoV. Which is rational.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To say it with the words of the dev: "You are outnumbered, you should lose"

It has reached almost a comedic stage on PC EU. The factions take now turns in which they will hugely outnumber the other factions and cap the whole map.

6am-8am: AD 2bar organized vs 1bar dc and ep
    8am-6pm: DC 2-4 bar vs 1-2 ad and ep
    prime time: LAG vs all
    12pm-6am EP poplocked and later still always more player with emp vs 1bar ad and dc
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t prohibit people from pvp’ing just cause another alliance doesn’t have enough people.
    It’s almost as if we had the ability to play on any faction on any campaign.... oh wait, forgot about “loyalty.”

The definition of pvp can be stretched quite far from its original meaning. Rather can´t prohibit people from taking the advantage of an empty pvp map.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeni has not demonstrated that they’re capable of implementing such a thing well. When “match 3 teams of 4 players each” a a bar too high to clear, when “match a tank, healer and 2 damage dealers” is too complicated to to reliably, dynamic population caps are way way out of reach :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The definition of pvp can be stretched quite far from its original meaning. Rather can´t prohibit people from taking the advantage of an empty pvp map.

Let me put it another way, no you shouldn’t be kept out of cyrodiil because your faction currently has more people on it than the others. Why? Your tears for the map don’t override my ability to play.
    To be clear, I play DC PC/NA.
    Edited by caeliusstarbreaker on April 23, 2020 2:03AM
    K-Hole
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me put it another way, no you shouldn’t be kept out of cyrodiil because your faction currently has more people on it than the others. Why? Your tears for the map don’t override my ability to play.

Ok if you misssed the point I repeat it. There are players who like to paint the map one color. Never said you should/ could be kept from doing that. Read the first post in this thread. Keep that in mind that these DC more than not were not having many opponents. Thus coming to the conclusion this is hardly pvp like it should be understood.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok if you misssed the point I repeat it. There are players who like to paint the map one color. Never said you should/ could be kept from doing that. Read the first post in this thread. Keep that in mind that these DC more than not were not having many opponents. Thus coming to the conclusion this is hardly pvp like it should be understood.

Yea I understand that. I play in the main cp campaign and standard cp campaign where the overwhelming majority of map painting goes to EP, except certain hrs when it’s AD doing so. My point is that the idea of a “dynamic” population cap, where more of any alliance entering a campaign is controlled by the amount of members currently on the campaign in one alliance, is hogwash.

K-Hole
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I won't mince words, sorry, but it's a dumb idea. It will end up being a race to the bottom.

Faction locking did not help matters at all, just quietly.