The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Complete uninstall prior to tomorrow

theyancey
theyancey
✭✭✭✭✭
Instead of relying on everything working smoothly tomorrow I plan to use my uninstall utility tonight to completely remove the game and launcher along with all old add ons and such. No sense littering the drive with bits of code here and there. I still have tons of old add ons left since game launch that haven't been updated in years. It will be nice to begin with a completely virginal install. Is anyone else planning something similar or do you plan to let her rip and see how things work out?

Complete uninstall prior to tomorrow 211 votes

Uninstall completely prior to the new download
14%
theyanceyAcrolasdimeolas7b14_ESOColdforgeAlienSlofMaottibronskiSeptimus_MagnaAektannPocketNovadaimnecrospiritusKamatsuKuro_UrufuTurbineEthyarionMrGarlicSpiderCultistShardan4968ApexPredatorESL 31 votes
Nah, just let what will be happen
78%
laurajfvailjohn_ESOmesnaBloodgraveDean340Pinesyjsarthur_ESOZardaynealenae1b14_ESOJarndyceDarcyMardinBigMtspecherb14_ESONirntrotterNemesis7884Iruil_ESOixieMost_Awesomestevenyaub16_ESOaubrey.baconb16_ESO 166 votes
Something else (elaborate)
3%
RedTalonDanikatTommy_The_GunkinguardianSylvermynxrparedgreensunset 7 votes
Huh? Wut is this new donload tromorrow?
3%
DTStormfoxOhtimbardazeekarekizakillerninja6thissocalledflowerBranr 7 votes
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely uninstalling the game might actually be a bad move to be honest since uninstalling doesn't truly remove everything. You might end up creating a situation where you end up with little bits of code here and there that have a chance of not getting caught in the new installation.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was considering completely uninstalling because of potential disc space issues. I have now decided that given how many pc sometimes handles things... Just using the launcher may be the safer option in my case.
  • Garish
    Garish
    ✭✭✭
    Gina was asked in one of the livestreams if you have to uninstall the game for the new updates and she answered you do NOT have to uninstall the game. Just open the launcher and it will patch itself.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Huh? Wut is this new donload tromorrow?
    Wut is a donlod and why it tumooroo?
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too concerned about it. This is from the article about the update...

"ALL ESO players are required to completely re-download the game client upon the launch of Update 25. For the most part, this should not require any additional effort on your part; the ESO Launcher for PC/Mac or your console will begin the download automatically once the update goes live, so just let it run on its own. You shouldn’t notice any other changes to the launcher or download process, and your user settings and add-ons should remain untouched (although it never hurts to back them up!).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to begin the download for Update 25 early (nor simply use the files from the PTS)—it will begin the morning of the update’s launch. Once the download has begun, it’s simply a matter of waiting for it to complete and launching the game as normal. Easy!"
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are talking about truly clean removal (which is hassle) and install, I hope launcher does the job.

Unless it was done by some lone indian coder with under dollar hour wage, whom I suspect did stuff for murkmire boxes rng.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New installer won't be available when I go to work in the (EU-)morning.

So I can just as well open the launcher, go to work and do a reinstall if anything got messed up.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just running the launcher and letting the patcher do its stuff worked fine for me with the PTS, I see no reason to do anything different with the Live servers.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm uninstalling and reinstalling, but that's because I'm also moving ESO to a new drive and it seems easier to do it that way than move the files across and then update. But it's not going to be a totally clean install because I'm keeping everything in the Documents folder (addons, saved variables, screenshots etc.) so I don't have to re-do all my settings from scratch.

If I was keeping ESO in the same location I'd just let the launcher update it as normal.
    Edited by Danikat on February 23, 2020 7:05PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let the launcher do its thing, I figure it's the safest option for now.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a clean install a few weeks ago. I know that my files and paths are where I want them going forward, so I will let the launcher update things and hope for the best. If I hadn’t recently uninstalled and reinstalled though I would do it tomorrow.

For anyone considering uninstalling, be sure to get everything. Before rebooting save the “Elder Scrolls Online” folder in your documents to an external location. This will retain your settings and addons to restore later needed. Reboot after using the uninstall utility. Then be sure that all Zenimax and Elder Scrolls Online folders are deleted from your Program Files and AppData directories. Then reboot again and get ready to download the launcher.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever :p
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• Maxx7410
    Maxx7410
    ✭✭✭✭
    question can we chose where the game will be reinstalled?
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS has designed the update to replace or remove what's already installed. I think you're only asking for problems by uninstalling.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just made 200 gigabytes free disk space, just in case... One last thing I want to see after I leave my PC on for the night is that the game did not installed...

I know ESO requires 2x times more "real" hard drive space than it is advertised. One is the download file, the other is install, so for a very short time, during the install process the game has to have a downloaded file, and a place to install it. So if it is 60 - 70 gigabytes, you need 120 - 140 gigabytes free disk space. This is at least how it used to work on PC.

One other thing I would do is to backup your Add-ons / screenshot folder, just in case.

Edit:
    I am not uninstalling the game, I will just update it.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 23, 2020 7:31PM
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone knows what the patch size will be without uninstalling the game?
  • moonsister
    moonsister
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope I don´t need the same space on top of the current installation...because I only have 27GB left on that drive.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No point in doing this. The patch worked perfectly with the PTS, and I see no reason to expect it to fail with Live.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure that it does not matter if it is uninstalled prior to the download. The only difference will probably be how work you do.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »

"ALL ESO players are required to completely re-download the game client upon the launch of Update 25. For the most part, this should not require any additional effort on your part; the ESO Launcher for PC/Mac or your console will begin the download automatically once the update goes live, so just let it run on its own. You shouldn’t notice any other changes to the launcher or download process, and your user settings and add-ons should remain untouched (although it never hurts to back them up!).

Unfortunately, it is not possible to begin the download for Update 25 early (nor simply use the files from the PTS)—it will begin the morning of the update’s launch. Once the download has begun, it’s simply a matter of waiting for it to complete and launching the game as normal. Easy!"

Now that you’ve quoted Zos as saying the word “Easy” I’m now starting to worry.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Ri_Khan wrote: »

Now that you’ve quoted Zos as saying the word “Easy” I’m now starting to worry.

Relax. I am sure it has been quoted before! :smile:
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just made 200 gigabytes free disk space, just in case... One last thing I want to see after I leave my PC on for the night is that the game did not installed...

I know ESO requires 2x times more "real" hard drive space than it is advertised. One is the download file, the other is install, so for a very short time, during the install process the game has to have a downloaded file, and a place to install it. So if it is 60 - 70 gigabytes, you need 120 - 140 gigabytes free disk space. This is at least how it used to work on PC.

One other thing I would do is to backup your Add-ons / screenshot folder, just in case.

Edit:
    I am not uninstalling the game, I will just update it.

bloatware
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    moonsister wrote: »
    I do hope I don´t need the same space on top of the current installation...because I only have 27GB left on that drive.

You will get an error that you do not have enough free space to install the game. The launcher needs a place to put the new download and a place to unpack/install it on top of the current install. That’s a lot more than 27GB. I got an error when I had 80GB free space for the PTS.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theyancey wrote: »
    Instead of relying on everything working smoothly tomorrow I plan to use my uninstall utility tonight to completely remove the game and launcher along with all old add ons and such. No sense littering the drive with bits of code here and there. I still have tons of old add ons left since game launch that haven't been updated in years. It will be nice to begin with a completely virginal install. Is anyone else planning something similar or do you plan to let her rip and see how things work out?

In general. Let the software do its thing.
    You as a user are far more likely to screw something up than the developers.

• SmukkeHeks
    SmukkeHeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It starts at 8 in the morning and ends at 18 in my time zone. So I’ll be at work for the most part and will have to live with an unnecessary appliance that’s left on power for so long.

What one won’t do...
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not uninstalling. I'm also not downloading and patching. I'm waiting for a stick from my friend with his install folder copy. When it gets here, I'll do what I've done before: rename the old folder, copy the new folder to my machine, launch the game to make sure it's working, and then delete the old folder.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since my investment in the current event have dropped well below zero I've decided to put off downloading for at least a day or two to see how things shape up for the early birds. Then I'll make a decision on how quickly I'll download it, or if I will at all.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just wait and see what happens. How big is the update? In GB, I mean?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was considering uninstalling yes. But...they haven't told us to do that.

Everyone wants this to go smoothly tomorrow, but I kinda doubt that will be the case. This is complex stuff, problems are bound to come up. Uninstalling is more of a last resort, should things go completely bonkers and the game just be totally upside down after tomorrows update.

Let us pray to the Divines (and daedra >:) ) of Tamriel that everything goes well tomorrow. :p
    Edited by VDoom1 on February 23, 2020 9:29PM
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I'll just wait and see what happens. How big is the update? In GB, I mean?

PTS was 68.5 GB.