The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Complete uninstall prior to tomorrow

• SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uninstall completely prior to the new download
    my problem is my SSD size isn't very big (cheap one w/ 128GB for ESO) so I'll uninstall tonight for tomorrow update. Hope there won't be any issue.
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Space isn't an issue for me. Last year I switched out my secondary HDD for another SSD. I have around 500 GB free on each. I have done clean installs a cou0le of times since launch with no other effects than the game ran better. The only downsides I have found is having to get a new access code from ZOS as it reads the installation as new and reinstalling what add ons I want this time. The access code is sent to me automatically so that is no problem. I took screenshots of my add ons to make it easier to grab just the ones I want from ESOUI/Minion. This will take me an extra 10-20 minutes but I am cool with that.

There are no problems associated with clean installs. Issues caused by leftover bits of code can crop up months later though. Anyone who has played this game for any length of time has seen issues caused by updates, maintenance, and downloads. I just prefer to run a tight ship data-wise and avoid any potential conflict later. My first computer experience was operating an industrial tape driven machine in the 70s. In the 80s it was an Apple. Then it was a Tandy DOS machine. I have always built my own computers since that time so I am confident that I can handle anything that comes up. Hopefully by Tuesday we are all enjoying an improved and smoother experience!
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, just let what will be happen
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Syldras wrote: »
    I'll just wait and see what happens. How big is the update? In GB, I mean?

PTS was 68.5 GB.

Thank you!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Yukon2112
    Yukon2112
    ✭✭✭
    Just live on the edge
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just uninstalled and quite frankly, I doubt I will download after the patch unless it's actually improved. My wife is downloading it though so I will see how it works on her PC.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to uninstall it on Wednesday to see how things go first, just in case. But I'm still undecided if i'll reinstall it again though. If I do, it'll not be on the same drive as my steam stuff, since I had bought it originally a few years ago from the ZOS store.
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • LeHarrt91
    LeHarrt91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm and what should console do?
    PS NA 1800+ CP
    Have played all classes.
    Warden Main

• L2Pissue
    L2Pissue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Completely uninstalling the game might actually be a bad move to be honest since uninstalling doesn't truly remove everything. You might end up creating a situation where you end up with little bits of code here and there that have a chance of not getting caught in the new installation.

This is so wrong 😔
    And people actually agreeing to it🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work the evening shift tomorrow, letting the computer stay on and download the game while I'm working seems like the best way for me. Also, a complete re-download might be slower even if I was home when maintenance is supposed to wrap up.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else (elaborate)
    Will let the launcher do its job, not moving the game back to my hdd have gotten better performance on my ssd and only have my os , security tools, browsers and eso on it. Got 800 gbs of room on it so will be fine with the patch.
    Edited by RedTalon on February 23, 2020 11:59PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many polls do we need on the very same topic? I linked the poll/thread that was created first. Also that poll is more direct with a clear yes/no answer.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/513390/will-you-redownload-or-uninstall-install-the-game-with-update-25#latest
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something else (elaborate)
    One thing will be true tomorrow, lots of tears in the rain due to the massive length of the maintenance.
  • AyeshaBelladonna
    AyeshaBelladonna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »
    question can we chose where the game will be reinstalled?

Not like what you mean, no. it isn't going to prompt you and ask. It's going to look like a normal (just really big) update. if you want to move where it is you will need to do that manually. AFTER everything finishes would probably be the best time.
    NA EP CP1200+
    Original: Mag/Templar Erestem Nightblossom (Tank/Healer Hybrid, Alchemist, general nuisance)
    Alt's? at this point...so many to play, so little time!

**RED or DEAD** Long Live EP!

Leather Lace- GM, ESO Grand Designs GM, Ankle Biter for Lone Wolf United, CO-GM of Tower of Wayreth,
    Master Furnisher & Housing fanatic, PvP junkie
    Beta Tester, part of the 2013 Club
  • caesarvs
    caesarvs
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    How many polls do we need on the very same topic? I linked the poll/thread that was created first. Also that poll is more direct with a clear yes/no answer.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/513390/will-you-redownload-or-uninstall-install-the-game-with-update-25#latest

Stop it guys, the moderator has arrived, although I don't see the "Z" icon there...
  • SpaceElf
    SpaceElf
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to uninstall prior to the patch, as it will be a capacity issue for my smallish drive.
  • PocketNova
    PocketNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will be uninstalling based solely on my experience with the PTS update. Space issues mostly.
    PC NA
    Master Angler
    Dressed as Wonder Woman
    Living in Hogwarts
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L2Pissue wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Completely uninstalling the game might actually be a bad move to be honest since uninstalling doesn't truly remove everything. You might end up creating a situation where you end up with little bits of code here and there that have a chance of not getting caught in the new installation.

This is so wrong 😔
    And people actually agreeing to it🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

How many times have you "Uninstalled" something and then found things from that program still lying around on your computer? I've had it happen so many times the first thing I do after uninstalling a program is finding it in the file explorer and cleaning up the trash that was left behind. Uninstalling a program never truly removes everything and the last thing you want is wasted space on your hard drive.

I still remember uninstalling one game and it never uninstalled the anti-cheat that came with it. That was a pain in the butt to remove I might add. Of course the ESO patcher might not get everything, but I trust it more than uninstalling the game completely and then reinstalling it. I know for a fact the ESO uninstaller leaves things like the ESO folder in Documents and Steam has a habit of never getting rid of the old folder the game was stored on. This is just my experience though and might not be true for everyone.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many woulld reinstall though?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    question? To do an auto update do I need to keep the launcher up and running?

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    question? To do an auto update do I need to keep the launcher up and running?

Yes
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is now gone. I've built in time in the AM to get everything going prior to leaving for Disney. Should be eady for me to brand the installation when I get back.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caesarvs wrote: »

Stop it guys, the moderator has arrived, although I don't see the "Z" icon there...

Good attempt at trying to be funny but it falls a little short.
  • Waynerx8
    Waynerx8
    ✭✭✭✭
    caesarvs wrote: »

Good attempt at trying to be funny but it falls a little short.

But he is correct.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just let it go dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK7qz13bU
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    So if I have 55.3 GB free on my SSD, does that mean it's not enough? Why didn't ZOS tell us how much actual space was needed in that case?

I assumed the patch would delete/download files in tandem. Otherwise, it's a bit of a stretch to assume that everyone has 100+GB of disk space for the client reinstall.

Can anyone confirm and not just speculate?
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    Best to HEED the advise from ZOS.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    moonsister wrote: »
    I do hope I don´t need the same space on top of the current installation...because I only have 27GB left on that drive.

You will get an error that you do not have enough free space to install the game. The launcher needs a place to put the new download and a place to unpack/install it on top of the current install. That’s a lot more than 27GB. I got an error when I had 80GB free space for the PTS.
    If that's the case I'm screwed. And they should have mentioned this somewhere, because this will probably happen to a lot of people.

I'm moving my install right now to a HDD with enough space, and move it back to my SSD after the update. Should work, but I'm not happy about it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i will clear everything and start a brand spanking new install.
  • Iphin
    Iphin
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    virtus753 wrote: »
    moonsister wrote: »
    I do hope I don´t need the same space on top of the current installation...because I only have 27GB left on that drive.

You will get an error that you do not have enough free space to install the game. The launcher needs a place to put the new download and a place to unpack/install it on top of the current install. That’s a lot more than 27GB. I got an error when I had 80GB free space for the PTS.
    If that's the case I'm screwed. And they should have mentioned this somewhere, because this will probably happen to a lot of people.

I'm moving my install right now to a HDD with enough space, and move it back to my SSD after the update. Should work, but I'm not happy about it.

I agree they should have mentioned it. I'm finding it difficult to believe that you need 100+GB of free space for this.
    "Those who believe in Telekinesis, raise my hand."
  • dimeolas7b14_ESO
    dimeolas7b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Just started again after a long absence. Tbh this is ridiculous. I'll uninstall here in a minute but if I am going to install something it wont be this.
    Have fun