Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eso vs WoW comparison

• Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Raideen wrote: »
    It looks like a game made for children.

I find it really odd that someone who enjoys playing a game full of talking cats, talking lizards, magic robots and thief characters who stole so much they became mischievous gods could criticize any game for being 'childish'. There's nothing wrong with WoW's art style or with something looking cartoonish. Some of the most amazing stories ever have been told via cartoon. There's nothing wrong with being a little whimsical.

Highly doubtful this person has played both games if this is their response to my comment. Either that or the very obvious meaning of it was lost on them.

Further, WoW story telling is not that great. It is done on the cheap in comparison to ESO. WoW does not think enough about their story telling to voice it.

They do voice the main story (not side stories/quests).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=4s79hGWKjNk

That may be so. I could not stand the game and remember reading a lot of test. What was voiced was clearly not very memorable.

What was voiced is extremely memorable to many people, that is why I posed that specific video. Just because you do not like something does not mean it sucks. Just because you do not like something does not mean that others dislike it too.

You hate wow, you shill for ESO...we get it. In the world of business however, WOW is the winner. Money talks, BS walks.
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overall ESO is a better game than current WoW, but i'd take TBC or WotLK over ESO any day. The overall quality of ESO is overshadowed by its many performance issues. WoW works, ESO doesn't.

"I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Diarf
    Diarf
    ✭✭✭
    World - ESO
    Lore - ESO
    Quest - ESO
    RP - WoW (Our community is dead af but :c)
    Music - WoW
    Combat - ESO
    Class - ESO (Freedom of builds. In PvP there is no clear meta vs usuless class. + You create that in fact. True RPG thing.)
    PvE - Idk. Both are boring for me.
    PvP - ESO (WoW PvP is 0/10)
    Sets and itemization - ESO (WoW here is garbage)
    Performance - WoW (ESO here is garbage)
    Customization - ESO
    Events/patches/content - Both are good in some way. ESO scaling make world alive but WoW exp are just bigger/better.
    Crafting - BDO (WoW and ESO systems are stupid, bad and SAD)
    WoW memes are better.

• RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    These topics have naturally been done to death. Bias abounds. In the spirit of having an 'opinion' though, I sit in the camp that ESO both is and isn't a good game.

For the first; as I suspect with the last, it depends upon what you came here for - what you expected - and ultimately what you received. Those things are surely obvious; but its worth saying incase some can't differentiate opinion and personal experience from fact. Whether some of the details are facts or not, isn't often easy to prove. So I'll discard even implying thus.

I came to ESO, like many after me; from a LONG history of PvP. Many mock Asian MMO's but pre-golden era, I started out on a small korean grind game. It only had one quest! Yes just one. Without voices even. But it was a community - and that made months talking (all we had to do really) so special. It felt more like decades and many of us became solid friends in a chatbox that never slept. 24/7 laughs.

That game was when I became a PvP addict. Aion Online years later was my main 'hook' and I played it to death. Right up until our good friend died; and it just wasn't the same anymore. (Miss you Mike!)

I lay that there; because it was my foundation. I had big hopes for ESO in PvP; and it left that bad taste in my mouth for the years of neglect, poor balance and otherwise. Kesil and I played for a while. For those that remember! But soon after, the game changed. Payment model shifted, what I felt was casual pve 'only' became the norm. That was it for me I suppose. I'm elsewhere again now.

For me ESO had its highs. But when it hit the lows - they were unexcusable. The old games we played had their bad points too. But never was the gameplay as adversely affected; and for so long; as I felt it was here. The lag, gosh in Aion I was 33 ms nearly all year. And when I wasn't - it was the servers. The net. Never the way the game was built. Here in ESO, I could probably go to the toilet and make a drink in the time the game took to recover sometimes (lol).

People complained about weaving. But it was a core part of Aion too. So us PvP players, we expected it. What we didn't expect? Gap closers that flung you into orbit. Loading screens even moving from 1 screen to another. Lag that prevented an entire map from functioning as advertised. Devs that admitted 'we don't know how to fix it'.

ESO as a 'product'; standing alone for its 'time' - well it was awful for me. When you ask is WoW better? Well yes it was for its TIME! Was Aion better? For me the same answer; for its TIME yes!

There are few things out there that people are playing. ESO, FFXIV, WoW? You know what I mean. But is anything of the polish, quality and care that I expect? No. Why?

Well because these are modern times guys. Those old games had just cause for mistakes and despite having some; didn't really get it too bad looking back. People cried at the way I would kill them in seconds few in Aion pvp; but in the end, looking back, it was pretty well made. We had years of fun.

I compare ESO to so much more, because ESO exists after so much more. Its devs have the advantage of a massively well developed social media. The ability to compare dozens of comparative products. And because of that, I feel the experience should have been MUCH MUCH better for its time. For your time.

WoW is old now. But it endures. ESO likely will too. So don't take this as some bash post. I'm over the anger I had for this game when I would die to a infinite loading screen that took gameplay out of my hands. But always remember what criticism is. Part personal opinion; part desire to try and do what we believe will help make something we care about better. You shouldn't simply dismiss someone, because you don't like what they say. Its all based on merit - and experience.

WoW has much better MMO style features than this game. But then, look at the differences in the original game designs. WoW was meant to be a play together (now called traditional) experience. ESO needed a hell of a lot of addons for me to get what I had in games like Aion (Thanks Andrew/Atropos for those days!) and to me that was really irritating. But I put up with it for friends.

Today, I understand that ESO is more pve/casual/bite size orientated. Thats great if you want that. But accept that so many of us didnt. Those PVP trailers were effectively a fairytale from early zos. Many got annoyed. Sypher, Lefty and the others especially and thats fair enough. I'm waiting for my next Aion. You are probably all waiting for a better ES game to come after skyrim. People are different.

The answer to this question (thread) is thus personal. If you prefer a certain style - wow will always be the king. ESO is never going to be 'objectively' better for everyone. And thats why these threads can be so toxic.

Either way, thats just my word wall. Lets hope developers one day make games again just as much for the passion, as the pocket book. Money is money; but its evident when its the focus isn't it?

Ciao /wave.

Edited by RainfeatherUK on September 5, 2019 9:52AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was voiced is extremely memorable to many people, that is why I posed that specific video. Just because you do not like something does not mean it sucks. Just because you do not like something does not mean that others dislike it too.

Maybe to some people it was "extremely memorable". To many others it was "are they still talking?"

WoW had a story to tell, but WoW is legendary for players not paying any attention to it. They even have a quest in Hillsbrad Foothills (iirc) that makes a joke of that. That quest sort of underscores a difference between the writing of WoW and the writing of ESO. Sometimes, the WoW writers stopped being serious and started being goofy in a way that was outside of the game world. Maybe those things are enjoyed by the players, but what does that say about the serious part of the game? To me, it says that the serious part of the game is probably boring, and people are looking for the jokes.

I think that Lieutenant Horatio Laine in Westfall might suggest that I am putting the cart... before the horse, but then he has a crime to solve.

I pray that ESO writers don't start getting goofy and start knocking on the glass of my monitor to get attention.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why though? Why all this WOW comparison lately? I like to read the ODD thread comparing the two but lately everyday someone is chatting about WOW..... on the ESO forums....

Is it just me?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why though? Why all this WOW comparison lately? I like to read the ODD thread comparing the two but lately everyday someone is chatting about WOW..... on the ESO forums....

Is it just me?

Long standing tradition whenever a new ESO Killer game comes out. In this case, it is a re-release, so a lot of people are familiar with the old new game, in general.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Comparing games that have 10 years of difference, at least, between them.

"Let's compare oranges and apples..."
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • bakthi
    bakthi
    ✭✭✭
    At first, I was interested in the Necromancer but then I saw the builds and they all favor generic abilities over the class abilities.
    You might check out this build:

https://www.xynodegaming.com/harvester

More than 50% class abilities, potentially more depending on the options (it's possible to have zero weapon skills on the front bar, which is just...crazy). I find a similar situation with my necrotank; there are so many class abilities I want to slot, it's difficult to make room. Certainly a better ratio than one generally sees on, say, stamsorc. I like running Potency, which is how he's showing the build in the video; you're constantly creating and consuming corpses on both bars, which feels right.

I only really played FFXI and PSO before this game; just watched my brother play WoW a few times. PSO is obviously a more simple game, so there's not much comparison (I have installed the fan translation of PSO2, but not had much time for it yet, what with ESO and life). I do love the Mag system, though, and it was hilarious how the chat filter censored some of their own weapon names (like Hell Laser or, my personal favorite, Frozen Shooter [because "***"]. "Frozen Sh**ter" is like that video where someone bleeped out The Count every time he sang "count" and made it sound super dirty).

I do prefer almost every aspect of ESO to FFXI, though I will say this: FFXI was split into world servers, but all countries and platforms could play together. I actually started on PS2 and moved to PC. Also, it had an auction house, and you could just AFK sell stuff straight out of your inventory. But the forced grouping was often torture, and I say this as someone with Maat's Cap. Someone mentioned something about ESO being like a single-player RPG with friends, and...yes, I prefer this. The more MMO aspects (Cyro, trials) are fun in small doses, but not my favorite parts.
    Army of me:
    CP810+: Breton Templar healer, Redguard stamina Warden, Imperial DK tank, Altmer magicka Sorceror, Orc stamina Sorceror/werewolf, Nord Necromancer tank, Khajit TG/DB Nightblade, Bosmer stamina Necromancer, Argonian Warden healer, Dunmer magicka DK, Nord Nightblade tank
    Second account, CP400+: Breton magicka Warden, Nord Nightblade healer/solo vampire, Bosmer stamina Templar/werewolf, Dunmer magicka Necromancer, Orc stamina DK, Argonian Warden tank
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    I believe, there must be a lot of people who played WoW before Eso (or do you still play?).
    I would like to know, what do you like more about Eso? Why did you run from WoW to Eso? Which features of WoW would you like to see in Eso?

Left WoW about 6 months after ESO came out. Last play was getting my main to max level in Warlords of Draenor, which took just a couple days.

Elder Scrolls.
    Better graphics.
    Better quests.
    Better writing (plus.. more on point, less "cutesy")
    More dynamic combat
    "Expansions" do not make dead zones

I want the ESO devs to stay as far away from Blizzard/Activision/WoW as possible. Being on the same continent (North America) is too close. Retraining should happen whenever someone in ZOS suggests a feature from WoW. :)

I played WoW since Vanilla and left about 8 months ago during the BFA debacle. I had never cancelled my subscription in all those years. ESO is far superior in every way except server performance (don't know about PVP cuz I despise it)

I think WoW has become confused on the direction of the game by trying to make everyone happy. Classes are a shadow of their former selves, devs have no respect for their players and Ion, the game director appears to have absolutely no idea what makes an MMO successful AND has no desire to learn. Been going downhill since Activision.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    always loved the pvp in wow, was the main and mostly only reason i played it. The tactics and gameplay is very rewarding and skill based, plus all the modes. And all the gimmicks with macros and stuff.

left it after MoP was over, that patch for me was when every spec was an option and viable. I would go play MoP pvp right now if i could. I played on a private server but no modifications, official was too expensive for me.

now ESO is much better in combat even tho very imbalanced, but also extremely customizable combat style. This was the deciding point for me, but still needed the last drop. Then the price convinced me.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Vaerth
    Vaerth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    I believe, there must be a lot of people who played WoW before Eso (or do you still play?).
    I would like to know, what do you like more about Eso? Why did you run from WoW to Eso? Which features of WoW would you like to see in Eso?

I am actually at this point deciding between leaving WoW for ESO. I have played both on an off for years. I do not care for the combat in ESO as much as WoW. I do not like the 5 buttons we get in ESO and the bar swapping. It ruins the immersive feel to me when I have to bar swap, personally.

With it being a WoW vs ESO thing, I would say I like the world and the character creation in ESO. With WoW, I like the combat and the world enemies. In ESO it just feels like I am fighting human and elf all the time, not much in the way of monsters to fight if you will lol.

I also really dislike Magicka in ESO. As in, I am forced to use a Staff to play Magicka. As a Death Knight main in WoW, I love the one big weapon and dark magic combo. Tryign this on my Necro does not work, as Magicka requires me to use a staff. And, well, no staff ever felt right for me. I simply wanted a nice 2H weapon with my class spells, and everything just will not be great without a Staff if I want to focus on Magicka. For me, that is a big let down.

For weapons, ESO is ok but they lack things like a Spear. I do not want to play a Templar, I wanted a Spear for my Warden and that is not an option. I do love the outfit / costume system in ESO but they really need to add more weapon types. Magicka weapon types would be a good start.
    Pact Bloodwraith
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaerth wrote: »
    Greetings,

I am actually at this point deciding between leaving WoW for ESO. I have played both on an off for years. I do not care for the combat in ESO as much as WoW. I do not like the 5 buttons we get in ESO and the bar swapping. It ruins the immersive feel to me when I have to bar swap, personally.

With it being a WoW vs ESO thing, I would say I like the world and the character creation in ESO. With WoW, I like the combat and the world enemies. In ESO it just feels like I am fighting human and elf all the time, not much in the way of monsters to fight if you will lol.

I also really dislike Magicka in ESO. As in, I am forced to use a Staff to play Magicka. As a Death Knight main in WoW, I love the one big weapon and dark magic combo. Tryign this on my Necro does not work, as Magicka requires me to use a staff. And, well, no staff ever felt right for me. I simply wanted a nice 2H weapon with my class spells, and everything just will not be great without a Staff if I want to focus on Magicka. For me, that is a big let down.

For weapons, ESO is ok but they lack things like a Spear. I do not want to play a Templar, I wanted a Spear for my Warden and that is not an option. I do love the outfit / costume system in ESO but they really need to add more weapon types. Magicka weapon types would be a good start.

I've been playing ESO off and on and if you don't like the combat. It is not worth playing.

I'm just waiting on Borderlands 3.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comparing games that have 10 years of difference, at least, between them.

"Let's compare oranges and apples..."

Oranges are more fun to peel... :neutral:
    Vaerth wrote: »
    I do not like the 5 buttons we get in ESO and the bar swapping. It ruins the immersive feel to me when I have to bar swap, personally.

Bar swapping is annoying, and clearly not what the developers intended. I find the limited number of actions that I can perform makes me think more about what I am doing. In WoW, I actually had too many bars with too many things. ESO was a little tight, but I had already managed to get WoW under control, so it wasn't too bad.

The biggest change, which wasn't a jarring one since I had played the Elder Scrolls single player games, was the directed weapon attacks and lots of movement during combat. Two huge improvements over WoW, in my opinion.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it really odd that someone who enjoys playing a game full of talking cats, talking lizards, magic robots and thief characters who stole so much they became mischievous gods could criticize any game for being 'childish'. There's nothing wrong with WoW's art style or with something looking cartoonish. Some of the most amazing stories ever have been told via cartoon. There's nothing wrong with being a little whimsical.

Highly doubtful this person has played both games if this is their response to my comment. Either that or the very obvious meaning of it was lost on them.

Further, WoW story telling is not that great. It is done on the cheap in comparison to ESO. WoW does not think enough about their story telling to voice it.

That may be so. I could not stand the game and remember reading a lot of test. What was voiced was clearly not very memorable.

You hate wow, you shill for ESO...we get it. In the world of business however, WOW is the winner. Money talks, BS walks.

LOL. I am glad you like it.

I do laugh and your BS walks line as it is pretty sad. I agree WoW has been the undisputed heavy weight of the MMORPG genre and no one will hit the peak active subs. I do understand the nostalgia some have for the game the used to play and may still. However, WoW stopped saying how many subs they have because it is in serious decline. Oddly , ESO total active players has been on an increase.

It is still a clear fact that the animation of WoW is childlike and it is made on a much smaller budget than ESO due to quality differences across the board. The only issue with ESO is they bit off more than they could handle which has hindered performance in certain areas. Something WoW could not be accused of since they do not try to push boundaries in any measure.

Clearly you agree with this to a great degree since you are here in this forum. I only spend time in a forum for a game I prefer. Even games I used to play and sometimes return to I do not post in their forums as it is not worth my time.

EDIT: and WoW was a great game in it's day. That day is over and it is just antiquated now.
    Edited by idk on September 5, 2019 4:02PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

LOL. I am glad you like it.

I do laugh and your BS walks line as it is pretty sad. I agree WoW has been the undisputed heavy weight of the MMORPG genre and no one will hit the peak active subs. I do understand the nostalgia some have for the game the used to play and may still. However, WoW stopped saying how many subs they have because it is in serious decline. Oddly , ESO total active players has been on an increase.

It is still a clear fact that the animation of WoW is childlike and it is made on a much smaller budget than ESO due to quality differences across the board. The only issue with ESO is they bit off more than they could handle which has hindered performance in certain areas. Something WoW could not be accused of since they do not try to push boundaries in any measure.

Clearly you agree with this to a great degree since you are here in this forum. I only spend time in a forum for a game I prefer. Even games I used to play and sometimes return to I do not post in their forums as it is not worth my time.
    It's clear you have some vendetta against WoW, but your constant unsubstantiated complaints are getting boring by now.
    • WoW stopped publishing sub numbers 4 years ago, and didn't publish their sub numbers even during Legion which was an extremely successful expansion. No other game on the market publishes their active sub numbers so why would should WoW?
    • ESO never published sub numbers, nor active player numbers so I fail to see where you're getting the 'increasing active players' assertion from. Even if ESO did publish active players, you wouldn't be able to compare it to WoW since WoW's sub numbers are paying customers while ESO's 'active players' can be non-ESO+ free-to-players.
    • The number ESO keeps announcing are total accounts. Not current players, and certainly not subs. There was some guy in the '13 million players and counting' thread that posted the Xbox statistics for ESO accounts... and only 7% of ESO accounts reached level 50, so you can bet that a huge proportion of those '13 million accounts' have been offline for years, or are just bots or free to play accounts that don't actually play the game.
    • Newsflash: WoW was released in 2004 while ESO was released in 2014. You can't compare budgets, lol. But if you want to look at some animations (funny you should pick animations since ESO's animations look incredibly glitchy and spastic due to animation cancelling), there you go, these were updated over a year ago, WoW devs clearly keep sinking more dev time and money into improving their game, even if it runs on a 15+ year-old engine. https://youtube.com/watch?v=n-ZCQnqckOA
    • Your own forum habits don't apply to everybody. Plenty of people on the ESO forums already told us they're just disgruntled ex-players waiting for the performance upgrades or some improvement, hoping to return. I post on the ESO forums even though it's not the game I prefer, just a game I like. And posting on the forums of one game doesn't mean that we agree with hating an other game.
    • People are allowed to like more than one game you know. Say no to fanatical tribalism. Tribalism bad. :smile:
    Edited by bluebird on September 5, 2019 4:27PM