Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eso vs WoW comparison

• Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never played wow.

What is eso doing better than wow? Graphics. That's all.
    What, you disagree?

Wanna talk about how glitchy combat looks like in ESO?
    Wanna talk about how PvP lacks purpose?
    Wanna talk about how ez it is to obtain gear?
    Wanna talk about classes?
    Wanna talk about how characters are parked in a town using GF instead of adventuring?
    Wanna talk about how ez overland is and how there is 0 player interaction?
    Wanna talk about how there is no guild sense?
    Wanna talk about how watered down the story has become since IC dlc?
    Wanna talk about crown store?
    Wanna talk about performance?
    Wanna talk about only 2 servers?
    Wanna talk about how they chose to grab more players by spreading thin with 3 platforms?

Wanna talk about how it does not feel like an mmorpg but rather as an ez as fvck rpg, with team mode stages(dungeons/trials) and an unplayable PvP side game (even though it was advertized as an epic battle field [oh boy, how dissapointed I get when I remember the first Three Banner War cinematics]) with endgame being decorate houses that offer no real functions?

Never played wow. I have played other mmorpgs.
    But here you are. Talking trash about WoW, a game that got out in 2003, still going strong.
    Why? Because it has a community and players interact with each other, unlike ESO.

Can we close this topic now? Eso bashing isnt allowed. Other mmorpgs shouldnt be bashed by angry little white knights

It's funny people say WoW is bad game. Yet after 15 years it still reigns with no fear of a wow killer. It was and still is the most successful mmo with the highest amount of subs since its release and still has more active subs then all other mmo's combined times 10.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW looks and feels like it came out in 2004. ESO doesn't.

WOW came in 2003, ESO came in 2014 but feels so 2000 because of it's performance issues.
    Edited by Delparis on September 2, 2019 2:50PM
  • vilio11
    vilio11
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you guys make it seem like only wow has legitimate class diversity and identity, when literally every mmo aside from ESO has that. Even the worst mmos out there beat ESO in that regard.

Genuine question. Who are the MMOs with better class diversity and identity than ESO.
  • OsManiaC
    OsManiaC
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never played wow or any other mmo than UO

I just hate cartoonish graphics (I dont know the word for it) like wow, team fortress 2, overwatch, that diablo 2 clone game I forgot, warcraft3 ,or any cutie pie things.

I like dark or not so pinky pinky atmosphere. eso is not even dark but it is oj
    GM of The Argonian Kebab, The Argonian Steak & The Argonian BBQ - PC - EU (The Tamriel Kitchen) @OsManiaC

Don't worry, the tail grows back!
    if it breathes we eats. #justbosmerthings - we can detect stealth boy NPCs and hunt them thanks to our skill!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/osmaniac
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazsper77 wrote: »
    Before anyone says WOW nostalgic, please Morrowind,Summerset and Elswyer. ZOS played that game to keep and bring in TESO players.

you know, everyone's favorite main series TES games, summerset and elsweyr... wait...
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vilio11 wrote: »
    Some of you guys make it seem like only wow has legitimate class diversity and identity, when literally every mmo aside from ESO has that. Even the worst mmos out there beat ESO in that regard.

Genuine question. Who are the MMOs with better class diversity and identity than ESO.

Every other MMO.
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OsManiaC wrote: »
    I never played wow or any other mmo than UO

I just hate cartoonish graphics (I dont know the word for it) like wow, team fortress 2, overwatch, that diablo 2 clone game I forgot, warcraft3 ,or any cutie pie things.

I like dark or not so pinky pinky atmosphere. eso is not even dark but it is oj

So its more visually versus content. While WoW is cartoonish, it has a large amount of seriously dark and gruesome undertones and content.

Same with ESO while being in a realistic fantasy image and tone, it has a lot of very light hearted, cartoonish, comical and cute content in nearly every single zone. Good example is the DBHood dailies, never giggled so much in my life. Hell, I expect Elam to start singing "Look on the Bright side of life" each time i pick up a contract on an alt due to his dry witt and snooty sarcasm. While the main quest plot is serious and rather grim, despite it being rather short, the dailies make the bulk of it and are far from grim, but almost a water down dark comedy.

While going off of graphics is subjective. Content should hold a defining role as well.
    Edited by StormeReigns on September 2, 2019 8:03PM
  • zidders_ESO
    zidders_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I liked WoW. The only reason I stopped playing is because a lot of my friends who played it ended up moving on for various reasons. None of those reasons were the game-we still appreciate our time with it and the memories it brought us. Most of them just didn't have much time for online gaming anymore. I've played Everquest, Asheron's Call, Vanguard:Saga of Heroes, WildStar, SW:TOR and Lord of the Rings Online and have had many memorable encounters in all of those. I'm more into playing games single-player now and since I love the Elder Scrolls series and this allows me to explore more of its world and stories this was a perfect fit. I love the writing and the environments are beautiful.

That said I'm still trying to get into combat and skills. Not to knock the devs of any of their games but the only time I really enjoyed Elder Scrolls combat was when I could mod Skyrim and swap out the default skills for skills more in-line with my preferred playstyle (I love summoning and so far I haven't found any summon builds I like). Even so I'm enjoying using my battlemage and necro characters spells to blast enemies to low health before knocking them down the rest of the way with staff spells.

I just wish there was less animosity towards other games in this thread. If you don't like WoW or other games that's fine. There's no need to insult them, the people who enjoyed them or the efforts of those who made them.
  • zidders_ESO
    zidders_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    wow was made on the cheap

According to an interview with a former lead dev it took 4.5 years to make vanilla WoW at a cost of $63m-$100m dollars. Adjusted for inflation that's close to $100m-$150m. Plus the first expansion cost $25m-$35m (or $37m-$52m adjusted). That's not 'on the cheap'. In comparison at the time Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring had a budget of $93m in 1999 money (which was around the time WoW went into production). That's a big budget film with a massive budget for the time and vanilla WoW cost almost as much as it did.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    Never played WoW. The graphics alone turned me off but what else I’ve heard of it hasn’t appealed to me either.

My first MMO was SWTOR. I loved a lot about it, especially the stories and having real choices in dialogue and other aspects that had an actual impact on your personal story. I did not like the regular increases to max level and gear and that the best gear was only available via RNG drop.

When I was looking for another MMORPG to play in 2016, I considered ESO but was turned off by negative reviews (which may have no longer applied at that point?) and had the impression that it involved a lot of grind. I eventually settled on GW2 for the aesthetic, no grind, and the impression that your decisions would impact the game world or at least your own story (sadly that last is only minimally true in the beginning and not at all in newer content). I liked how much less I had to constantly pay for in GW2 as compared to SWTOR (both in real money and in game) and that I could get max level gear crafting so that endgame performance comes down to players choices, knowledge and skill. Heart of Thorns introduced amazing multi-level maps. Path of Fire was much more bland IMHO but the mounts introduced are amazing — great unique movement styles and animations!

ESO came back on my radar when I learned (finally!) that there was a Morrowind chapter (my first RPG <3 ) and I was wanting some variety and frustrated with changes/nerfs to several classes in GW2. I am very happy to now be here as well as I really like the lore and feel of the Elder Scrolls world and love the elves and khajiit! I also like the options for character customization in ESO, including making female characters without make-up if I so desire (it irked me to no end that in GW2 most options for human female characters look like made-up dolls, ugh!). I love ESO housing as it is sooo much better than that in SWTOR and GW2 doesn’t offer that at all. Mounts, on the other hand, leave much to be desired: the leveling up of the riding abilities is just tedious and all mounts have the same movement (as far as I have seen) and lack any feel of momentum like you are riding a creature or machine instead of just a speed boost.

Not very different story from mine, also came from SWTOR, never played WOW (except one time and I uninstalled in 10 mins, can't pass the graphics and feeling everything is empty, the quests so bland). Except I played ESO beta and 1 month, then came back at One Tamriel and kept playing somehow regularly. Morrowind is the best <3.
    I tried GW2 and I understand what you say about female models (btw have you tried asian MMOs??? They are even worseeee, mandatory heels, :D ).

I think that it's near impossible to jump into WOW freshly new, it's too outdated in a bad way. Same with EVE online (but in that case because of a bad newbie experience more than being outdated).
    Edited by Loves_guars on September 2, 2019 8:31PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    Game in general: ESO
    Performance: WoW
    As WOW is 15 year old, older than TES Oblivion this not very surprising. Yes new zones looks much better and they done lots of updates overall but its still a easy running game

As for backend, yes that was also 2004 servers they started on. This is way more of an joke as server load has not increased that much and most servers had one core back then unless you ran an multi socket system.
    So that one is Hordor in Fungal 1.
    WOW clasic uses shards, this is designed as an temporary way to fix the overpopulation in the starting zone at launch as people spread out, play less or quit it will be removed.
    This ones response is: how about then all players end up in the end game zones?

On the other hand in WOW classic.
    World-of-Warcraft-Classic-1-780x439.jpg
    Players standing in line to kill quest target.

ESO players take note then the next DLC drops.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »
    Wow overall is better.

I prefer the type of combat in eso, with animation cancelling slightly more action bases etc, but wow beats it in pretty much every other regards, and while the early graphics are not very good, and still aren;t to the level of eso, some of the environment are extremely good, for example, in my opinion surumar city looks better than any other place in eso.

M+ and raids also are way better than any content that eso has.

I played eso during bfa, but only because it was such a disappointment after legion, eso is not a good game, it's a decent game that could be really damn good, in the end it always disappoints.

Also to say that wow graphics are cartoonish isn't really fair, they aren't, they are half way.

Eso is a game to play when there aren't any other options, but it lacks a lot of things to retain my attention.

And while wow isn't extremely good either, it's better than eso.

If you really felt ESO wasn’t a good game you wouldn’t be here. I’ve never played a game I didn’t think it was good. It’s just seems rather absurd to do so.

That why I don’t play WoW. Combat sucks. Graphics suck. Stories suck. It looks like a game made for children.

So I don’t think WoW is a good game so I don’t play it. BTW. I am not saying ESO couldn’t use some real improvement but I’d rather play a good game that has some issues than a cartoonish antique that plays like nails scraping a chalkboard.
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow has autoattacks, autoblocks, autododges etc.

In ESO it feels more like gameplay.
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    Game in general: ESO
    Performance: WoW

• Slayer62
    Slayer62
    ✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »

WOW came in 2003, ESO came in 2014 but feels so 2000 because of it's performance issues.

• einexile
    einexile
    Soul Shriven

This is nothing to be ashamed of. Most of the surviving MMOs from that period are better games than both ESO and WoW. EverQuest, Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, Shadowbane, Ryzom, arguably Eve and EQ2. In the first three cases it's not even close. There's a reason old looking MMOs have a lasting appeal. They looked like crap back then, also. It was all about complexity, atmosphere, a feeling of danger, and world sense. It was about making the world enormous and varied and the combat system complex, by delivering them in a simple package, which allowed the PC to do much more than people focused on beautiful games assumed was possible.

Over time this old look has earned many people's trust - culminating in the unprecedented popularity of Minecraft - while newer games struggled with the supposed demand for "better" graphics (heaven forbid a video game LOOK like a video game) by compromising on map size, party size, the number of players allowed in a zone together, and how the world is connected. Nearly all of these modern games have died off while the old-timers live on, and the very few exceptions have succeeded because they adapted with something special: WoW with radical changes each expansion and now Classic; FFXIV with an extremely beautiful game and a franchise history of small parties and personal quests; and ESO with its everything-for-everybody setup. Apart from some traditional Asian MMOs whose lasting appeal is beyond my comprehension, all the other fancy newfangled MMOs are either dead or dying.
  • zidders_ESO
    zidders_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like a game made for children.

I find it really odd that someone who enjoys playing a game full of talking cats, talking lizards, magic robots and thief characters who stole so much they became mischievous gods could criticize any game for being 'childish'. There's nothing wrong with WoW's art style or with something looking cartoonish. Some of the most amazing stories ever have been told via cartoon. There's nothing wrong with being a little whimsical.

• jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    I believe, there must be a lot of people who played WoW before Eso (or do you still play?).
    I would like to know, what do you like more about Eso? Why did you run from WoW to Eso? Which features of WoW would you like to see in Eso?

Wow has more content and runs "smoother" but graphically, combat,quest structure, socialization and customization is eso hands down. Wow runs smooth but people forget it's an old old game and is not as graphically taxing. Not to mention eso also has more build diversity despite ppl tending to flock to a fotm build.
    Edited by jircris11 on September 2, 2019 9:58PM
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top 20 tanks on WoW here.....

World of Warcraft
    • PVE content is far more challenging
    • Group dynamic is far more interesting
    • Mechanics are far better
    Elder Scrolls Online
    • Combat system is far more in depth
    • PVP is more skill based in terms of 1v1, 1vx
    • Open World PVP concept far better (Cyrodiil w/ objectives)

I like WoW for PVE, ESO for PVP
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it really odd that someone who enjoys playing a game full of talking cats, talking lizards, magic robots and thief characters who stole so much they became mischievous gods could criticize any game for being 'childish'. There's nothing wrong with WoW's art style or with something looking cartoonish. Some of the most amazing stories ever have been told via cartoon. There's nothing wrong with being a little whimsical.

A little whimsical? I think that the Human hand model was larger than some real world cars! :) Ok, ok, ok.... their heads. Larger than their heads.

658127.jpg

I just prefer the Elder Scrolls character models better, I guess.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

I dont want ESO to be more like WOW
    I never played WOW and never will
    I won't leave ESO for WOW because
    I AM NOT INTERESTED IN WOW
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

You have to understand, both are MMORPGs and will be compared. You're not the first ESO fan to be like this.

If you think ESO is flawless its not and has a lot to learn from WoW.

And for @lordrichter you comment, I completely agree. ESO art/models is far better.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

I never said ESO is flawless.
    I complain about plenty of things.
    I disagree completely.
    ESO does not have to learn ANYTHING from WOW. ESO is it's own game and should remain that way.

If people prefer WOW then they should just play WOW and stop trying to make ESO into WOW.
    Edited by Katahdin on September 2, 2019 11:15PM
  • Bananko
    Bananko
    ✭✭✭✭
    While TESO remains my main MMO, I play WoW and some other MMO's as well.

And I like them all (particularly TESO). :)
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

I disagree completely.
    ESO does not have to learn ANYTHING from WOW. ESO is it's own game and should remain that way.

And this is why ESO PVE is slightly a joke.. I went into a trial and the tank was like "Wow! We have to tank swap! thats cool" been a mechanic on WoW for 15 years, eso just got it? and ESO has like no group effort works in trials except rezing... It needs more to it. I will say though., ESO has been improving!
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

I disagree completely.

And this is why ESO PVE is slightly a joke.. I went into a trial and the tank was like "Wow! We have to tank swap! thats cool" been a mechanic on WoW for 15 years, eso just got it? and ESO has like no group effort works in trials except rezing... It needs more to it. I will say though., ESO has been improving!

Guess you haven't done too many vet trials.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A little whimsical? I think that the Human hand model was larger than some real world cars! :) Ok, ok, ok.... their heads. Larger than their heads.

658127.jpg

The character graphics on that game were god awful. The landscape graphics - while certainly cartoonish - I could live with since they were stylish in their own way and were often accompanied with an excellent score. But the characters looked liked deformed globs of texture. It was hard for me to stomach looking so stupid. And the armor.... don't even get me started on that. It looked like something a 12 year old would come up with.
    Edited by Jeremy on September 3, 2019 12:03AM
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously who cares?!

ESO is not WOW
    WOW is not ESO
    They are different games

I disagree completely.

Guess you haven't done too many vet trials.
    Compared to mythic and even heroic raiding/dungeons, yes, ESO PvE vet trials are a joke.
  • zidders_ESO
    zidders_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It's like saying Ferrari has nothing to learn from Toyota. Despite their cars looking different there are many aspects of car design that manufacturers have learned over the decades that all manufacturers find useful. Things like which materials are safer and lighter, how to more effectively reduce drag, safer materials and better ways to protect drivers and passengers-things like that. Same with WoW. There are aspects of gameplay unique to all massively multiplayer online games that result in bits of knowledge all mmo's can benefit from. Ways to present lore, different ways to funnel players through areas, how best to lay out lore so that players are getting into it without overloading them with info and making them feel they're in a book-reading simulator. Stuff like that.

Saying it has nothing to learn from it is silly. It's the most successful online mmo ever in terms of how long it's lasted and how many people have played it. For ESO's devs to not learn all they can from how and why it's been so successful and try and adapt its successes to their game in ways that will help it become more successful and long lasting would be foolish. Just like it would be foolish for the folks behind WoW to not look at things ESO does successfully and see if they can't apply it to their game to help make it better. The great thing is ESO and WoW don't need to compete. There are enough gamers to go around that both games can do well and last a long time without either trying to out-do one another. That doesn't mean it's not fun to compare the two. A
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vilio11 wrote: »
    Yeah, as others said, every other MMO basically. Even ancient ones like GW1 - Dervish had Enchantment stripping which was a totally unique mechanic, you could use Echoes and Shouts on a Paragon to extend buffs, an Assassin could deliver insane damage if they delivered a combo sequence without interrupting it by casting other skills.

GW2 also allows classes to be flexible when choosing weapons like ESO and yet they still play differently and keep their class identity - a Staff Mesmer will play differently from a Staff Elementalist, and a Staff Mesmer will play differently from a Greatsword Mesmer. In SWTOR as well, you had unique abilities that classes could do while ESO keeps giving all unique skills to guild/wep skill lines like chain, teleport strike, etc. In WoW a single class (Fire mage / Frost mage / Arcane mage) has more build and spell diversity in it than all of ESO's Magicka specs combined.

658127.jpg
    latest?cb=20160101031905
    Screenshot-20190604-232940.png
    ESO is perfectly anatomically correct and not whimsical or childish at all, yes? :wink: Brb, I need to help a cat princess retake her land from a bunch of mustache-twirling evil talking dragons while I also fight zombies and necromancers and have a whimsical quest with a Monty Python comic relief character who looks like he's going to die but wait no of course he doesn't because this is a children's story. :smile: