Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eso vs WoW comparison

kralskritek
Greetings,
I believe, there must be a lot of people who played WoW before Eso (or do you still play?).
I would like to know, what do you like more about Eso? Why did you run from WoW to Eso? Which features of WoW would you like to see in Eso?

• red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game in general: ESO
    Performance: WoW
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    I believe, there must be a lot of people who played WoW before Eso (or do you still play?).
    I would like to know, what do you like more about Eso? Why did you run from WoW to Eso? Which features of WoW would you like to see in Eso?
    Comparing the 2 is like comparing apples & buckets, not even oranges as some might call them both fruit.
    And WoW always was and always will be a pile of crap.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no comparison. ESO is ESO and WoW is WoW.

Even though ESO is totes better yo.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    Comparing the 2 is like comparing apples & buckets, not even oranges as some might call them both fruit.

Pretty much a +1

WoW was made on the cheap. I find playing it like nails scraping on a chalk board.

ESO is great in every manner expect Matt not off lord then he could manage with the mega server design which is why we have performance issues.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are trash.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quests: eso
    world: tie
    classes: wow
    skills: wow
    combat: eso
    performance: wow
    visuals: eso
    pvp: wow
    solo pve: eso
    group pve: dunno maybe wow?
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Greetings,

Pretty much a +1

WoW was made on the cheap. I find playing it like nails scraping on a chalk board.

ESO is great in every manner expect Matt not off lord then he could manage with the mega server design which is why we have performance issues.

wow was made on the cheap...kinda a weird statement
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think WoW is a good game for its time when it is first released. I wouldn't go back to playing WoW over the MMORPGs you can play now. Everything about it is just outdated and leaning towards more of the grindfesty nature.

Instead of WoW, what I would like to see in ESO is actually something from Archeage. The exploration in ESO feels very 2D compared with AA. In ESO even the tiniest of hills is an impassable wall. Yeah, I know ESO isn't a sandbox and plays more like a themepark but seriously, the low level mount speed or exploration related gameplay is really bland and boring. There aren't many secret plays where you need to jump to, there isn't much you can do other than collecting a myriad of lorebooks/skyshards.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are both fantasy mmo's that have orcs and elves and some sort of story to base quests around. oh and in theory there is trinity of tank/healer/dps, there's pvp game mode, and small/large group pve content.

HOW above executed is very different. i didn't quit WoW for ESO. I didn't quit WoW for ANYTHING. I quit WoW when it stopped being fun for me, came back out of nostalgia and nowadays, every now and then - come back to it, to see how things are.

I started playing ESO becasue I liked the world, because the game felt appealing and because i was having fun with it. I know that there are people that have "one game to rule them all" mentality, but i'm to scattered to focus on just one game, so i bounce around, and play multiple games at the same time for different reasons and preferences. WoW has its charm. ESO has its charm. they are fairly different games when it comes to actual playing them, despite in theory being in the same genre.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played WoW. The graphics alone turned me off but what else I’ve heard of it hasn’t appealed to me either.

My first MMO was SWTOR. I loved a lot about it, especially the stories and having real choices in dialogue and other aspects that had an actual impact on your personal story. I did not like the regular increases to max level and gear and that the best gear was only available via RNG drop.

When I was looking for another MMORPG to play in 2016, I considered ESO but was turned off by negative reviews (which may have no longer applied at that point?) and had the impression that it involved a lot of grind. I eventually settled on GW2 for the aesthetic, no grind, and the impression that your decisions would impact the game world or at least your own story (sadly that last is only minimally true in the beginning and not at all in newer content). I liked how much less I had to constantly pay for in GW2 as compared to SWTOR (both in real money and in game) and that I could get max level gear crafting so that endgame performance comes down to players choices, knowledge and skill. Heart of Thorns introduced amazing multi-level maps. Path of Fire was much more bland IMHO but the mounts introduced are amazing — great unique movement styles and animations!

ESO came back on my radar when I learned (finally!) that there was a Morrowind chapter (my first RPG <3 ) and I was wanting some variety and frustrated with changes/nerfs to several classes in GW2. I am very happy to now be here as well as I really like the lore and feel of the Elder Scrolls world and love the elves and khajiit! I also like the options for character customization in ESO, including making female characters without make-up if I so desire (it irked me to no end that in GW2 most options for human female characters look like made-up dolls, ugh!). I love ESO housing as it is sooo much better than that in SWTOR and GW2 doesn’t offer that at all. Mounts, on the other hand, leave much to be desired: the leveling up of the riding abilities is just tedious and all mounts have the same movement (as far as I have seen) and lack any feel of momentum like you are riding a creature or machine instead of just a speed boost.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 2, 2019 12:35AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Left WoW about 6 months after ESO came out. Last play was getting my main to max level in Warlords of Draenor, which took just a couple days.

Elder Scrolls.
    Better graphics.
    Better quests.
    Better writing (plus.. more on point, less "cutesy")
    More dynamic combat
    "Expansions" do not make dead zones

I want the ESO devs to stay as far away from Blizzard/Activision/WoW as possible. Being on the same continent (North America) is too close. Retraining should happen whenever someone in ZOS suggests a feature from WoW. :)
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    I encountered a quest in wow where despite seven tries, we could not complete the Battle for Gilneas despite trying every trick we looked up. Buggy the whole way with NPC's not acting or lagging, and then at the end it would glitch before porting us back to the start. Apparently it has been buggy since 2012 and is a required quest to advance beyond the racial story zone. There were other bugs I encountered but this one was the worst, and definitely worse than anything I've encountered in ESO since 2015.

Obviously I prefer ESO for tons of reasons, but I felt compelled to speak about this because I hear people talk about wow all the time as if it has flawless performance, which I found to not be the case at all.
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played FFXI and WoW actively from 2006-2013. I ditched both for ESO upon release in 2014.

ESO is the new shiny MMORPG of the current generation. Both FFXI and WoW have their nostalgia and flavor, but ESO is now the meta MMORPG for me. WoW is archaic and primitive with aged graphics, bad quest design, lousy story-writing, vast empty dead zones made obsolete after each 'expansion,' and so on. The only thing I miss from WoW are some of the classes and skills/abilities, which were often drastically changed and/or nerfed, anyways.

No MMORPG is the perfect MMORPG, but ESO is the currently the closest on the market to my ideals of what I want in a high-fantasy MMORPG: solo & group PvE and PvP, matchmaking dungeon finder (PvE) & battle grounds (PvP), open-world PvP, many unique/flavor races/classes/skills/abilities, many customization options (cosmetics/costumes/mounts/housing/etc.), interesting storyline/premise, characters, setting, enemies, etc. And, of course, intuitive intertwining social-systems (guilds) and ingame functions (add-ons, etc.)

If only the MMORPG market wasn't so diluted with grindy pay-to-win Asian MMORPGs like Black Desert Online, Archeage, and so on. I can't even put those in the same category as Western MMORPGs like WoW and ESO.
    Edited by Darkmage1337 on September 1, 2019 7:26PM
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,900.
  • Keledus
    Keledus
    ✭✭✭
    I played world of warcraft since the beginning till just a couple years ago.. I quit when it just wasn't fun for me anymore and
    wanted something new, something where I could have fun and explore a brand new world. Ever since quiting world of warcraft I've been trying out several MMO's and none of them came close to what ESO is. I can make a entire list of pros and cons but at the end of the day one will always say that the game they are having most fun in is superior to the other. They both have their pro's and con's and frankly enough none of them matter aslong as you're having fun.

PC - EU
  • StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    quests: eso
    world: tie
    classes: wow
    skills: wow
    combat: eso
    performance: wow
    visuals: eso
    pvp: wow
    solo pve: eso
    group pve: dunno maybe wow?
    Quests = Eso
    Classes = Eso
    Skills = Wildstar
    Combat = Eso
    Performance = WoW
    Combat Visuals = FFXI, FFXIV
    Overall Visual = FFXIV
    PvP = ESO
    Solo = SWtOR
    Group = Both
    End Game = WoW
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »
    I think WoW is a good game for its time when it is first released.

There were far superior games at that time. UO, DAOC, SB, EQ, SWG if you wanted scifi and AO. And lets not forget EVE.

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

WoW has some nice environments with excellent server performance. But the combat system was just too clunky for me to ever really get into.
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played ESO for over 2.5 years. I don't play WoW (and never have). So I guess no comparison for me.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »
    I think WoW is a good game for its time when it is first released. I wouldn't go back to playing WoW over the MMORPGs you can play now. Everything about it is just outdated and leaning towards more of the grindfesty nature.

Instead of WoW, what I would like to see in ESO is actually something from Archeage. The exploration in ESO feels very 2D compared with AA. In ESO even the tiniest of hills is an impassable wall. Yeah, I know ESO isn't a sandbox and plays more like a themepark but seriously, the low level mount speed or exploration related gameplay is really bland and boring. There aren't many secret plays where you need to jump to, there isn't much you can do other than collecting a myriad of lorebooks/skyshards.

However, despite AA having more 'sandboxy' feel the land is boring to explore. At least in ESO, each place has a specific purpose and lore reason for being there. ESO is simply way more dense, and thus to me, still feels way more fulfilling to explore than Archeage.
    Edited by SirAxen on September 1, 2019 8:59PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play both ESO and WoW (and also played SWTOR, GW2 and GW1, I just like fantasy MMOs in general). :smile:

- The world: Both.
    I'm not disturbed by the more stylized comic-like graphics at all (and ESO doesn't have hyperrealistic graphics either), and some zones is WoW are amazingly designed with iconic landmarks. I love the world of Nirn and Azeroth equally.
    52805a257f5fd291bbc78df595e8ee9fab725c81_hq.gif

- The story: ESO (but SWTOR is better).
    I like that ESO has a lot of dialogue and quest choices, that makes replaying quests a bit more exciting. But SWTOR does it a lot better, where almost every single quest has different choices, which also contribute to your character's alignment which then also affects the story (e.g. a Dark Side Jedi Knight has a different story outcome from a Light Side Jedi Knight), and many of their class stories are so good they could be single-player games in their own right.

- Classes and Combat: WoW.
    I know this is a controversial opinion to have on an ESO Forum :tongue:. 1) But the variety of specs in WoW is truly exceptional. Every single healer plays differently and has unique skills in their toolkit, which can't be said about ESO. 2) WoW's classes have great identity and a lot of theme-appropriate skills instead of having to fill the majority of every character's bar with the same generic skills because they're so much better than class skills. 3) Despite the freedom to choose, almost all of ESO's skills are the same, the only difference is colour. Self-buff, DoT up, spam stuff throughout, repeat. 4) You have to actively block in ESO which is nice, but most others skills are static. There are no cooldowns on skills in ESO, there are nearly no proc-based skills, and almost no interplay between different abilities. This makes the rotation button-mashy and repetitive instead of reactive and rewarding. (Even SWTOR and GW1 had more creative combat than ESO).

- Crafting: ESO (or GW2).
    ESO's crafting is great and relevant at higher levels too, but the timegated research times are ridiculous. People don't want to craft 8 months from now, they want to craft now if they put in the effort to level up their skill. Since you can learn all crafting skills in ESO, it also feels a bit single-player-ey than most other MMOs where there is a healthy player-to-player trade going on since you can only learn two professions. The disovery-driven crafting process of GW2 is also a bit more exciting than ESO's.

- Character customization: Both.
    ESO's character creation has more options. Their outfit system is also better since you can use dyes whereas in WoW you can't. But ESO has a tons of costumes that are cash shop only. The same goes for mounts and pets, if you want mounts (aside from the basic horses, the Indrik and the occasional free promotion mount) ESO is going to charge you real life money while in WoW you can get 95% of mounts through gameplay. Acquiring collections in WoW is rewarding, in ESO it's an annoying paywall.

- PvE: Both.
    ESO's trials are a lot shorter than WoW's and have less mechanics. But it does have a lot of dungeons that are still relevant, and the Undaunted pledge system is more exciting than just daily randoms (which both games have). WoW has better dungeon and raid design, and they also have the advantage of difficulty settings (Mythic+, etc).

- Subscription model: WoW.
    ESO is one of the most overcharged games out there. Their 'Chapters' include 1 zone, 1 trial and 1 class for nearly the same price that other MMOs charge for theirs (Wow's BFA had 6 zones, 10 dungeons, 1 raid, 6 new races; FFXIV's Shadowbringers had 2 classes, 2 races, 2 raids, 5 zones, 9 dungeons). Apart from their 'Chapters' they release a measly 1 zone and 4 dungeons per year (which is still less than what other games give you in their expansions alone, let alone with all the new patches in a year). For the price of a sub, in ESO I can still only 8 characters, can still only get the same lame mounts through gameplay and have to pay extra for other mounts and costumes and houses and extra character customizations. The value of ESO DLCs and sub is vastly inferior to other games out there.

comp.png

I could add a bunch of other stuff but that would be mostly just bonuses instead of a comparison. For example ESO has the housing system and WoW lets you play pet battles with your non-combat pets, or that I like WoW's races more since they're more distinct (this just has to do with Elder Scrolls lore). I can't say much about PvP since I only ever PvP in any game when events or something force me to :smiley: And well, I don't think I even need to mention it, but... - Performance: WoW (obviously); ESO can't go a single patch without introducing some bug and the servers are just generally garbage.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »

For performance and team dev/management => GW2 is the best experience I ever have. Only the content was missing.
    Never seen a game with a team that fast to correct error and improve game.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no better MMORPG choice in PS4 , I will stay in ESO until the new game comes out !

Nerf , adapt , loop , that's what I do in the past 2 years

ESO is too PVP focused and they reject to separate the both worlds .
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2019 and wow still looks like hershey squirts in a toilet. That game is hideous and the shoulder armor is obnoxiously stupid looking.

Ill give wow credit for one thing~ their classes are by far better than every class eso has except for eso magic sorcerer.

Eso classes are mediocre at best. Trying to play any role on any class is very stupid.

• Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »

- Classes and Combat: WoW.
    I know this is a controversial opinion to have on an ESO Forum :tongue:. 1) But the variety of specs in WoW is truly exceptional. Every single healer plays differently and has unique skills in their toolkit, which can't be said about ESO. 2) WoW's classes have great identity and a lot of theme-appropriate skills instead of having to fill the majority of every character's bar with the same generic skills because they're so much better than class skills. 3) Despite the freedom to choose, almost all of ESO's skills are the same, the only difference is colour. Self-buff, DoT up, spam stuff throughout, repeat. 4) You have to actively block in ESO which is nice, but most others skills are static. There are no cooldowns on skills in ESO, there are nearly no proc-based skills, and almost no interplay between different abilities. This makes the rotation button-mashy and repetitive instead of reactive and rewarding. (Even SWTOR and GW1 had more creative combat than ESO).

I recently went back to play a bit of classic, purely for a bit of nostalgia, and I made my grandson (which plays a bit of ESO) an account as well to have someone to run with. After playing for a few days he said exactly what I was feeling too. The difference of the classes really make the game enjoyable as they all have their own feel. He's been jumping around trying quite a few of them. I logged off and showed him some of my old higher level druids, shaman, warrior, and warlock and he was floored. Even though he prefers the action combat of the new MMOs, not having to slot the same destruction staff and bow abilities on all of your mag and stam characters made each feel fresh and new. To me that was always one of WoWs strengths.

As to one of the posters asking why I left WOW, I left WoW years ago chasing the "next best thing" in the MMO genre, just like I had done on UO, AC, EQ, DAOC, AOC, WAR, and on and on, only to be let down time and time again. Oh it's been cool to hate on WoW for many years now but after it's release woes it was a solid MMO and I had some very memorable times throughout my many years of playing it. There's many things i like about both though.
    Edited by Zardayne on September 2, 2019 2:31AM
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming to a ESO board and asking what game they like bettet. Like really ? Let’s see if ESO has lines formed in 14yrs to do Quests. With server performance and Gamebreakber patch I’d give the servers 14 months. Smh

Before anyone says WOW nostalgic, please Morrowind,Summerset and Elswyer. ZOS played that game to keep and bring in TESO players.
  • Roxie5D
    Roxie5D
    ✭✭✭
    I really wished Wildstar had made it big and didn't die. It looked like a new age WoW :(
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Greetings,

Pretty much a +1

wow was made on the cheap...kinda a weird statement

Not at all. WoW graphics are very poor. They do not put the work into updating graphics to the quality that can be done today. I do not recall voice acting in WoW which saves them huge development costs and reduces the quality of their questing. They also use a small server design which saves revenue. When I played the game I felt I was playing a children's game.

So not very weird at all.
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    WoW has oceanic servers right?
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you guys make it seem like only wow has legitimate class diversity and identity, when literally every mmo aside from ESO has that. Even the worst mmos out there beat ESO in that regard.

That's really one of the reasons why I don't like this game as much as I could...

At first, I was interested in the Necromancer but then I saw the builds and they all favor generic abilities over the class abilities.